Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

charrigan's Pick Ups

Comments

• Options
    Thanks guys, and Alex, it is good to know that I am not alone! I do not have a Costello, I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those. Blue Tints are a fun set; looks like that may be his only card - so I'll start there.

I got this back TTM today. Sent last summer, I believe - though, after that much time, it is hard to keep track. Zdeno Chara, likely future HOFer. 1997 SP Authentic Future Watch. It is a blue reflective card, so it scans terribly, but looks pretty decent in hand.

• Options
    I promised before/after shots of these.

Fun day at DC Sports. Both Lindsay and Delvecchio are class acts all the way; Lindsay especially. Super friendly, wearing a coat and tie, posing for pictures with everyone. Thanks me for making the time to come out. I can't really say enough.

Sorry, but not sorry for angles on these. Tilt your head to see them straight image I really didn't want to monkey around with them too much and risk damage. I'll post "after-after" shots when they're back from PSA in a few months.

imageimage
  • Options
    Got something else cool here. Busy couple of days ...

I got a tip from a member of another board that someone had located Al Johnson. He's in the 1961 Parkhurst set and I needed a card signed by him. Al is not a huge name, but I had never seen a card signed by him, he is quite obscure (featured in the 51 card set despite playing about 1 full season in the NHL), and has a generic name making him difficult to locate. I am not sure how he was found, but was told that a hockey biographer had done it and shared his address with a regular hockey autographer I know. I sent this card about 2 weeks ago, so it is a pretty quick turnaround. I have never seen his auto before, so I am not 100% that it is authentic - though it seems unlikely that someone is out there forging Al Johnson autos ...

This brings me to 8! Horton, Stewart, Nevin, Harris, Stanley, Sawchuk, Plante, Provost. 4 are achievable; 4 will be tough. This makes 2 additions on the year, with a handful of upgrades. I plan to get nicer copies of the Mahovlich and Bower at the Toronto card show in a couple of weeks.

• Options
    And, another nice card today. Funny how that goes. This one dates back ~5 months. I first bought a BVG 7, returned it due to an undisclosed defect (asked the seller if there was a corner crease, said there wasn't ... there was). I then nabbed this card, which wasn't quite as nice (PSA 5), but was a good bit less expensive. I still think it could grade a 5 on a good day, though I wouldn't feel robbed if it came back a 4.

I've decided that I'm going to do another personal red flip PSA/DNA submission. I am sending in 7 cards today: the one below, 52 Parkhurst Dickie Moore, 51 Parkhurst Delvecchio, 51 Parkhurst Lindsay, 07 UD Toews, 06 UD Malkin, and 05 UD Ovechkin, all of which are pictured in this thread. Due to policy change for 2015, I am sending them all in at the 10 day service level, so I should have them back by mid-May.

• Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Those Delvecchio and Lindsay RC's are amazing. Congrats on the autos!
  • Options
    Thanks, Davis!

Group sub from March popped and I had a few cards in it. Grades below; all fairly good. Was actually happy with the Sinden blue tint. I bought it raw for $20 and thought it might be trimmed. Candidate to be cracked and signed ... Only 1 dud in the bunch, dang you Matt Dumba....

184 1 24010160 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 198 Mark Scheifele Prizm Card
    185 1 24010161 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 156 Zach Parise Red Prizm Card
    186 1 24010162 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 342 Tomas Jurco Autograph-Prizm Card
    187 1 24010163 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 342 Tomas Jurco Autograph-Cracked Ice Card
    188 1 24010164 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 342 Tomas Jurco Cracked Ice Card
    189 1 24010165 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 164 Pekka Rinne Gold Prizm Card
    190 1 24010166 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Immortalized I-10 Martin Brodeur Prizm Card
    191 1 24010167 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 238 Justin Schultz Prizm Card
    192 1 24010168 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm 246 Tyler Toffoli Prizm Card
    193 1 24010169 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Prizm Rookie Autographs A-NB Nathan Beaulieu Card
    194 1 24010170 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1952 Juniors Blue Tint 85 Harry Sinden Card
    195 1 24010171 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Select 51 Logan Couture Prizm Card
    196 1 24010172 GEM MINT 10 2012 Panini Certified 87 Sidney Crosby Card
    197 1 24010173 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Select 62 Pavel Datsyuk Card
    198 1 24010174 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Select 172 Gordie Howe Card
    199 1 24010175 GEM MINT 10 2014 Upper Deck Canvas C23 Nathan MacKinnon Card
    200 1 24010176 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2013 Score 697 Matt Dumba Autograph Card
    201 1 24010177 GEM MINT 10 2013 Panini Titanium 178 Petr Mrazek Card
  • Options
    I got lucky and grabbed this a couple of days ago on eBay. I said I wanted one to match the Beliveau; my wish was granted. Auto even matches in blue pen.

A few keepers from the graded cards posted above, back from PSA:

imageimage
    imageimage

Thanks for looking, guys.
  • Options
    Nice TTM return from HOFer Henri Richard. Autographed on his 1952 Blue Tint XRC:

• Options
    Sweet Rocket! Love the blue tints.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I hate seeing the sigs degrade like that image

Happy he is still signing. Nice pickup!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    That's a cool one, Casey! What issue is it? Never seen!
  • Options
    Thanks! It is a 1952 Blue Tint Juniors card. You can see them all here: link. The set also the earliest card of Harry Sinden, Murray Costello, and Don Cherry. Most people just call them "blue tints".
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Awesome returns Casey. Enjoy them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Returned from a work trip last night to a week's worth of mail. Most are works in progress, but a couple of items that are good to share.

2005 UD YG Henrik Lundqvist - future HOFer RC - private signing
    1985-87 Cartophilium HOF Bill Chadwick - HOF "RC" in the ref/builder/coach category - eBay
    Business Card - Gary Bettman, NHL. He doesn't have a card (that I know of), so I thought this was the next-best option. TTM.

imageimage
  • Options
    This was a blue flip to red flip PSA/DNA conversion. Thanks to Ted (Ripublicaninmass) for facilitating!

There are 2 parts. (1) HOF Rookie Autos - for these, I was hoping for high grade stuff. Everything was purchased in a blue flip online, so it was hard to tell about condition. Decently happy about these. I'll have an upgrade for Hawerchuk soon and will eventually have to upgrade the Park. Others, happy. (2) 1961 Parkhurst autos. Just wanted to cross these for the Registry set; didn't really care about grades. I have a really nice Bonin upgrade now, but didn't know I would when I subbed these months ago (PSA really went to the wire with this one...). Happy with the Langlois and Goegan. The Turner is just stupid rare, so I can't really complain about the grade!

NEAR MINT 7 1981 O-Pee-Chee 107 Jari Kurri PSA/DNA Certified - Pop 1, None Higher
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 O-Pee-Chee 105 Grant Fuhr PSA/DNA Certified - Pop 3, None Higher
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1970 Topps 67 Brad Park PSA/DNA Certified
    EXCELLENT 5 1982 O-Pee-Chee 380 Dale Hawerchuk PSA/DNA Certified
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 199 Clark Gillies PSA/DNA Certified - Pop 2, None Higher

FAIR 1.5 1961 Parkhurst 47 Marcel Bonin PSA/DNA Certified
    GOOD+ 2.5 1961 Parkhurst 43 Henri Richard PSA/DNA Certified
    POOR 1 1961 Parkhurst 41 Bob Turner PSA/DNA Certified
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1961 Parkhurst 23 Pete Goegan PSA/DNA Certified
    VERY GOOD 3 1961 Parkhurst 8 Bob Pulford PSA/DNA Certified
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT+ 4.51961 Parkhurst 9 Red Kelly PSA/DNA Certified
    NEAR MINT 7 1961 Parkhurst 37 Albert Langlois PSA/DNA Certified
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Casey.

Your collection is awesome. Just wanted to go back a few - the Glenn Hall card is too cool.

The "Gordy" card is also sweet.

Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Options
    Love the Lundqvist and Bettman. Did you have the business card or ask for one?
  • Options
    Thanks, guys.

I just wrote Bettman a letter and asked. He's been pretty reliable TTM lately.
  • Options
    Got back tonight from the Toronto Sports Card Expo. I have a few cards to share and a bit of a recap.

1) I was impressed by the show. I heard a few guys talk about how it seemed smaller than usual, but I wouldn't have wanted to be there with many more people! Aisles were crowded and it was, at times, difficult to maneuver around folks to get a look at dealer showcases. Lots of collector interest in Canada, for sure!

2) It was super hockey-focused, which was cool for me. I would estimate that 90% or more of cards were hockey, with a mix of baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and non-sports taking up the remainder. It had a fairly even division of modern and vintage and was represented by a number of major vintage card dealers that I had purchased from on eBay in the past (Gerry's, Martin Sports Cards, KSKM, etc.).

3) I went in with a very narrow range of cards that I was interested in (rare autoed cards, a couple of vintage cards, a couple of specfic Young Guns). The rest of my time was spent browsing. I made a few purchases:

1957 Parkhurst Frank Mahovlich RC (more on this later)
    1957 Parkhurst Henri Richard RC (I am going to TTM this - wish me luck!)
    1955 Parkhurst Dick Duff signed RC ($20, seller didn't really know what he had, despite being a mainstream full-time dealer)
    1961 Parkhurst Andre Pronovost (raw mid-grade, in case there's ever another signing)
    Young Guns of: Halak, Callahan (maybe get these signed someday)

4) Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwiches, FTW. I had not had one before, somehow. A+.

5) There were a bunch of signings over the course of the weekend, mostly run by AJs Sports. This was really the only negative part of the experience. Lines were really long. If I was going to go again, I would have pre-ordered more signing tickets to get closer to the front of the line. Mahovlich, for reasons unknown, ran over 3 hours late for his appearance, so I ended up waiting about 5 hours on Saturday morning before I go my first auto.

6) There was some really cool stuff. One dealer (I think Martin) had an entire display box of Gretzky rookies. Probably 30 in there. Really lets you compare differences when you get to see them all side-by-side. I thought about picking up a mid-grade OPC, but couldn't find one I *really* liked. No rush; there will be one someday. I saw some super rare 1955 Quaker Oats cards (Lumley, etc.) and some crazy high grade vintage. Saw my first Vezina RC in person (truly an impressive card) and saw a case with 4 (four!) Crosby RPAs, each of which is easily a 15K card).

7) Almost everyone was really nice and fun to talk to. Not sure if it was the Canadian-part or the hockey fan-part, but we clicked. Good people, good stuff.

OK, a some cards:

Duff RC, steal of the show.

Red Kelly, a pleasure to meet. Very happy that he signed this "Len". I was going to ask him to, but it was his standard at this show. Not sure if that is usual. Think this turned out really well. 1951 Parkhurst RC, upgrade for the HOF RC set:

Johnny Bower RC (1954 Parkhurst). Doing really well for being in his 90s. Was walking around talking to people at the show. Another upgrade:

I also had Bower sign this for my signed 61 Parkhurst set. PSA 7 crackout. I have a signed PSA 4.5, so should upgrade:

As I said, Mahovlich was late. It was what it was, he's a tough signer, so it wasn't like I was going to bail. Got this done for my 61 Parkhurst set. Major upgrade over the beater I had before:

I also got him on this RC. Kind of funny story here. This card is featured in this thread, if you got back a few pages. I originally bought it for him to sign. Then, a few months later, an already signed rookie hit eBay and I grabbed it. So, I sold the card. Well, it ended up grading a PSA 2 with a black auto, so I started to have second thoughts and began thinking about upgrading at the show. Sure enough, I came across my old card! I ended up buying it for about the price I had sold it for after fees, so broke even on the exchange. I am pretty sure that it changed hands another time between when I sold it and re-bought, based on eBay investigation. Guess it was meant to be?

Last, I got this 1982 OPC Hawerchuk RC done. It was a PSA 9 crackout, so I am hoping it will grade that high again and be an upgrade over the one I already have.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Casey ... Congrats on the additions!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Your signed 61 parkie set is freakin' awesome, so good to see you got 2 major upgrades. Add that to the Turner poppage and this was a great week for your set!
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you had fun.

Great show!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. Yes, the show was fun, but I (of course) ended up spending more than I intended. So, I better slow my roll for the month of May to rebalance.

Got this back yesterday. Don Marshall is great TTM, but I didn't have a nice copy of his card signed. A decent card hit eBay a while back and I grabbed it to mail. Turned out solid.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casey - that a great card - I like the design and color.
    Mike
  • Options
    I got some grades back on a small batch of PSA/DNA + grading for the HOF rookies set. I think the grades were fair and mostly on par with how they were graded pre-crackout for signing. (Hall was a 5, Moore a 4, Delvecchio a 6). I was happy with the Malkin, as it was a raw purchase. Toews was a BGS 9.5, but I think it sustained very minor corner damage when being handled for the signing. Ovechkin was raw. I have nothing at PSA right now in a personal submission, but will probably do another small batch of PSA/DNA red flips toward the end of the month; trying to piece these out to prevent them from piling up.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

• Options
    Nice additions, the Delv and Moore cards look great in those slabs!
  • Options
    A few scans today. These are the highlights of the blue-to-red flip PSA/DNA conversion. Thanks again to Ted for running a smooth group sub operation.

imageimage
    imageimage

In case anyone is interested in seeing the collections these were added to:

Post-War HOF Rookie Autographs Registry

1961 Parkhurst Autographs
  • Options
    hockeycrazyhockeycrazy Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Absolutely great cards and always fun to read this thread. One question: How do you prep the new shiny cards to properly accept the sharpie for autographs. It seems "rubbing them up" would be at cross purposes to attaining high red flip grades...
  • Options
    Wow, awesome! Your signed 61 Parkie set has a lot of pop 1, none higher
  • Options

<< <i>One question: How do you prep the new shiny cards to properly accept the sharpie for autographs. It seems "rubbing them up" would be at cross purposes to attaining high red flip grades... >>

Good question. I actually don't prep them at all, for that reason. Usually, they're fine that way if done at signings because they have plenty of time to dry. I think you get more issues TTM, where players quickly toss the card into an envelope to be mailed back, smearing before the ink can dry. I'd be interested in hearing if others do this differently. Clearly, it sometimes works against me (the Toews auto is meh). Not sure if there's a better way to do it.

<< <i>Your signed 61 Parkie set has a lot of pop 1, none higher >>

Thanks! Sure helps that no one else in the world is collecting it!! image
  • Options
    A few cards here today.

1974 Topps Lanny McDonald HOF RC - consignment on SCN. Hoping for an 8; either a 7 or 8 would be a reasonable grade.
    1992 OPC Steve Yzerman - back from monthly blue flip group sub
    1990 OPC Premier Sergei Fedorov - back from monthly blue flip group sub

One thing I like about the cards in blue flips is they are such good examples of the auto of each. The Yzerman is about as nice of an Yzerman as you'll ever see. Certainly done with care when sitting down. The Fedorov is very early; his auto has evolved considerably since this was done. This version goes well with the "Red Army" theme of the card.

imageimage
  • Options
    I love the Federov! I think any "red army" cards are cool
  • Options
    I wanted to add these here for continuity. I think scans of all were posted in this thread. These were part of John's red flip group sub. I had 6 in the "authentic" portion and 56 in the "with grade".

No surprises, which is of course great. I didn't have any reason to worry, but you never know. Abel, Laprade, and Geoffrion are deceased and Bathgate no longer signs. I already have an upgrade for the Red Kelly, as has been posted above, so I'll sell that once the other grades. The Schmidt is useful for the HOF Builders set. I would like to get a 3-4 of that card, but it isn't a huge priority right now. Only other thing to note is that I have never seen another signed Abel rookie or Geoffrion 61 Parkhurst card. There may be more out there, but they are TOUGH. Glad to have them.

36 1 24220807 N0: AUTHENTIC 1953 Parkhurst 56 Andy Bathgate PSA/DNA Certified Card
    37 1 24220808 N0: AUTHENTIC 1951 Parkhurst 64 Sid Abel PSA/DNA Certified Card
    38 1 24220809 N0: AUTHENTIC 1951 Parkhurst 55 Red Kelly PSA/DNA Certified Card
    39 1 24220810 N0: AUTHENTIC 1951 Parkhurst 96 Edgar Laprade PSA/DNA Certified Card
    40 1 24220811 N0: AUTHENTIC 1951 Parkhurst 29 Milt Schmidt PSA/DNA Certified Card
    41 1 24220812 N0: AUTHENTIC 1961 Parkhurst 35 Boom Boom Geoffrion PSA/DNA Certified Card

I also had a bunch of blue flips for the PC done in Derrick's recent group sub. I really couldn't speak highly enough of it: quick communication, updates, speedy return shipping, quality product, fine results. Oh, and the best prices on PSA/DNA encapsulation publicly available. I sent in a large batch this Spring and will do so again should it run in the Fall. I won't share scans of all of the results, but did pick out a few that I liked.

imageimage
    imageimage

• Options
    Love the look of the Champs cards, reminds me of Allen & Ginter baseball. This is one of the best threads on CU.
  • Options
    Very happy with this one.

Picked the card up at the Toronto Expo at the beginning of the month. It is a very tough card to find in any condition and fairly expensive even in super low grade. In my opinion, this one screams TTM - great eye appeal, despite low technical grade. Back is totally clean. Nicely worn with some corner issues the only major downgrade. No creases and great color.

Henri is a HOFer and this is his 1957 Parkhurst rookie card.

Obviously, his health is declining. I believe that he has dementia and has been struggling with it for some time. Despite that, he is still a gracious signer TTM and very quick to reply. He even returned the money that I enclosed with my letter. The autograph is shaky, but I don't care - this was pretty much my one and only chance to get him and I decided that I needed to take the opportunity.

Very few living HOFers remain on my list: Pulford, Armstrong, Ratelle, Orr, Dryden, Robinson, Lemieux, Niedermayer, Sundin, Granato.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very nice card. One of the best hockey images of all time IMO.

I missed out on a beauty low grade example a few years ago that had some surface wrinkles you could barely see. It looked like a 6 and was in a 2 slab. Still kicking myself for not paying what needed to be paid to acquire it.

Those old timer sigs bring me down though but I would have sent it TTM as well, he touched it.
  • Options
    1982 OPC Joe Mullen HOF RC - private signing

Slow but steady upgrades, I hope. This was a PSA 9 crackout; pretty mint throughout with a nice chunk of pack-fresh rough cut. Not too surprising as 1982 OPC are easy to find in good condition, but they can be a little tricky to find nicely centered, which this one is.

• Options
    Joe Mullen has a great signature.

Have you considered adding Bruce Boudreau? Likely candidate for HOF many years from now (especially if the Ducks win a Cup)....and any opportunity to get a signature on a 1979 OPC card, I think, is worth it!
  • Options
    I will have to look into Boudreau. He's probably on the outside looking in now, but that could change if the Ducks can win 5 more games here. We'll see.

I grabbed this signed Brett Hull XRC the other day. I've always liked it and was able to get it at a good price, so why not? It's got a pretty funny back.

imageimage
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I grabbed this signed Brett Hull XRC the other day. I've always liked it and was able to get it at a good price, so why not? It's got a pretty funny back. >>

That Hull is awesome, so many bizarre things about it (looks stoned on the front inset pic, last sentence of the description on the back, and the manufacturer logo)!
  • Options
    I've always loved that Hull pre rookie, the look on his face as he's coming around the net is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I grabbed this signed Brett Hull XRC the other day. I've always liked it and was able to get it at a good price, so why not? It's got a pretty funny back. >>

That Hull is awesome, so many bizarre things about it (looks stoned on the front inset pic, last sentence of the description on the back, and the manufacturer logo)! >>

Incredible!
  • Options
    Just in time for the Stanley Cup Finals. This young guy is already an absolute lock for the HOF. The thin gold auto looks fantastic in hand and the scan really doesn't do it justice.

• Options
    I bought this one earlier this week. I already had a couple of signed Gadsby's but none that met this one's combination of grade, eye appeal, and cool factor. The inscription is really nice and does make the card unique. Even better, the card was already in a PSA/DNA red flip, so I could add it to my registry set immediately. Slow but steady progress on this one! Shows you never know what will come available in the market.

• Options
    Geez in what year was Gadsby considered a top 100 player of all time! Very cool inscription nonetheless but can't imagine he would make the top 200 if that book was written today.
  • Options

<< <i>Geez in what year was Gadsby considered a top 100 player of all time! Very cool inscription nonetheless but can't imagine he would make the top 200 if that book was written today. >>

1997? #99, but count it! Plenty of room for debate about that list, for sure.
  • Options
    Got my cards back from the authentic portion of the red flip PSA/DNA sub. One other reason I like red over blue is they use the nice regular graded card holders that can fit cards of more sizes without using the mylar sleeve. Happy with how these turned out and hopefully we'll get the results from the graded portion sometime this week.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Wow, those 51's look really great in slabs! I have a 1933 baseball card that's the same size and when it's in those customized holders with a snug fit, the cards look just AWESOME! Red Kelly has a nice bold sig and I never noticed Abel's nickname on this card, "Bootnose." Great stuff!
  • Options
    1984 O-Pee-Chee #327 Cam Neely HOF RC. Back from a signing at the Fanatic Authentics show in Boston.

This card looks a bit nicer than the PSA 7 I have now. It was an 8.5 crackout and I could see it grading 8, 8.5, or 9. In any event, it's nicely centered and has a clean auto and HOF inscription. Happy with the outcome.

• Options
    1985 Topps Mario Lemieux HOF RC.

I bought this one on Facebook! That was a first for me. Transaction went completely smoothly and I cracked it out of its previous KSA holder and put it into the pile for the next batch of PSA/DNA authentication. I have an 85 OPC PSA 8 that has been waiting for his next signing, but there is nothing on the horizon. The price was fantastic on this, so I figured it can be a holder and then small flip when I get the better card done. The card is in reasonable shape - I would expect a 6 or possibly 7 from PSA.