Home U.S. Coin Forum

5 Star Generals MacArthur Gold Soldout !! Clad half dollar soldout

Comments

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I think all the gold coins for the general had to be shipped by yesterday or else the orders will be canceled.
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

I believe you are correct, the word they use is "issue"

(c) PERIOD FOR ISSUANCE
    .—The Secretary may issue coins
    minted under this Act only during the 1-year period beginning
    on January 1, 2013.

(l8-)>>

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is interesting that the clad half dollar has sold out. Historically those coins have seldom supported a market price that is equal to their issue price. >>

Historically you are technically correct, save for the 1996-s Olympic Soccer half in BU which traded multiples of issue (and still does), and last years Army Half in BU at 39,461 pieces which sold for multiples of issue immediately after it sold out.

The General BU Half will be very close to unseating the Army BU half as king of modern commem BU halves. Interim (spreadsheet) sales numbers indicated between the two options to purchase this coin, it was still a lower aggregate sales number than the Army BU Half.

Obviously, people hit this coin hard in the last week, and im sure many are sitting with orders in backorder status - waiting to see if they will be filled.

It's also interesting to see where the numbers fall - on the actual US Mint HTML report (not the spreadsheet) for this week and next. If this coin is a close second, by a couple hundred coins, it would be possible that large order cancellations could bring the number down to make it the king.

<< <i> believe you are correct, the word they use is "issue" >>

Issue does not man delivered.

I assume if a valid sales order is received by the end of the stated order period, this would be deemed as "issued", however, actual delivery could take place in January.

• FYI

Dear United States Mint Customer:

We are in receipt of your order for products included in either the 2013 5-Star Generals Commemorative Coin Program or the 2013 Girl Scouts of the USA Centennial Silver Dollar Commemorative Coin Program.

Legislation for these coins requires that they be issued by December 31, 2013. Therefore, all orders not fulfilled by that date will be cancelled. As these commemorative products begin shipping, your credit card will be charged. To facilitate the processing of your order, please ensure that your credit card expiration date is current, that your billing address on file matches your credit card billing address, and that your credit card can accommodate both your purchase total and the shipping and handling fee. Please note, due to this time constraint, we will not be able to contact you to resolve any order processing issues.

Please use the track order feature on our website at http://catalog.usmint.gov by entering your order number and last name to obtain the status of your order. If any credit card updates are needed, please contact us no later than noon ET, December 31, 2013. You can reach us 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight Eastern Time at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Hearing and speech impaired customers with TTY equipment can reach us Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time at 1-888-321-MINT (6468). Without this updated information, your order will regrettably be cancelled.

The United States Mint is pleased to fulfill your numismatic needs.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Center

United States Mint
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------- >>

To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman

<< <i>Therefore, all orders not fulfilled by that date will be cancelled >>

Key word "fulfilled". Hmmm, dos that mean shipped? Maybe not. Does it mean accepted and processed? Maybe, Maybe Not. Does it mean in the box and tagged? Maybe, Maybe Not.

Obviously, orders taken yesterday - a "pre-holiday", where most business are working with skeleton staff - I believe they will make every attempt to ship, even if that tag is generated on 1/1 forward.

If the product is there, and they took an order by 12/31 noon, you should get it.

Key word is IF the product is there and available.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of "ifs" there 7/8.

I order a few of the 5-star gold proofs on the 24th and they were in stock & reserved on the 26th. However, the priced dropped. So, I cancelled and re-ordered. They are now on BO though my order has moved from "on hold" to "Your order request is in process" but the shipping date keeps slipping. I don't expect to get them but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
  • Eric Jordan suggested that the final final mintage could be slightly below 5600. The following letter from mint provides one reason. Some people placed big orders using cc may accidentally overcharge their card, resulting in their orders being cancelled by the mint after 12/31. So my guesstimate is about 5560.

Dear United States Mint Customer:

We are in receipt of your order for products included in either the 2013 5-Star Generals Commemorative Coin Program or the 2013 Girl Scouts of the USA Centennial Silver Dollar Commemorative Coin Program.

Legislation for these coins requires that they be issued by December 31, 2013. Therefore, all orders not fulfilled by that date will be cancelled. As these commemorative products begin shipping, your credit card will be charged. To facilitate the processing of your order, please ensure that your credit card expiration date is current, that your billing address on file matches your credit card billing address, and that your credit card can accommodate both your purchase total and the shipping and handling fee. Please note, due to this time constraint, we will not be able to contact you to resolve any order processing issues.

Please use the track order feature on our website at http://catalog.usmint.gov by entering your order number and last name to obtain the status of your order. If any credit card updates are needed, please contact us no later than noon ET, December 31, 2013. You can reach us 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight Eastern Time at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Hearing and speech impaired customers with TTY equipment can reach us Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time at 1-888-321-MINT (6468). Without this updated information, your order will regrettably be cancelled.

The United States Mint is pleased to fulfill your numismatic needs.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Center

United States Mint
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------- >>

>>

To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 328 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a steal of a deal, right?

If I had the funds, I'd get it.

MacArthur Uncirculated AND Proof 70 >>

Here's a 2 coin set NGC ER 70's @ $1399.99. This is $400 less than the set you linked...

LINK >>

I hate being broke!
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a lot of "ifs" there 7/8.

I order a few of the 5-star gold proofs on the 24th and they were in stock & reserved on the 26th. However, the priced dropped. So, I cancelled and re-ordered. They are now on BO though my order has moved from "on hold" to "Your order request is in process" but the shipping date keeps slipping. I don't expect to get them but it will be interesting to see how it plays out. >>

I have a similar order. They are "in process". Cancel box remains (which means not locked in yet). My cc has not been hit -- so if payment "MUST" be made by Dec 31 is true, then this order is SOL and should have been cancelled immediately at Noon the 31st. I suspect it will go through yet unless my card has a glitch. The Mint statement can be interpreted in several ways as mentioned, but in the end they will want to fill the order$$ if stock is still available.

I believe the "color" of the legislation is still met under the scenario of no further sales after a specified date.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>

<< <i>It is interesting that the clad half dollar has sold out. Historically those coins have seldom supported a market price that is equal to their issue price. >>

Historically you are technically correct, save for the 1996-s Olympic Soccer half in BU which traded multiples of issue (and still does), and last years Army Half in BU at 39,461 pieces which sold for multiples of issue immediately after it sold out.

The General BU Half will be very close to unseating the Army BU half as king of modern commem BU halves. Interim (spreadsheet) sales numbers indicated between the two options to purchase this coin, it was still a lower aggregate sales number than the Army BU Half.

Obviously, people hit this coin hard in the last week, and im sure many are sitting with orders in backorder status - waiting to see if they will be filled.

It's also interesting to see where the numbers fall - on the actual US Mint HTML report (not the spreadsheet) for this week and next. If this coin is a close second, by a couple hundred coins, it would be possible that large order cancellations could bring the number down to make it the king. >>

7/8: as usual your insights always appreciated. The Army was a great flip as you mentioned. Hence the rush on the Generals -- it has not been a great year for Mint flippers. The price of these has moved up on eBay already and the dealers are moving their prices up accordingly on the secondary market. I just picked up a group in PCGS FS 69 at under $40 which seems like a good deal. Yeah, still a gamble but we will see...

Happy New Everyone!! May 2014 bring us better.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    If we think about some of these General coins logically -

1) Close to sellout, in backorder status the last few days of the year/sales period - sales numbers translating to lowest/2nd lowest mintage of their respective types
    2) When in backorder status, sometimes out until 1/10-1/15, credit cards will not be hit until shipped, cancel boxes remain for DK'ing order prior to that date
    3) Even if filled, 7 day return policy
    4) Sales ended 12/31, sales numbers will be known in most cases before your cancel/return privilege expires.

All translates to -

NO DOWNSIDE RISK.
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Any word on the latest sales figures for the 2013 D Unc. Clad Half so far today ? Thanks.
    Specialized Investments
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    5,674 for the Gold unc.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    unc gold general now at 5674
    clad half at 27,252
    Clad Half sits at 37,967 (27,252 + 10,715)

Lowest Mintage Clad Commem Half - so far, by 1,494 coins

Army came in at 39,461

• << <i>unc gold general now at 5674
    clad half at 27,252 >>

5674 is a very solid number, a strong semi key representing a mintage trough. The final audited mintage could be slightly below this number.
    It looks like the MacArthur Proof is also the new king of the proofs at 15,949. (unaudited). That is about 1,200 less than the Army proof. Two new Gold Kings - what do you know!!
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that the 5674 number for the unc. MacArthur is *exactly* 500 more than the 5174 for the Jackie Robinson.

Based on past experience, that number will go lower, perhaps substantially, as it reflects sales rather than deliveries. We still don't know how many orders were cancelled or how many (if any) were struck in an additional run.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like I just got my answer re: my 5 Star Gen. Proofs....

Sucks!

Greetings from the United States Mint.
    The following order has been cancelled either at your
    request or because we were unable to process it. We invite
    you to resubmit the order via our website at
    http://www.usmint.gov and click on Product Catalog.

Order # : Order Date: 12/27/13
    Sold To . :

Shipped To:

Item Qty

5G1 1
    2013 5-STAR GENERALS GOLD PROO

This is a system generated e-mail. Please do not reply.
    If you have questions, please visit the Help page at
    http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>Looks like I just got my answer re: my 5 Star Gen. Proofs....

Sucks!

Sold To . :

Shipped To:

Item Qty

5G1 1

http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT. >>

Yup, me to!!! Here, I will buy you a drink - image

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like I just got my answer re: my 5 Star Gen. Proofs....

Sucks!

Sold To . :

Shipped To:

Item Qty

5G1 1

http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT. >>

Yup, me to!!! Here, I will buy you a drink - image >>

Thanks. I needed that.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    These should be a good buy and hot tip for today:

LINK 2013-D Clad Half's PCGS FS 69's @ $32.95
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got my Uncirculated $5.00 gold today. It is no MS-70. There are a couple of small marks on the lamp on the reverse which take it down to no better than MS-68, probably 67. Perhaps this one that was retuned, but I did get coin so I can be happy about that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

• << <i>I just got my Uncirculated $5.00 gold today. It is no MS-70. There are a couple of small marks on the lamp on the reverse which take it down to no better than MS-68, probably 67. Perhaps this one that was retuned, but I did get coin so I can be happy about that. >>

Take it easy, bill. Check the pop. Nowadays it is much more difficult to get MS 68 than MS70 image

<< <i>These should be a good buy and hot tip for today:

LINK 2013-D Clad Half's PCGS FS 69's @ $32.95 >>

Great tip! Ordered. Thanks!!
    SOLD OUT

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An order placed on 12/29/13 for the MS Half Dollar Commems (1,000 units) while the coin showed as backordered has now officially been cancelled.

Not sure if these 1,000 coins were counted in any report from the Mint or not.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Cancelled by the buyer or by the US Mint?

If placed on 12/29; it should be including in the numbers, but obviously not the cancellation.
    Update:

One of my orders for 100 Clad BU Halves was just cancelled by the US Mint.

HMMM......I guess there were less than reported today
    Cancelled by the US Mint. My customer just got an email.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    FWIW I found a source of MS69's flag label for $37.95. Only 11 left though
    Wow -- shocking to see the Gen's clad come in under the Army...after being ahead this last week. Always good to see a new winner.

Glad I hung onto mine. And yes, my gold proofs poofed too.

<< <i> And yes, my gold proofs poofed too. >>

So, I wonder what this will do to the number of Gold Proofs considering they are already the King of the Gold Proof Comm's and if it will have any effect on the current pricing??? I noticed the Bay prices are starting to rise.
    So, is the actual mintage now 1,000 less than is currently being reported?

> The following order has been cancelled either at your
    > request or because we were unable to process it. We invite
    > you to resubmit the order via our website at
    > http://www.usmint.gov and click on Product Catalog.
    >
    > Order # : 42416554 - 1 Order Date: 12/29/13
    > Sold To . : XXXXXXXXXXX
    > Shipped To: XXXXXXXXX
    > Item Qty
    > 5G6 1000
    > 2013 5-STAR GENERALS CLAD UNC

Wondercoin
    The thing on the clads is there is a huge population of 69's. At least being sold. Now, if you score a 70, then $$$$$$$$$$
    Orders placed on 12/29 around noon for 300 coins (verified) have been cancelled by the US Mint for Clad Halves.

One order for 100 had 15 units filled, the other 85 cancelled. placed 12/29.

I bet numbers on the halves will come down.

<< <i>SOLD OUT >>

That was fast.
    Now we know of orders for 1,300 Clad Bu Halves that were cancelled
    Getting tough to find clads now <$40. APMEX had some, now all gone. There's some left on ebay ms69 for about $40.
    And to think there were some PCGS 69s on eBay for less than $30 yesterday.
    Lots of clad halves canceled, what about the unc. $5 MacArthur?

• Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭
    What was the final sales figure for the uncirculated clad half dollars?
    Clad Half sits at 37,967

1,300 clad halves were cancelled today at around 4-5pm EST.

This could decrease the number.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reported Final Sales

Unc MacArthur = 5,674

Unc Generals Half Dollar = 27,252 + 10,715 (Profiles Collection)

I'm guessing that there will be some adjustments in the next few weeks.............more so for the halves, fewer for the $5s.......
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>I'm guessing that there will be some adjustments in the next few weeks.............more so for the halves, fewer for the $5s....... >>

Hope you're right . . . sometimes the adjustments take years.

• So the place I ordered my MS69 halves yesterday for $37.95 have been repriced to $47.95. In ended up buying 4 of them prior to the price increase and it was free shipping too
  • bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Is the Profiles Collection going to do well here? Any thoughts?
  • % Clads Available for $35 and you can send in a Best Offer
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I couldn't resist, bought them all @ 32 ea, w/ogp and free shipping...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file