Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The official 2014 Topps Heritage thread

Comments

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>i hope they go back to Heritage Card Stock this year. Last year was atrocious >>

It's the only year I haven't really collected. Were the backs white? >>

Yes, white and waaaaay too "glossy" for Heritage.

its similar to the crap paper they used on the 2012 Hi # set
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

Same amount of cards per Blaster. Also notice the color

Then …

2012 Hi # / 2013 / 2012 Low #

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    I know I am a new member but I figured that asking here would get the most answers.I am new to collecting and love the look of the old cards.I was wondering if any of you (Heritage collectors) have any extra Boston Red Sox Cards for sale from any of the past Heritage sets? I would like to have a regular team set from each year.Please help if you can and if this bothers any collectors here please delete.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>topps gave more autographs this year but they were of current guys who really no one wanted. I think the longer odds on some of the hits have turned collectors off. Chrome and refractor odds were very long this year. The normal 3 chromes and one refractor per box were really nice. Set collectors are getting killed on heritage if they can't find like 10 guys to trade with.

I think another big problem with topps company in general is that the turn over is so quick that no one has any history or pride in their work. If you wanted to find out some info on 2001 or 2002
    heritage there isn't a person working for topps who would have more info on that than us. It is just another low end money grab early in the baseball season to them. Keeping with
    tradition isn't important. They owe us long time heritage collectors nothing.

Waalt >>

That's a shame. The set was so much fun to put together here between 2003-2007. Those early sets took me years to finish. So proud of my run on these sets from 2001-2012, but I don't know...I do like the '65 design, so we'll see. The trading doesn't really exist here anymore though. >>

This is still the best place on the net to trade heritage (and ginter), but many people like to rip it and dump it. Don't expect to trade for anything higher end. SSP's and nice autographs almost
    always go on the bay before they are offered here, of course I don't blame anyone, so many box breaks are a losing proposition, you need to recoup some money when you can.

For those looking to dip into heritage and will have questions, this is still the place to be for heritage!

W
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I used to do a bunch of trading here, but I think my ripping habit has changed. I don't open a case all at once, I open a few boxes here, some blaster there, and back to some racks and more boxes. I just finnished up my second set of 2013, took 10+ months. Bur this is still the best place as Walt stated. Maybe this year will be different.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I was doing the same thing. I was putting the set together late spring - early summer, when everyone had moved on.
  • Options
    I have the same all year love of the heritage set. Favorites are 2001-2009 & 2013. I'll have some trades coming up in a couple of months when baseball season starts up again. My wife's been on me to keep the purchases down for a while, and I have a big want list and so/so trade list. I like to save my rips until the game is on. Sit down with my boy and go to town. Hard to wait but worth it.
    Check out my Collection @ http://www.zistle.com/YankeesNYY
  • Options
    I still enjoy trading here...it's the only place I've found to trade/buy Heritage, and the guys on here have always been trustworthy and that means a lot. Also, the knowledge put together here when everyone is ripping is really helpful. Looking forward to getting going again this year!

A little off topic, but has anyone seen a 2013 Clubhouse Collection Josh Hamilton? It's the last one that I need for the set, and I'm not sure that I ever saw one pop up. I'm finding this situation a lot as I go back to fill in the Heritage relics throughout the years that there's always one or two that seem to either be really short printed, or just not manufactured. Anyone else see the same thing?
  • Options

I haven't seen the Hamilton card. Good to see some movement in this thread. Any update on a 2014 complete checklist?

Should be out soon, shouldn't it? I'm never sure where it shows up, except for here.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Supposed to be out about March 6th

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I believe last year's "final" checklist was posted on Beckett on feb 19th. I've also seen it attached to some blogs as part of the pre-release interview the guys manage to get with a topps representative.

Off topic but relevant. When are you granted the privilege of uploading your own icon on this site? No access for me yet. Right now I get my posts confused with the mick.
  • Options

<< <i>Off topic but relevant. When are you granted the privilege of uploading your own icon on this site? No access for me yet. Right now I get my posts confused with the mick. >>

It's one day a month, I believe the 15th. And it won't work with Safari, if you're using that. When the 15th is a Saturday (like this month) I"m not sure when they open it up.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I have been enjoying 44 dollar boxes of 2012 heritage. If anyone needs anything let me know.

W
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    just need two cards to finish off 2013...anyone have these target reds: 126 cueto and 456 sabathia?

plenty of heritage sp's, inserts, and base leftover from 2001-2013...just let me know what you need.

thx, jim
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me what prices hobby stores usually acquire the cases/boxes for?
    I feel bad not buying from my local shop vs online so I'm curious if the shops are at the same price tier as these ebay pre sellers for instance.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options

<< <i>I have been enjoying 44 dollar boxes of 2012 heritage. If anyone needs anything let me know.

W >>

I picked up a couple of 2012 hobby boxes for $40-$45 delivered too. I've still got some 2013 to open this year and of course 2014 coming up. I probably won't open the 2012 boxes until 2015…same thing for my last 2 2011s. I have a lot of wants on my lists still, but I enjoy spreading out box breaks over the baseball season. Mostly focused the last year completing my ROA Blue Ink Autos, Relics & Flashback Stadium Seats.
  • Options

<< <i>just need two cards to finish off 2013...anyone have these target reds: 126 cueto and 456 sabathia?

plenty of heritage sp's, inserts, and base leftover from 2001-2013...just let me know what you need.

thx, jim >>

Jim, got any '09 or '10 ad panels? Still need a few

• Options
    Griff- what do you need? I was just going through my 2009 binder earlier this week and noticed I had a couple of panels in the front. I don't collect them and never got around to listing them. Also have a 2008 with the Braves cards if you need it (Teixeira, Smoltz, Jones-Jones).
  • Options
    86nova86nova Posts: 187 ✭✭

I attended a small card show today at a mall. There is never any Heritage there to speak of. Always same dealers, and same inventory. At the end of the mall was a dealer who i had never seen before. Was stopped in my tracks as he had a 2013 black refractor of Trout in his case. It had been graded by Beckett at a 9.5. I asked to see it, no price on the top. Turned the card over--no price on the back-- hate this, and I knew I was in trouble. Price was $200.00. He would absolutely not budge off that price-- did not want to trade,nothing. Handed it back-would like to have owned it, but felt price a little steep. Good move? Bad move? Craig in Ohio
  • Options

<< <i>I attended a small card show today at a mall. There is never any Heritage there to speak of. Always same dealers, and same inventory. At the end of the mall was a dealer who i had never seen before. Was stopped in my tracks as he had a 2013 black refractor of Trout in his case. It had been graded by Beckett at a 9.5. I asked to see it, no price on the top. Turned the card over--no price on the back-- hate this, and I knew I was in trouble. Price was $200.00. He would absolutely not budge off that price-- did not want to trade,nothing. Handed it back-would like to have owned it, but felt price a little steep. Good move? Bad move? Craig in Ohio >>

The blacks are #'d to 64, right?

I'd say $200 is probably slightly high, but not obscene.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I attended a small card show today at a mall. There is never any Heritage there to speak of. Always same dealers, and same inventory. At the end of the mall was a dealer who i had never seen before. Was stopped in my tracks as he had a 2013 black refractor of Trout in his case. It had been graded by Beckett at a 9.5. I asked to see it, no price on the top. Turned the card over--no price on the back-- hate this, and I knew I was in trouble. Price was $200.00. He would absolutely not budge off that price-- did not want to trade,nothing. Handed it back-would like to have owned it, but felt price a little steep. Good move? Bad move? Craig in Ohio >>

The blacks are #'d to 64, right?

I'd say $200 is probably slightly high, but not obscene. >>

Don't know the pop on it, but I bet it would go for more on Ebay.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Craig

200 would of been pretty good in my opinion, the younger crowd is totally in love with Trout. Only Jeter sells higher these days.

I busted two boxes of 2002 heritage today. One box had the gum melting onto the SP's, damn. I forgot how cruel those early boxes were. I came away with two chromes and one
    Cory Patterson Bat card. Oh well.

W
  • Options
    Walt…I have a lot of Yankees wants on my 2002 checklist (been focusing on Brooklyn Dodgers, NY Giants and Yankees autos). My trade list is a bit light until I start my box breaks again with spring training. Anyway, would love to do a deal for many of the Yankees cards you came up with. Let me know & I'll send want list and trade list…etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Walt…I have a lot of Yankees wants on my 2002 checklist (been focusing on Brooklyn Dodgers, NY Giants and Yankees autos). My trade list is a bit light until I start my box breaks again with spring training. Anyway, would love to do a deal for many of the Yankees cards you came up with. Let me know & I'll send want list and trade list…etc. >>

turn on your pm's and shoot me your list!

Thanks
    Walt
  • Options
    Sorry Anthony, just a couple ad panels from 2012/2013...let me know if anyone wants them.

Maybe Bob Becker will chime in...he collects the ad panels too.

Anyone got black border (non chrome) cards from 2011-2013? Looking to build those sets.

thx, jim.
  • Options
    Sorry, no panels that anyone seems to need. I do have some black borders; send me a PM. I'll be out a good part of today and tomorrow, but I'll get back to you.

Bob
  • Options
    Sorry to chime in with the same question, wanted to see if anyone had an idea what the average local hobby card shop buys these casesoxes for?
    I'd like to purchase from the local shop, what should I expect to pay per box?
    am I better off on eBay?

• Options

<< <i>Sorry to chime in with the same question, wanted to see if anyone had an idea what the average local hobby card shop buys these casesoxes for?
    I'd like to purchase from the local shop, what should I expect to pay per box?
    am I better off on eBay? >>

I would guess dealer cost is around 50 bucks.

Kevin
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this year.
  • Options
    Here are the errors/variations from the 1965 set:

43 Shannon - Name in red on front
    62 Kaat - Name misspelled as Katt on front
    79a & b Checklist - Cannizzaro/C. Cannizarro
    160 Clemente - Pittsburth on back
    176 McCovey - Has Willie Mays DOB
    442 Power - DOB 1931, should be 1927
    462 Krausse - Photo actually Pete Lovrich
    472 Pavletich - Listed as pitcher
    508a & b Checklist - large print/small print on front
    519 Uecker - Posed as left-hander on back
    526 A's Rookies - Jim Hunter misspelled as Tim
    532 Lopez - DOB 1932, should be 1929

• Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    Thinking of buying a case to flip but not sure
  • Options

Is Topps going to continue with these errors? I found a "wrong" DOB last year, and didn't think it was a big deal. I put it in a case, but to look at it, it didn't seem any different.

Were kids in the 60's going after these, I would guess, probably not. I am surprised back then they had trouble spelling Pittsburgh (second year).

The first year was different with Smoltz and Santana, but now it seems like a gimmick, with the variations, image swaps, color swaps, different borders, purple refractor hot box, etc.

Wish they would dial it back and make a couple that are little easier to find. Save it for the regular issue.

Despite that, it should be a good year.

• Options
    My local guy can get me a case for 695 delivered. no idea what he pays his distributor...i'm guessing 550.

Flipping a case is a losing proposition with heritage (always has been) unless you get very very lucky or get a killer price.

you're gonna get something close to this lot:

2 blue autos - ~$75
    1 red auto ~$50
    9 relics - ~$25
    1 black refractor - $25
    1 complete set with sp's ~$250
    21 extra short prints ~$40
    2 other base sets ~$60
    6-10 refractors ~$20
    24 chromes ~ $20
    24 colored refractors. ~$25

That's $590 in payback, but ONLY if you get them on ebay right away.

you gotta hope one of your autos is aaron or mays, but most likely its bobby doerr or even a worse no-name that will be lucky to get $25 on first day of ebay sales.

you gotta hope your black refractor or one of your other refractors is a hot star like jeter, pujols, trout or harper..... and thats just to break even.

Keep in mind last year was the first year you could hope to get more than one auto per case! Hopefully that continues.

Don't get me wrong, i'm still busting a case, but i don't expect it to be profitable. It will be fun though.

- jim

• Options
    Unless you only get one autograph per case like I did last year. One of my friends got 3, so according to Topps, this is the average across the print run. I was pretty disappointed with my one blue John Goryl autograph. I'm still busting a case, too, but I'm hoping my luck is a little better this year.
  • Options
    This breakdown of a case is genius!
    If this kind of data were to be available for every issued product I'd be more comfortable buying modern for ripping.

thanks for sharing!

<< <i>My local guy can get me a case for 695 delivered. no idea what he pays his distributor...i'm guessing 550.

Flipping a case is a losing proposition with heritage (always has been) unless you get very very lucky or get a killer price.

you're gonna get something close to this lot:

2 blue autos - ~$75
    1 red auto ~$50
    9 relics - ~$25
    1 black refractor - $25
    1 complete set with sp's ~$250
    21 extra short prints ~$40
    2 other base sets ~$60
    6-10 refractors ~$20
    24 chromes ~ $20
    24 colored refractors. ~$25

That's $590 in payback, but ONLY if you get them on ebay right away.

you gotta hope one of your autos is aaron or mays, but most likely its bobby doerr or even a worse no-name that will be lucky to get $25 on first day of ebay sales.

you gotta hope your black refractor or one of your other refractors is a hot star like jeter, pujols, trout or harper..... and thats just to break even.

Keep in mind last year was the first year you could hope to get more than one auto per case! Hopefully that continues.

Don't get me wrong, i'm still busting a case, but i don't expect it to be profitable. It will be fun though.

- jim >>

• Options
    I agree, that is a great case breakdown.

Although, you have the variations also (image swaps, etc.), and a gold refractor thrown in.

I think there are three "big" hits per case. I use the term "big", loosely.

Three autos, maybe two autos and a gold, or two autos and a duel relic. From my experience.

Only one year (2008, maybe) did I get a complete set. Seems like a case is still a couple of cards short. Even harder then is trying to get that one or two remaining SPs by busting blasters or retail jumbo packs...

Edited: four "big"hits, if you count the Mint Card, I got a dime last year.
  • Options

This was my case breakdown from 2013

Short prints 97

New Age Performers 35
    Then and Now 17
    Baseball Flashback 23
    News Flashback 23
    Memorable Moments 24

Clubhouse Collection 9
    Autograph (ROA) 2
    Flashback Relic 0
    Mini 0
    64 Mint 1
    In Action 12
    Color variation 2
    Venezuelan 5
    Chrome 8
    Refractors 5
    Black Refractor 1
    Gold 1

Purple 24

SSP (date) 1

Buy-Back 6
    Ad Panel 6
  • Options
    thanks on the case breakdown...i don't know that i've ever seen much of a different output from a case, and i've cracked 10 or so since 2006....plus probably 1000 other non-case boxes over the years.....and have seen many breaks posted on these forums...they all follow that formula. sure someone can get lucky.

the venezuelan and newer SSP's are unique...maybe one SSP per case....but thats if you are lucky. there's always one oddball hit per case, but that cuts into your autograph count, so i would say there are 4-5 decent hits in a case (red auto, blue autos, SSP, black ref, gold ref, mint card, #/d relic, or something of the like). I still stand by my revenue breakdown - the vast majority of us are are getting about $150 worth of value out of those hits if you put them on ebay immediately.

Of course if you get a superstar or hall of famer red ink or banks relic auto #/10 or something then you are getting more thatn $150 for your super hits....but thats what i mean by "you have to be very very lucky"....in other words....Zep.

The venezuelan or buybacks, or ad panels, are newer but they really don't bring in big bucks, so maybe you are getting another $10 for them.

I just cracked two hobby boxes of 2004 heritage last night...will post results tonight.

Just know that Heritage has always been remarkably consistent in its packaging...there really aren't hot boxes ever reported, except for that year that some lucky guy got a single blaster full of 2009 ssp's.....or 2001 toys r us blasters (remember those kevin?) that were filled to the brim with nothing but low# sp's.

• Options
    If you are looking to make money on this try another product. Pre sellers have killed the market. If you are looking to have some fun and learn a little about the 1965 season
    and to trade with a bunch of great traders, then you are at the right place. The SSP hunt will start as soon as people have their boxes to open. Now those early on can get
    you big money. I sold my Arod from a few years back for 400 bucks. I am going to try to get some early info from topps. If I do I will post it here.

Kevin
  • Options

Yes, I wouldn't try to speak to the re-coup value. I leave that to the experts. I pretty much buy and hold.

And it does really seem like you have turn them around quickly, while they are hot, to get the top dollar.

• Options
    Here are the highlights of the two box 2004 rip.

i did great - a black AND an auto.

total numbers:
    24 sp's
    5 chromes, 1 refractor, 1 black refractor
    1 auto
    2 relics
    3 naps
    3 tn's
    4 flashbacks.

All are available for sale or trade.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Walt…I have a lot of Yankees wants on my 2002 checklist (been focusing on Brooklyn Dodgers, NY Giants and Yankees autos). My trade list is a bit light until I start my box breaks again with spring training. Anyway, would love to do a deal for many of the Yankees cards you came up with. Let me know & I'll send want list and trade list…etc. >>

turn on your pm's and shoot me your list!

Thanks
    Walt >>

Hi Walt, Did you get my PM with want and trade list I sent a couple of nights ago?
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course if you get a superstar or hall of famer red ink or banks relic auto #/10 or something then you are getting more thatn $150 for your super hits....but thats what i mean by "you have to be very very lucky"....in other words....Zep. >>

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    The Steriod era may be over for Baseball players, but it definitely isn't over for baseball cards. I only have a few cards remaining in my attainable GU & Stadium relics want list, so the last 2 wkds several came up, as well as the unaffordable ones. I watched a 2008 berra relic auction for $36+, while the BIN sat at $25. 2001 Rizzuto blue ink went for $120, and I've been picking his autos up for less than $75. 2010 mantle seat relic (not even a bat) went for $40, and they typically auction for $31-$35. The Roger Maris Chase relic #5 1/9 went for an astonishing $91. I suppose the pockets were empty at that point b/c the 7/7 mantle chase relic #-13 only went for $87 and the #-5 relic went for $51 (still not sure if I should've bid that one). Meanwhile, every time I added the stupid Chase Bat Dog for the 2013 Trenton Thunder Topps Heritage Minor League team to my watch list to combine purchases and shipping, someone was buying it out from underneath me. Anyway, I managed to pick up a 2011 Maris Stadium Seat Card for $12 & a black border Gumbs auto #/50 for $5. Maybe the the Chase Bat Dog card will come up again next weekend. Less than 3wks until 2014 TH release & I still don't see a checklist circulating! My apologies for the verbal diarrhea.
  • Options
    I stumbled across a few heritage minor league boxes today at the card shop. Not bad even though I will never get into sticker auto real ones. Pulled a plate which was cool, I guess. It does seem like the older heritage stuff is appreciating. Maybe I should list my dual GU Maris/Granderson 61/63.

W
  • Options
    Ah yes, the 2012 dual Maris/Granderson Relic. Auctioned a few weeks back for $35. BIN on ebay right now for $80. I would've pinned it around $50. And yes, I don't go for sticker autos either, but I really like the 2013 Topps Heritage set MLB & MilB, and wanted to complete it. I think the only other sticker auto I own is the Granderson World Baseball Classic. A while back, Beckett forums had a heated debate on sticker autos vs. on card. Some were saying the on card shouldn't be worth any more…curiously, none of the proponents wanted an autographed baseball with a sticker auto…logic wins again.
  • Options
    Just booked my case for 2014. My first heritage case. Real excited for this. Not anticipating making money but I was happy to use some sale proceeds towards the cost.

Really just looking forward to a pure collecting experience on this one. Hope to trade with some guys on here to finish it off too.

Picked up a box of 2011 minor heritage the other day. Will finish that set off too. Nice set with harper and trout.

Looking forward to a fun case break.
  • Options

<< <i>Just booked my case for 2014. My first heritage case. Real excited for this. Not anticipating making money but I was happy to use some sale proceeds towards the cost.

Really just looking forward to a pure collecting experience on this one. Hope to trade with some guys on here to finish it off too.

Picked up a box of 2011 minor heritage the other day. Will finish that set off too. Nice set with harper and trout.

Looking forward to a fun case break. >>

I liked 2011 minor league. It could be had for under 45 a box for the longest time. Lots of Bryce stuff in that.

W
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    100. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.