Home Precious Metals

Forum member inflation report.

Comments

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gave up on the nuts a year or so when prices topped $12. have not given up on the organic though and switched to seeds; sesame, pumpkin and sunflower. About 1/3 the cost of the nuts but as much nutrition.

That plays into the Feds bogus inflation numbers which a few of you seem to buy into.

If 0.1%% of the population buys $15 nuts, do you really think those nuts should have a weighting in the index equal to a pound of hamburger which is bought by 50% of the population?

You're buying expensive nuts and $500 Vitamax. Are you sure your not one of those darned 1%ers? image

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If 0.1%% of the population buys $15 nuts, do you really think those nuts should have a weighting in the index equal to a pound of hamburger which is bought by 50% of the population? >>

If the price hike was an exception to the rule, I would agree with you. Organic or not, nuts have seen a significant rise in pricing, as have most categories of food. I am most attuned to the organic stuff as that is what I eat. In the minority to be sure, but certainly higher than your .1%.

The Democrat playbook has mastered the art of deception and I applaud your indoctrination. Organic food does not count, Vita Mixers do not count.

So what should the CPI include? Seems that bacon, coffee and orange juice are game. They have risen significantly this year. Cost of education and medical care have risen above the 2% fed threshold. Are those only for the 1%.

If you are not seeing at least 6%across the board inflation, you need different colored lenses in your eyeglasses.
    The Democrat playbook has mastered the art of deception and I applaud your indoctrination

This is truly funny. Im not sure what political parties have to do with the discussion but I can assure you that I am not a Democrat and I have never voted for a Democrat. I have nothing against Democrats although I very rarely agree on their stance on political, economical or social issues.

I find it fascinating that many view my comments as such. Perhaps it is because many are so far right that anything left of them is liberal?

No offense meant, but when I think of a nut and berry eating vegan, my mind thinks of an earthy, crunchy tree hugger that is most commonly associated with the liberal party. While someone raised on a farmette in the hills of Pennsylvania, drives a truck with camouflage seat covers, and has dead animals for wall decorations, is generally considered to be conservative.

If you are not seeing at least 6%across the board inflation, you need different colored lenses in your eyeglasses.

These are the sunglasses I wear. Yes, they are rose-colored. Seriously, thats what I wear. image Maybe I should complain about the cost because I remember buying sunglasses for $8 from Walgreen's. image

<< <i>No offense meant, but when I think of a nut and berry eating vegan, my mind thinks of an earthy, crunchy tree hugger that is most commonly associated with the liberal party. >>

No offense taken. I switched away from animal products many years ago for health reasons and it has served me well.

Odd though that so many that have a disdain for toxic foods, embrace toxic politics.

Getting back to the inflation numbers. I see what is in front of me, regardless of ideological alignment. 5 and 34 years of insane, reckless, unabated spending by both parties continues to weaken the purchasing ability of a pocketful of FRN's.

I wish it were not so as many baby boomer pensions are being destroyed, but my control is limited.
    I like meat.

Is it not true that many boomers' pensions are tied to the stock market? Isnt the stock market at record highs?

unabated spending by both parties continues to weaken the purchasing ability of a pocketful of FRN's.

Agreed. So we should make wise decisions on how we "rid ourselves" of those FRNs. Some people are better at making decisions than others.

<< <i>Is it not true that many boomers' pensions are tied to the stock market? Isnt the stock market at record highs? >>

Stock market is doing well, as the housing market did a decade ago. Some folks sold near the top while many floundered and lost their homes to a false and manipulated market.

<< <i>TextI like meat. >>

Nobody loved thick cuts of prime rib more that I did. Health failed though at 24 years of age and rather than crawling to the doctor I learned about nutrition. Studied everything that I could find and have been pretty healthy since. Not for everybody though as eating and going to the doc have become our two national pastimes.
  • AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

Cohodk, you've played the Devils advocate for so long that you've lost reality.

I've been doing all the cooking for the family the last year, which in turn means I've been doing all the grocery shopping. It's been a welcome change so far after 33 yrs ...... cook what I want, eat what I want, and never have to clean a dish, lol
    It's also kept me in tune with inflation. Anyone that isn't shocked how fast food has been increasing has been living under a rock.

I shop mostly at Costco and Sam's club for a family of 4 adults. A couple wks ago my impression at Sam's was that every item seemed to be priced in units of $10. This last week I filled up on a few missing items and the bill came to $320 and change. I remarked to the Cashier that I must've bought 32 items. She looked at the receipt and confirmed, sure enough 32 items.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears that many folks confuse price changes (increases) in their preferred purchases with general monetary inflation.

For the goods that everyone is being specific about, the point is that the price changes are because the seller has pricing power. Because of supply and demand, they are able to raise prices for their goods and still sell them. In fact, people go to a lot of trouble to optimize pricing and their supply and production train, in order to maximize profits. If a vendor is constantly selling out at a given price point, they will RAISE PRICES, otherwise they are leaving money on the table. On the other hand, if the goods are not moving, they are forced to LOWER PRICES in order to make sales. Remember the old adage: why does a seller raise prices? because he can. Why does he lower prices? because he has to.

What's happening, for the upscale stuff that members of the Precious Metals Forum shop for, is competition among consumers for the goods.
    It's misguided to blame the Fed, or the Banksters. The blame for price increases in your favorite goods should go to the other shoppers in the store. YOUR choice is to buy the goods or not. If enough people do not buy those specific goods, the price will fall, at the expense of the seller's excess profit, or if the goods cannot be profitably produced and sold, then they will cease to be offered.

So the next thing that someone will say, is that "they're printing and handing out free money, THAT's why my fellow shoppers have so much of it to throw around and bid up the prices!"

Well, if that were the case, wouldn't EVERYTHING be going up in price? the value of homes, cars, stocks, people's salaries, PMs, all the other commodities, and ALL groceries and durable goods and consumables and services? Yes, they would. The fact that some prices change up and some change down every single day indicates that it's the MARKETS, and all the people's buying and selling decisions in the aggregate, that set prices. And whether something specific increases or decreases in price is much more a function of supply/demand/price/quantity in real time, which is essentially a function of the desirability of the value-addedness that the seller is providing to the consumer, and the consumer makes an informed decision about whether or not to make the purchase.

Although it is fun to assign blame at "the system" and tilt at the windmills of society, the argument is illogical. What, prices are going up (inflation) because everyone has so much money to spend? What's the problem again? Oh, you wish you had more money to spend like the other guy does?

Welcome to the world! Get out there and compete.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$500 for a new Vita Mix. image

Can't tell you what the price on the old model was as it was a gift. >>

And worth every penny, I have a Vita-Mix Super 5200 and LOVE it!
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "As data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics shows, the price of a pound of creamy butter jumped 46 per cent in a decade, while the cost of white bread increased by 47 per cent between 2004 and 2014."
    That's about 3.5%/yr. Sounds right.

<< <i>

And worth every penny, I have a Vita-Mix Super 5200 and LOVE it! >>

Funny the Vita Mix is mentioned specifically, Costco has the 6300 on sale at $500, reg. $650, my wife just picked one up.

$500 for a blender?!? says I... Oh, but it's a good one, the best, will last the rest of our lives! says she.

Ok baby, I better get me some amazing milkshakes out of this thing

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

And worth every penny, I have a Vita-Mix Super 5200 and LOVE it! >>

Funny the Vita Mix is mentioned specifically, Costco has the 6300 on sale at $500, reg. $650, my wife just picked one up.

$500 for a blender?!? says I... Oh, but it's a good one, the best, will last the rest of our lives! says she.

Ok baby, I better get me some amazing milkshakes out of this thing >>

Pint of good quality vanilla ice cream, pint of chocolate, Kaluha, Hennesy VS, blend...for a perfect Brandy Alexander.
    Yessh...now we have a Vita Mix forum!

Lucked out. The motor/base was fine, the container blew out a bearing. $100 for the new container and I am back in business.

49c lb oranges, 79c bananas and $3.88 Strawberries and it is smoothie city once again!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wats up wid da price of motor oil?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>That's about 3.5%/yr. Sounds right. >>

I trust your 3.5% compounded number, but has the consumer's paycheck kept pace, or only the foodstamp recipients benefits?

<< <i>

I trust your 3.5% compounded number, but has the consumer's paycheck kept pace, or only the foodstamp recipients benefits? >>

I find life more enjoyable if I just focus on myself. I cant fix the world.

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I am seeing bigger yearly increases in my home insurance premiums, not so much in the past. Seems accelerated. Maybe all that QE. The cost of building materials are definitely increasing.

<< <i>

<< <i>

I trust your 3.5% compounded number, but has the consumer's paycheck kept pace, or only the foodstamp recipients benefits? >>

I find life more enjoyable if I just focus on myself. I cant fix the world. >>

Guess that is a no.
    No, he can't fix the world. I can't either. Can you?

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wifes hair stylists price for a cut has gone up $10. Second price change in 5 years, from $35 now $55.

Glad i'm balding and can just take out the clippers and be done.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No, he can't fix the world. I can't either. Can you? >>

I can't fix the world either!
    I try in various small ways as best I can however.
    I try to better myself to increase my consumer paycheck…take additional courses at the local community college, on line and elsewhere, learn a new trade or skill, work smarter.
    In today's day and age your paycheck will not increase unless you make yourself more valuable at your job, no matter what job you have.
    I shop prudently and try to spend my hard earner dollars wisely.
    You have to be proactive in marketing and improving yourself and take charge of your own future rather than feel at the mercy of "the System" or "government" or "Big Corporations" or whatever.
    Whining about it on line, on the job or to friends does nothing.
    Unless you get off you butt and better yourself, no matter your job…save your breath about prices going up. We all see it happening everyday and yeah, I don't trust the government figures either.

JMHO as always.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more

<< <i>

I can't fix the world either!
    I try in various small ways as best I can however.
    I try to better myself to increase my consumer paycheck…take additional courses at the local community college, on line and elsewhere, learn a new trade or skill, work smarter.
    In today's day and age your paycheck will not increase unless you make yourself more valuable at your job, no matter what job you have.
    I shop prudently and try to spend my hard earner dollars wisely.
    You have to be proactive in marketing and improving yourself and take charge of your own future rather than feel at the mercy of "the System" or "government" or "Big Corporations" or whatever.
    Whining about it on line, on the job or to friends does nothing.
    Unless you get off you butt and better yourself, no matter your job…save your breath about prices going up. We all see it happening everyday and yeah, I don't trust the government figures either.

JMHO as always. >>

Probably not, but I would rather fail trying than rolling over in defeat.

When the population of hard working, productive Americans demand a balanced budget, it will happen. Problem is most of us like the deficit spending as long as the results are not too destructive. We can pretend that our holdings of metals and real estate are rising, when in fact they are (with luck) merely keeping pace with the descending dollar.

"Mega inflation....it can't happen here, why this is America!"

It can happen here as it has in post WWI Germany and post WWII S America and once the insidious ball gets rolling, it is a difficult Genie to get back in the bottle.
    It can happen here as it has in post WWI Germany and post WWII S America

Agreed. All we have to do is destroy 80% of our infrastructure and have the military control the Govt.

K-mart bumped the price of a twelve of Corona from $12 to $13. Still a bargain but now a 7% higher priced bargain.

Not for me by the way!

<< <i>It can happen here as it has in post WWI Germany and post WWII S America

Agreed. All we have to do is destroy 80% of our infrastructure and have the military control the Govt. >>

Even with the taper, the US gov't is expanding the money supply by over 1% each month. Using 2007 as a base, money supply is being expanded by 5% per month. Is that of no consequence in regard to creating mega inflation?
    Using 2007 as a base, money supply is being expanded by 5% per month. Is that of no consequence in regard to creating mega inflation?

Not really. It just means there are more dollars potentially available. Without imbalances in supply/demand, there is almost no chance of mega inflation. Like I wrote in another thread, if everyone had a million dollars in the bank but never spent them, would prices rise?

<< <i>Like I wrote in another thread, if everyone had a million dollars in the bank but never spent them, would prices rise? >>

Yet the velocity of money (the number of times one dollar is spent to buy goods and services per unit of time - spending money) has continually declined since 2008, while consumers have been paying more for what they do buy.

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Even with the taper, the US gov't is expanding the money supply by over 1% each month. Using 2007 as a base, money supply is being expanded by 5% per month. Is that of no consequence in regard to creating mega inflation? >>

How much is being destroyed?...
    keceph `anah

<< <i>Using 2007 as a base, money supply is being expanded by 5% per month. Is that of no consequence in regard to creating mega inflation?

Not really. It just means there are more dollars potentially available. Without imbalances in supply/demand, there is almost no chance of mega inflation. Like I wrote in another thread, if everyone had a million dollars in the bank but never spent them, would prices rise? >>

But the money does not stay in the bank. Not for long. Margin debt on the NYSE now exceeds $450,000,000,000. A record. So the free money has inflated equities prices, as Bernanke intended.

Now that may be a good form of inflation to many, just as the increase in home values was touted a decade ago. But what happens when the money spills over to the commodities pit, which it has. Food prices double, "oh, that is of course weather related". Nat gas prices soar, "oh that is of course weather related".

Organic nuts and college educations soar "oh those are luxury goods".

Health care costs soar "oh, we have the best care in the world".

Always a damn excuse for reckless government.

.2 on the CPI. Core and headline the same.

1/3 of the .6 reported for the producer price index last week. I suppose we are to believe that the retailers ate the spread rather than pass it along to the consumer.

Sure.
    Food prices up 1.2% year over year. Largest increase in 2 years.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steak and lobster dinner special in Aruba last week was a tick under $30 at one place we went to.image

<< <i>Food prices up 1.2% year over year. Largest increase in 2 years. >>

Please tell me which food prices declined in the last 12 months. 5-12% increases seemed to be the norm at the local Kroger affiliate in the last year.
  • meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭
    I've been getting a surprising number of decent credit offers this year. Credit cards getting limit raised.... Lots of teaser rates for 18 months.... Personal loans around 6% apr. Auto !owns too. All pre-approved. Feels like 06-07. This could have an inflationary effect (or a wash) depending on its use.

The personal loans are attractive.

<< <i>The personal loans are attractive. >>

Money is plentiful and free to the banks. Any defaults of any size of course, will be covered by the taxpayers. All is good in America!

<< <i>

<< <i>Food prices up 1.2% year over year. Largest increase in 2 years. >>

Please tell me which food prices declined in the last 12 months. 5-12% increases seemed to be the norm at the local Kroger affiliate in the last year. >>

When metals were up, that's good for us metal sellers, right? and bad for metals buyers, right?

Now that food prices are up, that's good for folks who sell food, right? Are metals holders the only ones who "should" (there's that word again) get to raise prices?

Someone always benefits from everything. Hey, look Cheerios are up a dime a box. Time to go cry in our bowls.. image

<< <i>Now that food prices are up, that's good for folks who sell food, right? Are metals holders the only ones who "should" (there's that word again) get to raise prices? >>

I appreciate your acknowledgement that prices are rising.

Whether it is good for folks that sell food is up for debate. Margins are often squeezed to producers and retailers in a rising market. Probably too soon to predict winners and losers.

If a fellow put away some silver quarters in 1963 and cashes them in today at 15 x face, is he really a winner, as costs in that time have risen in a similar fashion? When he pays cap gains taxes on the "windfall", at best he breaks even on his longterm transaction.
    Yellen today.

"""(Reuters) - Persistently low inflation poses a more immediate threat to the U.S. economy than rising prices, Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said on Wednesday, stressing that the U.S. central bank would be delivering policy stimulus for some time to come."""

Can the lady be either that dense or that corrupted?
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a good read on whats wrong with the CPI linky
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My homeowner's insurance just jumped 20% in one year. No claims filed for years. Because of the "storms" you know.

Oh, make that "only" 15% when I complained and they "discovered" that they forgot to include a 5% discount for the umbrella policy.

The hits just keep on coming. Don't try to tell me there's less than 2% inflation.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    But what about the $500 computer that used to be $5000? You saved $4500 on that purchase!

...at least that is what Yellen wants us to believe.
    Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years

because people like those burritos and bowls, Chipotle has the ability to increase prices.

Why do sellers raise prices? because they can. Why do they lower prices? because they have to.

Soon J6P will be bled dry. Then what?
    GO(L)D will save him?

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yellen today.

"""(Reuters) - Persistently low inflation poses a more immediate threat to the U.S. economy than rising prices, Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said on Wednesday, stressing that the U.S. central bank would be delivering policy stimulus for some time to come."""

Can the lady be either that dense or that corrupted? >>

\

With Greenspan you knew you were getting a snow-job but at least he sounded intelligent....soooo Maestro. Then there was the nervous and jittery combinations of Ben and sidekicks Timmy, Hank and Jack (Manny, Moe and Jack or was it Moe, Larry and Curly.)

With Yellen, I don't know....she needs to spice the denseness and corruption up a notch or three. She needs some pizzaz, some drama. I know. Before (and during) her speeches there should be a theme song. Something like....da da da dah-da-da dah-da-da....

imageimage
    Any price inflation means higher consumer prices. While I can understand why low or nor inflation is bad for the bankers, I for the life of me can't figure out how is bad for an economy.

It's Time to Ditch the Consumer Price Index (CPI)

"What really matters is not the overall rate of inflation, which can be endlessly debated, but the purchasing power of earned income, i.e. wages and the exposure to real-world costs."

<< <i>Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years

because people like those burritos and bowls, Chipotle has the ability to increase prices.

Why do sellers raise prices? because they can. Why do they lower prices? because they have to. >>

Good to see that true price discovery remains in some markets. Shame it can't return to all of them.