Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

charrigan's Pick Ups

Comments

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow. These are awesome. For the newbie...what is TTM? Guessing..does that mean through the mail? If so, how do you know where to send and how to get them to sign? Love the red wings from earlier posts. >>

These lists are awesome as well

link
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All eBay stuff today. I haven't been buying much, but the little I did recently purchase mostly arrived all on the same day.

I picked up this Johnny Bucyk rookie for a decent price. Overall, looks like a high end 5. Centering and colors are nice. No obvious creases. Corners downgrade. My plan is to get this signed to upgrade my current junker.

As a Bucyk collector, that is an EFFIN sweet looking card, like you said, nice Centering & Clean Color.

Just wondering, as a Stalker of this post and your autos, would you ever think of leaving a Graded card in the holder and have it signed on the holder. I am not as much of an autograph collector, but I have thought of having some favorite graded cards auto'd on the holder.
    Again, just wondering for myself, love the thread and obviously keep posting.

ps Sorry for CUSSING
  • Options

<< <i>would you ever think of leaving a Graded card in the holder and have it signed on the holder >>

I have never seriously considered that. Looks odd. That, and the holder is just what protects the object. It is isn't the object itself. I'm also not really concerned with "preserving" the card by avoiding signing directly on it. I prefer it to be signed.
  • Options
    All TTM today.

First, a major upgrade for my Mike Gartner. This was a 1980 OPC PSA 8. Still looks good for the grade after a roundtrip to Canada! I scanned this one in the CS1, so there are some specs that are on the holder, not the card.

Next, an addition. 1952 Parkhurst Dickie Moore. Came back with a long letter where he apologized for the errors on the stats on the back. "But you know something, at the time it didn't really matter to me as I was very happy just to be with the Big Team Montreal Canadiens, but it shows they didn't watch what they wrote!".

Last, a return from Ralph Backstrom. I believe this was a PSA 4 crackout. I think I already have 2; just looking for a really nice one for the permanent collection.

• Options
    That Backstrom is one hot looking 4 !
  • Options
    Another small update.

Addition to the HOF rookies set. Bought this card because it looked to be high grade.

Jari Kurri, from a private signing done in Europe via SCN.

Last, an eBay purchase. This is pretty cool. It is a ticket from the Red Wings from the game where the Wings won the second Stanley Cup of my lifetime in 1998. That was their 2nd Cup back-to-back in a sweep - this time against the Washington Capitals. It is signed by Steve Yzerman, which is cool by itself, but also extra cool because he was awarded the Conn Smythe this game as the MVP of the playoffs.

• Options
    I'm not a ticket guy, but that one is SWEET!
  • Options
    A few more cards from yesterday and today.

First, a pretty significant upgrade for my HOF rookie set. I was happy to get this for a fair price. It has both a HOF inscription and "3 Times N.T." (Norris Trophy - Best Defenseman). New card on the left!

imageimage

Another Bossy rookie. This card holds the distinction of being the first and only card I have bought on Facebook! I am part of a hockey autograph collectors group there and bought it from another one of the members. It's Topps, but is in OK shape and was cheap!

Last, not a rookie (clearly). But, a 1979 Topps Gordie Howe signed card. A future project of mine may be to put together a complete run of signed Howe cards. That might be fun. Probably won't happen unless I become richer (not happening...) or bored with something I'm doing now.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    The following card is bad ass...

• Options
    I made another trip out to a local card show at the Gibraltar Trade Center in Taylor, MI today. A bit more down on it than I felt after my first trip, but I still managed to find a few things that met my interest.

Some random thoughts before I post what I bought and some scans:
    -- vintage (pre-70s) selection hovered between near-poo and complete-poo. It was hard to find hockey cards from the 60s, much less cards in decent shape or possibly tougher to find stars or rookies
    -- dealers that I talked to today were pleasant and enjoyable. After participating in the "biggest buyer turnoff thread", I had my expectations set low. Surprised in a good way.
    -- I spent more time than I did the first time thumbing through quarter and dime boxes and really enjoyed pulling a few cards out of there, even though they're not "monsters" by any means
    -- it sure beats eBay (shipping mostly) for buying common 80s and 90s star cards. Perfect for finding some good material for newer parts of the HOF rookie set.
    -- prices left something to be desired. I spent just shy of $200. I would say that, in "eBay dollars", I probably came home with $150-$160 worth of cards. And I was haggling, bundling, shopping around with value in mind, trying to dodge huge landmines, etc. Worth it for the experience? Sure. Worth it if you're looking for deals? Probably better to spend Saturday morning on the couch going through your saved searches.
    -- I would like to get out to the other Gibraltar show in Mt. Clemens in a couple of weeks and see if there are any different dealers there. Probably will give Taylor a rest for now.

What I bought:
    --junk wax (4 boxes of 1990-91 OPC, 1 box of 1991-1992 OPC, and a complete box set of 1989-90 OPC)
    --signed 1969 OPC Gordie Howe in VG-EX condition (biggest purchase of the day)
    --signed 2008 Champ's Nicklas Lidstrom card (this fits a mini-collection I have going. I have a Datsyuk, Osgood, and now this. I enjoy the look.
    --signed 1984 Topps Pat LaFontaine HOF rookie card. Not perfect, but $5!
    --signed 1995 Leaf Limited Brendan Shanahan card
    --a half dozen vintage cards for TTM (1965 Topps Milt Schmidt, 1969 OPC Alex Delvecchio, 1967 Topps Norm Ullman, 1952 Topps Ted Lindsay)
    --a bunch of HOF rookies (2 Bernie Federkos, Scott Stevens, Theo Fleury, Joe Sakic, Phil Housley, etc.)

Scans:

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Amazingness TTM today. I got 5 returns, which is unusually high, but will skip to the highlights.

Signed 1984 OPC Pat LaFontaine RC. I got a hint this might be coming when his foundation cashed my donation check about 2 weeks ago. Very nicely signed. Card looks to be in good shape, too.

Then, this:

It looks like a beater - and it is. But, as far as I know, it is a 1/1 signed card that is a new addition for my 61 Parkhurst set! I have never seen another signed by Andre Pronovost, card #51 (last in the set). His last tracked returns on SCN were 800 and 1800 days, so I guess I beat the odds (I got this in ~120 round trip). I had actually mailed him a much nicer card earlier and sent him this junker later, figuring that it couldn't *hurt* my chances of getting something back. Maybe he's doing his mail and will send the other one too. Honestly, I don't really care, because this brings me 1 card closer to completion. 10 cards now remaining:

#1 Tim Horton
    #6 Ron Stewart
    #10 Bob Nevin
    #15 Billy Harris
    #16 Allen Stanley

#19 Howie Glover
    #22 Al Johnson
    #31 Terry Sawchuk
    #49 Jacques Plante
    #50 Claude Provost
  • Options
    I feel like I'm stalking you, since I'm one of the only ones who comments on this thread. But I HAD to congratulate you on landing the signed Pronovost Parkie. I know how hard you've been looking for that one. Big kudos Casey!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I feel like the Stanley and Stewart are sitting in the closets of a bunch of collectors. Both were great TTM for a long time.
  • Options
    Thanks, Dan! It's nice to get some comments.

Mike: I would think so, too. I have a 1963 Parkie signed by Stanley. There are a lot of his autos floating around on eBay. Hopefully, with enough time, I'll be able to find the card I'm looking for. It could happen. Boom Boom and Leo Labine just popped up one day. And, when they did, I was all over it. I have seen many Ron Stewarts, but mostly from the late 60s onward. I am still trying to get Bob Nevin and Howie Glover, as the last two living members of the set that I do not have. I have a couple of TTMs out to each. Bill Harris is a guy I see on eBay from time to time, but is tougher. Then, the clearly impossible guys (Horton, Plante, Sawchuk). Al Johnson is the complete mystery of the bunch. I think 61-62 was his only card. He's got a generic name, so its hard to locate him. One could hit eBay tomorrow and sell for under $10, or it could be that none exist at all. Who knows.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain on Sawchuck and Horton. I'm 4 away from 1968 Topps signed and those are two of them. Fortunately Plante isn't in that set. I'm 7 away from 1971 Topps and have the Plante. No Horton or Sawchuck thankfully but Wayne Maki is in it and I'm not convinced one exists.

The Al Johnson thing is interesting. Have you tried sending one to the Red Wings Alumni?
  • Options
    PSA's population report says that both a Horton and a Sawchuk exist. Never seen them, of course.

I have not mailed a card to the Red Wings alumni, but will do that. I have 4-5 copies on hand, specifically for shots in the dark like that. Worth a try and better than sending cards to any "A. E. Johnson" in the greater Winnipeg, MB area (not the current 2nd best option, but not too far off...).
  • Options

<< <i>Wayne Maki is in it and I'm not convinced one exists. >>

One easily might not. He was alive for 3 years after the set was released?
  • Options
    A couple cards today. Lidstrom rookie. The harder to find card is actually the Pat Burns. He was a 2014 HHOF inductee and passed away in 2010 from cancer. He was coach of the year 3 times with 3 different times, won the SC in '03 with the Devils, and qualified for the playoffs in 11 of the 13 full seasons he coached. Pretty impressive; he probably should have been inducted even sooner. As a coach only, he didn't have many cards. 1990 Pro Set was his first, so this is technically his rookie. I don't know how rare signed examples are. Probably not extremely difficult to find, but I had been looking for a bit and this was the first I saw.

imageimage
  • Options
    2 cards today.

TTM: a very nice Harry Sinden rookie. HOF in the Builders category. 72 Summit Series coach. SC Winner with Boston. Card looks beautiful; slight surface scratch made a PSA 5. Pretty logical crackout/TTM target for me.

Private transaction: upgrade of a signed HOF card I already had. Gerry Cheevers. This was graded SGC 5.5. Looks like a pretty nice card with slight corner issues and mainly T/B centering downgrading.

• Options
    A couple more signed 61 Parkies TTM. Trying to get as nice of an example of each. Both were PSA 4 crackouts, which is about the grade sweet-spot for these TTMs, I think.

imageimage

Bought this signed Yzerman sticker card on eBay. Not sure of it's authenticity; I'm on the fence. He has so much variability in his auto that it's tough to tell sometimes. Leaning good, but I priced the buy accordingly.

Last, got this from the 4SC website. I was buying another card and need like 3 more dollars to get to the $75 free shipping threshold. So, hello random modern PSA 10.

EDIT:

P.S. 500th post! Thanks for all the support and for teaching me so, so much about the hobby. This board has been absolutely fantastic!
  • Options
    Casey not only is this one of my favorite all time threads on any forum, I am absolutely in awe of your collection! My jealousy is embarrassing and I would rather have your collection more than most others I have seen. I grew up a Football fan in Phoenix, Arizona with no understanding of hockey and not a single want to take part in the sport... collecting, watching, or playing. Then in 1994 I followed the Rangers through to The Cup and slowly jumped on board. It wasn't until about 5-6 years ago that it overtook football as my favorite sport. I now hate summers for two reasons, the heat in Arizona and not having a new NHL game to watch at night (Thank you NHL Game Center). Seeing you growing collection and focus is amazing. I think the history of the sport is one of the main reasons I cherish it so much and your 1961 Parkhurst collection is unreal. It along with the 1967 Topps, 1970-71 OPC, 1984-85 OPC set designs are my favorites. Keep it up and if we ever happen to meet, hide em image
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been to the Gilbraltar Card show a couple of times this year. I am not a huge hockey collector but there is a dealer that has a massive collective of vintage hockey cards. I am sure you could find something to your liking. I was told his collection is one of the best for hockey. Let us know if you go and what you find. Good luck.
  • Options
    thanx to Casey for Mick's address!

If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars. J Paul Getty
  • Options
    Very nice, congrats! The 1968 OPC Redmond is a tough card to locate in any shape, much less VG-EX or better. Beautiful sig, too!
  • Options

<< <i>Casey not only is this one of my favorite all time threads on any forum, I am absolutely in awe of your collection! My jealousy is embarrassing and I would rather have your collection more than most others I have seen. I grew up a Football fan in Phoenix, Arizona with no understanding of hockey and not a single want to take part in the sport... collecting, watching, or playing. Then in 1994 I followed the Rangers through to The Cup and slowly jumped on board. It wasn't until about 5-6 years ago that it overtook football as my favorite sport. I now hate summers for two reasons, the heat in Arizona and not having a new NHL game to watch at night (Thank you NHL Game Center). Seeing you growing collection and focus is amazing. I think the history of the sport is one of the main reasons I cherish it so much and your 1961 Parkhurst collection is unreal. It along with the 1967 Topps, 1970-71 OPC, 1984-85 OPC set designs are my favorites. Keep it up and if we ever happen to meet, hide em image >>

Hey, I just want to say that I really appreciate this. Sometimes, it seems like there are no hockey guys on the boards and I'll post several times and get no replies and wonder if I'm just being a bother! Thank you! You've got some good taste in card sets; some of those are my favorites as well.
  • Options
    I rarely buy modern, for reasons I have stated earlier ITT. However, I make an exception for Mrazek, who is looking like the future in goal for the Wings. Got this off eBay for a decent price. Prime looked good this year.

I also bought this, even though it doesn't fit a major collecting focus. I love the look of the 54 Topps set--truly iconic. Skov isn't a star, but is now deceased and harder than average to find. Pretty decent value for the price, too, at $10.

I got a couple of signed HOF rookies. These aren't in amazing shape, but both were real steals on eBay. I have a couple more Dino's on consignment now, so I'm hoping they'll be the keepers. The Shutt is an OPC, which is a nice surprise. It was a really poorly put together auction lot, so I took a low risk gamble on it and am happy with how it turned out.

imageimage

Finally, this is the "big" purchase for the week. It was a SGC 1.5 but I have to think it is a PSA 1. Still, the card alone is so valuable that you don't see these all that often and they're frequently priced out of my budget. One of the handful of obtainable but really huge cards for the HOF rookies set. Nice auto, to boot. The "Golden Jet"!

• Options
    A few days worth of stuff built up.

TTM: an upgrade for the signed 1961 Parkhurst set. This was probably about 4 months round-trip to Ontario. Larry Keenan!

A few signed Red Wings pick-ups. Fedorov (Pro Set RC) and Lidstrom (Score RC) were eBay. Coffey was from the Gibraltar Trade Show (Mt. Clemens), which sucked but I won't say too much about because if you don't have anything nice to say .... image

imageimage

Signed Brad Park RC. For the HOF rookie collection. Hey, not personalized!

Last, another Mrazek. Way less exciting of a finale than the Hull!

• Options
    A signed Hull RC is mind blowing!
  • Options
    Thanks, Dan. It looks even better in hand. Will be on its way to PSA this week!
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, I just want to say that I really appreciate this. Sometimes, it seems like there are no hockey guys on the boards and I'll post several times and get no replies and wonder if I'm just being a bother! Thank you! You've got some good taste in card sets; some of those are my favorites as well. >>

Hey Casey,
    "Hockey Guy" here, love the post, don't stop!
  • Options
    Split my CC renewal into 3 mini-subs. Got poppage of the first on day 9.

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 23244408 N0: AUTHENTIC 1991 Upper Deck 335 Dominik Hasek PSA/DNA Certified Card
    2 1 23244409 NEAR MINT 7 1982 O-Pee-Chee 123 Ron Francis PSA/DNA Certified Card
    3 1 23244410 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 O-Pee-Chee 307 Joe Mullen PSA/DNA Certified Card

Both 1982s are Pop 3 with none higher. Not sure what's up with the Hasek, but it's in a Red Flip now, which is fine...

EDIT: Scans added.

imageimage
  • Options
    New stuff from the end of last week. Piled up a bit when I was out of town for a buddy's bachelor party in Myrtle Beach, SC. Real classy place, there! LOL

Red Wings autos:

imageimage

TTM. Signed HOF rookie. This is a PSA 5.5 if I've ever seen one. Beautiful card; small surface wrinkle on the bottom just below "wing".

From public signings for the signed HOF rookie set.

imageimage
  • Options
    CC Renewal Poppage 2/3

1 1 23244417 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT+ 4.5 1961 Parkhurst 3 Johnny Bower PSA/DNA Certified Card
    7 1 23244423 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1961 Parkhurst 45 Jean Beliveau PSA/DNA Certified Card
    8 1 23244424 EXCELLENT+ 5.5 1961 Parkhurst 42 Tom Johnson PSA/DNA Certified Card
    9 1 23244425 EXCELLENT 5 1961 Parkhurst 30 Warren Godfrey PSA/DNA Certified Card

Cards 2-6 (Armstrong, Howe, Hicke, M. Pronovost, Litzenberger) = Authentic
  • Options
    Great stuff Casey, as always!
  • Options
    CC Renewal 3/3 popped. All as good or better than expected!

1 1 20259220 NEAR MINT 7 1976 O-Pee-Chee 115 Bryan Trottier PSA/DNA Certified Card
    2 1 20674147 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1957 Topps 46 Norm Ullman PSA/DNA Certified Card
    3 1 20674132 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT+ 4.5 1951 Parkhurst 68 Marcel Pronovost PSA/DNA Certified Card

EDIT: All 3 are POP 1, None Higher. So, that's cool!

EDIT 2: Scans added.

imageimage
  • Options
    I added scans of the Mullen, Francis, and Hasek above.

TTM: Bob Clarke signed RC. Mailed in June, so a relatively long turnaround on this. Send c/o Flyers, returned from agent in NJ.

TTM: Steve Larmer RC. Not in HOF. Borderline, looking like a longshot. Quick return from Canada.

eBay: Forsberg signed rookie. I'll try to upgrade this at some point.

eBay: The Goose is Loose! My boy, Gustav Nyquist. Rookie auto mem. Decent price; could be a stud.

eBay: 2 more signed Wings cards. Both were on the cheap, but are pretty good players to collect. Vernon is a tough signer.

imageimage
  • Options
    I don't know much about hockey cards, so please forgive the ignorant question, but I'm trying to learn. What year is the Larmer from?
  • Options
    The Larmer RC is 1983 OPC. Not a very collected set, no HOF rookies (yet). Thanks for following the thread, Dan.
  • Options
    You're welcome. The 84 set is iconic. Never even seen 83 before now.
  • Options
    Added scans from CC renewal poppage #2 to a post above.

While I'm at it, I'll post the few cards that came in the mail today.

eBay: Mrazek. Not sure where this is going, but I've been buying more of his stuff. Don't really like buying modern, but OK...

TTM: 2 Mark Recchi rookies. Like Larmer, another HOF maybe. I always liked him; hope he gets in. About a month turnaround.

imageimage
  • Options
    Poppage on day 14 of a 20 day sub.

1 1 23236007 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1984 O-Pee-Chee 67 Steve Yzerman PSA/DNA Certified Card
    2 1 23236008 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 O-Pee-Chee 115 Mike Bossy PSA/DNA Certified Card
    3 1 23236009 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1980 O-Pee-Chee 344 Rod Langway PSA/DNA Certified Card
    4 1 23236010 VERY GOOD 3 1951 Parkhurst 5 Bert Olmstead PSA/DNA Certified Card
    5 1 23236011 VERY GOOD 3 1951 Parkhurst 63 Alex Delvecchio PSA/DNA Certified Card
    6 1 23236012 VERY GOOD 3 1953 Parkhurst 57 Harry Howell PSA/DNA Certified Card
    7 1 23236013 GOOD 2 1957 Parkhurst 17 Frank Mahovlich PSA/DNA Certified Card
    8 1 23236014 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1968 Topps 89 Bernie Parent PSA/DNA Certified Card

Big hits are the Yzerman (PSA 8 PSA/DNA) and Bossy (PSA 8 PSA/DNA). Delvecchio and Olmstead came back slightly better than expected. Parent was a PSA 7 crackout, so that is a slight disappointment. I'm going to try to get another Langway signed and upgrade that in the future.

Both PSA 8s were purchased raw on eBay for $20/each, so that's a win! Bossy is POP 1, none higher. Yzerman is POP 3, none higher.
  • Options
    Too many Yzermans image
  • Options

<< <i>Too many Yzermans image >>

So, so true. I need Yzermans Anonymous.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Too many Yzermans image >>

So, so true. I need Yzermans Anonymous. >>

If you ever find yourself with too many Bourques, you know where to find me image
  • Options
    Got the signed Parkhurst autos back from PSA today. This lot is some stars and hard to get autos. Of the bunch, Godrey, Hicke, Litzenberger, and Johnson are deceased. Beliveau, Pronovost, and Armstrong are alive but don't sign at this point. I'm going to post a bunch, so I'm experimenting with a different sized picture. If this looks bad, let me know and I'll go back to my previous sizing in the future.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Some other pick-ups from the last week. All eBay purchases.

ANOTHER signed Yzerman card. Going for the complete collection (not really). And a nice Fedorov auto.

imageimage

A couple of nice Red Wings modern dual autos. These are from Panini's final (for now) hockey set, National Treasures. Expensive boxes, cards look amazing, but the resale seems like it has been soft. Good for me!

Last, some Red Wings vintage autos. Nice condition cards, clean sigs, and hard to get guys. Very happy with these.

imageimage
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful cards. Can we hire the veterans to teach the young guys to have a little pride in their signatures?
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    I don't know squat about hockey, but I do know that Howe signed Parkie is superb!

I also know you must have a HUGE mailbox. image

Snorto~

• Options
    Thanks, guys.

I am biased, but I think that Howe is among the nicest examples of his auto I have ever seen. And, that's saying something, because I have seen a *lot*. Definitely one of the very best on a vintage card. I would be floored if a better looking signed 1961 Parkhurst ever turned up.
  • Options
    Signed HOF rookies back from PSA.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage