Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Washington Quarter Registry Thread

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any update on the grades of those WQs, @Whitewashqtr? I don't know about @KaleidoscopeQuarters, but I am curious.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Yes, I was curious as well! .,.and the survey says!!!!..... Oh yes, GO BRAVES!!!

• 2 of mine made the GC Banner!!

they both end this Sunday..

• WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

1932-D; MS64 - not cleaned. Was very disappointed it was not a 65. It has some luster, barely any ticks and looks a lot better in person than some 65s I've seen.
    1932-S; MS64 - was hoping for 64+
    1940-S: MS67 - This is a very clean coin with a lot of luster and a sharp strike. It's better than my 40-S MS67+
    1941-S; MS67 - was expecting this but was hoping for a 67+ as an outside shot. I noticed in the pic there appears to be some doubling in the date and motto... mostly the "4" and the "S".
    1946; MS67 - very lustrous with great color. Too many hits for a 67+
    1953; MS67 - was expecting a 67+
    1953-S MS67+ - not flat when it comes to luster and one of my favorite coins.

So there you have it!

HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received this purchase in the mail today. Very happy with this one!! MS66 CAC

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

That's awesome for a 66. 66s were usually what I called, BU... as in "Beat up"! That looks amazing! Congrats

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Whitewashqtr said:
    That's awesome for a 66. 66s were usually what I called, BU... as in "Beat up"! That looks amazing! Congrats

Wow, you have some high standards! Try that on the Seated Dollar and old gold threads. 😆

• MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    Coins will be cracked unconditionally prior to Regrade. Coins will be evaluated in current holder and only cracked if upgraded with Reconsideration.

So they won't know it came from an old 2.1 holder with a gold CAC?

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!

@david3142 said:

@Whitewashqtr said:

Wow, you have some high standards! Try that on the Seated Dollar and old gold threads. 😆

Not a chance. And yes, I do have high standards!

@mach1ne said:

@CoinJunkie said:
    Coins will be cracked unconditionally prior to Regrade. Coins will be evaluated in current holder and only cracked if upgraded with Reconsideration.

In reconsideration they would know because they have to evaluate it in its current holder. With regrade, they crack and send them to the graders as if they were raw, but you won't get a lesser grade than the original holder.

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

@Whitewashqtr said:

@mach1ne said:

@CoinJunkie said:

In reconsideration they would know because they have to evaluate it in its current holder. With regrade, they crack and send them to the graders as if they were raw, but you won't get a lesser grade than the original holder.

Just curious if You know what happens during Crossover...NGC PF70 Ultra Cameo = ???

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

yes.... they evaluate in the holder. They cant crack it because if it doesn't cross they would ruin the encapsulation from the other TPG.

• If you don't specify a lower allowable grade, PCGS will assume the current grade or higher is only acceptable grade. Of course, you can't go higher than 70 DCAM...

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

The Crossover Submission was an NGC PF70 Ultra Cameo

So if I specified PR70DCAM...and the coin has completed "Encapsulation" today and is now in "Holder Check and Label Verification"...

Is is safe to assume it crossed to PR70DCAM and I can assume notification within...how many business days?

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Negative. I learned that the hard way. It could be a DNC. Only time will tell

• Raw submissions and reconsideration submissions will go through all 4 or 5 stages on the website regardless of whether it crosses or not. I've had my bubble busted because I thought the same thing.. encapsulation=cross, but not the case.

@KaleidoscopeQuarters said:
    Negative. I learned that the hard way. It could be a DNC. Only time will tell

Have to agree with this. Sent in 2 coins to cross and they went to encapsulation. They were both even given CERT numbers so of course I thought they would cross but they didnt.

Thank you for the update @Whitewashqtr. :)

@TomB said:
    Thank you for the update @Whitewashqtr. :)

You're welcome! You were pretty close!!

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice display of high end quarters.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

@TomB said:
    I may have shared this in the past, but am not certain when, so please forgive me if it is dull. The 1932 issues are interesting in that most aren't found with substantial colorful toning. In my experience, they are either a cream-based color or have burnt caramel shades to them. Not so with this coin-

Oh boy do I like this one, Tom!

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

I just received 2 quarters back from the grading room. Here is the '51-S:

1951-S Washington Quarter MS65

The other one I will show later received a loftier grade. So stay tuned!

• Tim

That 1951-S looks a lot better than MS65!

@TomB said:
    That 1951-S looks a lot better than MS65!

My thoughts as well.

Seems we are really slow around here. How about another one of my long-term coins?

Here is the other Washington Quarter just back from grading. It wasn't a totally bad day at the (grading) office following the MS65.

1953-S Washington Quarter PCGS MS66+

• Tim

I bet that 1953-S has amazing luster.

In this week from last Sunday's GreatCollections auction. Coin has great overall luster in-hand and the reverse is very attractive, which makes up for the somewhat scratchy, less interesting obverse. MS66

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am really surprised this is only a 65

@davewesen said:
    I am really surprised this is only a 65

Yeah, if I thought it would have been a 65 coin, I wouldn't have sent it in. That was a disappointment. I conferred with others prior to the '51-S PC submission to get additional opinions so the return was not expected. My thinking was the '51-S and '53-S were at least 66's. My '52-S was held back because I am sure it is a 65 or less. Jason @erwindoc has been a good mentor in response to a few questions I have had. My '39-P is also close but not a good submission candidate either due to the reverse wing scratch. I have a DANSCO set without keys but also additional singles I am looking through for candidates:

1939-P

1952-S

• T

edited November 15, 2021 12:34PM

edited November 15, 2021 12:35PM

@Whitewashqtr said:
    I am so confused. I sent this in raw as a 1952-S/S and it only came back as a 1952-S. The grade was as expected MS-65 but WTF. Can someone please tell me what I am missing? Is this not clearly an S/S coin? So frustrating!

Thanks

edited November 15, 2021 5:48PM

Here is an enlarged image.

• @Whitewashqtr said:

@Whitewashqtr said:
    I am so confused. I sent this in raw as a 1952-S/S and it only came back as a 1952-S. The grade was as expected MS-65 but WTF. Can someone please tell me what I am missing? Is this not clearly an S/S coin? So frustrating!

Thanks

You have to mark "variety attribution" on the form and pay the extra money or they wont do it...

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Whitewashqtr said:

Here is am enlarged image.

Is this a PCGS recognized variety?

• Yes Sir, it is!!

I did mark variety. They charged me $9 instead of the $18 for attribution.

But I'm not crazy, am I? That's clear as day! Even in L.A.

• I would call them. They can fix it if it hasn't shipped out. Send pictures also.

I already received it back. They are such a pain. I really hate dealing with them. I sent them in in a PCGS box and forgot to put a note that I wanted the box back. I called them the day they received my order and they told me, "too bad, we cant find it and wont replace it". Plus, I was really unhappy with the grades I received.

Here are all the raw coins I sent in.

1939-S MS 66

1952 MS 67

1943 DDO FS-102 - MS 66
    This was sitting in an NGC holder and not attributed so this was a good find.

1952-S/S or 1952-S MS-65

edited November 16, 2021 9:55AM

I'm not even happy with the True View pictures. They seem very washed out.

• I've noticed less mistakes when I complete the submission form online as opposed to hand written hard copies. Which way did you submit?

Filled out the online submission form. No handwritten info of any kind. Box is clearly checked. But them charging me $9 for variety attribution. Here is a screen shot for that part of the form.

@Whitewashqtr said:
    Filled out the online submission form. No handwritten info of any kind. Box is clearly checked. But them charging me $9 for variety attribution. Here is a screen shot for that part of the form.

It seems you have a case to call them for a resolution and seek restitution from what you are stating.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2021 6:21PM

@Whitewashqtr said:

Here is an enlarged image.

that does not look like FS-501 shown in variety vista - it is a S/S/S with one to the north CPG looks same

varietyvista.com/09b%20WQ%20Vol%202/RPM%20Detail%20Pages/1952SRPM001.htm

congrats on the 67, do you know what type of holder it was in?

@davewesen You have a good point. It could be that @Whitewashqtr has a variety, yes, but it does not match exactly the one recognized by PCGS. I have a similar issue with a 1907-S Barber Quarter that has two, very clear, RPM's but only one is recognized by PCGS. This means the submitter has to do some homework to be sure their variety directly matches the one recognized. The RPM might be very obvious but if it is not in Fivaz Cherrypickers, and PCGS does not have a ready-made designation, it won't get a variety label. Good point you make.