Home Sports Talk
Options

2013 Red Sox CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well like Al said in his thread I too am not feeling the excitement for the Sox this Season but I still love them and will be in their corner, just not as emotionally attached.

Not much I can say except I think they will finish 3rd in the Division.

Either way............

GO SOX image

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    They are planning on sending all the excitement to start the year in Pawtucket.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The utter stupidity of rookies...this dude gets the Grapefruit League Dumba$$ award.

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Drake Britton, a 23-year-old in his first big-league camp, was arrested on misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, driving under the influence and property damage, according to the Lee County Sheriff's office.

The arrest occurred at 4:42 a.m. Saturday, on Ben Hill Griffin Parkway in Estero, which is adjacent to Fort Myers. According to the arrest report, Britton, who was driving a 2008 black Chevrolet Silverado (a pickup truck), was paced at a maximum speed of 111 mph in a 45 mph zone. With a police car in pursuit, Britton's truck swerved in between other moving vehicles and jumped over a curb, continuing down a small decline and knocking down a barbed-wire fence, according to the police report. Britton then allegedly continued down a dirt road for a quarter of a mile and attempted to pull into a wooded area before coming to a stop. When the officer approached and asked for his license, Britton first handed him his debit card.

According to the arresting officer, Britton's breath smelled of alcohol and he had slurred speech and bloodshot, watery eyes. Britton refused a breath test, but the officer said he admitted he had been drinking. He was taken to Lee County Jail.

While I'm in a sour grapes mood...Red Sox will struggle and not be sucessful in a Wild Card bid. No playoffs this year...again...AND, while I'm at it, the attendance record dies before June at Fenway.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Getting married this summer and we are going on our honeymoon up the East Coast and into Canada. We are going to be in Boston in early July and thought about catching a Sox game. So, I look it up and the Sox are home! And they play their HUGE rival... the San Diego Padres... and there went the air out of my balloon....
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    My suggestion would be to head up I-93 and tour the Lakes Region, then a trip up the auto road to the summit of Mount Washington in Conway NH. Highest recorded winds on the planet there...if memory serves, 244 mph back when. If you are really feeling gutsy, take the cog railway...it'll huff and puff and you'll pray the cogs don't bust, but a nice adventure. Cannon mountain provides a very nice gondola ride to the summit, where there's a sandwich shop...you can walk some trails and just drink in the view, which is very nice. The Old Man of the Mountain has fallen, but you can still see what's left of him just south of Cannon.

The auto-road will keep you alert, and the mountain is the highest point in New England, 6,288 feet. If that's too far inland, driving along the coast of Maine is almost a no-brainer. Lots and lots of stuff to see and do, especially in the Bar Harbor area, with yet another drive up Cadillac mountain to enjoy a SUPERB view of the islands scattered in the Atlantic. You have plenty of time, send off for stuff on Maine, NH and MA and plan your itinerary. I would pass on Cape Cod in the Summer, the traffic is painful. Bar Harbor is directly on your route to Canada.

Boston and the Fenway area is a bit crazy with traffic, but Fenway is a jewel to see and enjoy. If you can tolerate the hustle and bustle, lots to see in the city, from the USS Constitution to Paul Revere's house and the famous North Church. There is a walking trail in the sidewalk identified by two red bricks that will lead you through the maze. It's called the Freedom Trail...google for a map. Quincy Market (everybody knows where that is), will serve you just about any food you desire.

Cheers can be found at the NW corner of Boston Common, just ask anybody, they'll tell you where it is. Parking in town will make you stay on your toes just to find somewhere. Get a map of the "T"...the subway system in Boston. It's color-coded, so if you wanna immerse yourself in the local stuff, the T would be a cool experience...it's OLD, very OLD and creaky, but pretty cool just the same. You can also take a tour of the Boston harbor, but time may preclude this.

Congrats on the marriage...enjoy New England, no place like it anywhere else on this planet. Born and raised there, nothing but great memories, snow, cold and glorious summers in the Lakes Region and the Cape.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Cheers can be found at the NW corner of Boston Common, just ask anybody, they'll tell you where it is.>>>

Just be careful. They put a second "Cheers" in Fanueil Hall, so you may get conflicting advice. The one Topps is talking about (and the one you'll want to go to) is on Beacon Hill, not in Fanueil Hall.

Other than that, Topps is pretty spot on for the touristy stuff to do. Regardless of the opponent, if you haven't seen Fenway, you have to go.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Getting married this summer and we are going on our honeymoon up the East Coast and into Canada. We are going to be in Boston in early July and thought about catching a Sox game. So, I look it up and the Sox are home! And they play their HUGE rival... the San Diego Padres... and there went the air out of my balloon.... >>

On your way, you can visit the former home of the Whalercaines. image

• Options
    I have watched all the preseason games so far that have been on nesn and am not at all impressed with the hitting at all to this point.

I think the pitching looks good though.

We shall see what happens when they get some semblance of a lineup that is not full of minor leaguers.

Until then it does not look very much like a good season to me.
  • Options
    A couple more examples of why the Red Sox will not contend this year...

* The Red Sox continue to lag in the power department. Entering Tuesday’s game they had hit only nine homers all spring, last among American League teams. The Mariners have clubbed 31, more than triple Boston’s total.

* The Red Sox may not have much power so far in spring training but they are striking out a lot. They’re leading American League teams with 131 strikeouts.

Oh, and the Ortiz foot thing...this "injury" happened some 8 months ago. Then it was an achilles, now it's another foot thing. Gee, the season ended in late September...you gonna tell me he didn't have the time to have this examined and a treatment prescribed during the off season? Now he won't make opening day...just what the Sox need, less power and more "wannabes" in the lineup.

NO, I have not reinstated the baseball package on my tv. Crazy thing when you move, Directv gives you the moon and then some...I get to keep my original DVR, which records 2 shows...then gave me the new genie, which records 5 shows. They also gave me a gizmo to access more than 7,000 on-demand movies...all this for nada. Oh, yeah, all movie channels for free for 6 months. I did have to commit to a 2 year lock, but I would have stayed with them anyway.

I hope time will prove me wrong with the Sox, but I just don't see the spark.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Not having a healthy Ortiz in the lineup is bad, but this is still a good offensive team. The Red Sox were 8th in all of baseball last year in runs scored. That impresses me when I consider how for much of the season the lineup was filled with AAA players. I think the scoring for the 2013 is really just going to depend upon health. Pedroia, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Napoli, Ortiz, Victorino . . . these are all guys that can produce at a high level just as long as they are on the field.

This Red Sox team also has a very good bullpen.

In my mind, if the Red Sox don't compete this year it will be because their starting pitching sucked again. Too many "ifs" in the rotation. "If" Lester returns to his former self as an ace. "If" Buchholz can pitch like he did in the second half last year. "If" Lackey can pitch like he did when he was an Angel. "If" Doubront takes the next step in his development. "If" Dempster doesn't turn out to be an NL-only type of pitcher. If all those things come true this could be a very good team in an extremely good division.
  • Options
    Did you watch that game this afternoon. Perfect game until the ninth when the Red Sox brought in a nobody to pitch the ninth and he gave up a couple of hits and a run. Lester looked impressive and the hitting was timely. I don't know if they have enough this year or not but their new manager has them going in the right direction.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just a casual Sawx fan, but I think they can sneak up on some teams this year due to the lower expectations. Outside of Boston, of course!

Should be interesting.
  • Options
    Jacoby Ellsbury hurt his ankle? I havnt been paying much attention but heard this, lets see if this glass vase can make opening day.....
  • Options
    Well the kid made it!

A year ago he was not even in pro ball.

Could he be the spark they need this year?

I think they look pretty good.

We shall see starting tomorrow.
  • Options
    The AL East is going to be a brutal division this season with everyone beating up on each other. 90 wins might win the division. If the Sox have reasonable health and typical performances from their players, they are probably an 85-86 win team. They'll likely be sniffing the wild card race into September.
  • Options
    I was impressed today.

They left a lot on base but they got 8 runs too.

Bradley had a great day with 3 walks and a beautiful running catch in left field.
  • Options
    Nice W, and it was great to see Bradley out there having a good day.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First MLB hit for Bradley tonight and it drive in a run
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    HEH©
  • Options
    Brooms anybody?
  • Options
    3 dingers for Middlebrooks today
  • Options
    Well the didn't go 6 for 6 but I will take 4 for 6 anytime.

They are looking good.
  • Options
    nice way to blow one
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 - 3 going into the 9th, now it's 8 - 5 O's, WTF!
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    At least they are giving 100% this year.
  • Options
    They need one more pitcher sort of like when the Boston Braves had "Spahn. Sain, and pray for rain".
  • Options

<< <i>At least they are giving 100% this year. >>

I will agree with that and be more than happy to see a competitive club all year getting dirty and trying to win regardless if we finish last in the division or first, anything is better than watching those overpriced crybabys we had in there the past few years.
  • Options
    Just wanted to pop in and say that I hope my Boston friends and their loved ones are all okay today. A terrible tragedy spoiling what should have been a great day in New England.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wanted to pop in and say that I hope my Boston friends and their loved ones are all okay today. A terrible tragedy spoiling what should have been a great day in New England. >>

+1000000000
  • Options
    We all were celebrating a great walk off victory and then that happened right outside Fenway park. Terrible.
  • Options
    Is anybody besides me ready to believe the Red Sox are for real?

They are trying real hard, lets get behind them!
  • Options
    I believe in them especially now that I've seen Lester and Buchholz pitch well again. That was my main concern coming into this year. Of course, there are a few other things that could use some improvement but overall this looks like a team that is having fun and playing to win.
  • Options
    Hey guys!!

Have caught a few Sox games...so far so good. Lackey needs to get right, then between him, Lester and Bucky, things could really pop. Was a bit disappointed to see the sellout record fall, but was expected.

I activated the MLB program, so I'm able to rejoin Red Sox Nation on the quest...although I think they still have a hill to climb, things could change as the new guys appear to be stepping up.

Still between two homes, dealing with a health issue with the wife. All the doctors are in the immediate Atlanta area, so we are treating the new home as "the summer lake house", it's a 1.5 hour drive one way between the two. If you'd like to see where I live, check out www.delwebblakeoconee.com

How savage the horror during the marathon!! Have been on Boylston St many times long ago as a student in Boston. Hopefully he(they) will soon be captured.

Hope all is well with you all.

Regards,
    Al
  • Options
    Glad to see you back Al, I am sorry to hear about your wife. Hopefully everything will be all right.

Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    I just read this at the bottom of some "Random Thoughts" by the Globe's Peter Abraham:

"Finally, you should know that a bunch of present-day and former Red Sox are reaching out to find ways to help victims of the attack, especially the children. They're contacting people behind the scenes and offering ways to help.

So be happy your squad is 10-4. But be prouder of that."

It gave me chills. I am really proud of the way the Red Sox family is helping out and really humbled by the outpouring of support from other teams and fans from across the country. Link
  • Options
    We may have to start ratcheting up expectations a little bit....they look solid right now, although injuries to the staff are starting to mount.
  • Options
    That had to be the most emotional game I have ever seen. I cant get over Neil Diamond coming to the park on his own and requesting permission to sing his own song and lead the fans in it. Then the kid who his own college coach did not want and relegated him to water boy work comes up and hits a 3 run homer after that. Now they are bringing Allen Webster up from AAA to pitch tomorrow. He throws accurately and at over 100MPH.

DO YOU BELIEVE YET??? I do!!!
  • Options

<< <i>That had to be the most emotional game I have ever seen. I cant get over Neil Diamond coming to the park on his own and requesting permission to sing his own song and lead the fans in it. Then the kid who his own college coach did not want and relegated him to water boy work comes up and hits a 3 run homer after that. Now they are bringing Allen Webster up from AAA to pitch tomorrow. He throws accurately and at over 100MPH.

DO YOU BELIEVE YET??? I do!!! >>

As per usual whenever I swear off getting involved with the Sox they drag me right in image
  • Options
    Alan Webster was fantastic in spring training and was sent to Pawtucket to start the year. He gave up one run in 2 games for Pawtucket and here he comes. Will they be able to sent him back down? I cant believe the Dodgers gave him up in that trade last year.
  • Options
    Now we will see what they are made of after losing a double header yesterday. If they can bounce back from it they have a chance to be a good team but if they fall apart then they could go down the tubes in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does the Greinke look for KC right now? Starting SS in Escobar and CF in Cain. Escobar homers off the Rookie. Red Sox hold Cain hitless in second game after he gives them fits for two games and then draws a 4 pitch walk with the bases loaded to win the game. The pitches weren't even close. I'd say he has a pretty good glove in CF too.
  • Options
    I think Cain is the real deal for KC and Allen Webster is going to be the real deal for the Red Sox. The Red Sox just have to trade of a few junk players and bring up the good young players after they get a couple of more months of AAA under their belt this year. It is going to be a fun year to watch these kids develop.
  • Options
    The Red Sox finally got tired of Aceves's antics and got rid of him.
    Sent him to Pawtucket so he can screw up the minds of some of the kids down there though.
    I am sure it is just to get him out of Boston until they can find some other sucker to take a chance on him.
    Good riddance!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking like a vintage year for Buchholz so far. Let's hope Suchholz stays in 2012!
  • Options
    Where are all the Red Sox fans this year?
    Are they still waiting in the wings because they feel that the Red Sox will still go down in flames?
    Come on guys get on board, they are for real!
  • Options

<< <i>Where are all the Red Sox fans this year?
    Are they still waiting in the wings because they feel that the Red Sox will still go down in flames?
    Come on guys get on board, they are for real! >>

I was not feeling them this offseason ofcourse they are drawing me in, they are putting together a fun season so far. It blows my mind how optimistic I was when they inked Crawford, Agon ect.. and my expectations were sky high and we all know how that panned out- now I have zero expectations and they are better to watch this year than before when we had those overpriced bums in town.. go figure.

I think this team will continue to be a scrappy club and anything is possible but again my expectations are in check. However not winning the world Series this year will NOT be a failure, being competitive will be a win win situation the way I look at it.
  • Options
    The best record in baseball and there are only a couple of us here that seem to be interested.

Was the last couple of years so bad that all the fair weather fans have deserted the Red Sox?

I have been following them since the 1940's so have seen worse teams than what was put on the field for the past 2 years.

I remember going to games in the early 60's and buying a cheap seat and ending up in the front row because no one wanted to watch the bums play.

Today we have a great team in the making so lets get behind them .

I may not live in Boston anymore but try not to miss a game.
  • Options
    I think people are cautiously optimistic at this point. The lack of posts in this thread is not reflective of the level of interest in the Sox.

They've really got a chance to fatten up during the month of May. The schedule gets brutal toward the end of the month and first few weeks of June. We'll have a better sense of how good they are after that stretch.
  • Options
    During that stretch the sox will have eliminated all of the sore spots in the 25 man roster and will be bringing up the kids that will be able to help them along the way.

They got rid of Aceves already, basically eliminated Bard, now there are still a few more that will show their bad traits as we get deeper into the schedule.

They are deep in good young prospects which can fill some glaring holes and learn on the fly instead of in Pawtucket.
  • Options
    Once again at a keyboard...this living between two houses is kinda crazy.

Anyway...the season is young, yes the Sox are ripping it up, but against Houston is not such a tall hill to climb. I'll get more excited as the season progresses and if they remain as viable contenders. Last year took a lot of wind out of my sails.

I'm with you guys, just haven't really stepped into the rah, rah zone yet.

Best to all,
    Al
  • Options
    The season is young but the excitement is just starting to build.

They deserve a day off after a home stand like they just had.