Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

5 Star Generals MacArthur Gold Soldout !! Clad half dollar soldout

12346»

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1995-W Silver Eagle and the 1997 unc. Jackie Robinson did not start seriously rising in price until a few years after they were issued. I suspect the same will hold true for the MacArthur $5 and the clad half. In addition, the weak economy and the super-low mintages of some of the other Mint offerings are probably helping keep prices in check.

This. Especially the weak economy part. Premiums have been eaten up, and this is to be expected. They may never recover, and these same factors may also continue to force the trend of lower mintages down even further. We saw this with Plats as the economy started having troubles, and now it's affecting Modern Gold as well.

The two-edged sword cuts both ways. If the economy turns around and spendable incomes increase, both spot metal prices and premiums will take off, so any ultra-low mintage issues made now will become the new keys. Same as it always was.

If the economy simply doesn't improve, you can expect the bullion value of silver, gold and platinum to become the predominant consideration. Even if today's keys lose their numismatic premiums, their values as bullion will still have advantages over fiat currency - in my opinion.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I bought the 50c D PCGS MS70 coin two weeks ago on eBay....best offer accepted was $1,900. I've now got the complete Generals set of 6 PCGS 70 FS in 50c/$1/$5G in MS/PF (excluding the 50c coin, which is not FS...there's only 1 of those out there, and it's not for sale).

I also bought 10 of these coins from the Mint in mid-December....sent them all in to PCGS in early January and got back 9 69's and 1 67. Blech. Gonna sell them on eBay.

I understand that there will be an increase in the number of 70's as people send in their coins for grading, but the quality from Denver on this issue really sucks...which is going to keep the total pop of this coin in 70 grade very, very low. I expect to see the 50c Proof pop increase, but only expect a slight handful of the D's to increase.

Mine are all tucked away for the duration and will not be available for sale for a couple of decades.

Crazy stuff. Happy collecting!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file