Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Washington Quarter Registry Thread

Comments

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Tim, I think it would be worthy of submission. I think you are looking at at least a MS66 in your album, perhaps better.

Jason, So you think that long horizontal scratch on the eagle's right wing (viewer's left) will not bring down the grade below MS66? that is the main dilemma. The obverse on its own is definitely worthy.

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@erwindoc said:
    Tim, I think it would be worthy of submission. I think you are looking at at least a MS66 in your album, perhaps better.

Jason, So you think that long horizontal scratch on the eagle's right wing (viewer's left) will not bring down the grade below MS66? that is the main dilemma. The obverse on its own is definitely worthy.

• Tim

I think that it has a shot to grade 66 or better. I don't think it is bad enough to cause the grade to suffer. That said, you would have to look at what it would cost to buy a 66 or 67 vs what it would cost you to gamble on that one. I might even treat it with some MS70 prior to submission.

@erwindoc said:

@sedulous said:

@erwindoc said:

• Tim

I think that it has a shot to grade 66 or better. I don't think it is bad enough to cause the grade to suffer. That said, you would have to look at what it would cost to buy a 66 or 67 vs what it would cost you to gamble on that one. I might even treat it with some MS70 prior to submission.

Blazing luster already! I think it would be good as is. I will send it in doc. Appreciate your input.

Bumping the thread. This thread is for 3rd-party graded Washington's but I have this run-of-the-mill '52-S I am adding to my extended 20th Century Type Set with Gold. That requires coins like this to NOT be 3rd Party-holdered.

Here is the Capital Plastics holder it will go in:

• T

@sedulous said:
    Bumping the thread. This thread is for 3rd-party graded Washington's but I have this run-of-the-mill '52-S I am adding to my extended 20th Century Type Set with Gold. That requires coins like this to NOT be 3rd Party-holdered.

Here is the Capital Plastics holder it will go in:

• T

I like it and that set will look super sweet when completed! Are you going to do it in all mint state?

@erwindoc

I like it and that set will look super sweet when completed! Are you going to do it in all mint state?

Yes. I just finished the eight gold yesterday. Also trying to not "commonize" the set too much.

Also found this 1951-S in my stash last night. Seems 3rd-party gradable worthy possibly.

• Tim

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not remember seeing a Capital 20th century type holder including gold, should look nice filled.

@davewesen said:
    I do not remember seeing a Capital 20th century type holder including gold, should look nice filled.

I plan to get all the coins first before putting in the holder.

Did everyone see there are some WQ price guide gains in the PCGS Price Guide for earlier, higher-grade material?

• CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I hope that has implications for WQ set to be auctioned this Sunday on Great Collections.

Casabrown

• under graded at a 64 IMO..

@Casabrown said:
    I hope that has implications for WQ set to be auctioned this Sunday on Great Collections.

Casabrown

How many of them are your coins?

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KaleidoscopeQuarters said:
    under graded at a 64 IMO..

Luster is definitely gem worthy on the obverse, but it falls a bit flat on the reverse and I'm thinking that's what held it back, as there aren't enough marks/disturbances to warrant a 64 on that logic alone. Maybe I'll try a reconsideration when I send my next batch to PCGS.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a lot of color for a 1932 and it is quite attractive, as well. Nice coins below, too!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• @P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Picked up a '32 as the 24th coin needed in my double-sided toners silver WQ set. It's a 64, which is a point or two lower than what I can stretch for, but it's tough to find these early years with color (not to mention color on both sides), so I sprung for it and may upgrade down the line.

Here's what some of the rest of the set looks like:

Pocketchange,

I remember sending the 1956 in to PCGS for grading. Small World! I picked this one up last week. The iridescence is intense!

• 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well interesting auction price as GC this last Sunday for a Unattributed Type B in MS 67 1959, which will be a New Top pop and there was a few folks who saw it and bidding went for over 5 Grand. Nice looking coin. I did pick up one coin from the Erasmus Hall Registry Set of Washington Quarters.

Enjoy Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

Tom, Would PCGS MS-67 be the true entry point for higher-end Washington Quarter collecting? What would you say is the impact of CAC-stickered holdered WQ's? Some tougher dates maybe MS-65.

• A unique favorite of mine. Light frost on the reverse

• Some of my CACs are closing the next couple of Sundays starting tomorrow. One of my personal favorites is the 40-D MD67+. The GC pictures are terrible. Here are 2 accurate pictures. Gorgeous coin in hand.

• 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Tom, Would PCGS MS-67 be the true entry point for higher-end Washington Quarter collecting? What would you say is the impact of CAC-stickered holdered WQ's? Some tougher dates maybe MS-65.

I started my set 9 years ago and did not have the money I have today, so I started out with a lot of MS 66 coins because the MS 67 coins were to expensive. Than they added the plus to the grades well that is when the MS 67 became affordable and the big price jump was 67+. I like CAC coins but always just tried to buy coins I thought could upgrade. Now CAC coins seem to go for alot more than non CAC.

Tim.

You really should have told Ian to put from the KaleidoscopeQuarters collection. I am waiting for two or three of your coins but have not seen them listed on GC yet. Good luck with your Sale

Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • I sent Ian a message as soon as the picture showed. He has yet to respond. I sent him both sets of pictures and asked if there was anything that could be done. The coin definitely does not look like the GC photos. Oh well....

• I will send you the item numbers for tomorrow and next Sunday. They have 10 more which are several weeks away and not listed yet.

@KaleidoscopeQuarters said:
    Pocketchange,
    I remember sending the 1956 in to PCGS for grading. Small World!

Wow, that's awesome. That '56 is one of my favorites — the color gradient is super smooth and the royal blue toning is gorgeous. And I REALLY like the '34 you picked up.

Just arrived home from a trip to NYC and found these two new pickups waiting in my mailbox:

1950-S MS66 (will replace my current less colorful MS65 example)

1964 MS66 (fills a hole in my set — now 30% complete)

• Tomorrow... 1035179-103196
    Next Sunday... 1041273 thru 1041278.
    All at GC

• Nearly all are CAC approved

• Here is an example of a mark free WQ. It is a 67+, but arguably a 68.
    This coin was part of the Washington Rainbows Set. It may not have mind altering 🌈 toning, but the near perfection of the coin makes up for it.

This coin is CAC and is closing today at GC

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 1935-S! It looks like it has original skin, light toning and really good luster (especially on the reverse).

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@TomB said:
    Nice 1935-S! It looks like it has original skin, light toning and really good luster (especially on the reverse).

Per the January 2021 auction notes... "Both sides exhibit a frosty, silky smooth texture dusted with iridescent silver and sandy-gold toning. Here is a fully struck, condition rarity Superb Gem survivor of this 5,660,000-coin issue from the early Washington quarter series. Provenance: From the Washington Rainbows Collection, the #1 PCGS Registry Set of Silver Washington Quarters, 1932-1964."

Any pick-ups at GC last night? maybe the Jack Lee '93-S $1 overshadowed everything else.

• I know someone out there picked up a nice 40-D 67+ CAC.

I had my eye on a different 40-D CAC, but it was out of range for me unfortunately.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1024862/1940-D-Washington-Quarter-PCGS-MS-67-CAC-Toned

• The 39 MS68 I picked up from the Washington Rainbows sale is now CAC certified and available on GC's... Just FYI.. Tim

@sedulous said:

Also found this 1951-S in my stash last night. Seems 3rd-party gradable worthy possibly.

• Tim

Looking more closely at this mintmark, it looks like another S is under there. Cherrypickers or PCGS don't recognize any varieties per CoinFacts.

• Tim

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Picked up another couple of toners for my set, both MS66 —

And here's how the set is coming along (at least the ones I have TVs of) —

That is a nice grouping!

edited September 6, 2021 10:02PM

Saw the obverse, got excited concerning the color initially, oh well....

Newest addition. Always happy to find color on an early 40’s date. In a 66 holder.

https://d1htnxwo4o0jhw.cloudfront.net/pcgs/cert/38183935/large/176482242.jpg

• CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Love that originality

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Newest addition. Always happy to find color on an early 40’s date. In a 66 holder.

https://d1htnxwo4o0jhw.cloudfront.net/pcgs/cert/38183935/large/176482242.jpg

• @KaleidoscopeQuarters said:

A unique favorite of mine. Light frost on the reverse

At GC today.

• This is one I almost have memorized. I would pull from my collection to admire quite frequently. A beautiful coin in the hand. I miss it already.

Some America the Beautiful Quarters are scheduled to be auction via Great Collections tonight

• @Casabrown said:
    Some America the Beautiful Quarters are scheduled to be auction via Great Collections tonight

Did you notice they added the reverse proof coins to the set? Makes sense.

No, I did not notice as I was focusing only on the circulating coins.