Home Precious Metals
Options

Forum member inflation report.

Comments

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    How much is lead per pound these days?

I just bought a 3 year warranty car battery $140 totalimage

Last car battery I bought was in 2006 it was $90 but a lifetime warranty.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How much is lead per pound these days?

I just bought a 3 year warranty car battery $140 totalimage

Last car battery I bought was in 2006 it was $90 but a lifetime warranty. >>

Not so much as to the cost of lead, but it pertains to the disposal tax...pardon, fee.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Bought the Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice now in 60 oz size. It was 64 0z a few weeks back. Was on sale though 2 for $3.00 to make the transition a little easier maybe.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Briefing.com.....

08:52 ECONX Producer Prices Starting to Heat UpProducer prices increased 0.6% in April, up from a 0.5% increase in March. The Briefing.com consensus expected producer prices to increase 0.2%. The economic consensus is again having difficulties estimating producer inflation using the new methodologies. Final demand for services, which increased by its largest amount (0.7%) in March since January 2010, was anticipated to fall back in April. That did not happen. Services prices rose another 0.6% in April, which was one of the largest two-month gains in the history of the index. Final demand for goods increased 0.6% in April, up from being flat in March. Food prices, which jumped 1.1% in March, increased 2.7% in April. That gain reflected an 8.4% increase in meat prices, which included a 20.6% increase in pork prices. Egg prices increased 15.1%. Energy costs, which were expected to be a primary factor for April inflation gains, increased a minute 0.1% in April after falling 1.2% in March. Gasoline prices increased 1.8% after falling 3.4% in March. That gain was offset by a 3.6% decline in heating oil costs and a 4.2% decline in diesel fuel prices. Excluding food and energy, core PPI increased 0.5% in April, down from a 0.6% increase in March. The consensus expected these prices to increase 0.2%. Taking away trade services, core PPI increased only 0.3% in April after increasing 0.1% in March. Pipeline pressures remain tame. Intermediate processed goods prices were flat after falling 0.2% in March. Unprocessed intermediate demand increased a modest 0.4% in April after declining 0.1% in March. Much of that gain was the result of a 3.6% increase in unprocessed food prices.Read more: http://www.briefing.com/Platinum/InDepth/InPlay.htm#ixzz31hIyVOmA
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    Oreos are up to $3.50-4.

I don't need any other references that inflation is here.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>core PPI increased 0.5% in April, down from a 0.6% increase in March. >>

So the fed chair stated last week that we are having trouble reaching our target of 2% annual inflation. Looks like the last two months got us half way for the year.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Finding the Summer produce to be a bit higher from the drought, but manageable. Avocados jumped about 15% but most of the other Cali type fruit remains about the same as last year.

Any packaged goods from the store shelves (beverages, snacks, sauces etc) seem to continue a parabolic rise.

...and WTF is up with the 14 ounce Haagan Dazs at like $5.00

Haven't eaten the stuff for many years but a 16oz container didn't work anymore?
  • Options
    Text

$600 to attend a wedding.

Remember folks, eloping is your friend.
  • Options
    to continue a parabolic rise.

I've never seen a parabolic rise that didn't crash.

• Options

<< <i> Cable tv bills rise at 4x the rate of inflation >>

Two friends with ample money to afford expanded cable have recently dropped the service and gone to "free" antennae service.

I don't have cable myself. Can have more fun with the $60 each month.

Think that cable as we know it will be bumpy for the providers going forward.
  • Options

<< <i>to continue a parabolic rise.

I've never seen a parabolic rise that didn't crash. >>

Why you should be concerned about dollar supply.

• Options
    Are you saying the supply of dollars will crash?

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where Unsold Cars Go to Die

Car supply inflation? I know, consider the source. Still, an interesting thought. There is some hype in this ZH article and a little bit over-the-topness on how fast new cars can deteriorate. 10 BILL cars in the world? That's like
    a chicken in every pot (or at least a Kia in every pot).

But up to know, I didn't know that new cars sat in packs of 10,000 or more all over the world. We did the same things to homes in 2005-2007. Only difference then was people actually moved in to most of them.

Prices up another +15% on my ocean raised Salmon from the local fish market. Over 5 years it's up 40%. So like a good BLS follower I dutifully exercised my "substitutional effect" rights and bought some Big Y cheapo farm raised Salmon for 53% less than the good stuff. I don't care if it takes like old shoe leather and stinks to high heaven, it's cheaper. Next month the BLS will record my purchase as a contribution towards a 53% drop in the "food" CPI. It's everyone's patriotic duty to keep inflation down (WIN!)....or at least the stats. Doing my part in keeping inflation ("on paper") at bay. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Where Unsold Cars Go to Die

Car supply inflation? I know, consider the source. Still, an interesting thought. There is some hype in this ZH article and a little bit over-the-topness on how fast new cars can deteriorate.

But up to know, I didn't know that new cars sit in packs of 10,000 or more all over the world. We did the same things to homes in 2005-2007. Only difference then was people actually moved in to most of them. >>

I suspect a lot of those cars are in transit. We have a lot just like those where cars go when they are offloaded from ships. The cars are constantly being rotated in and out.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices up another +15% on my ocean raised Salmon from the local fish market. So like a good BLS follower I just exercised my "substitutional effect" rights and bought some Big Y cheapo farm raised Salmon for 53% less than the good stuff. I don't care if it takes like old shoe leather and stinks to high heaven, it's cheaper. Next month the BLS will record my purchase as a contribution towards a 53% drop in the "food" CPI. Doing my part in keeping inflation at bay.

Here we go again: is it "inflation" when the prices of more desirable goods go up? Is it "deflation" when the prices go down for goods and services that the market does not value? Some people think, "Yup, that's inflation, inflation is that, and that's all that's going on. If the Banksters didn't screw us all, then the price of my favorite goods would not go up."

guess what? the prices on the best stuff, preferred by everyone with good taste, always go up faster then the stuff that isn't as good

regardless of what "they" do to supply and demand in the short run, the market will always control the long run.

And we collectively are the market

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>Here we go again: is it "inflation" when the prices of more desirable goods go up? >>

Ocean raised salmon is a basic food group item. Yes it is inflation when a non luxury protein source rises in price.

A poor and cheaper substitute is farm raised seafood where the product is steeped in growth hormones and antibiotics, The salmon farmers use a bogus additive to create the reddish color in the salmon flesh, as the natural food sources of the salmon which bring about this hue is absent.

Same with organic produce vs commercially raised, round-up saturated fruits, grains and vegetables.

Every food was organically grown pre WWII, now it is considered a Baley luxury which should not factor in the cost of living. Hogwash!
  • Options
    What's inflating is the number if people on this planet. If there werent so many mouths to feed there would be no need to "speed up nature" and create foods that grow bigger and faster. So we create more people and enable them to live longer. Who was it said, "Don't mess with Mother Nature?"

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's inflating is the number if people on this planet. If there werent so many mouths to feed there would be no need to "speed up nature" and create foods that grow bigger and faster. So we create more people and enable them to live longer. Who was it said, "Don't mess with Mother Nature?" >>

The first half of that makes sense. But much of that increased food production is not making it to the growing pops or the hungry mouths..... not when a large % of corn production ends up as automobile fuels and other pretroleum products. The "speeding up of nature" is primarily to fuel corporate and shareholder profits. If the goal is to feed the world, the production needed to do that is already there.

Here's 2 comments from a car blog on the car storage area article above. There can be "some" truth to it.

Hmmmm...his storage problems I can relate to. When I was younger the huge car tax in Finland had to be paid once the dealer took the car out of the customs storage area in port. Needless to say, the dealers had only a few cars in stock as the car tax hovered around 100%. As rarer options come to play, some cars were sitting forever. Add to the injury that the cars sat at seaside and were rustproofed when removed from storage. A friend of mines father bought a Ford Taunus (German) with a then very rare automatic transmission. That car had been sitting almost three years. And to this day the year of the car in the registration is the date of the first registration, not the actual model year.

and another:

When I was still working for Mopar back in 2007 I think we purchased a number of new Crossfires from Mopar at firesale prices. They had been sitting on a storage lot for 2 or 3 years if not longer. I had to replace headlamp assemblies and do other work to get them presentable for sale.

I'll also point out in Iaccoca's book he discusses mis-use of the sales bank and was of the things he got under control while he was there. I hear GM is building cars for "the sales bank" to keep the lines running. I suspect there is a grain of truth to the guys "article" but does need more details. For all we know several of these pictures could be several years apart and don't accurately reflect conditions.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Played Golf 3 times over the last two weeks and paid $11, $13 and $15 including cart at decent courses

Bud light was $3.25, at one of them, but the cart girl was was incredibly cute. and that's no exaggeration, but alas, Friday is her last day image
  • Options
    the cart girl was was incredibly cute. and that's no exaggeration, but alas, Friday is her last day

because she received a better offer, no doubt. If she is good at her jobs and nice to work with, expect her salary to continue to "inflate".

• Options
    Oh the humanity......

Needed a replacement cap for my refillable 5 gallon water bottles. Half a buck!!!!!

Last one I bought was a quarter from the same place a couple of years ago.

...and the cute young lady was not even working today............................

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just discovered a 'package shrinkage' that occurred in the past and I never even noticed!

I had some junk coins that I had stored in an old kleenex box. I happened to set it down next to a newer box... and realized that the newer box is 1/2 inch shorter in length. Never even noticed when that change happened. Pretty slick on their part.

I know that some of you out there will say that inflation is low and not a problem; everything is fine and keep on investing in the stock market, etc. But in regards to inflation, my wallet is saying otherwise. Been paying much much more on just about everything. Any of you still eating much beef?
    ----- kj
  • Options
    It's a good thing everyone on this board has gold and silver which is protecting them from this rampant inflation.image

• Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a good thing everyone on this board has gold and silver which is protecting them from this rampant inflation.image >>

Yep... those PM's along with my other PM's [vintage Volkswagen parts] are what's given me a greater return over the past ten years than any other asset class!image

Actually more like 15 years.
  • Options

<< <i>It's a good thing everyone on this board has gold and silver which is protecting them from this rampant inflation.image >>

The fourfold 10 year increase has served me well! image
  • Options

<< <i>

The fourfold 10 year increase has served me well! image >>

Interesting that all that gain occurred before QE. Too bad J6P bought silver after QE when the church was preaching.

• Options
    QE was gasoline for PM prices.

• Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Interesting that all that gain occurred before QE. Too bad J6P bought silver after QE when the church was preaching. >>

I like many others here are happy not to be your average "Joe"image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Interesting that all that gain occurred before QE. Too bad J6P bought silver after QE when the church was preaching. >>

Deficit spending is the precursor to quantitative easing. In the old days though they called it monetizing the debt.
  • Options

<< <i>Deficit spending is the precursor to quantitative easing. In the old days though they called it monetizing the debt. >>

"A rose by another name is still a rose." image

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    All of your reports are focused on the wrong thing. How long until the US takes this approach? image

Cocaine and Prostitution are now included in the GDP!
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options

<< <i>QE was gasoline for PM prices.

image >>

Nice chart... where is the rest of it? image

• Options

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>QE was gasoline for PM prices.

image >>

Nice chart... where is the rest of it? image >>

It's waiting on QE4. image

Translation: More gasoline will bring more fire. And make no mistake, there will be more QE. As bad as the FED would like to distance itself from the coming QE induced currency crisis, that monkey is permanently tattooed on the FED's back. Their current reverse gear is made of plastic teeth and is nothing more than a head fake.

• Options
    Fear not, I'll not make the mistake of pretending that I know the future.

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Translation: More gasoline will bring more fire. And make no mistake, there will be more QE. As bad as the FED would like to distance itself from the coming QE induced currency crisis, that monkey is permanently tattooed on the FED's back. Their current reverse gear is made of plastic teeth and is nothing more than a head fake. >>

So you are saying we should expect more stock gains, "improvement" in the economy/employment, increased spending and more kicking the can down the road. Got it.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fear not, I'll not make the mistake of pretending that I know the future. >>

As Yogi said..."Making predictions is hard...especially about the future!"
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Dinner for two at Ruth's Chris $231 before tip

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds nice, what did you have? And no, you can't just say steak. I want details.

Plus how was it overall?
  • Options
    bread n butter, caesar salad, filet medium, coldwater tail, fingerling taters with bacon and cheese, steamed broccoli, a bottle of Franciscan '10 cab, cheesecake, and a cappucino.

would have made a fine last meal.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's just braggin.image
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Military heavy equipment orders boosted durable goods orders. Not exactly main street USA but, US spending. Borrow from China , taxpayers foot the bill. Gold will have it's day again.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Dinner for two at Ruth's Chris $231 before tip >>

So $235 total!

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    On the cheap side, at a Liga MX game beers were 30 pesos a piece ($2.50). Allot better than $10 a piece at a sporting event in the US.
  • Options

<< <i>On the cheap side, at a Liga MX game beers were 30 pesos a piece ($2.50). Allot better than $10 a piece at a sporting event in the US. >>

They were only $6 at a Marilyn Manson concert last Summer.

Had to settle for the $3 water though as I didn't have the age verification wristband.
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>On the cheap side, at a Liga MX game beers were 30 pesos a piece ($2.50). Allot better than $10 a piece at a sporting event in the US. >>

They were only $6 at a Marilyn Manson concert last Summer. >>

For a concert that's good, you would never get that price in commie~fornia...
  • Options

<< <i>

They were only $6 at a Marilyn Manson concert last Summer.

Had to settle for the $3 water though as I didn't have the age verification wristband. >>

How much did they have to pay you to go see Marilyn Manson?

• Options

<< <i>How much did they have to pay you to go see Marilyn Manson? >>

Good question. Manson was opening on the bill with Alice Cooper, who has been a favorite of mine forever.

Girlfriend and I wanted to see Cooper. I knew a bit about Manson, but not much. Checked out a few Youtube vids and the fellow is nothing short of despicable.

What the hell I figured.

Cannot quite explain it, but Manson was strangely enjoyable to watch. Might have been the booming bass or the hot, scantily clad fan base.

I would go back to see him.

Alice Cooper was awesome.

To keep it thread related, tickets were about $70 each.