Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Official 2012 BBCE PSA Group Break #9 - The Break Of All Breaks - LETS SEE SOME SCANS!!!!!!

Comments

• I like that Ryan! Very cool!
  • vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Wow thats awesome. Glad to see somebody actually opened there 1972 packs.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    1972 BKB yielded a few HOF names and stars. 1973 BB had nice cards but nobody of major significance. I'll scan
    some of these later.
    >>

Some nice pulls! You may do alright on the '73 pack if you have any low pop commons that have a shot at a 9. Some commons in the high series go for $200+ in MINT condition.
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    My 4 packs of 81 Topps Football were the worst 4 packs ever that I have opened when it comes to star power. Until the next rip. image
  • Way to go Dave those are huge hits!!! What are you think in the Jordan 8.5? I'm not sure how they treat the rough edge like that.

Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • custom352custom352 Posts: 107 ✭✭
    The 85' Topps FB wax and 86' FB Cello's got opened up Saturday night with some friends.
    But they were all stinkers.
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    " I'm not sure how they treat the rough edge like that."

i just submitted a bunch of 86 Fleer with that rough cut and nearly all came back 8s
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>" I'm not sure how they treat the rough edge like that."

i just submitted a bunch of 86 Fleer with that rough cut and nearly all came back 8s >>

I thought rough edges are not supposed to be a factor (I have seen plenty of high-end cards with them), but I guess with certain cards the standard
    grading philosophies are not the same?

Dave
    "I thought rough edges are not supposed to be a factor (I have seen plenty of high-end cards with them), but I guess with certain cards the standard
    grading philosophies are not the same? "

I was hoping the same, like how they are lenient with OPC, but most of mine were 60/40 centering, none or very minimal chipping, and rough cut on one side and were mostly 8s. might be grader specific?
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    David ... GREAT RIP! Congrats. Hope they grade even higher than you are hoping for.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>" I'm not sure how they treat the rough edge like that."

i just submitted a bunch of 86 Fleer with that rough cut and nearly all came back 8s >>

I thought rough edges are not supposed to be a factor (I have seen plenty of high-end cards with them), but I guess with certain cards the standard
    grading philosophies are not the same? >>

I can't speak for basketball as I don't collect it. For baseball, rough cuts can impact the grade, especially on issues with color borders, if it results in chipping. For example with 1971 Topps baseball, a card that has chipping along the edges will usually not get higher than an 8. If the rough cut doesn't result in chipping along the border, then it shouldn't downgrade the card.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't speak for basketball as I don't collect it. For baseball, rough cuts can impact the grade, especially on issues with color borders, if it results in chipping. For example with 1971 Topps baseball, a card that has chipping along the edges will usually not get higher than an 8. If the rough cut doesn't result in chipping along the border, then it shouldn't downgrade the card.

This is correct. I have found that rough cuts on white stock will not negatively impact the grade as much as if the stock were colored. PSA also grants more leniency for
    rough cuts (in general) for issues in which it is very common due to production methods, such as OPC cards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    2 packs of '86 Fleer Basketball received today, one has a Jabbar sticker showing through the back and Derek Smith in front, the other has an Alex English sticker back and.............

i can't tell who's in front. the card is upright. image

solid looking clean packs these be. i will let them taunt me for awhile. image
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Wow, congrats on the Jordan!

If this is a 9, Text then that one should be an 11!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection

<< <i>Wow, congrats on the Jordan!

If this is a 9, Text then that one should be an 11! >>

I was thinking 8 or 8.5 on mine with the print eye and all...Will let everyone know how it turns out.

Dave
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the scans of the 72-74 basketball. Please post when you have a chance!
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2 packs of '86 Fleer Basketball received today, one has a Jabbar sticker showing through the back and Derek Smith in front, the other has an Alex English sticker back and.............

solid looking clean packs these be. i will let them taunt me for awhile. image >>

So, how did the rip go??? image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>2 packs of '86 Fleer Basketball received today, one has a Jabbar sticker showing through the back and Derek Smith in front, the other has an Alex English sticker back and.............

solid looking clean packs these be. i will let them taunt me for awhile. image >>

So, how did the rip go??? image >>

package non-rippage, amigo. i flicked that little devil guy off my shoulder like an unwanted bird poop. image
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Guys,

One person didn't pay so the following packs are available. Please reply back to this thread with what and how many you want. This will work on a first come first serve basis. Once you have reserved, please pay Steve for the packs and reply back on the thread you did.

(1) 72/73 Topps Basketball ($123.75/ea)
    (2) 74/75 Topps Basketball ($150.00/ea)

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
    Hey, I'll take the 2 86 football cellos

Thanks
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys,

One person didn't pay so the following packs are available. Please reply back to this thread with what and how many you want. This will work on a first come first serve basis. Once you have reserved, please pay Steve for the packs and reply back on the thread you did.

(2) 72/73 Topps Basketball
    (2) 74/75 Topps Basketball
    (2) 77/78 Topps Basketball
    (2) 78/79 Topps Basketball
    (2) 76/77 Topps Hockey

Mark >>

Cincy, for some of us that missed the original thread could you add the pricing?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    It's on page 1
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
    Sweet more packs. I'll take the following.

(1) 72/73 Topps Basketball
    (2) 77/78 Topps Basketball
    (2) 78/79 Topps Basketball
    (2) 76/77 Topps Hockey

All packs are gone.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    I will take the 72/73 basketball.

I assume not paying keeps you out of future breaks.

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello

<< <i>Three packs left.

Mark >>

Isn't the 74/75 56.25 a pack?

If so I will take those 2 also

Jim
    60's OPC packs
    72 and earlier BB cello

<< <i>

<< <i>Three packs left.

Mark >>

Isn't the 74/75 56.25 a pack?

If so I will take those 2 also

Jim >>

Jim, my mistake, you are right. You have the last three packs.

And yes, failure to pay will keep you from participating in future breaks.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty late to the party here, but I just got my cards yesterday. As always, thank you Mark, but also ga5150. I really like the box.

So here's the packs:

Mostly I am happy with the packs. The '73 has a slight tear from the gum and the 73/74 basketball is too off center for me to want to keep it as a high end pack for my collection. So I'll take a bit of a hit if I sell those, but I'm very happy with the '72 pack and it will be graded. The '72 is my favorite pack, so I'm glad that was the best one.

So here's the packs that are ready to rip:

Below are the highlights of the 5 packs:

This is a pic and not a scan, but the card is nice outside of the cut and I think you can see the cut here. Is it worth grading or am I headed for the dreaded OC tag on this one? If I am, I'd rather just keep it raw. It was fun to get a hit either way and I doubt I'll sell it. It's been a long time since I pulled the card I was looking for and I like this one.

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
    Nice Montana! Good to see someone pulled one.

Also I paid Steve this morning for the additional packs from the non-payer and added a 1973-74 basketball pack. Can't wait to get them.

Jeff
    Paid for the last 3 packs.

Mark, you are like a crack dealer to us addicts. Just one more pack, just one more, I can quit anytime.

Jim
    60's OPC packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    ok--just got back from NYU where I dropped my daughter Alex off for her sophomore year at Tisch School of the Arts!

here are my pics--

highlight was this--1st I have ever pulled. An 8? 8.5? 9? who the heck knows? We'll find out tho!!

the following will be sent to PSA and comprise most of my pack run back to '61 Fleer

and the box that I won is very nice--'78/9 basketball

thanks Cincy for setting it up !!
  • I got mine this morning, actually last night but the box sat in front of my house overnight as I had duty. I only pulled an OC Art Monk in my 4 81 Topps packs, I am keeping my 82 Topps racks sealed. I did add two 2001 Topps Football Jumbo boxes to my order and pulled 4 Brees, 4 Tomlinsons and 4 Vick Rookie cards but all except 1 Vick had varying degrees of surface damage due to the cards sticking together. I was searching for the Rookie Premiere Autos of the aforementioned players and missed but I did hit this:

<< <i>Paid for the last 3 packs.

Mark, you are like a crack dealer to us addicts. Just one more pack, just one more, I can quit anytime.

Jim >>

That's funny Jim. You remember the anti-drug commercials from the early 80's....."C'mon try it, it will make you feel good, it will make you feel good". It's hard not to resist.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭

<< <i> Is it worth grading or am I headed for the dreaded OC tag on this one? If I am, I'd rather just keep it raw. It was fun to get a hit either way and I doubt I'll sell it. It's been a long time since I pulled the card I was looking for and I like this one. >>

I don't think it would get an OC. It actually looks pretty nicely centered compared to many examples. Nice pull!
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    My packs. Got basketball '72-79. All ready to Go to PSA to get slabbed. Trying to complete my run of packs.

Opened the following: 2 '81FB--nothing of interest. 2 '83 cello--zilch. Opened 2 '84 FB and was plEased to pull a very nice Marino. Will post scans when I get home. 8. Maybe a 9. Some other slabable cards

Also got the 78 basketball wax box. Awesome condition!
  • Excellent pull on that Marino Flatfoot. That Marino is a hands down 8 all the way.
  • Very sweet Marino RC. That should grade an 8 for sure. Anytime you can pull and grade your own PSA 8-9 its a great thing. The more I rip the more I see how hard it is to pull centered, clean cards.

That MJ and the 72 Topps Rose are gorgeous. Absolute stunners!

Still dying to see if anyone pulled the Magic/Bird...

Upset I missed this rip, hopefully get in on the next one. Keep the scans coming!
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    q]and the box that I won is very nice--'78/9 basketball

>>

Hey Manny, that is the 1977/78 Basketball empty box, looks real nice!

Awesome pull on the Marino too, and sweet hoops pack run!!
    Just got my additional packs from the BBCE from the nonpaying bidder. I even added a 1973-74 basketball pack to the order and Steve was nice enough to give me the 10% discount on it. So that pack ended up being less then what they were priced at for the group rip. Awesome!!! A few of these will be ripped later tonight.

Jeff

• KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    Grades just popped on the Jordan and a few others:

The Jordan was an 8 as expected

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 FLEER 57 MICHAEL JORDAN

I also had my six free vouchers that i've been sitting on for a while so I sent some others in:

MINT 9 1994 UPPER DECK MINOR LEAGUE TC1 ALEX RODRIGUEZ TRADE CARD
    MINT 9 1986 FLEER STICKER 11 DOMINIQUE WILKINS
    NEAR MINT 7 1986 FLEER 9 LARRY BIRD
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 FLEER 11 ROLANDO BLACKMAN
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 FLEER 77 CHRIS MULLIN
    N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT1986 FLEER 122 GERALD WILKINS

I'm just happy the Jordan wasnt the card that came back N6!
    nice job on the jordan, that N6 would have been scary!

anyone open their 80 Topps Bkball packs? How were the cards?

• tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    No ripping here, but these back from PSA - happy with the results.

bump for bump an old thread weekend and for Mike Kelly's kids

Dave
    Nice bump. What an epic break
    That was a cool one. What happened to cincyredlegs? That cat was awesome at setting up the group rips, etc...

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Those prices...
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Just the fact that you guys were breaking a 1986/87 Fleer BK box.....image
    Originally posted by: Dennis88
    Just the fact that you guys were breaking a 1986/87 Fleer BK box.....image

I think it's badass, you can't keep it boxed forever.

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭
    Great memories. Mark was awesome setting those up.
    Originally posted by: lahmejoon
    Great memories. Mark was awesome setting those up.

That break was about $40K in product. The most $'s we had ever spent. Probably $100K if we did it today. The funny thing was the 86 Fleer box was added last and I wasn't going to because I didn't think we could sell it out because of all the other high $'s boxes we had. Mike Kelley talked me into it an said it would be the first to sell out.......dangit if he wasn't right.

The good ole days.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524