Home Precious Metals
Options

Bitcoins....

Comments

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@bigjpst said:
    So what happens when you get the 1099 for all these transactions?

You remind yourself that the IRS got a copy of the same 1099

I was thinking there would be a few expletives involved when all the so called untaxable and untraceable come to light.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018 7:39AM

@bigjpst said:
    So what happens when you get the 1099 for all these transactions?

You claim your income , and pay the tax. Simple enough.
    All transactions are trackable. A guy came into the coin shop the other day who bought 3 bitcoin in the early days and used the profits to buy 2 houses. He said the taxes ate a big chunk of his "profits".

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way crypto currency is performing these days, many more people will be declaring capital losses instead of capital gains

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Marshall Islands is issuing its own cryptocurrency, replacing the U.S. dollar it was using up to now. Should be interesting to see how it works out.

Link

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    The way crypto currency is performing these days, many more people will be declaring capital losses instead of capital gains

Not if they hang on and ride it out. Only time will tell.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2018 6:15PM

I project a crypto blockchain rebound. Watching BLKCF for an entry.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

It's going to rebound, though not as dramatically. Corrections are good and help the foundation. This decentralized application software is going to be a common part of life. I'm sticking with many of the top ten with a few top 20. Tron, Steem, Ripple, Neo, Eos, Eth, Btc. Most are solid protocols and which few will pull ahead is unknown. Some are just easy to track and trade. I do research what they are. STEEM for example is gamer social media related where content creators earn money (short description) and its a fully working blockchain with plenty of creators moving from Youtube and its Ad-pay system.

I know its totally Greek to read and learn but stick with it and study a little daily. It took a while to have the Ah-ha moment. Binance easily allows one to get a dog in the fight. I buy SLL via Pp through VirWox, convert to BTC (at a big hit) then move to my Jaxx wallet and it's yours to win or lose. PM if you have questions.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2018 6:16PM

Forget crypto currency, crypto blockchain will become the new way of conducting transactions. Find an easily tradeable shirt tail and get ready to ride. It's the next "internet."

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds more like "flavor-of-the-month."

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    I project a crypto blockchain rebound. Watching BLKCF for an entry.

I bought BLKCF and a few others about 3 months ago, plan to let them sit in my account for a few years and see what happens. Right now prices of the blockchain stocks appear to be unduly influenced by cryptocurrency prices. Hopefully this will change.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

I believe blockchain's potential role outside of cryptocurrencies is where its future lies.

• Options

Was watching some bitcoin chat on the block explorer and saw a few large non pool transaction going by (2000+). Yep, seen that before, someone selling off, so I converted to USD and watched the red flow as the market did it's dip. Fine with me because I've just upgrade the Frankin Miner to V4.0. Six cards (AMD 580's) doing 168M hash @ 540W/hr (making $7/day). Folks are jumping ship and I've grabbed another five cards cheap. I'm building and firing that miner up tomorrow.

There is a new miner type coming on scene and I've put in to get one or two. FPGA miners are 10-100x the computational power and have the same electrical draw as a regular GPU. (Of which I'll soon be running eleven) Only problem is they are $4k each. So I'll be thinning the box of 20 down some.

Frankin Miner v4

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

He who has the most shovels wins?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had heard some of the early FPGAs were being repurposed for different algorithms, right on 66Tbird... Have you given any thought to ASICs?

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

@LukeMarshall said:
    I had heard some of the early FPGAs were being repurposed for different algorithms, right on 66Tbird... Have you given any thought to ASICs?

My first miner was an ASIC in 2013 and though I made money the resale of the equipment was in question because once its unproductive it's a paper weight.. Luckily I found a buyer and in the end the whole experience was a one year 3X ROI. To bad I didn't keep the bitcoin because of last January it would of been a 50x ROI.

I researched current options and having the ability to acquire and liquidate hardware piecemeal the GPU side fit my power requirement nicely. If mining becomes nonprofitable (long way for me because my solar extra is 4000kwh/year) then I can use these rigs for out sourcing commercial video rendering.

I'm also mining in a hot garage and with the GPUs I can easily and remotely tune then down to prevent overheating. It's a satisfying challenge to get up and running smoothly. The FPGA thing is a whole new game. I'm ready for it.

• Options

"Have fun with your coins." I swear I read it here, first.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, good luck to you 66Tbird, you got it!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC, I read an article about a month ago advising to look for a triple bottom on bitcoin, around $6,500, to be tested before the next leg up. Well, here we are....

I speculated in bitcoin from last June to December. I've been out since. Looking forward, I can see the advantages of blockchain, not to sure about the 'stocks' or 'coins' though.

• Options

I'm having trouble believing I was able to purchase a FPGA fully modded miner (BCU1525). Not only did I get one offered to us little miners but I got it for 2/3's the current price. Seems it was a promotion to keep a portion of them out of the big boys hands. They are programmable and insanely fast with documented specs of $100/day returns and the ability to hash different cryptos all with only the power requirements of a normal GPU (of which I now have nine going full steam at 1100 watts and $10/day) Had to sell 3 oz of gold to swing it and don't regret it at all. I'm not going to miss this boat like I did twice before. It's the same feeling I had with the 01 Buff sets and the 06 RP ASE sets.

It was a pre-sale so in hand will be 8 weeks while the developers finalize the cooling modifications and coding. So I've got time to study.

• Options
    edited June 22, 2018 6:18AM

Hey Amos, you know that gold you've saved up. Well, I'm having a sale on shovels. You could trade me that gold for 10 shovels and you'll find 10x more gold. I'll even throw in 3 picks and this here mule to help you carry out your fortune.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:
    IIRC, I read an article about a month ago advising to look for a triple bottom on bitcoin, around $6,500, to be tested before the next leg up. Well, here we are....

I speculated in bitcoin from last June to December. I've been out since. Looking forward, I can see the advantages of blockchain, not to sure about the 'stocks' or 'coins' though.

Bidcoin is currently hovering at around $6,209 – down about 68% from the 2018 high of $19,783 set in January

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the coolest threads I've read in a long time. Darnedest thing I ever did see!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

Exactly, go get some shovels and go mine something real. 6,000+ years real anyway with the Au. The 010101 digits are down in the $5ks now and quickly headed for $0.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

Exactly, go get some shovels and go mine something real. 6,000+ years real anyway with the Au. The 010101 digits are down in the $5ks now and quickly headed for $0.

I believed that twice and paid the price. I'm not bailing on Bitcoin (crypto) again. Plus it's a challenge to mine well. It's the computer equivalent to high power model rocketry. To go big returns on your own you need everything in place before hitting go. When it finally works it's something I really dig.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2018 6:29PM

@66Tbird said:

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

I believed that twice and paid the price. I'm not bailing on Bitcoin (crypto) again. Plus it's a challenge to mine well. It's the computer equivalent to high power model rocketry. To go big returns on your own you need everything in place before hitting go. When it finally works it's something I really dig.

What was that little 3 word phrase I had in my sig line?

Lets work your numbers a bit You are going to dump $4000 of an appreciating (usually, maybe ;)) asset-gold- and buy $4000 worth of a depreciating asset--computer parts, in the hopes of making $10/day (of something that might be worthless)--maybe $7/day at todays prices?. I believe you said you were on a solar array and were using excess capacity to mine. How much extra capacity could you sell back to the electric grid? Couldnt you make money without going through all this? I understand the novelty, and appreciate your ambition, but does this really make economic sense?

I know the answer to this question, but I ask you...how many bitcoins are being mined today, vs a year ago, vs 5 years ago? I hope you understand why I ask this, if not, then ask me.

• Options
    edited July 3, 2018 7:31PM

Sure, the numbers, love them. Yep, I have dumped gold for hardware and minded to date exactly 18% of the accumulated hardware cost in 5 months. Recall I started at one rig of spare parts doing under 30Mhs (megahash) and have now upgrade to two full current generation motherboards (gen 7 intel, ddr4, ssd, m.2, etc..) 9 AMD-RX580 cards purchased below retail ($247 each average), PSU's with 5 year warranties. So that hard ware will be useful for at least four more years. If I had to sell I'd break even on those acquisition cost. That total is about 3k. I'm mining either Ethereum or Ethereum Classic (ETH, ETC) which ever is the most profitable. Current hashing power is 270 megahash or $285/month on ETH and $277 on ETC.

Yes I have a big PV system and generate 100kwh/day summer and 65 winter. My home uses 60kwh/day summer and 25/day winter. My utility company pays me 20% of current power cost up to 10% of my usage. Hypothetical simplification, If I used 1000kwh in power yet made 1500kwh in solar they would only pay me 20% of 100kwh and keep the rest (400kwh). In my case I left 9000kwh on the table last year.

My current mining operation runs at 1200 watt, or 1.2kw/hour. That's 28.8kw/day, or 10512kwh/year. Current power cost in my area for that much power is $1261.

Stepping forward into gpu mining because of its flexibility is what I should of done years ago when cards were cheaper. It's not as profitable as it used to be for most small mine owners because power cost can eat 30% of the profit. It's still profitable to mine but the ''difficulty'' (how hard the miner works for a reward) increases as the amount of miners increases. That's where the flexibility to mine different algorithms is a game changer.

Having said that the new hardware in the mining arena is the FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) . This equipment has the flexibility to be programmed yet the speed of an ASIC (Algorithm Specific Integrated Circuit). FPGA's are not new tech having been in the robotics field for decades. But using a very modern high tech unit as a miner is. Reported hash rates for the custom water cooled model I just spent 4k on are in the neighborhood of 12-17 Gigahash (1000mhs = 1Ghs) and the power requirements are equal to a single GPU.

I'm also buying (for $199) two FPGA add-on booster card that will double my current hash rate. I'm expecting at least 10 Gigahash of computing power total via re-programmable units that can change the best to mine algorithms on the fly.

These two different cards are very early in software development and there is going to be a lot of improvements in short order.
    From an investment vehicle point of view this is more aggressive than gold which hasn't moved much in a while. It's not my rent money and I can afford to lose it. If I would of kept all the BTC I've ever mined I'd have millions of dollars. But I got nervous and bailed early twice not knowing exactly what the blockchain is. Now I know and see where its going and why. I'll play the trade game and take my chances on a good multiplier but I'm also going to keep mining because my power is cheap and I enjoy it. The tech is here to stay.

Edit to correct a hash power improvement. The big FPGA will only be a 10 to 17x improvement over a single GPU without the power requirement.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

yikes!

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited June 28, 2018 5:11PM

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy..................

https://deadcoins.com/

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bitcoin and GBTC had a nice 10% pop today ($7,360/$11.49). ?

• Options

Who is taking bitcoin for products and vice versa ?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

So yesterday I second mortgage the house and put it all into bitcoin . I'm gonna be rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

• Options
  • Options

How's the mining going Tbird? Is it becoming more difficult or taking longer to mine a coin?

• Options

@cohodk said:
    How's the mining going Tbird? Is it becoming more difficult or taking longer to mine a coin?

It's going good. Brings in about $180-210 a month and I usually covert it into something else pretty quick. I'll admit things have been down on the gains side but the steady supply of mined coin keeps me about even. The FPGA minor equipment was delayed a month. Which is fine because those need cold weather to run full steam. At least I know how I'll heat the house this winter.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2018 5:25PM

@grote15 said:

@guitarwes said:
    bitcoin is dying (again...for the 200th time). sell everything, quick. the sky is falling.

66Tbird, my buddy is cranking out BitcoinCash with his 3- S9 miners. VERY profitable the last week.
    ETH has rebound nicely also. I bought the dip at $375. Bought the Bitcoin dip at $6750.
    Litecoin is strapping on rocket boosters as I type. Gonna be a good year.

By good year, did you mean a bloodbath?

Etherium and Litecoin, huh?
    Time for an update, where is guitarwes?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 5:48AM

Time for an update, where is guitarwes?

He was waiting for the Easter Bunny. I hope he hasn't suffered the same fate as Proocfcollection who was quite vocal of his hold trading acumen several years ago.

• Options

Definitely rough times in the mining community. At least it's easier to make coins and buy equipment for cheap. When it turns around again I'll be ready. Free power is my savior.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I'm good here. Been trying to get my shop and CNC business set up and organized the last several months and my silver coins and Bitcoins have been put on hold. Yeah, the market is down. Bummer. Lots of big player trading and fake FUD news going on that swings it hard. Euphoric up and nauseating downs. The only thing I've been doing is trading the ups and downs and have turned 0.1 Bitcoin bought at $5800 ($580 worth at the time) into 0.5 Bitcoin with the swings. Still have high ambitions for Bitcoin and blockchain. Heck, this time 20 years ago Amazon was selling paperback books. Do people even buy or read books anymore?

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

" Do people even buy or read books anymore?"

Yes.

----- kj
  • Options

I'm converting most of my holding into XRP (Ripple). Last list I saw had 20+ banks and nations either using it or implementing it shortly. Nothing else is even close
    Powered the miners down while I build extra power credits and reconfigure the rigs to use the fpga hardware for a 3x output increase and a 40% power decrease
    My summer was crazy hot with my AC unit running near 450 hours per month. Totally shot my usage plan down.

• Options

Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...

• Options

It's a blood bath alright. I've fired my miners back up and just eat the power loss. Still cheaper than buying the coin. I moved 90% of my holding into ripple and stellarlumens weeks ago and I'm relieved.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2018 11:54AM

At what point is it worth it to buy back in a limited position? Or has the bottom fallen out completely?

What happened to guitarwes?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

It's a blood bath alright. I've fired my miners back up and just eat the power loss. Still cheaper than buying the coin. I moved 90% of my holding into ripple and stellarlumens weeks ago and I'm relieved.

• Options

@djr said:

@cohodk said:

@djr said:
    sell btc

Here comes Peter Cottontail,
    Hoppin' down the bunny trail,
    Hippity, hoppity,
    Easter's on its way.

Hop hop hop...chop chop chop! BTC is still a strong sell. Feel the pain!

I think someone made hasenpfeffer.

• Options

stick a fork in bitcoin, it's done.

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    stick a fork in bitcoin, it's done.

This should surprise just about no one.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    I see you are active on the Bitcoin forum, bluespaceant. So how much have you lost?

Enough to edit/ delete all his posts and slink away forever?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

This discussion has been closed.