Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

charrigan's Pick Ups

Comments

• Options
    Congrats Casey, especially on the Rocket and Yzermans. And welcome to the "random 4" club!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats on the grades.

That autographed '62 Abel card looks GREAT!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    This will surprise no one. 2 more Yzerman autos! One is a 86 OPC--brings me within 1 of completing the run of signed 80s OPC Yzermans (I still need an 85). One is a signed ticket that I got back from PSA.

• Options

2005 Ultimate Jimmy Howard PSA 10 - eBay. For some reason, I wanted a copy. Certain cards do that..
    1961 Parkhurst Bob Baun - TTM. Part of an ongoing effort to improve the grade of my signed set.

• Options
    That Baun card is really sharp!
  • Options
    Picked this up; one of the biggest additions to my signed HOF rookie set. It largely speaks for itself, but I will say that the thing I like best about this card is the quality of the autograph. If you look on eBay, so many Gretzky autos are totally illegible. This was clearly from a sit-down signing and done with care. Purchased in last month's PWCC auction in an SGC holder. Just back from PSA.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome auto on a well-loved card image
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Another awesome addition to your collection!! The Gretzky rookie that now belongs to Mullins was going to be cracked out and auto'd if I ever had the opportunity. But I'm happy it found a good home.
  • Options
    Casey, I saw this beast when you first landed it, but it looks even better in a PSA slab and with a numerical grade. Congrats again!
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick up!~
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    VERY NICE Gretzky! Congratulations!

I know you bought it already signed, but PLEASE keep me posted if you hear of another mail-in as I have a couple items I'd like signed.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    That's a real nice looking card and auto. ENJOY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

I don't know how often Gretzky signs; I haven't seen a signing publicized since I started working on the set. I think he's got an exclusive deal with UD that makes him tough and it's usually expensive ($200+). Still, he would be worth it on certain items and the PSA 1 that Mullins purchased from Davis would, I think, display very nicely signed.

I picked this one up for about $400, so it shows that there are opportunities far below the sky-high price points that a lot of sellers are asking for on eBay. The PSA population report shows a fair number of these signed and graded - 13 higher, I think. I'm happy with mine for now and don't have plans to upgrade it anytime soon.

Got a few more cards back from PSA. These are also HOF rookies and came back around what I expected. The Keon, I may have mentioned before, was a BVG 5 crack-out that I sent TTM. Very happy that it graded as it did. The Bower was a raw purchase on eBay that came back as expected (though I could have seen 1.5 or even 1 due to creasing, which is more apparent on the back).

On the Mikita, I am interested in your opinions and could post a larger scan if anyone wanted to see it. It was a PSA 4 crackout sent to a signing at Sid's Graphs in Chicago. I don't think it sustained any damage, but I suppose it is possible. I think it is on the cusp of 3 or 4 (or 3.5) and wonder if I should, at some future point, send it in to be reviewed. It's not a big deal, but I will probably do a batch of reviews at some point and if it seems reasonable I might do it. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the grade or if I'm just being silly spending money to improve the label on an excellent signed vintage card!

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>On the Mikita, I am interested in your opinions and could post a larger scan if anyone wanted to see it. It was a PSA 4 crackout sent to a signing at Sid's Graphs in Chicago. I don't think it sustained any damage, but I suppose it is possible. I think it is on the cusp of 3 or 4 (or 3.5) and wonder if I should, at some future point, send it in to be reviewed. It's not a big deal, but I will probably do a batch of reviews at some point and if it seems reasonable I might do it. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the grade or if I'm just being silly spending money to improve the label on an excellent signed vintage card! >>

Corners keep in borderline, but it wouldn't look out of place in a 4. I'm sure you'd get the 4 within 2 crack/resubs, but don't know if it's strong enough to bump on a review. I doubt you'd ever get the 3.5 with the T/B centering since that seems to be PSAs focus on the half grades.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Casey. You should hang on to some of those until there is a group red-flip sub. Probably save yourself a bit of cash.
  • Options
    Kyle: good point on the centering, I hadn't considered that. 3 to 4 bump unlikely?

Mike: I know - and probably should! I have one more batch that I'm going to send in that should be ready in December. I view the cost difference as an "enjoyment tax" that I pay for getting a few grades earlier and for the sweat of getting to refresh so often while waiting. Its one of the places where I'm willing to place hobby-fun over the bottom line. Still, the savings are substantial ($10 each) so I can't go THAT far overboard on my own or I won't have any money for actual cards! I will have a wreck to send in the group sub, too. I wish that we could get one running twice a year. The red flips have a lot of demand - I wonder if we and a few others could make it go.
  • Options

<< <i>Kyle: good point on the centering, I hadn't considered that. 3 to 4 bump unlikely? >>

In the current flip, yes. Submitted raw, I think it's 50/50 on 3 or 4. Not knowing what the value difference would be, I'm unsure if it would be prudent.
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups Casey! You up to number 1 on the ole registry set yet?

IMO the Mikita looks great, but probably not worth the re-submit.

As for group subs I'm eager to participate in 2 group subs:
    - Signed red-flip
    - Blue Flip -> Red Flip

Since you're eager to send in cards and seem to have figured out the system maybe you should be the next group sub organizer image
  • Options
    On Mike's recommendation, I have a message in to jsweiton to see what his timetable looks like. If there's more demand, I would be happy to look into organizing something.
  • Options
    Mailday misc!

1990 Pro Set Roger Neilson. "RC". HOF member in the Builders category. Deceased, so purchased on eBay.
    1997 Upper Deck Marian Hossa. RC. Private signing.
    1981 OPC Jari Kurri. HOF RC. Upgrade via eBay.
    2011 Parkhurst Champions Alex Delvecchio signed mini. Back from the August special. Here's an example of a card that benefits a lot aesthetically from being in a holder. Happy to keep this out of a sub of mostly resale!

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Great stuff Casey! Always enjoy seeing your newest additions.
  • Options
    A few cards to share.

I went to a public signing today at DC Sports in Sterling Heights, MI. They had 3 members of the Canadians from the 70s signing: Guy Lapointe, Serge Savard, and Jacques Lemaire. All HOFers and rightfully so--the Canadians were dominant for a stretch and they had a stacked team. I had sent in cards for Lapointe and Savard via mail order, but didn't pick up a RC of Lemaire (seems to be tough - not many on eBay) until right before the event so I couldn't mail it in time. Decided to go and get it done myself. Lemaire was a class act and there was, in my opinion, a great turnout for the signing. Here's what I got:

Other stuff

1977 OPC Brian Trottier RC. Private signing. I now have 2 and will keep 1.
    1981 Topps Denis Savard RC. eBay. Upgrade.

imageimage
  • Options
    Hi Casey, it's cool that you were at a HOF signing today too! Great looking card! I'd like to see the other 2 when you get them back.
  • Options
    Picked up a group of rare but not expensive signed cards. A few of these are "HOF Rookies" but for a hypothetical possibly too tough to even attempt Builders/Refs set. Still, I thought they were cool. And, my first signed Lumley item. Mrazek was TTM c/o Griffins. Enjoy!

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Glad to see you add another Yzerman auto. It had been a while!

Those cards with paintings/drawings look pretty nice. What set is that?
  • Options
    They are 1985 - 1987 Cartophilium Hall of Fame cards. I don't know much about them, actually. But, agree that they look cool!
  • Options
    Remind me a little of the earliest diamond kings artwork by Dick perez.
  • Options
    My biggest purchase ever. The #1 card in the 1961-62 Parkhurst set; like most first cards, especially difficult to find in high grade. Extra, extra hard to find in high grade and centered. This hit eBay about a month ago and I was fortunate enough to see the listing within an hour and make a deal with the seller to end the auction early. I waited to post a scan because I sent it to PSA to be reholdered--it previously had an inner plastic lining that I was not a big fan of. Just got it back today, and I think it looks great. Tim Horton, best known by most for his Donut chain, but also a significant member of the Maple Leafs and a member of the HHOF. Pop 4 in PSA 9, one higher. A card I doubted I would ever get based on price that now makes the set theoretically able to be completed in PSA 9+. image

• Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    woo..nice card! Now, just add the Howe in PSA 9 from that set to compliment.
  • Options
    For real. Know where I can get one? Haven't seen one for sale in some time. I even messaged a bunch of guys on the Howe Player Registry but they're not budging!
  • Options
    That is a BEAST of a card and looks sweet in the new holder! Plus I didn't know he was THAT Tim Horton, of donut fame. Thanks for sharing. One of my favorite moments on these boards was your excitement when you landed this bad boy.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely awesome Tim Horton card, congrats on the acquisition and thanks for sharing.

• Options
    2 more HOF RCs back from a private signing at DC Sports.

imageimage
  • Options
    Those cards are both in great shape!
  • Options
    This was a bit of a splurge. Not because it is super expensive, but because it is outside of my immediate collecting interests, which I try to keep narrow and focused. I just love the Stanley Cup cards--there are a few through several years. Got it for a great price, so if I ever decide to part with it, I should do OK. At least, that's how I'm justifying it to myself...

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Casey - I love the Stanley Cup card. I do my best to stay moderately focused across 4 sports...if you can call that focused at all. But I have a weakness for cool cards. The 52 Zernial is one of my faves. I love that this board introduces me to cards I might not otherwise search out. I suddenly have a need for a Stanley Cup card.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Thanks, Jim. Be sure to check out the 1969 OPC version as well of you're serious about picking one up!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This was a bit of a splurge. Not because it is super expensive, but because it is outside of my immediate collecting interests, which I try to keep narrow and focused. I just love the Stanley Cup cards--there are a few through several years. Got it for a great price, so if I ever decide to part with it, I should do OK. At least, that's how I'm justifying it to myself... >>

+1 I need a Stanley Cup card, too.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Casey. I'll check it out. In my opinion it's the best trophy in the 4 majors, with a rich history, and the 2nd best trophy in all of sports...surpassed only by the Borg Warner.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Some poppage.

This was my first real attempt at grading modern cards. Need to get better - but not too discouraged by the result. Some good, some bad (like pretty much always). N6s will get re-subbed.

45 1 23545402 GEM MINT 10 2013 Upper Deck Trilogy 149 Petr Mrazek Autograph-Level 1 Card
    46 1 23545403 MINT 9 2013 Upper Deck Trilogy 150 Petr Mrazek Autograph-Level 2 Card
    47 1 23545404 GEM MINT 10 2011 Itg Between the Pipes Autographs A-PM Petr Mrazek Card
    48 1 23545405 GEM MINT 10 2005 Parkhurst Signatures JF Johan Franzen Card
    49 1 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 2012 Itg Heroes and Prospects Autograph A-Am Anthony Mantha Card
    50 1 23545407 MINT 9 2011 Panini Private Signings Jab Justin Abdelkader Card
    51 1 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1969 Topps 61 Gordie Howe Card
    52 1 23545409 MINT 9 1972 Topps 18 Marcel Dionne Card
    53 1 23545410 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1988 O-Pee-Chee Sticker Brett Hull/Mario Lemieux-210/Pat Verbeek-81 Card
    54 1 23545411 GEM MINT 10 1988 Topps 135 Dirk Graham Card
    55 1 23545412 MINT 9 1989 O-Pee-Chee 83 Steve Yzerman Card
    56 1 23545413 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2013 Upper Deck 451 Filip Forsberg Card
    57 1 23545414 GEM MINT 10 2013 Upper Deck 486 John Gibson Card
    58 1 23545415 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini National Treasures 62 Henrik Zetterberg Base Numbers Patch Card
    59 1 23545416 GEM MINT 10 2013 SP Game Used Rookie Fabrics RF-PM Petr Mrazek Card
    60 1 23545417 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini National Treasures Dual Memorbilia Autograph Dmpmr Petr Mrazek Card
    61 1 23545418 GEM MINT 10 2013 Spx Rookie Materials RM-PM Petr Mrazek Card
    62 1 23545419 GEM MINT 10 2010 Panini Dominion Jimmy Howard Prime Jersey Patch Card
    63 1 23545420 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini National Treasures Dual Memorbilia Autograph Dmpmr Petr Mrazek Prime Card
    64 1 23545421 MINT 9 2011 Panini Rookie Anthology 141 Gustav Nyquist Signed Jersey Card
    65 1 23545422 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 2012 SP Authentic Spx Autograph Jersey 8 Riley Sheahan Card
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a great sub to me Casey - there's a lot of "gems" in there.

Congratulations.
    Mike
  • Options
    Addition to the HOF Builder/Ref set. Same 1985-87 HOF Cartophilium set that I posted a few cards from earlier. Frank Udvari.

• Options
    Cool!
  • Options
    Got a wave of cards back from various signings (Toronto Expo, Fanatic Authentics, and private). These are all HOF RCs, with the exception of Roenick who is a borderline future candidate.

I do apologize for the less than suberb scans. Again, I am reluctant to really mess around with the cards too much or take them out of their CS1s to lay on my flatbed. With grading, etc. I want to preserve condition more than I want to get a great scan before they're slabbed. Hopefully it looks OK. These are all red flips at some point in the future.

1991 Upper Deck Dominik Hasek
    1974 Topps Borje Salming
    1981 O-Pee-Chee Larry Murphy (x2)
    1970 O-Pee-Chee Darryl Sittler
    1990 O-Pee-Chee Premier Jeremy Roenick
    1974 O-Pee-Chee Bob Gainey
    1984 O-Pee-Chee Chris Chelios
    1963 Parkhurst Jacques Lapperiere

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liking the Gainey, that card is pretty nice shape for the year. Better than most for sure and I really like the clean auto.
  • Options
    Wow Casey, this is usually a great thread, but this has to be one of the most impressive posts in its history! I don't even know when to start. Back when I was following the NHL closely in the 1990's and early 2000's, Hasek used to blow my mind. Great group of players, sharp cards with nice looking autos. CONGRATS!!
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. The Gainey was a PSA 7 crack-out. Centering is tough on those mid-70s OPCs. The modern cards were both PSA 10 crack-outs, though I wouldn't be upset if they came back less than gem mint. I just thought that, if I was going to pay to get them signed, I should get as nice of an example as possible. I am happy with the condition of the rest of the cards, with the exception of the Sittler, which I'll aim to upgrade in the future. I just didn't have a quality card at the time of the signing. I recently picked up a PSA 8 of his 70 OPC rookie for the next signing he does. The Laperriere was a PSA 7 that I bought months ago in hope that a signing would come up and I was lucky that I did. The signing was announced within 2 weeks of when it occurred and took place in Canada. There wouldn't have been enough time to get a card on eBay and mail it there if I did not have one in hand already.
  • Options
    I thought I would post a couple scans of some of the cards from the sub I posted last week. These were all eBay purchases and self-submitted. Modern stuff, not my main focus, but not bad...

imageimage
  • Options
    This is a little different and I guess you could call it a side project. I've been intending to get tickets from the 4 games where the Red Wings won the SC (90s and forward) and have them signed by the Conn Smyth (Playoff MVP) Winner. I have a 98 ticket signed by Yzerman, will be getting my 08 ticket signed by Zetterberg, have an unsigned 02 ticket (Lidstrom) and would need to get a 97 ticket and have it signed by Mike Vernon. It's not a major priority, so I've picked away at it when I've seen the opportunity. As a result, I run a few searches here and there for Red Wings tickets and just browse.

I saw this. I haven't mentioned it directly yet, but I'm a big MSU hockey fan. I've been an MSU fan my entire life and with the hockey thing, I suppose it just fits. This is from the NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship game in 07, won by MSU. It was a fairly big deal, as they had last won in 1986. This is signed by Justin Abdelkader, who was the MVP of the Frozen Four, and who scored the game winning goal with something like 15 seconds left to break a 1-1 tie. As an added bonus, he was drafted by the Red Wings and so I get to watch him play regularly.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>This is a little different and I guess you could call it a side project. I've been intending to get tickets from the 4 games where the Red Wings won the SC (90s and forward) and have them signed by the Conn Smyth (Playoff MVP) Winner. I have a 98 ticket signed by Yzerman, will be getting my 08 ticket signed by Zetterberg, have an unsigned 02 ticket (Lidstrom) and would need to get a 97 ticket and have it signed by Mike Vernon. It's not a major priority, so I've picked away at it when I've seen the opportunity. As a result, I run a few searches here and there for Red Wings tickets and just browse.

I saw this. I haven't mentioned it directly yet, but I'm a big MSU hockey fan. I've been an MSU fan my entire life and with the hockey thing, I suppose it just fits. This is from the NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship game in 07, won by MSU. It was a fairly big deal, as they had last won in 1986. This is signed by Justin Abdelkader, who was the MVP of the Frozen Four, and who scored the game winning goal with something like 15 seconds left to break a 1-1 tie. As an added bonus, he was drafted by the Red Wings and so I get to watch him play regularly.

image >>

Cool item. The team I work for has sent quite a few players on to play for the Spartans.