Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The official 2014 Topps Heritage thread

Comments

• Options
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Heritage has been delayed.

New street date is March 14th. Distributors were notified via email of a delay.

I am bummed. Especially since I took vacation days off for this.

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Bummer!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure why Topps would put more of anything into any particular case. Heritage sells out, year after year. >>

This is true. But it seems like they are always looking to sell more. Just wishful thinking.
  • Options

<< <i>Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Heritage has been delayed.

Craig from Texas >>

Must be the weather...... Damn global warming..... image
  • Options
    Wow! Reported to be delayed again until the 14th. Would explain why retail was a no show this weekend and the rough pix...still coming off the factory floor.
    Check out my Collection @ http://www.zistle.com/YankeesNYY
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Have to wonder if they have more to sell, so they push it back a week to get more out the door
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Heritage has been delayed.

Craig from Texas >>

That stinks. Releasing the week of kids Spring Break is the worst possible release date for me. Now I hope it gets pushed back until March 17th or later.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Since there is a delay I am sure this product will be redemption free! image
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Guys,

You have to consider the product content form a target marketing standpoint. Most heritage collectors are old-school folks, previously disenfranchised from the hobby, looking to relive the simpler days of collecting from their youth. They aren't just people who were kids from 1952-1965 but include folks like me who collected as kids in the 1970s and 1980s. For many of us in that later era, we only dreamed of getting cards from the 50s and 60s. I have been dealing exclusively in heritage for 10 years now, and have sold to thousands of customers....the one story I hear all the time (at least several per month), is "I love these cards, reminds me of my youth.....I quit collecting years ago but these cards have brought me back in". And in fact, that is my personal story too.

This target market typically has no interest in game used, or in chrome/shiny cards. Those things aren't what drive people to collect heritage....those people collect topps chrome or bowman or other high-end products that i am probably not familiar with. The autos are nice for sure, and even the old-schoolers probably enjoy those. But what this heritage group really loves is to collect and build the master set (base, inserts, sp's, and variations).

What heritage has done really well in the last 2 years is increase the variations so that people who love to sort, collect, and complete the master set have more interest. By adding the color variations, retail variations, logo variations, SSP's etc, they have given folks who like to complete a master set, more to go after. Rather than just a few SUPER short prints that are impossible, they have different levels of variation availability which gives each person the option of figuring out what their version of a master set is. I have no problem with some of the inserts being really tough to find, as long as there are plenty that are relatively easy, like the image swaps of 2012, and the action shots of 2013. Then you have your more challenging ones like the color swaps of 2012, and the gray color variations of 2013. Finally you have your really tough SSP's.

The nice thing about the challenging or tougher ones is that if you want to sell, you have more opportunities to recoup just a little bit of the cost of your break. In the older days, the autos fell about the same as they do now (and the # of hof'ers is about the same (except 2009 which had none)), but you had minimal chance at a valuable variation.

You can see they have gradually phased out the chrome content, which i am sure bothers some....but from my experience, chrome heritage is a dead market - although I personally like the refractor chromes. Non-stars sell for ~.50 each on ebay....getting more than a buck or so is rare....and its not because of oversupply...there is NO demand for it....which makes sense when you consider the heritage audience. I hardly ever get requests for game used or chrome/refractors from customers, maybe 1 out of every 25 wantlists i see have any of these on them.

Edited for clarity.
  • Options
    If anyone hits a Bo or a Saberhagan auto and wants to trade, hold it for me!
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Topps is a joke. It is very apparent by the lack of pictures of anything high end that this product will be a huge miss. I'm out.

walt
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Topps is a joke. It is very apparent by the lack of pictures of anything high end that this product will be a huge miss. I'm out.

walt >>

yeah right
  • Options
    Nice post parkerj
    I think you nailed why I'm dipping in this year
    Looking for a real collector experience and I can't find vintage in volume.
  • Options
    Walt, if you are really out, then don't p*ss on our parade.
  • Options
    parkerj,

You are so right...

I decided to jump in with 2014 Heritage, and I love it... almost done with a regular set plus SPs, and I'm now working to get as much of the set autographed. Brings me back to my days as a kid, and has made it possible for me to share the hobby with my son without spending a fortune.

I'm not a fan of the chrome cards. My son likes them, so I give them to him to play with.

But so far so good - got the Darvish Error, and I also got a Topps Venezuelan Action Variation of Felix Hernandez signed.

• Options

<< <i>
    I decided to jump in with 2014 Heritage, and I love it... almost done with a regular set plus SPs, >>

What???? Retail is out?
  • Options
    I think he meant 2013 he started....
  • Options

<< <i>I think he meant 2013 he started.... >>

Me too, but I'm hoping for the alternative!
  • Options
    My kids love the chrome cards too....my son drove me to complete the purple refractor set last year (he is 6) because he likes the color. It will probably happen to me again this year too. He actually pulls out the different heritage chrome refractor binders i have and leafs through the sheets from time to time.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I was just on another board someone posted that heritage is delayed until the 14th is this true?
  • Options
    Unfortunately, it is. Makes me want to do what Jim did and open up some older Heritage to tide me over.

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    Sorry for getting your hopes up...

Slept 6 hours total last 3 days. image

I was talking about 2013 Heritage.

Can't wait to get a few boxes of 2014!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unfortunately, it is. Makes me want to do what Jim did and open up some older Heritage to tide me over.

Craig from Texas >>

Can agree 100%. Through the years have had to resist going into my stock of 2003/2004.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

<< <i>My kids love the chrome cards too....my son drove me to complete the purple refractor set last year (he is 6) because he likes the color. It will probably happen to me again this year too. He actually pulls out the different heritage chrome refractor binders i have and leafs through the sheets from time to time. >>

That is a great story. My son is 7 and has fun breaking pack with Daddy.
  • Options

<< <i>That is a great story. My son is 7 and has fun breaking pack with Daddy. >>

The real key is to teach your children how "fun" it is to sort the cards! Unfortunately my children are too old to trick anymore so I have to pay them to sort.
  • Options
    Good one...my older boys 10&12, have outgrown the cards altogether, but my 7 yr old will even sit there and sort them with me...the other two never did that, so i am taking as much advantage of that as i can! But when ripping packs, even he just goes right to the middle "hit" card(s) to see what we got in that pack. Base cards already bore him...unless its David Ortiz....oh well.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Don't feel bad about your kids losing interest in the hobby....my son just turned 20 and I could probably go thru all the cards he collected when he was younger, sell them and replace with 88 Donruss and he probably wouldn't even notice......

al.
  • Options
    Here to post my annual "please contact me about your Dave Nicholson buybacks" post image

either PM here or charliephilpott at yahoo dot com
  • Options
    I think I got one of Nicholson -- let me check for you later this week.
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • Options

<< <i>I think I got one of Nicholson -- let me check for you later this week. >>

Sweet!
  • Options

<< <i>Here to post my annual "please contact me about your Dave Nicholson buybacks" post image

either PM here or charliephilpott at yahoo dot com >>

So is there a connection between you and Dave N?
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • Options

I guess I still don't need to be checking the retail stores, yet?
  • Options
    The retail Topps Heritage watch officially starts on Monday the 10th. image

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    I was at my local Target this morning and no Heritage. They had there shipment of cards sitting on the cart in boxes so I took a look and there was none.....some discounted boxes of crown royale football and new wrestling but no heritage....
  • Options
    Since we're on retail watch hold, I'm focusing on housekeeping issues…and eventually testing the scan upload instructions the Mick sent me. Anyway, believe it or not, I like the Topps Heritage baseball buy backs, and would rather have one of those with the dinged corners and dreaded stamp, than Gilligan's Island and the like. I bet the life time topps guys like Craig are probably cracking their knuckles for a stiff rebuttal on this. At any rate, I haven't been able to track down a checklist with buy back names and teams over the years. I'm trying to pick them up here and there when reasonable, but the sketchy details make it hard to search. Any assistance from the group on a checklist would be appreciated.
    Check out my Collection @ http://www.zistle.com/YankeesNYY
  • Options
    You might be hard pressed to find a 1962 Topps buyback of him. His 1962 Topps card was a high number shortprint so it's very likely that Topps made 0 or 1 of that card.

Craig from Texas

<< <i>Here to post my annual "please contact me about your Dave Nicholson buybacks" post image

• Options
    Boo - that this isn't coming out today image
  • Options
    I believe the annual write-up each year states "every card" or "a set" of throwbacks or something like this. When I re-read this a couple of years back, I took it that there was at least one card that made up each set would be available.
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Is there actually a market of buyers for the stamped throwbacks? I have a several accumulated through the years of Heritage, they don't really fit into my collection.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options

<< <i>Is there actually a market of buyers for the stamped throwbacks? I have a several accumulated through the years of Heritage, they don't really fit into my collection. >>

I agree. I didn't know anyone was collecting them outside of superstars or player collectors. What year did they start, 2007?

I stopped opening them the past couple of years, my thinking is that they may be "more valuable" unopened twenty years from now.
  • Options
    You would be surprised what they sell for. I have seen many star stamped cards sell for more than originals. This is why Topps probably keeps ruining, err, I mean, stamping originals with that fugly 50th anniversary gold stamp year after year.

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    Like they did with the "RC", it would be nice if they upgraded that stamp to something a little more subtle, (and cooler)...

Although maybe they have for this year..... found this on EBAY:

But this was from another set. I just hope they try this stamp this year.
  • Options

Compared to this classic Topps buyback: (also on EBay)

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

The 1965 topps design might be the best of all time.
    Even the common cards pop out to me, the set must be dynamite to see in person.

<< <i>Like they did with the "RC", it would be nice if they upgraded that stamp to something a little more subtle, (and cooler)...

Although maybe they have for this year..... found this on EBAY:

image >>

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options

<< <i>Compared to this classic Topps buyback: (also on EBay)

image >>

a shame, you would have thought the stamping could have been placed on the other side....probably a machine just popping it on the cards with no regard as to how it looks.
  • Options
    I pulled a 61 Hank Aaron all-star card a couple years ago. I know it sold for more than a non-stamped version. Don't remember what it sold for though
  • Options

<< <i>

So is there a connection between you and Dave N? >>

He is my grandpa image

And I know this isn't saying much in the grand scheme of the card collecting hobby, but I believe I have by far the most comprehensive collection out there.

Dave Nicholson Collection
  • Options

<< <i>You might be hard pressed to find a 1962 Topps buyback of him. His 1962 Topps card was a high number shortprint so it's very likely that Topps made 0 or 1 of that card.

Craig from Texas

>>

Was told by whomever runs topps' twitter account that they bought back "at least" 20, but that was a blatant lie.

It is listed on Beckett, but I have never even heard a rumor of 1, let alone seen any listed.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

So is there a connection between you and Dave N? >>

He is my grandpa image

And I know this isn't saying much in the grand scheme of the card collecting hobby, but I believe I have by far the most comprehensive collection out there.

Dave Nicholson Collection >>

That's great to have a grandfather that played major league ball. I'm opening 6 cases and if I pull a Nicholson it's yours.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome, Charlie.