Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Someone is spreading lies about Legend [$20,000 reward]

124»

Comments

• Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    If you were contacted via email at the address you use for this forum please PM me.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    BiddlesBank
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    And really not relevant to PCGS business here. Sorry, but I don't see the point posting it here. This is Legend stuff, not PCGS stuff.

This
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Everyone talking about suing the website operator, sending him threatening emails, thinking the website got taken down, etc etc really need to educate yourselves.

here is a really good start

Laura may be able to take some action against the poster of the false information, and I am pulling for her, but the operator of the website and the website itself are untouchable. And if you try to hard to touch them they have a very nasty tendency to touch back. and win.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And if you try to hard to touch them they have a very nasty tendency to touch back. and win. >>

Maybe they need to be touched by Jack Bauer.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone talking about suing the website operator, sending him threatening emails, thinking the website got taken down, etc etc really need to educate yourselves.

here is a really good start

Laura may be able to take some action against the poster of the false information, and I am pulling for her, but the operator of the website and the website itself are untouchable. And if you try to hard to touch them they have a very nasty tendency to touch back. and win. >>

No one said it was taken down to my knowledge, only that it was down. And it definitely was for a while... perhaps clogged with volume from people going to that page to read the report posted. This has been running rife through the numismatic community after all.

As to those talking of suing the website owner, etc. I suggest reading both the linked article and the pertinent links at the bottom of the RR website pages. They're fairly conversant with the Communications Decency Act and use it as a shield against litigation...thus far, quite successfully. Laura's best bet is to try to target the author directly, if she can successfully glean his/her identity.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had to guess, the author is likely the only one who knows his identity. As uncomfortable as it would seem to be in his/her shoes, as long as he/she keeps quiet, there is probably no chance of getting caught.

As for the website, I seriously doubt anyone will get anywhere with them. It seems that they would fight just for principle.

So quite likely Legend / TDN will have to keep tilting at windmills, or learn to take baseless internet complaints on the chin.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ripoff Report Wikipedia page is interesting and details a number of lawsuits against the site. After reading it, I'm not convinced the site uses arbitration to extort people, at least not primarily. The site was started in December 1998 and arbitration was only introduced in July 2010.

The site runs under the protection of the Communications Decency Act and people have claimed the site should not be protected by the CDA, in part because of their refusal to remove content.

<< <i>Because of the site's steadfast refusal to remove complaints, many lawsuits have been filed against the Ripoff Report claiming the site does not qualify for protection under the CDA or that such protection has been lost due to its alleged solicitation of defamatory content, its refusal to remove content which is false, and its alleged alteration and/or modification of reports or their titles. For a variety of reasons, none of these cases have ever reached trial. >>

Arbitration could be a way they seek to remain protected by the CDA.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.