Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

charrigan's Pick Ups

Comments

• Options
    Lots more to share. Busy week.

I'm going to list some items. Photos below.

1982 OPC Grant Fuhr HOF RC - eBay (nice card other than slight tilt)
    1952 Parkhurst Marcel Pronovost - eBay
    1974 OPC Don Cherry RC - sweet looking auto
    1986 OPC Patrick Roy HOF RC - private signing
    1951 Parkhurst Ted Lindsay HOF RC - private signing
    1961 Parkhurst Alex Delvecchio - TTM, PSA 6.5 crackout, ugprade for set
    1968 Topps Alex Delvecchio - TTM
    1968 Topps Ralph Backstrom - eBay
    1977 Dennish Hextall - eBay - very nice auto and card
    1958 Topps John Wilson - eBay - deceased, hard to get
    1954 Parkhurst Marty Pavelich - eBay
    1965 Topps Milt Schmidt - TTM
    1992 Upper Deck Chris Pronger RC - TTM - not personalized, HOF maybe
    1996 UD BAP Vlad Konstantinov - eBay - tough auto
    2013 Panini Prime Tomas Jurco Quad Jersey Auto RC - I don't know why I keep buying these, but I do

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Just one today, but it's a beauty!

• Options
    Really cool inscription.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a huge hockey fan, but it amazes me how many TTMs you get of HOF'ers and you've got some incredible stuff. How much do you spend on stamps a month?
  • Options
    Well, it's relative. I view TTMs as a very low cost part of the hobby. It might be different because it's hockey but I have an awesome success rate--well over 90%. I don't try for many tough to get guys. The cards I send, so far, have tended to come back. At roughly 1 dollar to anyone living in the U.S. and $2.50 round trip to Canada, it's not that bad. Maybe $15/month? Hard to say because I usually send them out in waves--20-30 over a couple of days and then not many for a while.
  • Options
    I have a little tiny hockey collection and don't actively add to it too much. And yet this is my favorite thread on CU. Love the Espo!
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments, guys. Collecting is fun, but its also nice to show off what you get and it's nice to hear that people like what I like!

I got very lucky to get a new, working address for HOFer and former Red Wing Igor Larionov. He signed and returned this TTM in 10 days. This is his PSA-recognized rookie card (1990 OPC), although he does have some earlier issues. Specs are on the CS1 (these always scan dirty - I hate that, but the card is crisp so I don't want to handle it too much before it goes off to PSA).

Also back TTM, this is a high-grade PSA crackout. Connelly normally personalizes, so I made a donation. He signed nicely and also threw in another vintage signed card (1971 OPC). Very nice of him! This was round-trip to Canada in about 3 weeks.

Last, I bought another modern Wings RC. DJ Danny D!

• Options
    Even though I've been posting cards regularly here, I feel like I haven't been buying a ton. I have a total of 2 eBay purchases that haven't arrived/been posted. Most of my time has been working on stuff for private/public signings. There are a wreck coming up: Mikita, Bucyk, Hossa, Fedorov, Lindros, Hasek, Bure, Lapointe, Sittler, Datsyuk, Gainey, Dionne, Park, Giacomin, Murphy, Cournoyer are all on my Fall docket between now and the end of November. Pretty exciting group there! Hopefully all will go smoothly. I still have 3 subs waiting to pop at PSA as well: 8 more signed HOF RCs (red flips), 2 signed Yzerman tickets, and a August CC modern special of 30-ish odds and ends, most of which I have been meaning to sell. I am hoping to get all 3 back by the end of October, but wouldn't be surprised if the ticket sub (logged 8/22) takes longer.

Today's card.

First, I think this is a real beauty. 1954 Topps hockey is an iconic set and this card is nicely and boldly signed by HOFer Marcel Pronovost. He no longer signs due to health reasons, making his auto scare. The card has wear, but it is even with great eye appeal. Pretty nice addition to my collection of signed Red Wings items.

Second, a couple more Yzerman autos. I have been buying cards that are (a) either vintage or his "nice" auto and (b) cheap. These aren't vintage, but are definitely a modern "nice"/"I was actually trying" auto and I got them for a fair price. I think they'll look good in blue flips down the road.

imageimage

Last, TTM. This card was mailed on 5/13/14, so it took over 4 months to come back. In the meantime, I picked up a graded copy (blue flip) and send it in with my CC renewal. It came back as a PSA 7, which is (I think) what this would register as. Still, a nice card, signed for free TTM by a HOFer, Joe Mullen. Sent c/o the Flyers.

• Options
    That's quite the lineup of autographs you've got coming up. Sounds like this thread is gonna get really juicy in the next couple months! And yes, I agree that 54 Topps hockey is one of the most iconic sets of all time in any sport.
  • Options
    2 more, both TTM:

First, last card I needed to have the complete Mickey Redmond lifetime collection (jk). This is actually a tough card to find in the 1968 OPC set. Really really tough in high grade. Wish he signed in sharpie, but c'est la vie.

Second, progress on the Red Wings front office staff business card collection. I am now only missing Hakan Andersson and Coach Mike B. (Note: the board's filters won't let me write out his last name... c'mon!). Jim Devellano, HHOF:

One cool thing about this is that the reverse is his Detroit Tigers business card. He signed that, too! Don't say this thread is only hockey, baseball guys! LOL

• Options
    So do you write to these guys and ask for a signed biz card? It's not like you already have one you can send.
  • Options
    I did. I doubt they've got a real business card shortage around the office. image
  • Options
    Been out of town for the last week in Lexington, KY. Got back home to a few cards worth sharing.

TTM --
    1967 Topps Glen Sather (HOF)
    1970 Topps Bruce MacGregor (very nice autograph)
    1971 Topps Goals Leaders, now signed by Bobby Hull and John Bucyk (both TTM, separate trips)

eBay --
    1987 Topps Steve Yzerman Box Bottom PSA Auth
    1990 Pro Set Gordie Howe
    2005 UD SPx Jimmy Howard Rookie Jersey Auto /1499
    2014 UD SPx Petr Mrazek Rookie Jersey
    2014 Panini National Treasures Petr Mrazek Dual Mem Auto /25 (very nice patches)

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1990 Pro Set Gordie Howe >>

Nice auto on one of my favorite junk wax sets image
  • Options
    This is highly awesome.

• Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Your collection never ceases to amaze. Happy puck drop day for the Wings! Excited to see how the kids skate this year. If Nyquist and Tatar can get stronger on their skates, they could really become superstars. But I don't think I need to explain that you...you've probably been watching them since their Euro junior days.
  • Options

<< <i>This is highly awesome. >>

Understatement of the year!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed following your pickups Casey.

Superb collection.

Thanx!
    Mike
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Casey- This thread is awesome. I get introduced to new cards on the regular here. There are some really great years of hockey. I really like the 57 Parkies. Curious to know your favorite year. 54 Topps is also a fave. My Howe is one of my favorite cards in my collection.

That Mikita is wicked too....and the Roy!

So many sweet cards in this collection you're putting together.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Davis - great game last night. Nyquist! Good to see him start off hot. I have a lot of hope for a good season, despite lots of lingering concerns about Red Wings management decisions (Cleary signing, off-season FA strikeouts, Mrazek to GR, Oullet to GR). It's always great to turn on FSN and hear Ken and Mick do the calls for the start of another season.

Jim - thanks. My pet set is 1961 Parkhurst. If I had to collect another, which I'm telling myself I'm *not* going to do right now, I would probably pick 58, 59, or 60 Topps. I like the look of all 3 a lot, they're iconic with star players, and they cover a different subset of old hockey - with a Topps/Parkhurst split of teams (Topps getting the U.S. teams before 60).

I am waiting on a couple more, then I'll probably send off a small set to PSA for Red Flip authentication and grading. Hopefully by the end of the month.
  • Options
    Sometimes I've had elaborate write-ups. Sometimes, the best thing to say is "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!".

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Just got him back yesterday too. I'm stunned you risked it in the mail though. I mean look, I risk stupid stuff in the mail all the time too and have a reasonable success rate but that would have STUNK to lose...but AWESOME to succeed!
  • Options
    I have to gush again... your thread has turned into my dream collection. So amazing. I am insanely jealous and amazed. Congrats and keep it up. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am also so happy that October is here. I have already wore out my GCL subscription image
  • Options

<< <i>Just got him back yesterday too. I'm stunned you risked it in the mail though. I mean look, I risk stupid stuff in the mail all the time too and have a reasonable success rate but that would have STUNK to lose...but AWESOME to succeed! >>

To the stupid go the spoils?

I actually told my wife the same thing. She is aware of roughly how much that card is valued at and that any number of terrible things can happen to a TTM. I think the word I used was "guts", but I am definitely on that page... Well, glad that is over, I can add a PSA 3 or 4 Keon to my signed 61 Parkhurst and HOF rookie sets and hopefully not have to mail a multi-hundred dollar card to a stranger with no well-grounded expectation of return again!
  • Options
    Just a couple of cards to share, as the buying has been slow. Hoping that I might get some poppage from PSA within the week. Will post those results when they're in.

Addition to the HOF rookie set: Dale Hawerchuk. I am thinking this card is a PSA 6.

A couple of signed Wings cards. Can't resist picking these up on the cheap.

imageimage

• Options
    These two are both from private signings in Canada. Neither is a member of the HOF, though I hope that both will be someday. Nice, high grade examples of each.

imageimage
  • Options
    Moar!

I have been posting a ton of signed cards, but I do also obviously collect unsigned graded material. Mostly vintage, but I have been picking up a few pieces here and there that are priced well or that I generally just like. So, here's a couple of additions to my Red Wings collection:

imageimage

I got this for my signed HOF collection as an upgrade. Hoping that it is a PSA 7. It could be anywhere from a 6-8. Also has a much nicer auto than my previous version.

I heard yesterday that Gordie Howe is done signing. He has dementia and his health has been declining for some time. It is bittersweet news: sad to hear that he's not doing better, but also good that his family has decided, rightly, that it is time for him to no longer undergo the stresses of signings. I believe that his appearance at Detroit City Sports was his last; kind of an interesting asterisk to the signing where I met him and got him to sign his rookie card. What a hero.
  • Options
    thanks to Casey for Bill's address!

If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars. J Paul Getty
  • Options
    Very cool. I just got mine back, too!

• Options
    A few other cards that have accumulated

1969 OPC Gordie Howe PSA 9 - this is a nice card; nicer than I usually would pick up for my side-collection of Red Wings graded stuff. But, I got it at about 50% of VCP, so I thought it was too good of a deal to pass up.
    2003 Topps Total Steve Yzerman signed - beautiful auto
    1984 OPC Steve Yzerman Rookie Scoring Leader signed - this is PSA/DNA auth but not encapsulated. Great deal. Card condition could be better.
    1974 OPC Steve Shutt signed. HOF rookie. eBay purchase for $25. Took a flyer because it looked like the card was in good condition. It is. Card is worth ~$70 in PSA 7 unsigned, so I think I came out alright. Would hope for nothing less than a PSA 6 and it could easily be higher.
    1952 Parkhurst Ted Lindsay signed. Not his rookie; this is a 2nd year. Purchased at a Gibraltar show this summer for cheap. Took about a month - month and a half for return with a $10 donation to Ted. Spot paper loss in top-right corner makes it low grade but it has nice eye appeal and I never planned on getting it graded, so it doesn't bother me.
    1961 Parkhurst Jean Guy Talbot signed. TTM. 3 months? Nice, nice upgrade for my signed 61 Parkhurst set. This was a PSA 4 crack-out, which is the perfect grade for TTM autos.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    That Lindsay is sick. And good to see you finally picked up your first signed Yzermans image from a non hockey collector, what's the story with the Barber cards being in 2 different colors?
  • Options

<< <i>what's the story with the Barber cards being in 2 different colors? >>

The yellow is 1973 Topps; the red is 1973 O-Pee-Chee. It is the only year that I can think of where they are different colors, but perhaps someone can correct me. I'm not sure why.
  • Options
    I figured it was a Topps vs OPC thing but they both seemed to have rough cuts.
  • Options
    Some late night grades came in. Very happy with these! Only the Gadsby was lower than expected; all others where I thought or higher.

1 1952 Parkhurst 34 Leo Boivin PSA/DNA Certified VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4
    2 1951 Parkhurst 37 Bill Gadsby PSA/DNA Certified GOOD 2
    3 1986 O-Pee-Chee 53 Patrick Roy PSA/DNA Certified NEAR MINT-MINT 8
    4 1981 O-Pee-Chee 161 Dino Ciccarelli PSA/DNA Certified NEAR MINT+ 7.5
    5 1975 O-Pee-Chee Wha 7 Mark Howe PSA/DNA Certified NEAR MINT 7
    6 1965 Topps 31 Gerry Cheevers PSA/DNA Certified EXCELLENT-MINT 6
    7 1961 Topps 62 Rod Gilbert PSA/DNA Certified EXCELLENT 5
    8 1958 Topps 66 Bobby Hull PSA/DNA Certified POOR 1
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More great stuff Casey and good grades.

The PSA 9 OPC Gordy is incredible!
    Mike
  • Options
    1957 Topps John Bucyk. Private signing via CSA Shows @ Chantilly. Upgrade over my other one.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Wow ... real nice auto'd cards! Congrats. Enjoy them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks all for the comments and compliments. Much appreciated.

Here are the scans from the PSA sub I posted earlier. I am really enjoying collecting signed HOF rookies. It's just such an amazing challenge: to not only find a high quality, nice example of each rookie card but to also get or find an autograph that represents it well. Condition is just so tough and the combination of card + autograph rarity makes it a tough chase. Happy to add these to my collection.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Wow, so much great stuff here that I don't know where to start! I think Cheevers is my favorite.
  • Options
    Casey...I'm just curious...how many Yzerman auto's do you have? Seems like new ones pop up in here every week. Amazing!

Also, hell of a comeback last night! LGRW
  • Options

<< <i>how many Yzerman auto's do you have? >>

Too many! I have been picking them up if:
    (a) it's the "nice" version - his auto varies a lot, some are quite nice, some are scribbles
    or
    (b) it's on a "vintage" card (pre-90). I dunno, I was thinking I might keep one of each of his cards from the 80s.
    and
    (c) the price is right (<$25)

I do a fair amount of selling and always told myself that I'd pick up a bunch, keep the ones I really liked, and sell the rest. So far, that plan has not worked well ... I probably have 25-30 Yzerman autos. Really need to do some Spring cleaning at some point.

<< <i>Also, hell of a comeback last night! LGRW >>

Dude, yes. I was watching the TNF pre-game and missed the beginning, then tuned in for the middle, then got re-caught up in the football game (damn you Malcom Floyd and your crappy fantasy numbers) and then missed watching the end of the Wings game. I follow the DRW Twitter and saw they won in overtime and regretting my viewing decisions. The highlights look crazy! Nice to see Kronwall have a good game - he's been solid but never has put up the kind of points Lidstrom or some offense-first Dmen have. Seeing him score important goals is great. And, Abdelkader has a special place in my heart (Go Green! I know we differ here but ... yeah, you get it). Nice to see him evolve into an NHL mainstay and top-6 guy.
  • Options
    Haha. Yes! Zetterberg has been magic lately. He's involved in pretty much every goal scored over this season.

Also, I have another question for you as one of the boards resident hockey card experts. I picked up a lots of '82, '83, and 85' OPC recently. The '85 is a full set. However, I noticed that the cards are not uniform in size. Does PSA give some leeway to these poorly cut OPC sets with sizing or do they quickly slab in No Grade - MIN SIZE if it doesn't line up. For example, the '85 Lemieux RC and Gretzky are slightly different in size. Also, a lot of the set has a bit of a tilt to the cards (especially the yzerman). The set does have the typical OPC rough cut. Should I also be concerned it was sheet cut? Thanks bud!
  • Options
    You should be fine RE: sheet cutting. 82/83 especially are not super valuable sets, so there's no much incentive for it. Plus the rough cut and it adds up to "good". Tilt and other issues are very common with 80s OPC, so I don't think that's much of a sign either way. I'd be more worried about Min-Size. Even right from the factory, there is considerable variance in size. I haven't had much trouble with PSA about that, so perhaps there is a little allowance, but I haven't subbed a lot of 80s OPC. Definitely ask around about that, but the assumption should be that you're probably good there.

Where'd you pick up the sets? Somewhere in MI?
  • Options
    Grabbed this nicely signed vintage card of a deceased HOFer for my Red Wings collection. First signed Abel card I've owned.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Abel card. It is a nice sig and displays nicely!
  • Options
    That's a neat design. Does the whole 62 parkie set look like that?
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. Nope, the 62 set has several different designs. It's the least uniform of any vintage Parkhurst set. Some have almost solid color backgrounds, some 60s mod, some with pucks like Sid. Some players even have multiple cards with different backgrounds. It's all over the place.
  • Options
    Bit of stuff today.

1981 OPC Glenn Anderson HOF RC. Private signing. Upgrade.
    1971 OPC Marcel Dionne HOF RC. Private signing. Upgrade.
    1972 OPC Stanley Cup signed by Sid Abel. eBay. Nice card.
    1969 OPC Stanley Cup signed by Ted Lindsay. Nice bold autograph.
    1992 Sports Flash Maurice Richard. eBay. Don't know anything about these cards, but it's my first signed Rocket!
    1992 Sports Flash Jean Beliveau. eBay. Nice HOF counterpart to the Richard.
    1960 Parkhurst Sid Abel. eBay. Cool card, all around.
    1993 Score Vladimir Konstantinov. eBay. Great price on a tough auto.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

I've got several nice items at PSA now, working their way through the system. Hopefully poppage by the end of the week!
  • Options
    Some grades from an August CC Special group sub.

This was cleaning out a lot of my odds and ends and almost all of it is FS. Overall, was happy with the result. Glad that the Yzerman rookies graded so high (I thought they were 6s!), glad that the Henri Richard came back an 8 (it was a PSA 5 crackout - I couldn't see why), and glad that I didn't completely miss the boat on grading modern stuff, since I never really do it. I'll keep the Kronwall PSA 10 base card, the Delvecchio PSA 10 mini, and the Yzerman Rookie Scoring Leader PSA 9 as a upgrade.

I busted a bit of 84 OPC. Not sure if these 10s are low pop - I'll have to check. No idea why the one graded a 4 - almost assuredly a crease I missed.

27 1 23225477 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1968 Topps 64 Henri Richard Card
    28 1 23225478 MINT 9 1988 Topps Stickers 8 Wayne Gretzky Card
    29 1 23225479 MINT 9 1988 Topps Stickers 2 Mario Lemieux Card
    30 1 23225480 MINT 9 1984 O-Pee-Chee 375 Tom Barrasso Calder Trophy Card
    31 1 23225481 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1984 O-Pee-Chee 67 Steve Yzerman Card
    32 1 23225482 NEAR MINT 7 1984 O-Pee-Chee 67 Steve Yzerman Card
    33 1 23225483 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1984 O-Pee-Chee 234 Danny Quinn Card
    34 1 23225484 GEM MINT 10 1984 O-Pee-Chee 73 Chris Kotsopoulos Card
    35 1 23225485 GEM MINT 10 1984 O-Pee-Chee 226 Steve Konroyd Card
    36 1 23225486 GEM MINT 10 1984 O-Pee-Chee 252 Dave Lumley Card
    37 1 23225487 MINT 9 1984 O-Pee-Chee 374 Wayne Gretzky Hart Trophy Card
    38 1 23225488 MINT 9 1984 O-Pee-Chee 385 Steve Yzerman Rookie Scoring Leader Card
    39 1 23225489 GEM MINT 10 2013 Upper Deck Artifacts 28 Gabriel Landeskog Card
    40 1 23225490 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2013 Upper Deck Artifacts 88 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Card
    41 1 23225491 GEM MINT 10 2013 Upper Deck Artifacts 98 Wayne Gretzky Card
    42 1 23225492 GEM MINT 10 2013 Upper Deck Artifacts 75 Niklas Kronwall Card
    43 1 23225493 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 246 Tyler Toffoli Green Prizm Card
    44 1 23225494 GEM MINT 10 2011 Parkhurst Champ's Mini Signatures 5 Alex Delvecchio Card
    50 1 23225500 MINT 9 1988 O-Pee-Chee Sticker Brett Hull-127/Tom Barrasso-259 Card