Home Precious Metals
Options

Bitcoins....

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would any readers prefer 3 ounces of gold to one bitcoin ? Or would you endeavor into the crypto world now ?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will stick with gold.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

8 months ago, it was "1 oz of gold, or 1 BTC?"
    4 months ago, it was "2 oz of gold, or 1 BTC?"
    Today, it is "3 oz of gold, or 1 BTC?

4 months from now, who knows.

Successful transactions with Schmitz7, Bigbuck1975, chumley, CCHunter, Smittys, Gerard, Tookybandit, MorganMan94, LogPotato, coinlieutenant, GoldCoin98, pcgs69, Kccoin, ajaan, JBN, BLee23,....

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why does it seem like video game money?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't touch it. Gold or silver, please. :)

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

LiteCoin for me...

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just crossed $4000!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange things are happening.

Some may consider the Bitcoin/cryptocurrency activity to be frivolous, and it in some guise may turn out to be. But this is people's savings in search of substance: is it surging stocks? Is it real estate (again)? Is it PMs (eternally waiting for the hyperinflation)? Is it putting it in a sock under your mattress (or in a bank account--same thing)? Is it just tripping through the tulips, letting your kids/grandkids just take what comes?

Where's the wisdom here?

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

I just can't feel sorry for people when their bitcoin bubble pops.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting for a crypto currency to be pegged to Gold or Silver.
    Good luck in the wild West.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

@dpoole said:
    Strange things are happening.

Some may consider the Bitcoin/cryptocurrency activity to be frivolous, and it in some guise may turn out to be. But this is people's savings in search of substance: is it surging stocks? Is it real estate (again)? Is it PMs (eternally waiting for the hyperinflation)? Is it putting it in a sock under your mattress (or in a bank account--same thing)? Is it just tripping through the tulips, letting your kids/grandkids just take what comes?

Where's the wisdom here?

The float is tiny. Don't confuse price for value.

• Options

$4108

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-13/us-launches-quiet-crackdown-cryptocurrencies

I know this source is not always reliable, but this is interesting. Bitcoin is on a tear...and who know some why. Are illegal funds (laundering, drug dealers, tax dodgers or thieves) being used to fund this epic rally?

Either way, i don't think the banking and national powers like cryptos very much. I'm sure the 300%+ rally is gettig he attention of the government, IRS and legislators. Will be interesting to see what happens to it in the near future.

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't stomach the voilality of Bitcoin but it has become extremely popular on Instagram with a lot of people buying and selling. I actually put in $500 when it was around $2,500 less than 2 months ago and with the Bitcoin cash fork I am up almost 80% already. It is bound to crash at some point but what point? It is hard to want to get out when day after day it is up $100+. I just put a little play money in but I could not see this being an investment that I relied upon.

• Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭

as i mentioned to the old timers here earlier this year, when bitcoin was at 1,300, bitcoin is the younger generation's gold and silver. They want an alternative to dollars, stocks, etc and another store of value, and bitcoin appeals to them. It also appeals to many others who live and understand the digital age. By the time most of the people here finally get around to stop laughing at bitcoin, dismissing it, etc, it will be much, much higher and owned by a much higher percentage of the population. Its really probably pointless talking about it on a precious metal site where 99% of the people who post here dont care about making money or putting their money in alternative stores of value, but only like gold and silver. Only invest in precious metals what you can afford to lose. Same applies to bitcoin.

• Options

$4224.

• Options
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

@MorganMan94 said:
    It is hard to want to get out when day after day it is up $100+.

It will be even harder to get out (read: find buyers) when it is dropping $500+ a day on the impending quick downturn.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

@Pokermandude said:

@MorganMan94 said:
    It is hard to want to get out when day after day it is up $100+.

It will be even harder to get out (read: find buyers) when it is dropping $500+ a day on the impending quick downturn.

Hence why I only have $500 into it and no intentions of putting more in. If I make a little money great, if I lose it oh well.

• Options

So if I go buy a good powerful computer, then let it run some program, then I can create my own bitcoins?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will trade one bitcoin for 3.5 ounces of gold. Hurry , while supplies last.

• Options

@Natchez14 said:

8 months ago, it was "1 oz of gold, or 1 BTC?"
    4 months ago, it was "2 oz of gold, or 1 BTC?"
    Today, it is "3 oz of gold, or 1 BTC?

4 months from now, who knows.

3 days later, it's 3.5 oz of gold.....

Successful transactions with Schmitz7, Bigbuck1975, chumley, CCHunter, Smittys, Gerard, Tookybandit, MorganMan94, LogPotato, coinlieutenant, GoldCoin98, pcgs69, Kccoin, ajaan, JBN, BLee23,....

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need a bitcoin forum.

BTW, why do those who accept it as payment charge a 2% fee?

• Options

It's down $200 since yesterday! Ouch! :#

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:
    We need a bitcoin forum.

BTW, why do those who accept it as payment charge a 2% fee?

I am not sure why, to buy/sell using it through Bittrex the fee is around 1/10%

• Options

Is it true that these crypto currencies can be created via a computer running a program?

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Is it true that these crypto currencies can be created via a computer running a program?

Yes, but the processing power and the time that is needed would result in a break even (at best) and a net loss for most people. (when you factor in your time, equipment cost, electricity, etc...)
    Some miners have 2000 + square foot facility's with wall to wall servers doing nothing but mining. It would take a large investment to get started, and who's knows how long this train will keep going in the positive direction.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

@BruceS said:

@cohodk said:

Yes, but the processing power and the time that is needed would result in a break even (at best) and a net loss for most people. (when you factor in your time, equipment cost, electricity, etc...)
    Some miners have 2000 + square foot facility's with wall to wall servers doing nothing but mining. It would take a large investment to get started, and who's knows how long this train will keep going in the positive direction.

I'm still waiting for the train to crash.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

crypto currencies are a threat to fiat. The fiat masters will find ways to discourage their acceptance and their use. Don't be holding when the hammer drops.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

It was rumored to hit 5K a few years back. I treated it like silver to the moon stories. I was mining at the time and had a couple dozen btc. It was crashing then from $800 and I felt lucky to convert to bullion at $650 for a 3x profit as I watched it fall to $3??. I was also pleasantly surprised how much the mining equipment resold for. I guess they got the last laugh on that because that equipment was just above break even to run(electric cost / BTC value). But do a 12x to BTC value and that miner would of done 70k profit in those years. I'm bumming myself out here. Still had fun, learned, made $, and set a baseline for my max PV system side.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options

@BruceS said:

@cohodk said:

Given that technological efficiency improves exponentially over time, the cost to produce a crypto currency will also decrease. Eventually, anyone will be able to create them, thus rendering them valueless.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@BruceS said:

@cohodk said:

Given that technological efficiency improves exponentially over time, the cost to produce a crypto currency will also decrease. Eventually, anyone will be able to create them, thus rendering them valueless.

You would think so, but not true in this case. They are getting More difficult to mine as time goes on. Go to Wiki and read a little about mining them, your head will hurt after an hour or so of reading how the block chain works.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2017 5:03PM

@Wabbit2313 I see you disagreed with my post stating the Bitcoin fee rate, if it isn't correct then what is?

• Options

Got in on some GBTC @ $215 in mid May. Just closed @ $733. Only play for bitcoin on the exchanges that I have been able to find.

• Options

$4450.

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2017 12:40PM

So I opened up a coinbase account as I wanted to buy some bitcoin. They charge a 1.5% fee as commission. Ouch!! I looked into the GBTC as I could buy that on Fidelity for a flat $4.99 fee but that trades at like a 70% premium to a bitcoin. Bitcoin realtime is $4294, GBTC is $729.70 (1/10 of a bitcoin)

Then there is taxes. Bitcoin is taxed as property. you must calculate a gain/loss on every transaction
    How are the IRS treating Bitcoins?

The IRS has recently given guidance on the specific treatment of Bitcoins and other crypto-currencies, which has helped clarified the situation.

Bitcoin is a personal property, not a currency, and so is taxed as a capital asset
    Gains made from converting Bitcoins into a fiat currency are subject to capital gains tax
    Purchases of goods or services with Bitcoins must also account for gains
    Bitcoins and other alt-coins obtained from mining is recognised income immediately at their fair value
    Mining equipment can still be deducted as a legitimate business expense

• Options

The main thing in this bubble bitons in time to leave the auction and withdraw your investment back, so as not to lose all your savings.

• Options

Crytocurrency: Its Status As Money

"For now, the development of this bubble is in the hands of a speculating public, who periodically see manias as a failsafe way to make money. But the answer to the question posed in this article’s headline is that cryptocurrencies are not money and never will be."

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Cryptos are a currency. It's gonna be so much bigger than anyone can predict, take that to the bank. When 3% of the world's population catch on it will be insane. Then probably a few decades from now when all the fiat has been used for toilet paper you'll remember this post and say "yep, them there young whippersnappers were right. The way we do stuff changed, just like it always has........and will."

Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it fake, or Ponzi, or bound to fail (like all fiat has in the past), or whatever.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2017 5:29PM

@AllCoinsRule said:
    What happens if governments declare bitcoins illegal, and via the rule of law force you to use their currency (whether fiat or crypto)?

A bit of stretch for them but they can take steps to make its use is undesirable (i.e taxes, reporting requirements, etc.). Besides, if they can blow up a few Iranian centrifuges with software, surely they can blow up something that exists only in the digital world.

The future of all the cryptos will be dictated by the success or failure in its acceptance for payment. This is what will determine if it is in fact money - users determine what is money. As its role as money grows, so does its threat to "protect at all costs" funny money.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2017 8:23AM

The problem with crypto currencies is crypto currencies.

Is all this attention to crypto currencies the mechanism themselves, or that they have become a trading vehicle? IE..if bitcoin was still $100, would anyone be talking about it?

• Options

@cohodk said:
    The problem with crypto currencies is crypto currencies.

Is all this attention to crypto currencies the mechanism themselves, or that they have become a trading vehicle? IE..if bitcoin was still $100, would anyone be talking about it?

bitmania, a good example of what speculators can do.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Crypto is currency?, lol sounds like a Hans Christian Anderson story...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

_ It also appeals to many others who live and understand the digital age. _

I understand the digital age, and I would venture to say that most everyone on this forum does as well.

What I don't understand is the lack of understanding of money so rampant in our society.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

two parties conducting a financial transaction determine what is money.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2017 5:17PM

Cryptocurrencies: Modern Day Alchemy

"However well intentioned, in the end, the creators of cryptocurrencies are really just modern day alchemists; and what they ended creating is nothing more than fool’s gold."

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pineapples = $3.25

• Options

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

JM Bullion accepts BC, for a fee :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

This discussion has been closed.