Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The official 2014 Topps Heritage thread

Comments

• Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys - I have mainly been a vintage collector but I am thinking of jumping into the Heritage fun. I didn't think I would like the shiny cards, but I find I like the chrome parallels.

Sorry for the rookie questions, but are the chrome refractors and the chrome cards the same thing? Also I get that the black and gold chrome are limited versions of the chrome cards, but are the other color cards unique to the type of pack (like a blaster pack or packs exclusive to Wal-mart)?

Thanks!
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    Chrome and chrome refractors are not the same
    Refractors are basically derivatives of the chrome which in general are derivatives of the base card (bowman chrome series is the exception where there are no base cards).

Each series has a different chrome refractor parallel scheme.

Don't forget that there are paper base parallels too.

I'm not to clear on the heritage yet - there is a breakdown earlier in this thread.

With heritage the paper base cards are nice enough on their own. Good stock and of course cool designs.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi guys - I have mainly been a vintage collector but I am thinking of jumping into the Heritage fun. I didn't think I would like the shiny cards, but I find I like the chrome parallels.

Sorry for the rookie questions, but are the chrome refractors and the chrome cards the same thing? Also I get that the black and gold chrome are limited versions of the chrome cards, but are the other color cards unique to the type of pack (like a blaster pack or packs exclusive to Wal-mart)?

Thanks! >>

rookie questions are fine. The more the merrier!

chromes will be parallels of the base card, they will be numbered to 1965, or 999 or something like that.
    refractors will be numbered to about 565, they usually fall about 1 in every 30 or so packs.
    black chromes will be numbered to 65 and golds to just 5. I believe you can only find golds in hobby packs. Black chromes can be found across the board. Maybe 1 a case if you are lucky?

There will be walmart and target exclusives, but those won't be chrome cards they will be paper.

Hope this helps

walt
  • Options
    Walt,

Don't forget the black bordered non-chrome parallels to the chromes and the green bordered or purple bordered or whatever-color-border-they'll-be-this-year refractors found one per pack in hobby hot boxes.

Bob
  • Options
    All in...

Second time I've ordered a case. Got mine from blowout last week for $730. I have a few panel needs from the past few years and a stack to deal if anyone has any for trade/sell.

2009 TOPPS HERITAGE AD PANEL BOX-TOPPERS: Pujols/Haren/Danks

2009 TOPPS HERITAGE HIGH AD PANEL BOX-TOPPERS: Crede/Hernandez/Lyon, Reed/Nix/Sadowski, Carroll/Chavez/Kennedy, Wells/Gregg/Howell, Scales/Zavada/Jaramillo, Soriano/Gload/Mazzaro, a panel with Scott Hairston on it - I don't care which panel, Borbon/Hoffpauir/Hernandez, and Hampton/J. Hairston/Downs

2010 TOPPS HERITAGE AD PANEL BOX-TOPPERS: LaPorta, Bochy, LaRussa, Dempster, Quentin, AL Avg. Leaders, W. Rodriguez, Stoner, Pettitte, Guillen, Perkins, Beckham, Cain, Murphy, D. Hernandez, Cuddyer, Thome, Beltre, NL K Leaders, J. Hairson, Rolen, Schumaker, Shields, Headley, Rollins, Hamels, Huff, Santos, Kershaw, Butler, Millwood, Hamilton(2), Oswalt, H. Rodriguez, Pence, Jurrjens, and Pujols (I am looking for one card of each player, so if only one player on this list is on the panel, I need the entire panel)

2011 TOPPS HERITAGE ADVERTISING PANELS: Babe as a boy/Buehrle/Galarraga, Chamberlain/Rasmus/Floyd, Damon/Soriano/Weaver, Martinez/Duke/Trumbo, Napoli/Markakis/Lucroy, Pettitte/Kinsler/Upton, and Scott/Rhodes/SF Giants

2012 TOPPS HERITAGE ADVERTISING PANELS: NL Batting Leaders, Mauer, Red Sox Smashers, Gregg, DeFraus, Betemit, Kubel, Walden, Latos, Hellickson, Polanco, Eovaldi, Davis, Craig, Mattingly, Marmol, NL HR Leaders, Guerrero, Vargas, Shuck, Roberts, 4-in-1 Rookies, Hundley, Hughes, Schierholz, Tigers Twisters, Ramirez, Soria, Hurdle, and Constanza (I am looking for one card of each player, so if only one player on this list is on the panel, I need the entire panel)

I also need a few of the bits/gimmicks/Super Short Prints - whatever you want to call them from prior years

2011 TOPPS HERITAGE GREEN TINT VARIATIONS:
    135 Babe as a Boy
    142 Babe Coaching for the Dodgers
    143 Babe Greatest Sports Hero
    147 Joakim Soria
    158 Atlanta Braves Team Card
    175 Adam Dunn
    179 Mat Latos

2011 TOPPS HERITAGE BASEBALL BUCKS: BB85 (Hamilton $10), BB87 (Andrus $1), BB88 (Young $10), and BB89 (Kinsler $5)

2012 TOPPS HERITAGE: 15(no position on front), 29(1962 Rookie Stars), 341(team name in black, red diagonal thru inset photo), 380(complete major and minor league record on back), 454(card # in orange), and 483(W in Runs column)

2013 TOPPS HERITAGE: 46(Senators variation), 56(Senators variation), 432(Senators variation), and 440(Senators variation)
    2013 TOPPS HERITAGE COLOR SWAP VARIATIONS: 90, 100, 125, 183, 200, 246, 250, 425, 428, 430, 440, 447, 448, 450, 455, 463, 467, 474, and 480
    2013 TOPPS HERITAGE BLACK CHROME REFRACTORS: HC95 - Olt/Profar
    2013 TOPPS HERITAGE VENEZUELAN BLACK BACKS: 479 - Ian Kinsler (I've been told this card doesn't exist)

Sorry for the long read. Good to see everyone again. Looking forward to all the trades.

Matt
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Walt,

Don't forget the black bordered non-chrome parallels to the chromes and the green bordered or purple bordered or whatever-color-border-they'll-be-this-year refractors found one per pack in hobby hot boxes.

Bob >>

The color variations are the ones that confused me - thanks for the help guys. I am in for this year!
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options

<< <i>Walt,

Bob >>

The Purple Refractors could also be found in retail blaster hot boxes of 2013 Heritage. I really wish Topps would have numbered these as they do the other refractors, so we would have an idea of how many are out there.

Brad
  • Options
    yes I forgot a few of them. To be clear there has been a few hot box sets. These are un-numbered chrome sets that are found in every pack in one box in a case. They were green chromes
    in 2011 and purple chromes in 2013. Exact parallels of the regular chrome set, except not numbered on the back.

I will also add in a black paper parallel set that was exclusive to rack packs I believe. These are NOT the same as the chrome parallels which are very hard to pull. It is also worth noticing that
    the rookie cards were almost identical to the regular cards in the paper black set because of the design you couldn't tell the difference. I believe that the code number on the back would be different. The paper set have never interested me.

W
  • Options

<< <i>The Steriod era may be over for Baseball players, but it definitely isn't over for baseball cards. I only have a few cards remaining in my attainable GU & Stadium relics want list, so the last 2 wkds several came up, as well as the unaffordable ones. I watched a 2008 berra relic auction for $36+, while the BIN sat at $25. 2001 Rizzuto blue ink went for $120, and I've been picking his autos up for less than $75. 2010 mantle seat relic (not even a bat) went for $40, and they typically auction for $31-$35. The Roger Maris Chase relic #5 1/9 went for an astonishing $91. I suppose the pockets were empty at that point b/c the 7/7 mantle chase relic #-13 only went for $87 and the #-5 relic went for $51 (still not sure if I should've bid that one). Meanwhile, every time I added the stupid Chase Bat Dog for the 2013 Trenton Thunder Topps Heritage Minor League team to my watch list to combine purchases and shipping, someone was buying it out from underneath me. Anyway, I managed to pick up a 2011 Maris Stadium Seat Card for $12 & a black border Gumbs auto #/50 for $5. Maybe the the Chase Bat Dog card will come up again next weekend. Less than 3wks until 2014 TH release & I still don't see a checklist circulating! My apologies for the verbal diarrhea. >>

That Berra is one of three cards I need to finish the 2008 set. Bummed I missed the BIN. I've seen that card go for greater than $50.
  • Options
    I'm going through my 2013 Heritage set tonight. I didn't realize how thin the card stock really is. Wow. Feels like a base set.
  • Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've been begging Topps to release info on Heritage but at this point they are tight lipped. The only thing that I know for certain is that Keith Olbermann has a Topps Heritage autograph card. This will be the first time that Topps Heritage has featured a non-baseball card in their Real One lineup. To me, I'm disappointed in this. Don't get me wrong, I respect Keith as a card collector and have sold him cards on several occasions, but the fact that Heritage is including KO in its lineup opens the door for other non-baseball autographs to enter the fray. What's next? Mike Tyson? Burt Reynolds? C'mon Topps -- we already have Allen & Ginter. Don't mess with our Heritage!

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I don't know maybe it's me but the auto list I have seen doesn't get me jacked up at all. I always what to add HOF Player auto's this year as well if I can. I just do see anything right now I want.
  • Options
    For those interested in the Keith Olbermann autograph, I have the video posted on my blog:

My Baseball Card Blog

Thanks!

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Well done Craig! You have always added quality articles and viewpoints to our hobby in a classy way and this is another great example of a great pictorial of this little project. I look forward to seeing more of your creative journalism and of course, trades in the future. Good luck in 2014!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    would topps be tight lipped if the product was amazing? I'm guessing no.

The KO auto better be a bonus and not one of the 2 or 3 case autographs.

Walt
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Probably no way to know at this point, but I wonder if the card stock will be as crappy as you guys said it was last year?
  • Options
    If I receive an Olbermann auto, it will ruin my entire box break. It will be almost as bad as getting a redemption card now from a 2001-2012 box break. From the few clips I've seen, I find his humor banal, and his statements rife with error. This is ridiculous!!! Go after HOF or more current stars. Stick with baseball. If I want to collect the idiotic, then I'd go after Garbage Pail Kids or something like that. Topps can keep their Gilligan's Island, Beatles & Jack A$$e$! Keep Heritage REAL and Relevant to baseball set collectors. Give me piece of baseball history, not the hysterical.
    Check out my Collection @ http://www.zistle.com/YankeesNYY
  • Options
    Well, Olbermann was already in Bowman Heritage...and that remains the only Bowman Heritage autograph not in my collection!
  • Options
    Thanks John! I'm such a big fan of Topps Heritage and love following this forum thread every year. It's always exciting to see the pulls from others here as well as information that is shared. I am opening up a few cases on March 5th and hope for something big! Good luck to everyone -- we are now officially only 13 days from the best card collecting day of the year!

Craig from Texas

<< <i>Well done Craig! You have always added quality articles and viewpoints to our hobby in a classy way and this is another great example of a great pictorial of this little project. I look forward to seeing more of your creative journalism and of course, trades in the future. Good luck in 2014! >>

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    If he is already in Bowman and has now moved to Heritage, does that mean we can expect more of the sticker type auto's coming our way? Were the Bowman autos stickers?
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Olbermann told me he signed 100 cards total. Two different poses. On card.

Walt
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've been begging Topps to release info on Heritage but at this point they are tight lipped. The only thing that I know for certain is that Keith Olbermann has a Topps Heritage autograph card. This will be the first time that Topps Heritage has featured a non-baseball card in their Real One lineup. To me, I'm disappointed in this. Don't get me wrong, I respect Keith as a card collector and have sold him cards on several occasions, but the fact that Heritage is including KO in its lineup opens the door for other non-baseball autographs to enter the fray. What's next? Mike Tyson? Burt Reynolds? C'mon Topps -- we already have Allen & Ginter. Don't mess with our Heritage!

Craig from Texas >>

I don't have a problem with KO either. Just kind of weird they would put him in heritage. I don't want topps turning this product into GQ or Ginter. Its perfect the way it has been in the past.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, Topps Heritage has slowly been morphing into an Allen & Ginter type product. Back in 2008, with the introduction of News Flashbacks, we were presented with non-baseball cards in Topps Heritage for the first time. Last year, we were given the Beatles. This year it is King Kong, Flash Gordon, and Gilligan's Island. These gimmicks are annoying. I really wish Topps would get rid of the gimmicks and bring back the quality of product we were accustomed to back in the early 2000's -- very nice Clubhouse Collection Relics and Real One Autographs of Hall of Famers.

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    How does everyone feel about the inclusion of non-era players like Mattingly in the autograph set? Heritage has always been about players who were current, had their last year, or current stars of today. Not sure I dig it, but it is so hard to pull ink or to trade for it these days that it is almost a moot point. I can't wait to pull my first ink.

Walt
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How does everyone feel about the inclusion of non-era players like Mattingly in the autograph set? Heritage has always been about players who were current, had their last year, or current stars of today. Not sure I dig it, but it is so hard to pull ink or to trade for it these days that it is almost a moot point. I can't wait to pull my first ink.

Walt >>

Doesn't seem to make sense, but I think all they care about is the Sell Sheet. To me it felt like they were trying to cram as much extra "chase" junk as they could for marketing "buzz".

I thought more of the success of the Archives Set, bleeding into Heritage because Topps figures it the same customer base.

My preference would be the All- Stars of the particular year... 1965 for 2014. And maybe current year all-stars.

My wish list would be if the Autos were made up of the 1965 All-Star Team (AL and NL).

Throwing in Mattingly and Bo Jackson and Olbermann (especially), makes no sense! (unless I get one, then I may change my mind)

• Options
    For those who have not ordered Heritage yet, now might be a good time to do so. Atlanta Sportscards has cases available at $704.99 delivered. This is $70 less than their main competition. If anyone else sees a cheaper price from a reputable place, please post it to help everyone here out. I'll be opening three cases with a friend in 12 days. Can't wait! For the latest Topps Heritage news, be sure to click on my blog link below. Thanks!

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I only collect the HOF autos (anyone have a 2012 koufax? last one i need to complete the run).

But I would much rather get an autograph of someone interesting than Bob Pernowski, Jerry Snyder, or someone else who only played 1 year in the bigs....those fill-in autos are the lamest....at least the mattingly or olbermann will have resale value on ebay. 2009 had the all-time worst autograph list...not a single hall of famer.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>How does everyone feel about the inclusion of non-era players like Mattingly in the autograph set? Heritage has always been about players who were current, had their last year, or current stars of today. Not sure I dig it, but it is so hard to pull ink or to trade for it these days that it is almost a moot point. I can't wait to pull my first ink.

Walt >>

Don't like it one bit. image
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I disagree on one other point.....heritage is nothing like ginter. they have a single news flashback insert set that has non-baseball folks. That's it. Ginter has all kinds of folks in the base set! as well as all the parallels, etc. I used to love ginter, so i have no problem with their approach, but to compare it to heritage is laughable.
  • Options

I actually don't mine the "News Flashback" subset, (even getting three Mary Poppins' cards). I wish it didn't take the place of the SP. Getting those 75 are tough enough.

And they throw so many extras in that "slot" in the pack, and in the mean time you can get 8-10 common doubles.

Wished those sub sets replaced a common.....
  • Options

Just to keep the thread moving towards release date:

Don't forget about these gems.....

BASE CARD VARIATIONS

Error Cards
    Cards reproducing errors from the 1965 set.

Throwback uniform Variations Cards featuring subjects in throwback uniforms. NEW!

Action Image Variations - Features new images of star players in action. HOBBY ONLY.

Logo Variations - Alternate logo variations for star players. HOBBY ONLY. NEW!

PARALLELS

Black backs
    The base card backs are featured in Black.

Mini Base Variation #'d to 100.

Chrome Base Variation
    - Chrome Refractor Parallel
    - Black-Bordered Chrome Parallel #'d to 65.
    - Gold-Bordered Chrome Parallel #'d to 5. HOBBY ONLY!

BOX LOADERS
    1965 AD PANELS
    3-card strips with an advertisement on the back, featuring a player. HOBBY ONLY.

1965 Topps Originals
    Original cards foil-stamped and inserted in a wrap. HOBBY ONLY.

1965 OVERSIZED Baseball Players
    Styled after the 1965 Presidents & Famous Americans oversized cards. HOBBY ONLY.
    - Insert version limited to 50.
    - Relics #'d to 25.
    - Autographs #'d to 10.

Wish they would release the checklist so I can load it into excel.....

• Options

I think putting together the variations set would be fun... if they ever made it feasible.

• Options
    I think that the variations are always feasible. It's the SSPs that I think go to far. I guess if I ever pulled one, I might feel differently.

How many years do you all think we have left of Heritage? To me, when they start adding autographs for the sake of doing so, and the bland years are ahead, it almost seems to be running its course. I can see them doing what they did in football and having a couple years that have 6 different card designs from 66-90 and then calling it quits.
  • Options

The image swaps and In Action cards were a little easier, the color swaps were basically SSPs, weren't they ?

The 1961 color swaps were tough to pull (0). The 1963's, I think I got one.

The Washington Senators last year were SSP's as well.

I think Heritage is still there bread and butter for a while.

Heck the 2014 Archives set is using 1973, 1980, 1986, 1989. So if they have no problem running out those years......

• Options
    My favorite product of the year, breaking multiple cases with my son. I read on Brentandbeccas twitter that Topps is pushing the release date back to 3/7 Friday.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    Unfortunately, that is true. The date change is now reflected on Blowout and Atlanta's websites. I just hope I'm able to reschedule my vacation to coordinate with my case ripping!! image

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I am out this year. No Heritage for me...Just kidding. I have two and half cases on order. That stinks that it's delayed, and with the lack of details being released so far I would not be surprised if it gets pushed back even later than 3/7.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    They've gotta run it to 1971. That would be a great place to end it. Or 1972.
  • Options
    A twenty five year run would take Heritage to 1976. I think that would be a good place to stop.
    So the release date was pushed back to March 7? I leave that day for eight days in Arizona to catch spring training games with the Reds. I guess I'll be haunting Target and Walmart for blasters until I get home and see if my neighbor remembered to pick up my case for me. I'm sure there will still be a lot of trading going on in mid-March, right?
  • Options

<< <i>A twenty five year run would take Heritage to 1976. I think that would be a good place to stop. >>

Whoa...whoa...whoa... As a child of the 80s, who vividly remembers ripping 1989 Topps packs they need to make it at least there.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    Sorry; when I was a kid (age 6) I was opening 1952 Topps.
  • Options
    1976 Finale would make sense, but design wise it would be rather flat for the final release.

In the absence of a checklist so close to launch, it kind of makes sense to see a delay in release too. Seems like they're having problems putting together the entire product…hope it doesn't mean more redemptions…I wouldn't mind them if they extended out the acceptance period and came through with the actual redemption.

Lastly, on KO auto. Naturally, Heritage should remain pure, as I stated in my last post. But to Walt's post, if Topps won't ante up for more attractive autos, then use it as an insert rather than a substitution. 2008 UD Goudey had a mix of baseball and other sports autos etc. However, each box had a relic and an auto. It made for nice pulls.
    Check out my Collection @ http://www.zistle.com/YankeesNYY
  • Options
    topps has said NOTHING about heritage. The last product before heritage just hit today which means they should be focusing on heritage now on twitter and facebook. I will of course let
    you know if I find out anything from the tight lipped Clay at topps.

Kevin
  • Options
    That could only mean one of two things:

1) The product will be lackluster, full of redemptions, and further delayed.
    2) The product will be the biggest surprise of the year - loaded with autographs!

Now which do you think it will be?

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I hope I'm wrong as you can tell by my user name i am a big heritage guy. But that said i am getting a bad feeling about this years heritage. I can't put my finger on it but just a bad feeling. PLEASE LET ME BE WRONG!!!
  • Options
    So many big rookies in the 1965 set. Carlton, Morgan, Perez, Catfish Hunter. I wonder how many of those guys will get into the autograph checklist. Koufax had his best year also, he has to be in the product! Has there ever been a live Koufax autograph in packs? THAT is a chase card!!

W
  • Options

<< <i>So many big rookies in the 1965 set. Carlton, Morgan, Perez, Catfish Hunter. I wonder how many of those guys will get into the autograph checklist. Koufax had his best year also, he has to be in the product! Has there ever been a live Koufax autograph in packs? THAT is a chase card!!

W >>

Well, Catfish is deceased.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    i'll probably pick up a blaster for fun, then buy the Master Set in the Fall. Worked last year.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>i'll probably pick up a blaster for fun, then buy the Master Set in the Fall. Worked last year. >>

Did the same thing essentially...waited a little longer.

Looks like A GREAT design this year, so hope the cards are nice. Nothing beats breaking a hobby box or two.
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A twenty five year run would take Heritage to 1976. I think that would be a good place to stop. >>

Whoa...whoa...whoa... As a child of the 80s, who vividly remembers ripping 1989 Topps packs they need to make it at least there. >>

Wait a minute, they need to at least get up to 2001 so they can have 2050 Topps Heritage 2001 Topps Heritage buybacks and/or inserts.