Comments

• Options
    did Brad Park retire and become Pete Campbell on Mad Men
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>did Brad Park retire and become Pete Campbell on Mad Men >>

yes
  • Options
    Great stuff Casey! How many signed 61 Parkies are you missing?
  • Options
    Still need 12:

#1 Tim Horton
    #6 Ron Stewart
    #10 Bob Nevin
    #15 Billy Harris
    #16 Allen Stanley

#19 Howie Glover
    #22 Al Johnson
    #31 Terry Sawchuk
    #35 Boom Boom Geoffrion
    #49 Jacques Plante

#50 Claude Provost
    #51 Andre Pronovost
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Still need 12:

#1 Tim Horton (does one even exist - 1974)
    #6 Ron Stewart (may be available - 2012)
    #10 Bob Nevin (good chance if he signs TTM)
    #15 Billy Harris (may be available - 2001)
    #16 Allen Stanley (decent chance if someone makes one available as he passed away last Fall)

#19 Howie Glover (good chance if he signs TTM)
    #22 Al Johnson (good chance if he signs TTM)
    #31 Terry Sawchuk (does one even exist - 1970 - also as a HOF'er, if one does exist, would the owner even make it available?)
    #35 Boom Boom Geoffrion (may be available - 2006 - as HOF'er, he may have signed more of these than Harris)
    #49 Jacques Plante (see Sawchuk - although slightly higher chance - 1986)

#50 Claude Provost (possible - 1984)

#51 Andre Pronovost (good chance if he signs TTM) >>

Good luck, it is very impressive.

I wish the Legends of Hockey postcards had continued. The HHOF has tried at least twice, once with Legends of Hockey in the 90's and with Cartophilium in the 80's. With the Legends, they had an arrangement with the HHOF to get the living players' signatures for $10 a pop. It took awhile and I had to get Barber on my own, but it was worth it. Unfortunately, Mosienko had passed by the time I bought my set and Orr did not participate. Next time that Vito gets a "group" rate for Orr, I'm in.

Thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    PSA/DNA Pop Report for the set says that a Horton and a Sawchuk exist. I have never seen one of any of the cards that I need, but that was also true of #33 Leo Labine, who is deceased, and a signed card of his popped up on eBay one day and I snagged it for $20 ...

I am hopeful that I can get Stanley, Harris, Nevin, Glover and Pronovost. The others are longshots. Al Johnson is deceptively tough because he barely had an NHL career and no one can find an address to send him TTM...
  • Options
    OK, I know that this thread has been auto-heavy lately, but I promise that is not all I collect... it just seems like it.

I have still been primarily focused on my graded 1961 Parkhurst set. However, it has been slow going as the average grade has moved close to 9. In the last PWCC auction, there were 4 cards that would have been upgrades for my set. I was the underbidder on a #1 Tim Horton PSA 8 (super nice centered card; congrats to whomever bought it) and a #20 Gordie Howe PSA 8.5. I opted not to buy the 3th card, a #6 Ron Stewart PSA 10, as it looked slightly overgraded, leaving only this, which I fortunately won near the top of my bidding range:

I am currently 4th in the PSA Registry:

Set

I feel like my set is solid overall. There are a few more obtainable cards (Beliveau PSA 9, Horton PSA 8, Plante PSA 9) that would really round it out. I have been picky about finding a card that meets my liking though and have passed on many on eBay. Still, I will keep an eye out and hopefully pick one up in next month's PWCC auction or somewhere else soon...
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Wow, it's really cool to be ranked so highly in the registry on such an iconic set
  • Options
    2 more for the signed HOF set. The Savard was from a private signing through SCN. The Salming was an eBay purchase from Simgin. Enjoy!

imageimage
  • Options
    2 more HOFers. Both eBay purchases.

imageimage
  • Options
    2 more signed HOF rookies ... chipping away at it ... Both were eBay purchases.

imageimage

Verbeek was a surprise TTM return. Didn't expect to get that one back. Nice signed 1984 OPC rookie card.

• Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups, you're making really fast progress on the signed HOF rookies! Did you pickup that keon from someone else or manage to get him to sign it?
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2 more HOFers. Both eBay purchases. >>

eBay purchase, or off-ebay through the board? image

Congrats on the great ever-growing collection
  • Options

<< <i>Nice pickups, you're making really fast progress on the signed HOF rookies! Did you pickup that keon from someone else or manage to get him to sign it? >>

Thanks! I have a few more "easy" cards to pick up, then I expect that the pace will slow down a lot. The combination of unavailability in terms of total number and price make a substantial portion of the set really tough. Fun so far, thought!

I got Keon TTM. I saw on another board that he had returned a few signed, so I sent him a long letter and a substantial cash donation. He signed the card in under 3 weeks and even returned the money! Really awesome of him. I was thinking I would send him another letter just to say thanks. An especially cool part was that I opened the envelope (stamped with his return address--so I knew what it was) and saw the cash first so my heart sank thinking it was returned unsigned. But, there it was! I needed it for my 61 Parkhurst set and the HOF set, so it was pretty important to me...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>2 more HOFers. Both eBay purchases. >>

eBay purchase, or off-ebay through the board? image

Congrats on the great ever-growing collection >>

Yes! I should have mentioned that, what was I thinking?! A big THANK YOU to Greg for the signed Hull rookie. Very pleasant transaction at a fair price. And he has set an impossible to beat record for fastest shipping ever with his magical overnight delivery of the card. One of the good guys on the board.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Some great items in this thread, Casey.

I'm not even a hockey guy, but I love those 1961 Parkies and they look great signed.

What's your favorite all-time hockey set?

Thanks for sharing your collection.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>Some great items in this thread, Casey.

I'm not even a hockey guy, but I love those 1961 Parkies and they look great signed. >>

+1. And that 1984 set is one of the most attractive of all time, in any sport.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick ups.. Keon is one of the nice guys when it comes to TTM..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>I think this about does it for epic Red Wings front office folks? Maybe Hakan Andersson, if I can find him. >>

Hakan stops by here during the mini-camp in July as well as spending a lot of time here throughout September during the Sept. prospect tournament as well as main camp. If you're looking for him, you will find him here, easily accessible. Actually, there are quite a lot of HOF'ers easy to meet during the prospect tourney if that's your thing, since so many of them work with the front staff of NHL organizations in some way or another. Just drive up, it's not far for you image

• Options

<< <i>What's your favorite all-time hockey set? >>

Probably 1984 Topps, although I enjoy the challenge of finding nice OPC versions. I like the look, but most of my affinity is out of nostalgia. It is one of the oldest that I can remember having as a kid. I really didn't collect cards until the 90s boom, but have always liked the matte look of 1989 and earlier cards much better than modern glossy versions. The set also has the Yzerman rookie, which is a special card for me, being a huge Wings fan.

I have tried to say focused on what I'm working on right now. If I had to start a new set, I would probably collect 57, 58, or 59 Topps hockey. Each has a very cool look, includes the Wings, and has other American teams that vintage Parkies do not. I might also consider 62 or 63 Parkhurst, as they seem pretty undervalued in the current market (PSA 9 1962 Parkies especially).

I chose 1961 Parkhurst to collect initially for a few reasons:
    --included the Red Wings
    --"vintage" but late enough that the price point was reasonable for someone like me who is trying to not hemorrhage huge amounts of money
    --appealing design aesthetics
    --51 card set was small enough to complete quickly

Even though it is a modest-sized set and relatively unpopular (compared to 1951 Parkhurst, 1954 Topps, etc.), I have found it challenging to "complete" in a meaningful sense. Not just in having every card, but finding nice versions of each in high grade, working on a signed version of the set, and really trying to use the collection as a means to learn about a slice of hockey history. I have tried to read a bit about each player and gain some perspective while collecting it. That's really why I am collecting at this stage--to gain appreciation for the history of the sport that I most enjoy.
  • Options
    "Even though it is a modest-sized set and relatively unpopular (compared to 1951 Parkhurst, 1954 Topps, etc.), I have found it challenging to "complete" in a meaningful sense. Not just in having every card, but finding nice versions of each in high grade, working on a signed version of the set, and really trying to use the collection as a means to learn about a slice of hockey history. I have tried to read a bit about each player and gain some perspective while collecting it. That's really why I am collecting at this stage--to gain appreciation for the history of the sport that I most enjoy."

That's an awesome reason for collecting. I have certainly learned a ton of sports history during my years as a collector.
  • Options
    I've been active, but don't have too much to show for it. I have acquired several decent HOF rookie cards that are either out for TTM or a signing, hopefully to be returned by the end of the month. Biggest names are: Bossy, Yzerman, Red Kelly, Bower, Dionne, Lindsay, Messier, Glenn Anderson, Kurri, Belfour, and Howell. Will post results as they come in.

I got one solid TTM return today. Theo Fleury, 1989 OPC rookie. Not a HOFer, but borderline.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theo should be in the Hall but I'm a bit biased. Watched him play in Moose Jaw and got a chance to get to know him as a kid, and just as a fluke ended up sitting beside him at a Raptors a game a few years back. Super nice guy.

When he was in his prime he was unreal to watch, one of the most exciting players I've ever watched play. Too bad the drugs got him or he would have played 18-20 years and put up insane numbers.
  • Options
    Yeah I loved Fleury. And knowing what I know about you, you must be chomping at the bit to get that signed Yzerman card back!
  • Options
    Finally a few cards worth sharing.

I picked up this Marcel Pronvost rookie auto from eBay. His health has declined, so he no longer does TTM. The card looks nice enough that I should maybe consider getting it a numeric grade.

Bought this Esposito rookie card off eBay as well. It was in a GAI holder, but looked good to me. Fingers crossed that everything turns out legit with this one.

Got another solid TTM return from my man Bill Gadsby. I had a 2nd rookie, so I figured I would get it signed. And, I tossed in another 61 Parkie, just for good measure. It actually turned out good--the card is crease-free, so it might be the best one I currently have.

imageimage
  • Options
    Apologies for specs on the photos. I think I've decided that is better to scan the cards in CS1s than to lay them directly on my flatbed. Less handling that way. Some turn out tilted and there's more dust. Hopefully you can see past it.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Finally a few cards worth sharing.

I picked up this Marcel Pronvost rookie auto from eBay. His health has declined, so he no longer does TTM. The card looks nice enough that I should maybe consider getting it a numeric grade.

image >>

Red flip means it was submitted for a numeric grade and in this case didn't receive one, just Authentic. It's probably been trimmed or altered.
  • Options

<< <i>Red flip means it was submitted for a numeric grade and in this case didn't receive one, just Authentic. It's probably been trimmed or altered. >>

Nope. You can choose authentication-only or card grading. More likely they chose the former, as it looks good to me and the seller I bought it from had a number of Red Flip "authentic"-only cards. See jswieton's Red Flip thread for more info on the difference.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Red flip means it was submitted for a numeric grade and in this case didn't receive one, just Authentic. It's probably been trimmed or altered. >>

Nope. You can choose authentication-only or card grading. More likely they chose the former, as it looks good to me and the seller I bought it from had a number of Red Flip "authentic"-only cards. See jswieton's Red Flip thread for more info on the difference. >>

Yep. What charrigan says is correct. I've submitted many unaltered cards via redflip, authentic only.
  • Options

<< <i>

Nope. You can choose authentication-only or card grading. >>

Correct.
  • Options
    I stand corrected, but am not sure why anyone would pay for a red flip and not get the grade?
  • Options
    I think for some lower grade cards, some people feel that "AUTHENTIC" (no grade sought) is better than "PSA 1 - Poor". Better to leave the grade of the card ambiguous ("so, you're saying there's a chance?"). I prefer number grades, myself. Perhaps others can chime in on their thinking on this--I don't really know why some choose that route.
  • Options
    Some really cool stuff TTM today. I feel really lucky that many of many favorite players are really good signers.

2 back from Mickey Redmond. I am getting close to assembling the complete Mickey Redmond signed card collection... LOL. These 2 are cool:

imageimage

4 back from Alex Delvecchio. They are 1960 Parkhurst, 1961 Parkhrust, 1957 Topps, and 1954 Topps. I also finally got a 1951 Parkhurst HOF rookie card for him to send soon.

imageimage
    imageimage

One eBay purchase. Tough guy Bob Probert, who passed away in 2010.

• Options

<< <i>I stand corrected, but am not sure why anyone would pay for a red flip and not get the grade? >>

I don't remember the exact date but it was before the days of the blue flip. It was a sub of about 10-15 auto cards I just wanted to get authenticated. My reason was the cards were not 10's and being modern it's kinda the kiss of death to attempt to sell as 9's especially not being "rare" cards.
  • Options
    These aren't super fancy, expensive, or rare. Brent Ashton is a solid TTM signer and there are many signed cards of his out there. Still, I thought these turned out really well and are really nice to look at, so I thought I would share. These are a 1987 Topps card and a 1987 OPC sticker. I recently bought a lot of stickers and thought they would make a cool and different TTM item. Enjoy!

imageimage
  • Options
    Casey, you seem like you're apologizing for those cards. Don't! This is one of my very favorite couple of threads on the entire board. Your collection is tremendous and these latest cards are no exception. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Dan, oops, I should clarify: I really mean it in the opposite way. It is pretty easy to post a $1,000 card and be like "check this out, fellas!". I don't want my thread to be one giant humblebrag filled with only high-end stuff because that's not really a true reflection of what I'm collecting. These are cool, but not expensive. I am very, very happy to have them in my collection.

And, secondarily, I am thinking that TTMing oddball hockey items like stickers, team logo cards, etc. might be an interesting direction to go that I don't see too many people doing right now.
  • Options
    The cool thing about these boards is seeing unique items and feeling the collector's passion. For me, dollar value has nothing to do with it. And this thread is chock full of unique cards and your passion.
  • Options
    duh
  • Options
    Two TTMs from John "Pie" McKenzie. Both 1961 Parkhurst. I have been TTMing players that still sign to try to get some upgrades for my set. I think both of these came out nice. One was a PSA 4 crackout, from a lot of midgraded PSA cards I bought for TTM purposes. John signed super fast; about a week turnaround.

imageimage

I think I have the John McKenzie portion of the set complete, LOL. I now own 4 of these signed by him and a PSA 10. Check that off the list!
  • Options
    One more 1987 OPC sticker return from TTM. Petr Klima.

• Options
    So how are you going to store/ display all the autos? I bet they would look really nice in binders. Just seeing pages of autos would be really cool.
  • Options
    Good question. So far, the plan has been:

Step 1 -- Collect autographs
    Step 2 -- ???
    Step 3 -- Profit!

And, by profit, I mean ... absolutely no monetary gain.

Right now, I have roughly 2 stacks: cards I wanted to get authenticated and cards that really aren't valuable or rare enough to justify the expense of doing so. For the first, I'll get them slabbed and then store them as the rest of my collection: in PSA black boxes and in my Card Vault case. For the unslabbed stuff, I don't really know yet. I have them all in CS1s sitting in a shoebox currently. I am sure someone has asked this, but, do they make binder sleeves sized for a CS1 or a toploader? I don't really love the idea of just sticking them in a binder as-is.

So, open to suggestion ...
  • Options
    About a month ago, a few of my card's holders were damaged while mailing them to PWCC for consignment. I sent them to PSA for a review/reholder and just got poppage. Good news is they all graded the same as before--no problems with the actual cards. It is very rare to sub and get exactly what you wanted!

Order #20813331 / Submission #10000756
    Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 31510328 NEAR MINT 7 1969 O-PEE-CHEE FOUR IN ONE AL ARBOUR/ROD SEILING/RON SCHOCK/STAN MIKITA Card
    2 1 19455604 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1967 TOPPS 45 BERT MARSHALL Card
    3 1 21738524 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1968 O-PEE-CHEE 175 JOE SZURA Card
  • Options
    That 4-in-1 sounds SWEET!
  • Options
    A couple of decent items today.

First, a signed Dominik Hasek rookie. Nobody remembers him playing for the Hawks, but he did. The Dominator is a sure-fire HOF inductee, most likely within the month. In the conversation for the best goalie ever.

Next, a TTM return from one of my personal favorite players: Chris Osgood. Ozzie was the goalie on 2 SC winning Red Wings teams and won another as the backup to Mike Vernon in 1997. His stats are HOF worthy. He probably won't make it, but I would vote him in. He now is a color commentator for FSN. These are both "rookie" cards. I loved him as a goalie, even though many Detroit fans were really hard on the guy. I do remember being really sad in 1994 when his errant clearing attempt against the Sharks ended in a goal that "cost" the #1 seeded Wings a series against the Sharks. Still, he rebounded nicely and put together a solid career. It was nice to see him back with Detroit after stints with the Islanders and Blues. Very quick turnaround, I think I caught him as he was going through his mail.

imageimage

Last, another Yzerman signed card. I have another one of this same card that is currently on its way to PSA as part of Derrick's blue flip group sub. I thought the auto looked nice (some of Stevie's are like 25% effort and it shows) and the price was right, so I picked it up off eBay.

• Options
    Picked up this for $25 shipped. I'll call that a win.

• Options

Great centering for an 8 on that one for a great price, congrats

• Options

<< <i>Great centering for an 8 on that one for a great price, congrats >>

+1 on the centering and the price. Wow!
  • Options

<< <i>Picked up this for $25 shipped. I'll call that a win. >>

Since an 8 w/ a qualifier normally goes for that price, I'd say so. It's an old flip too, so an 8.5 on a review would not surprise me.