Home Precious Metals
Options

Bitcoins....

Comments

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

@chesterb said:
    I invest a little just enough to wet my whistle. It's a small diversification in case it becomes a standard.

Awesome, my miners are now ROI'ing and I convert the junk coins to BTC when the ratios are right. It's up 10+% in three days.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 8:03AM

@66Tbird said: It's up 10+% in three days

But with the exception of the last 3 days no one who has bought bitcoin over the last 6 months is showing a profit.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

But with the exception of the last 3 days no one who has bought bitcoin over the last 6 months is showing a profit.

Not necessarily true. I buy on the lows. With Bitcoin's volatility, you want to make sure you buy when it's down. At today's price, I'm up on the Bitcoin I purchased over the last 3 months.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

@cohodk said:

Not necessarily true. I buy on the lows. With Bitcoin's volatility, you want to make sure you buy when it's down. At today's price, I'm up on the Bitcoin I purchased over the last 3 months.

What i wrote is absolutely true.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was filling up the car on Thanksgiving and the little video on the pump was advertising the new kiosk inside the station where you can cash in or buy bitcoin. Was a Terrible Herbst in Las Vegas.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigjpst said:
    I was filling up the car on Thanksgiving and the little video on the pump was advertising the new kiosk inside the station where you can cash in or buy bitcoin. Was a Terrible Herbst in Las Vegas.

Yep I just checked the local coinstar for silver, tray was empty but did see a message that you could buy bitcoins right there at the kiosk. I still believe it will ultimately go to $0. Crazy world.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

I don't mind the volitivity. Its money I can lose is how it started. When it's down I buy some BTC and when it's up I sell a percent or two into a lagging coin. When that coin flips then sell back into BTC. It just seems to work out. The gains aren't super big.

• Options

Dragging this to the top because I really hope some of you jumped on board. It's another great ride this year.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 3:03PM

Have been diverting all my ebay West Point National Park quarter profits in paypal to BC now that my paypal account offers it. 1.5% comm. ea. way with trades over $1K.

Snagged a couple of B-coins with my Robinhood account a week ago.

Paypal has turned cryptos into a currency

"PayPal becomes an unregulated savings bank essentially." Wonder how long before the regulators step in?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Thank you for the reminder about Pp. I'd totally forgot they are doing that now.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 7:25PM

I've invested in XRP before blowout just because I always thought if there's any Crypto that's going to be adopted by mainstream- probably xrp bc they have swum above water, and have treaded to establish that "ripple" in our wake. Whatever that means? Nothing really, just a lot of FOMO people's helping the cause. :p

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took a ride on crypto currency a couple of years ago for the novelty, and also for the promise of a medium of exchange more cleanly reflecting supply/demand. I wasn't necessarily misunderstanding the dangers of any disruption, but I was fascinated.

I still am, but I'm lying low and watching now. The impact of the disruption remains as uncertain as it was then.

• Options

I'm glad I bought more earlier this year! It's up 4x since then!

• Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Only 4x? thats a bit weak :p My TSLA stock is up over 10x in the last year. Since that Tesla $1,000 thread, TSLA has now almost tripled with another ATH today. I do own btc too and mentioned it in that thread, I've made a bunch with my bitcoins too this year. There was a clear buy signal back in January for btc for anyone paying attention where I added significantly. Most don't understand or appreciate it but people are free to think whatever.

Bitcoin still hasn't been getting much attention relatively compared to years before. New mkt cap peaks, it just set a #2 highest history ever, halving, huge volume spikes through the exchange paypal uses, etc. Tulips didn't keep re-inflating repeatedly higher, bear/bull cycles are always in play with things. btc clearly shifted last year from a major bear to bull cycle.

I expect next year to be more interesting for btc than this year. Guess I should go find that tesla $1,000 thread to bump :p

• Options

TSLA has been amazing. My investopedia account (Investment simulator) I've been working on for ten years is near 25M. Yeah, that's millions and it's been mostly TSLA and popup solar stuff. In/out- low/hi- repeat, just watching the industry and graphs. At least with btc and the alts I got a real foot in the door.

• Options

• Options
    edited November 25, 2020 8:56PM

@derryb said:
    Tesla? Pure speculation, the product speaks for itself

One anecdotal example that in the whole is irrelevant with a recall applied to a minority of cars to address. Doesn't affect the fact they're profitable with sizable margins while still expanding like crazy with increasing orders and backlogs. Routinely highest customer satisfaction of all brands practically every year including 2020 besides topping safety in so many ways. Tesla's biggest problem is keeping up with the demand/expansion as the product screams how incredible it is, multi-month backlogs are typical.

Tesla rollover fail:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=L24xzJkCGdk

There's always going to be naysayers out there, best to separate fact from fiction. Its in a growth phase and the market will evaluate it primarily on that metric. We can re-examine in 5-10yrs how things worked out, just like that guy in the Apple overpriced $500 thread 5+ yrs ago(AAPL is north of several thousand now with the multiple splits where I noted Apple was a good value then)

• Options

EZ come EZ go?

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's $3000 to the deep pocket Bitcoin holders? I would guess many are thankful this morning that they spent their Bitcoin yesterday and didn't receive one as payment for a large ticket item.

• Options

buy the dip

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass the gravy.

• Options

This one looks better

• Options
    edited December 5, 2020 4:48PM

As with all currency, bitcoin's value comes only and directly from peoples' willingness to accept it as a form of payment. The lack of strong growth in merchant acceptability of bitcoin tells me that the current climb to a price of $19K is and has always been purely speculator driven. Question is "will the speculators continue to drive the price up or or will they realize that added value can only be derived by willingness to accept it as a form of payment?"

I'm in the "speculators don't think that hard" camp (they alone are responsible for its climb from $0) and will continue my bitcoin play, at least for a while.

There are those that claim it has intrinsic value at least equal to what was spent to mine it. I argue that if I spend $100k to dig up a lump of coal, it's still only has the value of a lump of coal, regardless of how much equipment I leased to retrieve it.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a little. It's an expensive piggy bank needing electricity , in my opinion. Time will tell.

• Options

@derryb said:
    As with all currency, bitcoin's value comes only and directly from peoples' willingness to accept it as a form of payment. The lack of strong growth in merchant acceptability of bitcoin tells me that the current climb to a price of $19K is and has always been purely speculator driven.

One of the reasons transacting in actual bitcoin has not become popular:

• Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2020 9:40AM

Some talking heads believe bitcoin will hit $300,000. The $7 per transaction is too high and needs to be lowered for it really to kick in as a transaction vehicle.
    Bitcoin is also helping keep gold down. imo

• Options
    edited December 7, 2020 11:14AM

@TPGS said:
    Some talking heads believe bitcoin will hit $300,000. The $7 per transaction is too high and needs to be lowered for it really to kick in as a transaction vehicle.

agree. Speculators are looking for alternatives to Wall St.

Crypto movement since its birth is promising fortunes to the younger investors. Older gold bugs, such as myself are now embracing the growth that speculators have brought to the BitTulip game.

So, yes, some of my PM purchases have become BC purchases. Took a while to get used to the volatility I found with silver. BC will require much more patience and acceptance.

While PM prices are dampened with BC gains, look for a massive influx of PM buyers when BC holders see good reason to sell.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are pitfalls with any speculation and Bitcoin has several Achilles Heels. It may work out, but I would have a fair amount of concern that Bitcoin isn't as secure as it's cracked-up to be. It does have appeal as a way to keep some liquidity out of the banking system's paws.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I wish I bought more last March. It's hard to swallow the current price levels which drives my average acquisition cost up.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I just sent a fractional bitcoin in to be graded. Came back ES (Electron State) 67 which was a bit disappointing. Turns out after it was used to buy a pizza it subsequently wound up funding a drug deal before I purchased it. Illicit transactions tend to lower the grade. Now if I have any hope of turning a profit, I'll have to hodl until the value of the underlying electrons go up.

• Options
    edited December 16, 2020 7:50AM

you're in luck, it just broke $20,700.

• Options

My little six-card Etherium miner is doing a nice $7/day, the others are fpga miners working on Nimiq and 0xbtc. They do about $5. It just keeps on going through the cycles.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@66Tbird said:
    My little six-card Etherium miner is doing a nice $7/day, the others are fpga miners working on Nimiq and 0xbtc. They do about $5. It just keeps on going through the cycles.

WOW, I'm really old and clueless!

• Options
    edited December 16, 2020 8:15PM

@66Tbird said:

Nothing like wasting electricity just to create an imaginary digit. We are certainly doomed as a species. Crazy world. Semper Fi!

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    EZ come EZ go?

Lost nothing myself, markets fluctuate. Too bad it missed my 15k alert to add some more Take advantage of markets when they offer discounts, more important to look at markets and analyze trends and trend shifts. Sounds like this was your first btc whale sighting, more interesting to view them through exchange volumes(not the first nor the last)

BTC 21.7k currently, will likely retest 20k at some point(seems like short term is too bullish right now with the all time high). Will wait for the trend shift myself. I watch weekly candles, too much noise in dailies and have other things to look over. Why the interest in a minor fluctuation?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

You have to admit..........it's funny :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@66Tbird said:

Did you say $7 per day?
    Just checking
    I know some early miners made a lot of money

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@66Tbird said:

Nothing like wasting electricity just to create an imaginary digit. We are certainly doomed as a species. Crazy world. Semper Fi!

I mined the first big BTC price cycle to not only set a power consumption precedent used to determine my maximum allowable solar array size, I then sold that mined BTC to purchase about half of the array. My summer kwh production is just over 100kwh, and my winter is 70kwh. So my mining has been free since my solar ROI'd some time ago.

As far as imaginary digits, it's just as imaginary as a credit card I figure. I placed a bullion order with BTC and it arrived usps. I cashed out at the local coin shop. Crazy world indeed.

• Options

@1630Boston said:

@66Tbird said:

Did you say $7 per day?
    Just checking
    I know some early miners made a lot of money

I miss those $50-60 days.

• Options

@TPGS said:

Reality generally always lies in the middle somewhere, not with any extreme outlier thoughts. How many gold 10k people were there back in 2011? BCH far better transactional vehicle than btc, its a mistaken premise to think one crypto must do anything and everything and time will kill off lots of them as theres too many.

Likely at least 3 should survive/thrive, btc has likely cemented itself as one of them. You'll likely see greater gains than btc in correctly identifying other survivors while BTC steals the headlines/does the heavy lifting like it just trading over 24k. Silver has benefits over gold and vice versa.

• Options

@66Tbird said:
    I mined the first big BTC price cycle to not only set a power consumption precedent used to determine my maximum allowable solar array size, I then sold that mined BTC to purchase about half of the array. My summer kwh production is just over 100kwh, and my winter is 70kwh. So my mining has been free since my solar ROI'd some time ago.

As far as imaginary digits, it's just as imaginary as a credit card I figure. I placed a bullion order with BTC and it arrived usps. I cashed out at the local coin shop. Crazy world indeed.

Solar has been a great investment, everyone should look into it more and pencil out their own situations. Solar investments have been great as well lately, better then btc even. My panels paid for themselves faster than I expected for 2 main reasons, they're conservative on production figures and energy cost increases in my area have exceeded yearly norms.

When major places like Apmex, Jmbullion, etc accept crypto, it provides plenty of credence. They're actually expanding too like JM now notes "We accept BTC, BCH, ETH, 4 USD-pegged stablecoins, and XRP". I think its likely BCH/ETH/XRP will outperform BTC until its next major trend shift. Always watch for major trend shifts in everything.

• Options

@Tiggs2012 said:

@66Tbird said:

>

When major places like Apmex, Jmbullion, etc accept crypto, it provides plenty of credence. They're actually expanding too like JM now notes "We accept BTC, BCH, ETH, 4 USD-pegged stablecoins, and XRP". I think its likely BCH/ETH/XRP will outperform BTC until its next major trend shift. Always watch for major trend shifts in everything.

For sure ETH and XRP. Don't know about BCH. Only because I really don't know much about BCH from a white paper point of view.

• Options

go with what the whales go for. they are the price drivers at the moment.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2021 8:33AM

Well, it's been a great run. Everything but XRP that is. I'm seriously considering converting a mid-level percentage into a stable coin for yet another cycle. Yet there are different circumstances with this run-up. Like the institutional investors buying up more than twice what was mined over the last couple of months. Then there is crypto-friendly Biden admin. XRP sell-off moving into other vehicles. Derivative volume going against the norm. Arrrg, It's so confusing, deep breath, take your time, and wrap your mind around the big picture. Check charts, history, event triggers, futures, news, search statistics, I can do this, I've been doing this, but it's a bigger number than I've ever dealt with. Or do I cash out, buy the house next door and rent it out. Trading into a sure thing or holding onto what could be an even bigger windfall with BTC and its tag-along buddies. Another deep breath and a reminder to myself, it's a good problem to have.

• Options

Stick with the main attraction, it gets the most "love."

• Options

@66Tbird said:
    Check charts, history, event triggers, futures, news, search statistics, I can do this, I've been doing this, but it's a bigger number than I've ever dealt with. Or do I cash out, buy the house next door and rent it out. Trading into a sure thing or holding onto what could be an even bigger windfall with BTC and its tag-along buddies. Another deep breath and a reminder to myself, it's a good problem to have.

Usually a sign you're overly invested if getting emotional on anything, always plenty of other good stuff out there. Can always trim a position down. Would like to see btc settle down a little bit here, its had outsized gains lately. Haven't sold any lately myself, just some good LOLs seeing it move like 10k up in a week.

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Remember the guy in Britain who wanted to mine the local garbage dump for his lost hard drive containing his initial bitcoin accumulation a few years ago and the local authorities wouldn't allow it.

Now think how much garbage has been added on top since.

I think bitcoin was worth around $2000 at that time.

• Options

@Cuprinkor said:
    Remember the guy in Britain who wanted to mine the local garbage dump for his lost hard drive containing his initial bitcoin accumulation a few years ago and the local authorities wouldn't allow it.

Now think how much garbage has been added on top since.

I think bitcoin was worth around $2000 at that time.

same party risk

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

At today's bitcoin price if you had thrown a $100 bill at bitcoin when it first went public back in 2009 and cashed out now, you'd have $1.1 BILLION before taxes.

The whole cryptocurrency idea seemed anathema to us hard money people.

This discussion has been closed.