Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The official 2014 Topps Heritage thread

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I truly hope there are no "issues" for the 2014 Heritage, as I have been looking forward to this once I knew it would entail the 1965 design. This being my #1 set design favorite. I like the use of the pennant as a backdrop for the team name and also like the white borders.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    I thought I would share that Ken Retzer has an autographed card in the set. I recently sent him a TTM auto request and I received my item back and this gem as well. A similar thing happened to me a few years ago with Hal Naragon in the 1962-styled set.

I decided to buy 3 cases this year and can't wait for them to arrive.

Retzer
  • Options
    Finally heard back from Topps. They said no need to worry about a further delay. Set your calendars for Friday March 7th and be on the lookout earlier than that at your local Target and Walmart.

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    Hey guys,

I may have an extra hobby case if anyone's interested. Let me know

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>Finally heard back from Topps. They said no need to worry about a further delay. Set your calendars for Friday March 7th and be on the lookout earlier than that at your local Target and Walmart.

Craig from Texas >>

Great news, I'll start looking for retail next weekend. Topps series 1 blasters had coupons for 5.00 off Heritage value boxes(blasters?) I hope Topps releases the checklist soon.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Ken Retzer, played only 237 games. Lifetime .264 average. He retired after the 64 season which means he has nothing to do with the 1965 season. #Thankstopps
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    OK, But that is like Mantle's 1969 Card. He had nothing to do with the 69 season.

Edited: [ Not comparing the two players ]. Just that the 1965 card was his last.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought I would share that Ken Retzer has an autographed card in the set. I recently sent him a TTM auto request and I received my item back and this gem as well. A similar thing happened to me a few years ago with Hal Naragon in the 1962-styled set.

I decided to buy 3 cases this year and can't wait for them to arrive.

Retzer >>

LOL - very cool.
  • Options

<< <i>OK, But that is like Mantle's 1969 Card. He had nothing to do with the 69 season.

Edited: [ Not comparing the two players ]. Just that the 1965 card was his last. >>

Right. If he had a card in the 1965 set, then I'm ok with it.
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

<< <i>How many years do you all think we have left of Heritage? >>

I hope they AT LEAST go through 1981 (2030 Topps Heritage?). I absolutely LOVE the 1979s. But I think they should go through 1991, the last year before the cards got plasticy.
  • Options

<< <i>Finally heard back from Topps. They said no need to worry about a further delay. Set your calendars for Friday March 7th and be on the lookout earlier than that at your local Target and Walmart.

Craig from Texas >>

So starting this weekend... are we on the "Retail Watch"...

Looking forward to first scans and posts.....
  • Options
    Special thanks to Craig for sending me a stack of green chromes I needed for my set. I have been trading with Craig since heritage started. If you google it you can find one of those early
    2001 heritage posts archived. Before I pulled my first autograph, I thought the set was kinda of silly and thought this would never sell....ha ha, so much I know. Thanks Craig!

Walt
  • Options
    oh and I am down to needing these green chromes from 2011, if anyone has them!

92-34-18-1
  • Options
    Retail Watch it is! And no full checklist yet!
    Check out my Collection @ http://www.zistle.com/YankeesNYY
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Looks like we could have some good trading this year. We have a bunch of people posting on this thread.
  • Options
    I am planning to record my case break for posterity - in event there is a big pull it's fun to have.
    Hoping for some mattingly and O'Neill autos - hope there are som nice surprises in that checklist.

I have a feeling I'm going to want to chase something after the base and sp set. Look forward to trading on the boards.
  • Options

I'm hoping the variations are more than one per case-

I would like to get these:

Throwback uniform Variations Cards featuring subjects in throwback uniforms. NEW!

Logo Variations - Alternate logo variations for star players. HOBBY ONLY. NEW!

I think they have potential, but if they are similar to the Senators last year, then they are just another SSP used to move product. And not intended for the collector.

• Options
    With 2014 Topps Heritage being only 10 days away, and there isn't much in the way of previews, I thought it would be fun for the loyal members here to post a picture of your best Heritage pull of all-time or of a Heritage card in your collection. Here is my best from 2011. I pulled it from a pack back in 2011 and sold it for $241.35.

What is your best pull or Heritage card? Let's show them off!! I know this is a 2014 Topps Heritage thread and I would like to keep it that way so let's only do this until 2014 Topps Heritage news starts rolling in.

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    I'm in Craig...

• Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Joe could just dominate this thread...where's the autoproof?

but, here is my best pull (also now in joe's collection!) #/25

runner-ups: (all #/25) and all pulled from packs:

Favorite autos pulled from packs:

Some classic heritage goodness:
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are my top 3 Heritage pulls (Great idea Craig!)

One of my faves from my favorite team:

Pulled before he was suspended...

Sorta bummed about the "6", but oh well...

Just locked in my case, can't wait!
  • Options
    Jimbo,

I Thought I'd show a few that don't get seen as often:

• Options
    Guys...how are you able to post such high quality pix. Everytime I try using my windows 7 laptop the forum gives me a too large message. 100kb max. When I reduce it, the pix obviously looks terrible like my icon. No problems on other forums.
  • Options
    Sorry, no scan, but mine would be a 2008 Heritage high number chrome, C285, Jerry Hairston, Jr. Someday I'd like to do a survey and see how many of these cards are out there. I've only seen twelve for sale with no serial number higher than 0174/1958.
  • Options
    Here is a scan of my Jerry Hairston, Jr. 0103/1958. I opened a case of 2008 high numbers at $38 a box (awesome price considering the frequency of autographs at one per three to four boxes) at a Tristar show in Houston back in 2009. I knew about the production problem of this card and was showing it off to people when I pulled it. People thought I was crazy because "there are 1,958 of them!". However, there aren't but 100 or less out there most likely. I ended up selling this card for $305.09. It is still the most expensive selling Heritage card I have ever sold in my Topps Heritage history.

Keep these scans coming! Would like to see some more really awesome scans! Thanks!

Craig from Texas

<< <i>Sorry, no scan, but mine would be a 2008 Heritage high number chrome, C285, Jerry Hairston, Jr. Someday I'd like to do a survey and see how many of these cards are out there. I've only seen twelve for sale with no serial number higher than 0174/1958. >>

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Great idea - I've pulled some doozies over the years but this was my first and the card that got me back into the hobby. Still have it too:

• Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    what were the production issues with the hairston? have we ever had any word on why there are so few of them out there?
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, Topps acknowledged that their was a production issue with the Hairston but never went into great detail about it. This made presellers crazy trying to complete Chrome sets.

Craig from Texas

<< <i>what were the production issues with the hairston? have we ever had any word on why there are so few of them out there? >>

• Options
    Don't you just hate it when a show on TV has been going on for several seasons and you want to start watching it but would first like to start from the beginning? Well, the Topps Heritage show, started by John Basilone. is now in its TENTH season. Nothing will quite get you ready for 2014 Topps Heritage than reliving those old episodes by tuning in here:

The OFFICIAL 2005 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2006 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2007 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2008 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2008 Topps Heritage High Number Thread

The OFFICIAL 2009 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2009 Topps Heritage High Number Thread

The OFFICIAL 2010 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2011 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2012 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2013 Topps Heritage Thread

I hope you all enjoy this. Reading some of these has really given me the Heritage itch!

Craig from Texas

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I love these threads!!
  • Options
    There were heritage threads for all the years. The message boards used to be a little different. Perhaps someone can find those old threads somewhere.

W
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    The first few years of Heritage threads were a lot of fun. Lots of good people were in the mix back then (not that there aren't good people now), and LOTS of trading took place. Sadly, Heritage is not what it once was (at least not in my opinion), and a good portion of that crowd is no longer around. That to me is the biggest shame.
  • Options

<< <i>The first few years of Heritage threads were a lot of fun. Lots of good people were in the mix back then (not that there aren't good people now), and LOTS of trading took place. Sadly, Heritage is not what it once was (at least not in my opinion), and a good portion of that crowd is no longer around. That to me is the biggest shame. >>

maybe because topps made the big hits harder and harder to pull. I mean, some years if you pulled anything of value out of a case you had to forgo offering it for trade in order to make
    some money back. It makes no sense to me why topps over the years has made the chrome parallels harder and harder to pull. When you are just pulling base cards and one overproduced game used card out of an entire box, it kills the idea of trading. It just seems like many people who open heritage (not necessarily here), but others just rip it and flip it on ebay the minute
    they get it. The amount of base cards and SP base cards up on ebay for a dime a piece or 2 dollars a piece get tedious when you are looking for auctions.

Sadly I don't foresee anything in 2014 heritage that looks like it will bring back those old days.8 SP, maybe 4 or 5 inserts, and a few chromes isn't much in a box. Topps bonehead move to
    move all the stars in heritage to other chrome sets, and leave heritage with a 110 card set of nobodies, killed things too.

Still, lots to collect. I look forward to trading again this year.

Walt
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, no scan, but mine would be a 2008 Heritage high number chrome, C285, Jerry Hairston, Jr. Someday I'd like to do a survey and see how many of these cards are out there. I've only seen twelve for sale with no serial number higher than 0174/1958. >>

It was one of my greatest flips in Ebay history. I bought a set for $79. I asked the seller repeatedly if the Hairston chrome card was included and not just the refractor. He said it was. Ended up selling the Hairston card for $300 and got rid of the chrome set later too for about $80.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is a scan of my Jerry Hairston, Jr. 0103/1958. I opened a case of 2008 high numbers at $38 a box (awesome price considering the frequency of autographs at one per three to four boxes) at a Tristar show in Houston back in 2009. I knew about the production problem of this card and was showing it off to people when I pulled it. People thought I was crazy because "there are 1,958 of them!". However, there aren't but 100 or less out there most likely. I ended up selling this card for $305.09. It is still the most expensive selling Heritage card I have ever sold in my Topps Heritage history.

Keep these scans coming! Would like to see some more really awesome scans! Thanks!

Craig from Texas

>>

You beat me by $5.

Hey - question for Walt, Craig or anybody who might know....the 2001 Clubhouse Collection cards from the first year. Anyone know a production value on them? They aren't numbered, but I've heard rumors of 100 each. I'm hoarding one particular card...just curious what really exists.
  • Options
    Thank God Hairston isn't a Yankee…I'm having enough trouble completing my sets on a decent budget.
  • Options
    My best pulls were in 2003. All autos. Ernie Banks, 2 Tommy Lasorda, 2 Phil Rizzuto. Sold many years ago.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>Don't you just hate it when a show on TV has been going on for several seasons and you want to start watching it but would first like to start from the beginning? Well, the Topps Heritage show, started by John Basilone. is now in its TENTH season. Nothing will quite get you ready for 2014 Topps Heritage than reliving those old episodes by tuning in here:

The OFFICIAL 2005 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2006 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2007 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2008 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2008 Topps Heritage High Number Thread

The OFFICIAL 2009 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2009 Topps Heritage High Number Thread

The OFFICIAL 2010 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2011 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2012 Topps Heritage Thread

The OFFICIAL 2013 Topps Heritage Thread

I hope you all enjoy this. Reading some of these has really given me the Heritage itch!

Craig from Texas >>

Being new to this Forum I appreciate these locater links for past threads such as Heritage. I too am a fan of Heritage, especially the upcoming 2014 version. Thanks again.
  • Options
    If Topps follows history this year, we could see:

-Name Color Variations for multiple players and SSP name color variation ala Mike Shannon, Cardinals Red Name
    -Name MisSpelling Jim Kaat Twins
    -Clemente Pittsburfh misspelling 2 years running…Bryce Harper Error Repeat for 2014???
    -Vic Power Angels and Hector Lopez YANKEES birthdate error 2 years running, Willie McCovey Giants Birthday printed with Team mate Willie Mays' date…Darvish, Rafael Betancourt & Tillman had ERR birth dates in 2013 set. May we see a repeat of one or two of them to replicate Power's & Lopez's repeats?
    -Lew Krausse Athletics wrong picture
    -Don Pavletich Reds wrong position
    -Bob Uecker Cardinals batting left
    -Athletics Rookie Stars Jim Catfish Hunter listed on back as Tim

Hat Tip Cardboard Connection for some of this info.
  • Options

Yes, I think they will mirror those errors. Unfortunately they are few and far between. I found the Darvish birth date error, which I think was the first SSP I found, and I was underwhelmed.

I guess if I sold it for $300 or something it would be a big deal, but I don't think these "chase" cards (especially these minor errors) are a big deal. The guys at Topps are trying, though.
  • Options
    2001 Clubhouse Collection autograph or base relic?
  • Options

The old threads are great. At some point there should be a thread that is just a link to all old Heritage threads....
    That way it won't be ... "yeah... I think it was posted on page 10 of the Official 2014 Heritage thread..." five years from now.

Looking back, I remembered always liking a post from Perkdog. Can't remember why though.... image
  • Options
    just confirmed with a topps rep that info on heritage will be hitting today. Checklist and twitter pics. Merry Christmas!

W
  • Options
    Thanks for the great news Walt!

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    Now we're talking Walt!!! I've been holding off on participating in a case or box break until I can see my team cards odds. Last year seemed to have been minimal on the relics and autos. Odds on the dual stuff is obviously longer. Things are ramping up now.
  • Options
    It's on track to release March 7th so I suggest you get on the ride and hang on!

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    If those guys on the front of the box are on the real one checklist then I am in big time!