Home Precious Metals
Options

Bitcoins....

Comments

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand bitcoin, no matter who explains it to me. Anyone care to explain on simple terms?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand writing computer code but I once made a lot of money with Microsoft stock.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    I don't understand bitcoin, no matter who explains it to me. Anyone care to explain on simple terms?

Sorry, the best I can do.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

"Each Bitcoin is basically a computer file which is stored in a 'digital wallet' app on a smartphone or computer. People can send Bitcoins (or part of one) to your digital wallet, and you can send Bitcoins to other people. Every single transaction is recorded in a public list called the blockchain. People can spend their Bitcoins fairly anonymously. Although all transactions are recorded, nobody would know which account number was yours unless you told them."

• Options
    edited January 16, 2021 6:37PM

And, they have become the new "cool" T-shirt.

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

So far the correction was mild.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2021 9:39AM

can cryptos eventually reign in reckless money printing?

The more that central banks see this threat the more they will unite to squeeze cryptos.

The days are likely numbered for crypto profit opportunity, but they remain in the short and intermediate term. Money printing is crypto's best friend (as with gold), and the blue wave's (demo sweep) first order of business, $1T-$1.9T in new stimulatto, will provide more crypto/PM fuel. The blue wave's agenda will pump both cryptos and PMs for the foreseeable future as it continues to place its misled faith in the Magic Money Tree. Any interference in sky high price moves will come from new controls for cryptos and old futures market shenanigans for PMs.

MMT, the official credit card of the ruling party, will prove to be a driver of any asset that maintains dollar value until the inflation it reaps reveals the ugly face of free money.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2021 8:22AM

comparison of the two largest cryptos:

Bitcoin
    1 month performance +54%
    3 month performance +214%
    1 year performance +308%

Ethereum
    1 month performance +86%
    3 month performance +236%
    1 year performance +654%

What's in your wallet?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Bitcoin
    1 month performance +54%
    1 year performance +308%

Ethereum
    1 month performance +86%
    1 year performance +654%

What's in your wallet?

You forgot to add the standard disclaimer: "Past performance is no guarantee of future performance."

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2021 9:20AM

@PerryHall said:

@derryb said:

Bitcoin
    1 month performance +54%
    1 year performance +308%

Ethereum
    1 month performance +86%
    1 year performance +654%

What's in your wallet?

You forgot to add the standard disclaimer: "Past performance is no guarantee of future performance."

Works for me. Everyone else is completely on their own.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Bitcoin
    1 month performance +54%
    1 year performance +308%

Ethereum
    1 month performance +86%
    1 year performance +654%

What's in your wallet?

Money I can spend anytime, anywhere

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@3stars said:

@derryb said:

Bitcoin
    1 month performance +54%
    1 year performance +308%

Ethereum
    1 month performance +86%
    1 year performance +654%

What's in your wallet?

Money I can spend anytime, anywhere

That's what I'm talking about Only thing sitting in my wallet is the Benjamins. If I have bitcoins in my wallet the only way I can cash them out is if I can find anyone dumb enough to buy them.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2021 6:55PM

@blitzdude said:

That's what I'm talking about Only thing sitting in my wallet is the Benjamins. If I have bitcoins in my wallet the only way I can cash them out is if I can find anyone dumb enough to buy them.

I just sold some bitcoin on Robinhood quicker than it took you type that. lol

The track record of your Benjamins (hope you spent them yesterday):

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

Seriously?

I wanna say literally every major bullion house accepts cryptocurrency, or “Bitcoins”
    APMEX
    Provident
    Money metals
    Bullion exchange
    Bullion star
    Ect
    Ect

Surely the fact that I can cash out for colt hard assets like silver gold platinum palladium rare coin or whatever lends a small credence of legitimacy here right?

And last I checked buying and selling cryptocurrency in Robinhood is just like buying and selling in paypal, you are playing in their sandbox and are not able to withdraw your cryptocurrency... remember if you don’t own your private keys you don’t own your coins.

Not to say people aren’t making dollars trading on those platforms,

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

Try using Bitcoin at the 7-11

• Options

Try finding a 7-ll

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 1:27AM

@3stars said:
    Try using Bitcoin at the 7-11

https://getblockcard.com/

... it’s already happening

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:

I wanna say literally every major bullion house accepts cryptocurrency, or “Bitcoins”
    APMEX
    Provident
    Money metals
    Bullion exchange
    Bullion star
    Ect
    Ect

I bet they quickly convert these bitcoins into $$$$$.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 gas stations within 2 miles of me have bitcoin atms and have for years at this point. The fees though are high, I think like 25% I saw on one.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall, yes some businesses claim to accept bitcoin as payment, but most (including Apmex) aren't technically receiving bitcoin. They're using Bitpay or > @PerryHall said:

@LukeMarshall said:

APMEX
    Provident
    Money metals
    Bullion exchange
    Bullion star
    Ect
    Ect

I bet they quickly convert these bitcoins into $$$$$.

Correct. For example, Apmex uses Bit pay, a third party transaction facilitator. Your purchase is converted to dollars for payment to Apmex. Apmex doesn't actually hold bitcoin. Another example is Peter Schiff's Euro Pacific Capital. The guy abhors crypto, but you can pay for products and services there with bitcoin. There are relatively few legit businesses that will actually provide for a transaction between your bitcoin wallet and their bitcoin wallet. Thus, hodl (hold on for dear life!).

• Options

Using bitcoin as a currency is cumbersome and takes longer than a few minutes and requires a "digital wallet." Investing and holding bitcoin in a digital wallet also takes a lot of effort.

Quickest and easiest way to ride the crypto train is through investments with a third party who actually holds the bitcoin. Robinhood and paypal, among others, provide this service.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2021 9:48PM

“Ultimately, bitcoin is going to collapse, and any demand that it might have siphoned away from gold is going to return to gold. The bitcoin story is one of a bubble; it’s a modern-day Tulip Mania, it’s fool’s gold.” - Peter Schiff

Very likely that he is correct. Hopefully "ultimately" is far down the road. Cryptos so far are the Magic Internet Money Tree.

• Options

Interesting comparison of Bitcoin to Tesla. Proof that a rising tide money supply lifts all boats?

• Options

Looks like the millennials living their dot com tulip bubble to me. Look out below. lol

• Options
    edited January 22, 2021 9:59PM

Asset bubbles are some the best opportunities a diligent investor will ever see.

But, beware the pin.

• Options

You certainly have a tendency to buy the top. Glad Don Ho taught me the opposite. To each their own. CGRTS!

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rappers are pushing them now, so the unknowing are trying to buy in. This is the death-nell - just like when your shoeshine boy gives you stock tips.

thefinn
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2021 9:56PM

@blitzdude said:
    You certainly have a tendency to buy the top. Glad Don Ho taught me the opposite. To each their own. CGRTS!

LOL. If you knew the difference between a top and a bottom your "gutter metal" would be golden.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

This feels a lot like 1999...substitute TSLA for AOL!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    Rappers are pushing them now, so the unknowing are trying to buy in. This is the death-nell - just like when your shoeshine boy gives you stock tips.

The CoinStar machine at my local supermarket has a sign on it that says" "Buy BitCoins Here".

I wonder if or when the new Quantum Supercomputers (which are claimed to be 1.5 billion times faster than existing supercomputers) will be able to hack crypto currency systems by correctly guessing all the codes ?

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

The federal government was able to access close to a $Billion worth of Bitcoins from drug sellers/cartel, but won't say how they were able to gain access.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:
    The federal government was able to access close to a $Billion worth of Bitcoins from drug sellers/cartel, but won't say how they were able to gain access.

Should have just kept using $100 bills like they used to.

• Options

@derryb said:

@thefinn said:

Rest assured, despite ms. Yellen's view of bitcoin, far more US dollars are being used in illicit trades today than there ever could be in bitcoin.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get ready for a correction. I just bought in. Already down 10% from entry point.

• Options

First Bitcoin trust to trade on Toronto exchange.

"The Fund’s investment objectives are to seek to provide holders of Units (“Unitholders”) of the Fund with exposure to digital currency bitcoin (“Bitcoin”) through an institutional-quality platform that is cost-efficient to Unitholders and to provide a secure, simpler and exchange-traded investment alternative for buying and holding Bitcoin."

• Options

@derryb said:

@thefinn said:

Everyone knows you use rare stamps on an envelope, just ask Cary Grant.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2021 9:15AM

Who else thinks ETH will eventually overtake BTC in market cap? Disclaimer: I'm not convinced of long term success of cryptocurrency, but I do dabble in a few of them for FOMO. Plan is to gradually get out principle plus, then leave an equal amount behind for the longer term. ETH has been really strong lately and getting hyped over the concept of smart contracts.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2021 11:32AM

Me thinks I'm glad I re-positioned to ETH.

to answer your question, No

With a price of $37,134 BTC has a market cap of $691B
    With a price of $1631 ETH has a market cap of $186B

would take a whole lot of BTC losses and a whole lot ETH gains for it to happen. Normally, they both move in the same direction. It's like a racehorse trying to catch one that is moving at the same speed

ETH is hitting new highs today and I suspect has a lot more upward movement in store.

• Options

But.... ETH, unlike BTC, has no hard limit in number of coins. The BTC to ETH price per coin ratio could remain the same (~25:1) while ETH's market cap gradually catches up.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2021 3:31PM

The only way I see ETH market cap matching that of BTC any time soon is for BTC to take a nuclear direct hit. Maybe some SEC fingers in the pie. Otherwise BTC will remain the daddy bear and ETH the baby bear and they will continue down the same price path holding hands.

ETH has shown much better percentage gains and if it continues yes, ETH will catch up with BTC way, way down the road and not any time soon without a BTC black swan.

I see BTC as like gold and ETH as like silver. And you know I loves me some silver - more volatile with greater trading opportunity.

• Options

Within the crypto community, LTC is already generally accepted as silver to BTC's gold:) Maybe ETH is more like palladium?

• Options

I'm a silver and gold sort of guy. ETH is my silver crypto.

• Options

Man these doggy coins are going to pluto. Wish I had bought more.

I got like 5 years of silver gains in less than 5 days. And all I had to do is click a button, no hauling around and storing hunks of gutter metal. THKS!

• Options
    edited February 7, 2021 11:11AM

@blitzdude said:
    Man these doggy coins are going to pluto. Wish I had bought more.

I got like 5 years of silver gains in less than 5 days. And all I had to do is click a button, no hauling around and storing hunks of gutter metal. THKS!

I "bought" $9000 in Doge on December 31. It is now "worth" $140,000. Too bad Ms Morrisine has control of my digital wallet in the 2021 investment contest :'(

• Options
    edited February 7, 2021 11:58AM

careful, that doggy has a big bite. And don't leave him unattended overnight.

• Options
    edited February 7, 2021 12:31PM

Looks like Snoop Dog became Snoop Doge overnight, hence the big gain. lol My best investment of the past decade and it's all an imaginary made up joke. Crazy World!

• Options

I did get out of DOGE in real life. Missed the Snoop/Elon pump from the past few days, but if you ever hear me complaining about a 4 bagger feel free to smack me right in the mouth.

• Options

And jumped back in this morning. HODL you wsb retard, smh.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    I did get out of DOGE in real life. Missed the Snoop/Elon pump from the past few days, but if you ever hear me complaining about a 4 bagger feel free to smack me right in the mouth.

With everyone saying how silly doge is, I wonder if that means it’s the perfect time to buy.

• Options

So Tesla has $1.5 Billion (enumerated in US Dollars) in bit-coin and are going to take it in payment for cars but not quite yet because they have to figure out how it will work? Is it money or an investment or a gold replacement or a scam? It seems you wouldn't want your money to go up or down 5% or more in one day.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

This discussion has been closed.