Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

5 Star Generals MacArthur Gold Soldout !! Clad half dollar soldout

below 5700, maybe as low as 5300!!!
To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was Jackie Robinson?

GrandAm image

I found this number under The US Mint Sales Report

Commemoratives 5G2 2013 5-STAR GENERALS GOLD UNC 5,512 Y
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    The future value of these won't be determined by quantities minted but rather by the popularity of the theme of the coin. I think the uncirculated Robinson met both the number minted and

popular subject criteria...not sure about these 5 star generals...time will tell.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything under 6k would be nice! While it's true mintages alone won't dictate the price, any who bought from the Mint and is looking to flip should be do fairly well.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,474 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What was Jackie Robinson? >>

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Most people at this point will say that Jackie remains the king.

However, there is a long shot chance that Mac dethrones Jackie.

The reason? We still do not know whether Mint produced more or not. I will be kind of surprised if Mint only produced around 500 for this batch. So there is a distinct possibility that mint did not strike,but intead just close out the remaining inventory, which may result in the long shot scenario IMO.

Old soliders never die, they just fade away..
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    FROM US MINT BLOG

According to the United States Mint website, the uncirculated version of the 2013 5-Star Generals $5 Gold Coin has sold out. This coin will most likely have the second lowest mintage for any modern commemorative coin.

The sell out comes as a surprise since sales were scheduled to end next week on December 31. For as long as I have been writing this blog, I have not seen a commemorative coin sell out prior to the announced sales ending date ¨C except in the case of the coin reaching its full maximum authorized mintage.

While other numismatic products have sold out early, either prior to the end of the year or prior to the end of a stated availability period, commemorative coin issues had seemed to fall into a different category. Because the sales price of each commemorative coin includes a surcharge payable to a beneficiary organization, the US Mint had seemed compelled to allow sales to continue as long as possible. Presumably, an early sell out might risk backlash from the beneficiary organization who would lose out on additional surcharges.

Apparently, this is not a significant consideration and early sell outs can occur for any product at any time.

The Uncirculated 2013-P 5-Star Generals $5 Gold Coin had reported sales of 5,512 units as of last week¡¯s sales report. The uncirculated version of the coin is only sold individually and not included in any other special sets or products.

As mentioned, the mintage for the $5 gold uncirculated coin will likely represent the second lowest for any modern commemorative coin. The lowest mintage remains the Uncirculated 1997 Jackie Robinson $5 Gold Coin at 5,174.

The next lowest mintages are held by the uncirculated 2001 Capitol Visitor Center $5 Gold Coin at 6,761 and the uncirculated 2012 Star Spangled Banner $5 Gold Coin at last reported sales of 7,027.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most 2012 First Spouse coins are still available until Dec. 31 or sellout.

Twice the gold, and currently many are less than half the mintage of the unc. MacArthur.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    time lag between minting and selling made it impossible to consider striking more?????

no clue.

I think J.R. will still easily dominate this one due to the subject matter of each. Time will tell, though.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Why is the proof still around?

Any reason the uncirculated is/was so much more popular?
  • Options

<< <i>Why is the proof still around?

Any reason the uncirculated is/was so much more popular? >>

The proof has already sold more than 15600. Do not forget the three coin set.

BTW, Macarthur is my hero. Most WWII and Korean Wars veterans and their family members have the similiar feeling. So there will be demand down the road.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it makes much difference, but the MacArthur gold has different mint marks for the proof (W) and uncirculated (P) versions.

The Jackie Robinson was "W" for both finishes.

• Options
    Forgot to mention that this coin may have some surprising demand in Japan, especially given the current east asian geopolitical situation. You may be very surprised to know how many people in east asia know and respect him. Now we are talking about a region with 1.8 billion people.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure if it makes much difference, but the MacArthur gold has different mint marks for the proof (W) and uncirculated (P) versions.

The Jackie Robinson was "W" for both finishes. >>

Good point, overdate!
  • Options

<< <i>Why is the proof still around?

Any reason the uncirculated is/was so much more popular? >>

proofs typically sell in higher numbers than the unc.

I'm sure they struck more due to the demand difference expectations.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    1997 Jackie Robinson unc. $5 gold (mintage 5,174) is going on eBay for $1600+ in MS69 and $2500+ in MS70.

A 2001 Capitol Visitors Center unc. $5 gold (mintage 6,761) in PCGS MS69 sold on eBay last month for $1,441.

The mintage of the unc. MacArthur is unknown, but there is a good chance it will be at least 1K less than that of the Capitol Visitors Center. A few unc. MacArthurs (not mine) are currently available on eBay for under $700.

• Options

<< <i>... A few unc. MacArthurs (not mine) are currently available on eBay for under $700. >>

those without that luster disturbance on the obverse center will surely go for more.

• Options
    Completely agree. This is called pricing anomaly. I saw a couple MS 69 sold below 500 this afternoon.

<< <i>1997 Jackie Robinson unc. $5 gold (mintage 5,174) is going on eBay for $1600+ in MS69 and $2500+ in MS70.

A 2001 Capitol Visitors Center unc. $5 gold (mintage 6,761) in PCGS MS69 sold on eBay last month for $1,441.

The mintage of the unc. MacArthur is unknown, but there is a good chance it will be at least 1K less than that of the Capitol Visitors Center. A few unc. MacArthurs (not mine) are currently available on eBay for under $700. >>

• Options
    Someone knew the soldout is coming. The three dozens MS 69 were gobbled within the last couple of days at several major dealers (AMPEX, LIBERTY for example ).
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. Try to find one now <$600 anywhere. I snagged the last ms69 BIN at that price range on ebay.

Congrat's to those who got them fresh.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    any clue from the letter from mint last week? personally I think that they just closed out their remaining inventory---------------

Dear United States Mint Customer:

We are in receipt of your order for products included in either the 2013 5-Star Generals Commemorative Coin Program or the 2013 Girl Scouts of the USA Centennial Silver Dollar Commemorative Coin Program.

Legislation for these coins requires that they be issued by December 31, 2013. Therefore, all orders not fulfilled by that date will be cancelled. As these commemorative products begin shipping, your credit card will be charged. To facilitate the processing of your order, please ensure that your credit card expiration date is current, that your billing address on file matches your credit card billing address, and that your credit card can accommodate both your purchase total and the shipping and handling fee. Please note, due to this time constraint, we will not be able to contact you to resolve any order processing issues.

Please use the track order feature on our website at http://catalog.usmint.gov by entering your order number and last name to obtain the status of your order. If any credit card updates are needed, please contact us no later than noon ET, December 31, 2013. You can reach us 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight Eastern Time at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Hearing and speech impaired customers with TTY equipment can reach us Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time at 1-888-321-MINT (6468). Without this updated information, your order will regrettably be cancelled.

The United States Mint is pleased to fulfill your numismatic needs.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Center

United States Mint
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,474 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FROM US MINT BLOG

According to the United States Mint website, the uncirculated version of the 2013 5-Star Generals $5 Gold Coin has sold out. This coin will most likely have the second lowest mintage for any modern commemorative coin.

The sell out comes as a surprise since sales were scheduled to end next week on December 31. For as long as I have been writing this blog, I have not seen a commemorative coin sell out prior to the announced sales ending date ¨C except in the case of the coin reaching its full maximum authorized mintage.

While other numismatic products have sold out early, either prior to the end of the year or prior to the end of a stated availability period, commemorative coin issues had seemed to fall into a different category. Because the sales price of each commemorative coin includes a surcharge payable to a beneficiary organization, the US Mint had seemed compelled to allow sales to continue as long as possible. Presumably, an early sell out might risk backlash from the beneficiary organization who would lose out on additional surcharges.

Apparently, this is not a significant consideration and early sell outs can occur for any product at any time.

The Uncirculated 2013-P 5-Star Generals $5 Gold Coin had reported sales of 5,512 units as of last week¡¯s sales report. The uncirculated version of the coin is only sold individually and not included in any other special sets or products.

As mentioned, the mintage for the $5 gold uncirculated coin will likely represent the second lowest for any modern commemorative coin. The lowest mintage remains the Uncirculated 1997 Jackie Robinson $5 Gold Coin at 5,174.

The next lowest mintages are held by the uncirculated 2001 Capitol Visitor Center $5 Gold Coin at 6,761 and the uncirculated 2012 Star Spangled Banner $5 Gold Coin at last reported sales of 7,027. >>

Well........................

You know what they say about coming in "Second".

Second place if the official 1st Loser.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At ease ?
    Yes sir !
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Glad I got mine in time for First Strike holders.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>You know what they say about coming in "Second".

Second place if the official 1st Loser. >>

The coin with the previous second place mintage (6761), the 2001 unc. Capitol Visitors Center, sells for about $1400, not much lower than the first place Jackie Robinson (5174) at $1600.

The unc. MacArthur should be "golden," even if it winds up in second place.

• Options
    The latest updated sale from the mint is 5612!! (only sold 100 last week before the sudden soldout)

This story is becoming more and more interesting.
  • Options
    5 Star General Uncirculated Gold PCGS MS70 First Strike, selling on E-bay( Buy it now )for $1495.00 & $1900.00
    Wow! are they hot.
  • Options

<< <i>5 Star General Uncirculated Gold PCGS MS70 First Strike, selling on E-bay( Buy it now )for $1495.00 & $1900.00
    Wow! are they hot. >>

The $1495 sold a few hours ago. Word of the low mintage must be getting around.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I bought a pair of MS70/PF70 NGC Early Release for $1400 just now. You have to buy the pair. Seller has 5 left and its from the not so popular site talked about on this forum. Looks like all major sellers are pulling them or out of stock. I am looking at the Capitol Visitors NGC MS 70s selling in the $1200 range to base my purchase on. I will sell my raw MS $5 gold General from the mint later on to make up the cost. I wanted a MS70 example of this coin, though it may take several years for this coin to mature. I believe this price roughly at $800 in MS70 ($1400-the NGC PF70 at $600 if I sell the PF) is not a bad entry point for the coin.
  • Options
    It is very encouraging to see ngc ms70 selling at 1000 to 1200 range. More significant than pcgs ms70fs selling over 1400. Why? Check ngc pop and you will find that about 90% raw graded ms70 at ngc so far. So anyone who got raw coins fresh from the mint will hesitate to sell below 1000, assuming coins not in the bottom 10%. Old soldiers never die, they just fade away...
  • Options
    The real lesson is that there now far less than 6,000 real collectors of modern gold commemoratives.

If you take out the dealers and flippers trying to catch the lowest mintage the number of actual "I've got to have one for my collection even if it commemorates John Crapper!" collectors is almost certainly below 4500.
  • Options
    SO the 12k proof were all bought by aliens from another planet?
    Many big dealers bought limited number because of the lack of incentive, I.e., no bulk purchase and no dealer discount, from mint.
    With that said, Quite a few collectors did lose interest, but collector interest for modern is always volatile, especially for coin series lacking coherent design. As a more advanced topic in modern finance theory, there is always some positive feedback between buyer interest and market pricing strength.

q]The real lesson is that there now far less than 6,000 real collectors of modern gold commemoratives.

If you take out the dealers and flippers trying to catch the lowest mintage the number of actual "I've got to have one for my collection even if it commemorates John Crapper!" collectors is almost certainly below 4500. >>

• Options
    Less than 4500 collectors of modern uncirculated gold commemoratives.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Scary number. It tells me after the flippers are done there will be an excess on the market with few buyers at the high prices.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Unless there are a few major dealers with significant inventory now want to make a marketimage

Given the expected popularity of the next two gold offerings in this series, there is more than sufficient time to be worthwhile for several market makers image a very interesting scenario will unfold in the next few quarters.

As said above, there is always some positive feedback between price action and collector demand image

q]Scary number. It tells me after the flippers are done there will be an excess on the market with few buyers at the high prices. >>

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the expected popularity of the next two gold offerings in this series, there is more than sufficient time to be worthwhile for several market makers image a very interesting scenario will unfold in the next few quarters.

As said above, there is always some positive feedback between price action and collector demand image

Good observations. And valid ones at that.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I do believe design plays a role since the star spangled in MS was in the 7K range and MOH MS was in the 8K range. MacArthur was not a popular design, so probably the low numbers. It certainly was cheaper to buy by $100 from the previous two mentioned also. As far as all those raw nge MS70 coins, they were not blindly sent in and probably screened.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just glad I picked one up in case I ever want to complete a Unc $5 set. I *hate* missing keys/semi keys the first go-around. I'm still kicking myself over the Capitol Visitor Center $5 unc. Owww..
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>5 Star General Uncirculated Gold PCGS MS70 First Strike, selling on E-bay( Buy it now )for $1495.00 & $1900.00
    Wow! are they hot. >>

The $1495 sold a few hours ago. Word of the low mintage must be getting around. >>

UGH!! I bought one from APMEX for $650ish. It had a bit of toning. I didn't feel like sending it to PCGS so I sent it back. image

I was still able to get one MS70FS from APMEX for $630 which I still have and two should arrive from the Mint today so I won't complain too much.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is very encouraging to see ngc ms70 selling at 1000 to 1200 range. More significant than pcgs ms70fs selling over 1400. Why? Check ngc pop and you will find that about 90% raw graded ms70 at ngc so far. So anyone who got raw coins fresh from the mint will hesitate to sell below 1000, assuming coins not in the bottom 10%. Old soldiers never die, they just fade away... >>

Looks like I'll be sending my ATS tomorrow.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Is Jackie Robinson still the king? Some speculation and observation.
    Dec1 sale 4850
    Dec 8 sale 5225
    Mint is shipping backordered coins ordered on dec 7
    Conclusion, it is a long shot, but still a possible scenario. Do not forget that some coins have been returned from the 4850 ordered prior to dec 1.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if the 2013 will defeat Jackie for lowest mintage but it should still be a very good coin either way. I ended up buying a small position this year, far fewer than I originally planned at the beginning of the year. But, I guess many folks are in that boat and why we might have a solid sub-6,000 mintage coin here. I dropped off a small batch to PCGS just yesterday afternoon (and plan to give them a bigger batch next week) so I would expect to begin offering coins out on my site in early January (and possibly ebay). I have only run a handful of ads on ebay the entire year and have really enjoyed the break. But, this may be a coin for ebay also. As always, just my two cents. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    tlake22tlake22 Posts: 299 ✭✭
    mintage 5612.
  • Options

<< <i>mintage 5612. >>

Actually, final week sales report is 5612. It does not count returns and order cancellations. Final net mintage may not be known for several years, and if past experience is any guide it will be considerably lower.

• Options
    tlake22tlake22 Posts: 299 ✭✭
    that is true
  • Options
    Proof coin back ordered. A proof key emerging?
  • Options
    Total mintage proof+uncirculated
    Macarthur new king.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I recall the Army proof was the lowest at ~17k. MacArthur could topple that if they sellout as fast as the Unc did after b/o.

Oddly tho, the proofs never seem to carry a big premium for low mintages. Seem hard to pass up right now at below $400 each. Legs?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Following is the latest update By Louis Golino for Coinweek

"The gold $5 uncirculated coin in the Five Star Generals program, which honors Gen. Douglas MacArthur, one of the most famous and controversial generals in American history, is a coin I have been recommending for months. On December 23 the coin unexpectedly sold out as most people expected it to be on sale through the last day of the year. The latest sales figure for the coin is 5,612, which is only 438 more than the 1997 Jackie Robinson $5 coin that is the lowest mintage coin in the $5 gold commemorative series. The sales figure for the 2013 coin may be adjusted a little, but as the new 2nd lowest mintage coin, it is now in great demand. Secondary prices immediately jumped to a minimum mark-up of 50% over the $400 issue price to as much as $1500 for a PCGS MS70 first strike coin."
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a 2 coin unc US Mint packed unopened set go away at $1595 Buy it now...
  • Options
    A few ngc ms70er have just been listed at 1295. Now the market is somewhat more balanced, which is important to maintain a healthy market in the long run. Hopefully, some big dealer will step up to make a market in the near future.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file