Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

charrigan's Pick Ups

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Nice evolution on the Fuhr rookie. In an unopened pack for 32 years. Opened, graded a 9, cracked, auto'ed. Looks awesome! >>

Thanks! Interesting to hear the history of the card from your side. It is now at jsweiton's place waiting submission as part of the PSA/DNA Red Flip group sub. I'll post a "done pic" when it is completed. Card looks like it is still in decent shape, so I am hopeful that it will grade an 8 or 9. We'll see. The history/life-trajectory of cards has been something that has always interested me about collecting autographs. It is cool to think about a 1951 Parkhurst card that has gone 60+ years without ever crossing paths of the person who is depicted on it - then, there is finally that day...
  • Options
    I picked up a couple of Jimmy Howard rookies recently. The first was on eBay and second was at at newer card show in Brighton, MI. I like going to card shows because, well, I like cards, but there usually isn't much offered that fit my relatively specialized interests. Sometimes I can find an autographed card that I am interested in, but at this show, there were none. On the 2nd pass, I saw a Howard rookie for a fair price, so I decided to add it to my Red Wings collection.

imageimage
  • Options
    rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    I was at the Brighton show too. Didn't see the Howard, but I may have been there later than you. I stuck mostly to the 5¢ and 10¢ boxes. Wasn't much that fit my collecting focus either.
  • Options
    One more for the before/after. Alex Delvecchio was added to the same DC Sports show as Ted Lindsay. Plan to get this one done, too, to upgrade my signed set. I think that'll be the end of the line--or at least, it should be.

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    One of the greatest threads ever. Thank you!
  • Options
    Thank you! I am happy to share. I appreciate hearing that people like to read.

I picked up an upgrade for my signed 1961 Parkhurst set.

A quick recap on where I am with this.

41/51 complete - 10 remaining.

Of those 10, I know 2 to exist, as they are listed in the PSA Pop Report: Tim Horton and Terry Sawchuk. Hockey guys know those are both TOUGH names due to early deaths - so they will not be easy to come by. I would probably pay to simply see them.

Of the other 8, 5 are dead and I am unsure that a signed card exists: Ron Stewart, Billy Harris, Allan Stanley, Jacques Plante, and Claude Provost. Of these, I am hopeful on Stewart, Harris, and Stanley. Plante and Provost are going to be tough because, again, early deaths.

The remaining 3 players are still alive but I have both (a) never seen a signed card and (b) been unable to reach them. They are: Bob Nevin, Al Johnson, and Howie Glover. I am hopeful that I will eventually get all of them at some point.

So, the upgrade: Ed Litzenberger. Deceased 2010. New card is the one on the left below. Not amazingly tough but not extremely common. I like the upgrade a bit more because it is signed in blue and has less noticeable creasing.

imageimage
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Without examples, I'm positive the Ron Stewart and Allan Stanley exist. I had TTM success with each of them before their deaths (on 69 Topps and 51 Parkie - on the back unfortunately). I'm sure someone got that card signed. Billy Harris cards show up from time to time too. I've seen a Provost here and there too.
  • Options
    Mike---agreed, I'm optimistic on those, too. A couple of times, guys have told me that they have one to sell me, only to pull a 60 or a 63 Parkie out of the box. There are enough around that the odds of one surfacing and entering my life orbit are high enough if I give it some time.

Also, as I edited the title, I realized that this thread has come full circle--as the older Litzenberger card was featured in my first post. It's been a good year (basically) with a bunch of cool stuff--hopefully more ahead.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Casey - The blue signature looks MUCH nicer! Enjoy.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Card on the left is a BIG upgrade! And I told you this before, but the picture on that card might be my favorite in the set. Congrats!
  • Options
    2 cards back from signings. This was the first time that I have done mail order with Framework. Overall, I would give them a B: straight-forward process for sending in, excellent line-up of current players, reasonably prompt return, and shipped the cards UPS with tracking. Only downgrade would be the auto from Toews which is imperfect. I didn't prep the card, but I never do. I put that on them to use a good pen, have the player take their time, etc. I am still pretty happy as it is not too bad and it looks like both cards were returned in good shape.

I am thinking that I will send in another small batch for grading in mid-May. These two, plus Glenn Hall, Alex Ovechkin, Lindsay, Delvecchio (all being completed at signings now), plus upgrades for Paul Coffey and Johnny Bower (which I plan to do myself IP at the Toronto Expo in early May.

imageimage
  • Options
    "Nice cards" image
  • Options
    A couple of cards that I purchased a bit ago. Sunday night is a good time to catch up on sharing.

1993 Action Packed John D'Amico - HOF "RC"
    1993 Classic Cammi Granato - HOF RC - I would still like to get a 97 UD for the PSA registry, at some point
    1994 Classic and 1997 UD National Heroes Hayley Wickenheiser - future HOF RCs, former is earliest; latter is the registry card

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    I was really happy with these. Both were consignments. For those who rarely do autos, a "consignment" means I gave my card to a person who did not have an organized signing with the player I was seeking, but who thought they had a reasonable chance to get the autograph of that person. In this case, there were a couple of hockey events in the Edmonton area in the past month that were attended by several big-name retired players. Fortunately, the person I sent my cards to was able to get both players, Doug Gilmour and Joe Nieuwendyk. Both are HOF RCs. I've got another Gilmour (nicer, in fact) but this was a good price, I already had a PSA 8 that I intended to get signed, and I figured I'd take a back-up in case the original does not grade well. I needed the Nieuwendyk and think it turned out awesome. Actually, if I had known it would have looked this good, I would have sent a nicer card! Still, this should grade as a 7 or 8, which is reasonable. Obviously, with consignments, success is uncertain, as is quality of autograph (not nearly the same expectation as a sit-down). The upside, though, is the price! Gilmour was $15 and Nieuwendyk was $7.50. Can't beat that!

imageimage
  • Options
    I thought I might need to boycott this thread after your previous post image but these 2 latest additions are spectacular!
  • Options
    Finally!

It has been a long time since I was able to upgrade the set that I have been working on. Cards have been few and far between, with my main "supplier" PWCC running thin in 2015. I did manage to make a deal, though, and picked up a nice Albert "Junior" Langlois. The card is crisp and displays well, I think. Very happy to add it and make some progress. I am 6 cards away from completing the set in PSA 9+, which is one of my collecting goals for the year.

Also, of note, I sent this card in for a reholder after it was mailed to me from Canada. This was the second time that I have had a graded card that was holdered with the internal mylar/plastic insert that I reholdered and requested on the form to "please holder without inner plastic sleeve". Both times, it was successful.

• Options
    More HOF signed RCs.

2005 UD Young Guns Alex Ovechkin RC - future HOFer - private signing
    1988 Carretta Trucking Lou Lamoriello RC - TTM - PSA considers this card his rookie for purposes of the Registry. It seems that these were issued by a NJ company as a team set in individual cellos. They are slightly oversized, so I scanned it in the CS1
    1990 7th Inning Sketch Brian Kilrea RC - TTM. He actually signed both the front and back on accident. I think it's kind of cool that way.

imageimage
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A couple of cards that I purchased a bit ago. Sunday night is a good time to catch up on sharing.

1993 Action Packed John D'Amico - HOF "RC"
    1993 Classic Cammi Granato - HOF RC - I would still like to get a 97 UD for the PSA registry, at some point
    1994 Classic and 1997 UD National Heroes Hayley Wickenheiser - future HOF RCs, former is earliest; latter is the registry card

imageimage
    imageimage >>

Nice Cammi & Wick cards!

Lou L. looks pretty creepy to me on your signed card.
  • Options

<< <i>Lou L. looks pretty creepy to me on your signed card. >>

Agreed! It kind of looks like the Devil's tail is coming out of him! Not the best picture, LOL.
  • Options
    I got a wave of cards back from signings in Canada. Some of these go back as far as December - so it's been built up for a while. I was really happy with these turned out. They're through a company called Sportauthentix and I have been impressed in all of my interactions with them, so I thought I should rep it a little. Highly recommended.

A few 1961 Parkhurst cards. Some of these are upgrades, some possibly not - I will have to look closely before my next submission to decide.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

I also got a couple done for the signed HOF RC set:

1952 Parkhurst Dickie Moore - he's great TTM, but I thought I might get a better auto at the signing. Looks great.
    1963 Parkhurst Red Berenson - not in the HOF... still significant, and maybe someday!

• Options
    I'm always excited for you when you add to your 61 parkie collection.

I had never seen a 63 parkie, but that card looks awesome!
  • Options
    Signed tickets ...

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 23869905 N0: AUTHENTIC 2008 Stanley Cup Final-Full Full Gm.6: Det-3,Pit-2/MVP-Zetterberg Jun.4 (Pit.Rnd.4,HM.GM.3) PSA/DNA Certified Ticket
    2 1 23869906 N0: AUTHENTIC 2007 NCAA Frozen Four-Full Full Michigan State-3, Boston College-1 Championship PSA/DNA Certified Ticket
    2 2 23869907 N0: AUTHENTIC 2007 NCAA Frozen Four-Full Full Michigan State-3, Boston College-1 Championship PSA/DNA Certified Ticket

Total Items: 3
    Date Received: 1/9/2015
  • Options
    I must be having a good day, because my other sub popped too. I tried to be extra careful with these and it paid off.

Order #20896208 / Submission #10006294

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 23952641 GEM MINT 10 2010 in the Game Between the Pipes Autograph Pmr Petr Mrazek Card
    2 1 23952642 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 88 Tomas Vokoun Gold Prizm Card
    3 1 23952643 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Immortalized I-3 Jonathan Toews Orange Prizm Card
    4 1 23952644 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Immortalized I-16 Jonathan Quick Orange Prizm Card
    5 1 23952645 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 164 Pekka Rinne Orange Die-Cut Prizm Card
    6 1 23952646 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 208 Ryan Spooner Orange Die-Cut Prizm Card
    7 1 23952647 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 77 Steve Mason Orange Die-Cut Prizm Card
    8 1 23952648 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Autographs A-SC Sean Couturier Prizm Card
    9 1 23952649 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Rookie Autographs A-NP Nick Petrecki Card
    10 1 23952650 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Rookie Autographs A-NB Nathan Beaulieu Card
    11 1 23952651 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Autographs A-RS Riley Sheahan Card
    12 1 23952652 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Rookie Autographs A-PY Mark Pysyk Card
    13 1 23952653 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Autographs A-JD Justin Dibenedetto Prizm Card
    14 1 23952654 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Autographs A-BU Brent Burns Card
    15 1 23952655 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Rookie Autographs A-NJ Nicklas Jensen Card
    16 1 23952656 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 256 Filip Forsberg Card
    17 1 23952657 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 256 Filip Forsberg Prizm Card
    18 1 23952658 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 153 Jeff Carter Prizm Card
    19 1 23952659 MINT 9 2013 Panini Prizm 111 Ryan Getzlaf Prizm Card
    20 1 23952660 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 77 Steve Mason Prizm Card
    21 1 23952661 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 93 Steven Stamkos Prizm Card
    22 1 23952662 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Pivotal Players PP-6 Patrick Kane Prizm Card
    23 1 23952663 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Pivotal Players PP-4 Curtis Glencross Prizm Card
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That is an incredible percentage of 10's. Congrats!
    Steve
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Good job!
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. Prizm is kind of a softball for grading because the cardstock is extra rigid, making all the corners 10s and they are not at all prone to issues with centering. The metallic cards are almost 100% about surface and I was very picky about not subbing any that had even the slightly issues. I also switched to sub these in penny sleeves within CS1s, not bare on the CS1, and I think that was better for avoiding scuffs while in transit and when inserting/removing from the Card Saver. I have one more batch at PSA now; after that is the end of the road for 2013 Prizms. Really fun set with beautiful cards.

Got this back today from a private signing at Frozen Pond. My review: customer service "A" (no issues, not really tested but went smooth), auto quality "A-" (perfect, could have been placed better), promptness/service "A" (shipped back within a week of signing with UPS tracked. Took 3 days from Toronto to my door), price "C+" (fair price on auto, but $20 charge for return shipping is steep. At least I saved on the whole thing with the exchange rate ($70 became $50ish).

1996 Upper Deck Joe Thornton, future HOFer (probably), RC:

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats on all the tens Casey. I agree with that recent auto ... It should have been placed a little higher by his arm.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, guys. Prizm is kind of a softball for grading because the cardstock is extra rigid, making all the corners 10s and they are not at all prone to issues with centering. The metallic cards are almost 100% about surface and I was very picky about not subbing any that had even the slightly issues. I also switched to sub these in penny sleeves within CS1s, not bare on the CS1, and I think that was better for avoiding scuffs while in transit and when inserting/removing from the Card Saver. I have one more batch at PSA now; after that is the end of the road for 2013 Prizms. Really fun set with beautiful cards.

Got this back today from a private signing at Frozen Pond. My review: customer service "A" (no issues, not really tested but went smooth), auto quality "A-" (perfect, could have been placed better), promptness/service "A" (shipped back within a week of signing with UPS tracked. Took 3 days from Toronto to my door), price "C+" (fair price on auto, but $20 charge for return shipping is steep. At least I saved on the whole thing with the exchange rate ($70 became $50ish).

1996 Upper Deck Joe Thornton, future HOFer (probably), RC:

image >>

Shipping from Canada to US with tracking for $20 is expensive but that's what it costs. At least.
  • Options

<< <i>Shipping from Canada to US with tracking for $20 is expensive but that's what it costs. At least. >>

That depends on what you mean by "it". If you mean, they sent it UPS 3-day from Toronto and that literally costs $20, I understand. I appreciated the speed and tracking!

But, if you mean shipping from Canada to the US costs $20, it most certainly does not. $5 gets it done with change. Perhaps an option for less expensive but slower and untracked items?If that's just not how they can operate because they're a company and fraud, etc etc., that's just even more reason to like alternatives that I have named elsewhere in this thread.

They're just my subjective rankings, feel free to take them as they are. Overall, I was happy and I would send items in to them again. But, I couldn't help but look at the invoice that said "signed flat - $49, shipping - $20" and shake my head a little bit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Shipping from Canada to US with tracking for $20 is expensive but that's what it costs. At least. >>

That depends on what you mean by "it". If you mean, they sent it UPS 3-day from Toronto and that literally costs $20, I understand. I appreciated the speed and tracking!

But, if you mean shipping from Canada to the US costs $20, it most certainly does not. $5 gets it done with change. Perhaps an option for less expensive but slower and untracked items?If that's just not how they can operate because they're a company and fraud, etc etc., that's just even more reason to like alternatives that I have named elsewhere in this thread.

They're just my subjective rankings, feel free to take them as they are. Overall, I was happy and I would send items in to them again. But, I couldn't help but look at the invoice that said "signed flat - $49, shipping - $20" and shake my head a little bit. >>

You referred to shipping with tracking which I what I was also referencing. Yes without tracking would have cost $2.95 for one card in small bubble envelope. Edited to add that I am not defending and would never defend Frozen Pond.
  • Options
    I was very interested to read your perspective on Thornton. After he left Boston I followed him for a year or 2 with the Sharks, but then I stopped watching the NHL entirely. Wasn't aware he'd stayed great.
  • Options
    A bit of misc that I got around to scanning.

2014 UD YG Aaron Ekblad RC - consignment
    1990 Pro Set Kerry Fraser "RC" - future HOFer TTM. Cool inscription and very nice return letter. What a class act!
    1997 UD National Heroes Geraldine Heaney HOF RC - eBay
    1999 SPx Steve Yzerman - not sure, just liked this card
    1973 Topps Billy Smith HOF RC - didn't have one, filler until I get something nicer

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Cool updates. That Yzerman SPXcitment care is appropriately named (so much razzle dazzle haha).

The inscription on Kerry Fraser's auto is priceless.

And the Joe Thornton auto...I've never been much of a fan of him and the photo on that card doesn't help the cause much haha. Probably just because it pisses me off to lose to a hockey team from California in the playoffs.

Oh...and go Wings!
  • Options

<< <i>I was very interested to read your perspective on Thornton. After he left Boston I followed him for a year or 2 with the Sharks, but then I stopped watching the NHL entirely. Wasn't aware he'd stayed great. >>

Well, I've never been a big fan. That is probably heavily shaped by my affinity for the Red Wings, who were a major rival of the Sharks in the Western Conference for all those years. And, the Sharks sure seemed like they frequently had the upper hand...

But, he's on a HOF path. Over 1200 points and a couple of major awards (Hart and Art Ross). That's basically a point per game over a career that is approaching 20 years. Decent top and significant productivity over a long period of time. Olympic Gold. Biggest knocks are (a) no Cup, and actually a bit of a rep as a playoff choke-artist and (b) he had one monster season but hasn't had sustained elite success.
  • Options

<< <i>Probably just because it pisses me off to lose to a hockey team from California in the playoffs. >>

Yes, absolutely. That pretty much sums it up. Something has always been especially grating about playing the Sharks and Ducks in games that matter.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    As a Sharks fan I dig the Thornton. Remember when we got him. He and Marleau were 1&2 from same draft if I recall.

That Fraser is cool too. Man did he get hassled at the Tank...probably everywhere actually. Dug the inscription.

Always great stuff Casey!

Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

<< <i>As a Sharks fan I dig the Thornton. Remember when we got him. He and Marleau were 1&2 from same draft if I recall.

That Fraser is cool too. Man did he get hassled at the Tank...probably everywhere actually. Dug the inscription.

Always great stuff Casey!

Jim >>

C'mon Ref is the title of his blog on TSN

link
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, Fraser and Thornton both get into the Hall.

After that Fraser auto, I think your new White Whale should be either one of, or both, an auto of Jim Schoenfeld and/or Don Koharski with the inscription "Have another doughnut" Those would be nice epic additions to your collection. I also think you should get a 2005 Michigan Wolverines Jack Johnson with the auto inscription "JMFJ" but spelled out (though I can't spell it out here because the post would get blocked).

• Options
    rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the Fraser is cool. Reminds me of a few years ago when I saw the Whalers play the Sarnia Sting. The Sting have a banner in the arena honoring Fraser who's from Sarnia. First time I've ever seen a banner for a referee. Plus he had some of the best hair in hockey.
  • Options

<< <i>Plus he had some of the best hair in hockey. >>

Oh, absolutely!
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thornton is a lock for the Hall. Too bad he won't waive his no trade to go somewhere and win a cup, he has 150+ points left in him over the next 2-3 years and I would love to see him C the Habs top line!
  • Options
    Scans from the ticket sub. In case anyone is keeping score in terms of their own subs, these took 52 business days to complete. Logged on 1/9. In my hands 3/27. Long wait, but they look great. These are cool enough that they'll probably get to hang out in my office on shelves for a while!

2008 Stanley Cup Championship - signed by Henrik Zetterberg, Conn Smythe
    2007 NCAA Frozen Four Championship - signed by Justin Abdelkader, MVP

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are 2 wicked nice ticks Casey!
    Mike
  • Options
    I was very happy to see this hit eBay the other day and to be able to pick it up. Before seeing this card, I was not 100% sure that one existed - I had never seen one. I've tried to TTM Howie Glover several times but have never received a return. Grabbing this card brings me to 9 remaining:

#1 Horton
    #6 Stewart
    #10 Nevin
    #15 Harris
    #16 Stanley
    #22 Johnson
    #31 Sawchuk
    #49 Plante
    #50 Provost

Slow but steady. Hopefully I can knock out another 1-2 of these this year.

• Options
    Very cool!
  • Options
    Thanks, guys, for all the comments this week. I hope that everyone is doing well and happy in life and collecting!

I've got a long week of work ahead, so I thought that I would share what I have now, as I won't be updating much for a bit.

1971 OPC Jean Believeau Retirement Special signed - eBay - super cool looking card, IMO. I would like to get a signed copy of the Gordie Howe someday, too.
    2010 ITG Heroes and Prospects Petr Mrazek auto - this was from my most recent sub (grades posted above)
    2014 UD Young Guns Johnny Gaudreau signed RC - "Johnny Hockey"

Not too much going on other than this. Waiting on cards out at a few signings/events: Patrick Kane, Glenn Hall, Sergei Makarov, Steven Stamkos, Lanny MacDonald, Grant Fuhr, Joe Nieuwendyk, Denis Potvin, and Henrik Lundqvist. Those will be trickling in over the next month or so, hopefully!

PWCC again looks pretty sparse for 1961 Parkhurst - so I'll wait patiently for another upgrade on those.

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Cool stuff as always. The background on that Jean Believeau card reminds me of an old game show, like The Dating Game LOL.
  • Options
    And, I'm back ...

A couple of arrivals when I was out of town this week.

2008 UD YG Steven Stamkos RC - consignment - future HOFer
    1980 OPC Michel Goulet HOF RC - eBay. Interesting card with multiple inscriptions. Was already red flipped when I bought it. I have a few others (have been trying to get one in really high grade), but this one was priced really well so I picked it up. I think I can net money on it if I sell, so its a good placeholder for now.
    1954 Parkhurst Keith Allen HOF RC - eBay. Another card for the HOF Builders set. I think I am the only person in the world working on this set right now. It's a fool's errand, because a huge portion of it is impossible, but I'll try to get it as complete as possible. Allen played a bit in the NHL but never really made a mark as a player; he was an executive with the Flyers for many years.

imageimage
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    You're not the only one working the contributors, I'm currently at 14/102 on signed cards. Just got a 1953 Murray Costello Juniors Blue Tint TTM. Most of the sets I collect are impossible to complete, so the Hockey HOF contributors are no different image

That's a sharp Stamkos!
  • Options

<< <i>That's a sharp Stamkos! >>

Beautiful indeed!