Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Someone is spreading lies about Legend [$20,000 reward]

Comments

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Go get them!!

When done go after the coin docs with the same energy.

I just went to the link and read the postings. I would not have even brought this up. I doubt any real collector would think any of that is true about Legend and Laura. I am not a huge Legend fan and i can tell this is all BS. I would have just handled it behind the scene. I would think someone you guys know or have done business with would know how to tract the idiot down.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! The Ripoff link Legend Numismatics just hit front page in Google search.

Edited to add:
    I wonder if the attention here assisted in causing that?

peacockcoins

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    For what its worth...it does not damage my view of her reputation at all. Completely ineffective at doing that.

I suspect that nobody in the targeted CU member audience has been swayed.
    Sour grapes looks like sour grapes and it's pretty obvious here.
    I'm sure this does not make you any less angry.
    But I cannot say this was a very effective Well Orchestrated Promotion.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! The Ripoff link Legend Numismatics just hit front page in Google search.

Edited to add:
    I wonder if the attention here assisted in causing that? >>

Really?

What search term are you using to get such a result?
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    AMATEURS. Not worthy of all the attention. The FBI won't waste its time.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not cool- sorry to hear about this.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck TDN.

FWIW, Hushmail is run out of Canada, and has responded to subpoenas in the past.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Ripoffreport.com is well known for basically extorting people to have complaints - no matter how unsubstantiated - removed.

In other words, Ripoffreport.com IS a ripoff and total scam.

I still don't know how they continue to exist with the way they run their "business".
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I received it as well. The routing headers look similar to to those posted by jfoot13. >>

In a couple minutes on google I was able to determine the likely identity of jfoot13.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I received it as well. The routing headers look similar to to those posted by jfoot13. >>

In a couple minutes on google I was able to determine the likely identity of jfoot13. >>

Great! Go get um....
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    How does a lawsuit get filed without an opposing party?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How does a lawsuit get filed without an opposing party? >>

John Doe
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

In a couple minutes on google I was able to determine the likely identity of jfoot13. >>

I hope I'm the likely identity of jfoot13 LOL why are you googleing me?
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Terrible to read this attack on an honest person in our hobby.

Unfortunately, not very surprising. Laura/Legend efforts against the fraud of coin doctoring to enable surreptitious sales or deceptive profit by unknowing coin buyers produced a backlash – likely by those profiting by the acts called into question.

What is surprising is the number of posters here, on a chat board – one dedicated to coins with a strong money/finance slant – who have never heard of Ripoff Report.

The site is an older one and has attracted much attention, at times ground zero, for questions (and legal decisions) regarding anonymously posting about or purporting fraud; concerns on libel/slander; electronic reputation protections, etc. – the thorny road of life on the superinformation highway.

Not a fly by night site, it has legs and a long and deep reputation; both good and bad.

For some background and backstory, and potentially some helpful information for those who consider what types of action could/should be taken against the website – I offer that the website of RipoffReport founder, Ed, is as an interesting site to glean some insight into the history and practical considerations regarding what could/should be stated on the site, what should remain, ramifications and case history. Not an endorsement nor a defense of his site, ripoff or any of the content - just a germane potential perspective for those who have never considered these topics before.

http://www.edmagedson.com/

Hope you find that helpful.

fwiw
    www.CoinMine.com
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yup
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    awww
    my CU e-mail received no hushmail spam.

seconds is more like it.

and it does not help that hushmail is in Canada, but libel is against their ToS.
    Peer1 is their provider that is a Canada company, and I wonder if pressure can be put on them over hushmail's lack of actions on P1-ToS violations that they could be passing through P1's systems.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yup >>

chatboard weenie!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    This is disgraceful and it's a shame that anonymous attacks like this can happen. Definitely a negative side of the Internet.

I am sure that good legal counsel will be able to get to the bottom of this and that Laura will have her day in court.

I doubt if this accusation will have any affect on current or prospective customer of Laura.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got an email today from coinb101@hush.com to jrocco42@aol.com. The message was "Do you know any think about Laura Sperber of Legend? I was thinking of buying one of her coins then I saw this article online saying she might be involved in money laundering is this true?" it has the ripoffreport link. I just deleted it. I knew it to be false, but I didn't want to reply, for obvious reasons.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LINK >>

Why this link doesn't work is beyond me. Anyone else?

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck TDN and Laura. Hope you nail the perp --- this is disgusting, but not surprising given the mindset of coin doctors.
  • Options
    Racketeering? Good grief. What kind of a whacked-out accusation is that?

I wish I knew who it was. I need the $20,000. Fry 'em.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yup >>

chatboard weenie! >>

Jfoot13 is not the perp. He is a member here who shared in this thread a copy of the email that he received from the perp. He has since deleted it, I assume because of comments like this. Always best to read an entire thread before publicly jumping to conclusions.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got an email today from coinb101@hush.com to jrocco42@aol.com. The message was "Do you know any think about Laura Sperber of Legend? I was thinking of buying one of her coins then I saw this article online saying she might be involved in money laundering is this true?" it has the ripoffreport link. I just deleted it. I knew it to be false, but I didn't want to reply, for obvious reasons. >>

I got the same forwarded email, from an unknown party.
    It was so outrageous, it's hard to believe. I only asked two
    friends about this, and neither had heard of this accusation.

I have bought a few coins over the years from Ms. Sperber
    but read her monthly reports regularly. The truth always
    prevails.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I join the many in hoping your justified legal intervention produces rapid and thorough success. My entire life it has always been very rewarding to see what happens when a bully picks on the wrong person.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I doubt if this accusation will have any affect on current or prospective customer of Laura. >>

The problem is that a potential new customer who wants to do business with Laura may google her name and this site may come up which could dissuade them from giving her their business. Let's not forget that a dealer's good reputation is his/her most valuable asset.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    TDN, I received the email as well. It was addressed to an obsolete email address I had failed to update in my profile here on the boards. This is the only place in which that email links me with the hobby. I hope that is useful.

Don
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭
    I received the same email, though it was not addressed to me and I have no idea how it ended up in my inbox.

In any case, go get 'um Bruce -
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yup >>

chatboard weenie! >>

Jfoot13 is not the perp. He is a member here who shared in this thread a copy of the email that he received from the perp. He has since deleted it, I assume because of comments like this. Always best to read an entire thread before publicly jumping to conclusions. >>

You assumed correct.... I get an uneasy feeling when I see feathers smell tar and hear my name mentioned image
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭
    This is absolutely insane.

Laura, hang in there, the truth will prevail.

Bruce, good job, keep the pressure on and find this lowlife.
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    FWIW:

Registrant:
    Xcentric Ventures, llc
    P.O.Box 470
    Tempe, AZ 85280
    US
    602•359•4357

Domain Name: RIPOFFREPORT.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Magedson, Ed editor@ripoffreport.com
    P.O.Box 470
    Tempe, AZ 85280
    US
    602•359•4357

Technical Contact:
    Magedson, Ed editor@ripoffreport.com
    P.O.Box 470
    Tempe, AZ 85280
    US
    602•359•4357
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yup >>

chatboard weenie! >>

Jfoot13 is not the perp. He is a member here who shared in this thread a copy of the email that he received from the perp. He has since deleted it, I assume because of comments like this. Always best to read an entire thread before publicly jumping to conclusions. >>

>>

I hope jfoot knows it is just an inside joke. imageimage
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laura Sperber from Legend Numismatics was indicted on charges of racketeering and money laundering on Monday. A grand jury handed down the indictment Monday afternoon. This capped a year long investigation in to her alleged criminal activity helping many well-known organized crime family launder money through the front of coin collecting. She is a well known loud mouthed PCGS coin dealer.

Even if this were true, I can't see many people caring. In this hobby/business, all anyone cares about is that the dealer's word is good, the coins are good, and the checks are good. Yes, even if the dealer is "loud mouthed".
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found the ripoff report a year ago when I was getting screwed out of a deposit on a used car which was significantly misrepresented. I found that out by doing some digging after the fact at GM Warranty customer service. The CarFax and AutoCheck only showed a fraction of the problems this car had previously had. Because the BBB wasn't responding to my request
    I went to several of the leading on line complaint sites to tell my story. RipOffReport was one of them. I figured my money was gone for good. It took 3 months for the dealership to finally figure things out (and fire the sales manager and salesman in the process) and refund my money. I later updated my ROR complaint to say that it had been resolved. But, I was surprised to find that it couldn't be deleted.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yup >>

chatboard weenie! >>

>>

I hope jfoot knows it is just an inside joke. imageimage >>

I didn't, my apologies

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope you find them. Good luck!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    agree with other comments -- it's disturbing that someone can do this and that this "ripoff report" site won't take it down unless you pay them a couple grand for arbitration.

my only insight here, as a practicing litigation attorney, is that unless the bad guy has some assets, you're going to end up spending a lot of money on a lawsuit and may never see it again. it may be some kid out there or some deranged person with no assets who posted it.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Just terrible....I fully support and encourage all efforts to bring the scumbags who did this to justice.
    A sad comment on our free society today.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭
    I checked, and there's no grammarreport.com, so Laura's safe on that count. image
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Jfoot13 is a good guy, he isn't the one! image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they locked the page on Laura as my response is the last one on the page.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It's hard to believe someone can run a site like that with complete immunity. I was hoping one of the lawyers on the board could find a way to put a butt whuppin on him.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to believe someone can run a site like that with complete immunity.

But it's easy to see how he could make a quick 20K.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Has the threat of the john doe lawsuit had any effect on this?

According to the State Farm commercial everything posted on the net is true. image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a pisser that one is. i hope they do hang them high. image
This discussion has been closed.