Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Official 2012 BBCE PSA Group Break #9 - The Break Of All Breaks - LETS SEE SOME SCANS!!!!!!

Comments

• MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭
    After I posted that I still hadn't received my packs, I went out to the mailbox, and low and behold the mailman came late and had a box from BBCE in it! I was pretty excited!

It was packed nicely, and my dad and I were pretty excited to look at the back of our 2 80-81 topps packs, but we did not have the bird/magic rookie. However, on the back of a 78 cello was a thurman munson, one of my dad's favorite yankee's. I also grabbed a 84 football cello and an 86 football cello that I will add to my unopened collection.

Cant wait till the next rip!

Jeremy
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think I got the Bird rookie image Erving in the middle with the orange basketball on top.
    There are a lot of different panels with Erving in the middle but it looks good to me.
    What do you think.

image >>

Nope. Bird has a blue border on the left panel. That is Jan Van Breda Kolff

Should have Magic on the right side though......

STill a sweet pack Congrats!!!! >>

You are correct, it does have the red border from the Kolff panel

Well then it is still out there for someone.

Joe
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Received my package out here in Cali also. Very happy with condition of the packs especially the 72 baseball. At one time I wanted the thrill of opening it, but it just looks so gorgeous in its current state. Just to release some tension I opened 2 cellos of 81 baseball and 2 wax packs of 85 football. No real star power, although very nice condition and pretty good centering throughout.
  • With the sequencing known on the 1986 Fleer basketball packs would it not diminish the value of the pack if the proper card in the sequence for a Jordan is not on top or bottom? Is the pack then in reality worth like 50 bucks then ? If somebody sold a pack they knew had the wrong sequencing for a Jordan and didn't state at time of sell, would that be considered bad business ?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With the sequencing known on the 1986 Fleer basketball packs would it not diminish the value of the pack if the proper card in the sequence for a Jordan is not on top or bottom? Is the pack then in reality worth like 50 bucks then ? If somebody sold a pack they knew had the wrong sequencing for a Jordan and didn't state at time of sell, would that be considered bad business ? >>

The sequence will often switch mid pack so I would say no--but then again buying a loose pack like that should temper your expectations anyway.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Here's the 1982 Topps Racks. This is first year that I ripped packs after riding my bike to the local Eckard's. Still have never pulled a Ryan. Never was a fan of the In Action cards.

Pack 1

Pack 2

• excuse my ignorance would like to put up some pics but do not have a scanner...is it possible to upload from phone.

Thanks
  • 'Yes, just plug in your usb device to your computer. Then go to "start" - my computer". Find your file and then drag the photo onto your desktop. Upload that photo into photobcuket. Then copy the "IMG CODE" and paste onto here and your done.
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>excuse my ignorance would like to put up some pics but do not have a scanner...is it possible to upload from phone.

Thanks >>

I've taken pictures with my smart phone, used my photo bucket app to automatically upload the pictures, then I have gone on www.photobucket.com and got the IMG code to post pictures. I'm sure there is a way to do it all from my phone, but I have never taken the time to learn to do that.
  • The two 1982 Cellos. Forgot about those stupid stickers. Got Nolan and Dave Smith. F- Yeah! A great way to spend a Friday night drinking alone!

• 1983 Fleer Baseball Cello Pack....... Donut!

• ssollarsssollars Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭
    Just finished rippin' by '81 FB box...

Finally pulled a Montana after soooo many packs opened over the last 5 or so years!!! Slightly better than 65/35 centering, probably an 8.

Got a lot of nice commons and the majority of the stars, a hand full of which are well centered. It's going to me take awhile to compare and upgrade my set with these.

Anybody else working on a hi end raw '81 FB set? I have plenty of trading material, minus Montanas that it image

Scott
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are then scans...

• Two 1978 Topps Baseball Cellos.... Nothing!

• jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭
    I saw a Sandberg in that 83 Fleer pack.

Let's see some more Jordan's. Someone bust some more basketball!
    Joel
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Just got back from the SF Giants game and found my package waiting for me on my doorstep. Had to sober up before driving home from my brothers place......
    Nothing spectacular from my two 80 BB and 81 FB wax packs but did hit some gold on one of my 81' basketball packs. I made sure to check the packs extra carefully thanks to the heads up from the forums.

I found the Erving/Bird/Magic RC on the back of one of my packs(Can definitely make out Bird and Erving, but can't see Magic-please let me know if I'm mistaken and it's possible to get a Bird/Erving combo w/o Magic). Scan attached Erving's name is clear and Bird's jersey can be made out on the other side of the pack.

I'll leave the pack as is and send it directly to PSA for slabbing. BIG THANKS to the guys at BBCE and Cincyredlegs(daughter included-for the 86 fleer box!) for putting this break together!

My 86' fleer pack should arrive tomorrow I'll update with the results of ripping/non ripping when received.

• 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    That's the one !!!

Congrats.

Joe
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Congrats stangrider.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Yahtzee!!! Awesome pack!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Stang ... you ARE the winner! CONGRATS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I finished opening my last few packs and finally got a couple decent cards. Very happy with the basketball packs.

Jeff

• Although I didn't get anything to get really excited about, I had a great time ripping these packs!

I did manage to pull these six cards from one cello pack, a few of them have dinged upper left corner.

A few '78s....centering issues.

A few football rookies...

I think the '80 Blyleven may have a shot at a 10....

Some more '80s stuff...

• Two 80 Topps Cellos and four 83 Topps Cellos. Not anything to speak about. Oh well. One 83 Cello pack was very warped. Here they are:

Nice Montana RC.
  • Centering not good. Worse on back.

• ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    That Barkley looks like the best centered card in the pack! Can you give us a nice scan of just the Barkley?
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Top to bottom centering issue:

Yup, you're right. Too bad. The other 11 look to have left to right issues.

How many people have actually opened their pack (s)? Any Jordans?

I got mine today and am going to have it graded. It is a beautiful looking pack. I think I have a shot at a 9...
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase

• << <i>Yup, you're right. Too bad. The other 11 look to have left to right issues.

How many people have actually opened their pack (s)? Any Jordans?

I got mine today and am going to have it graded. It is a beautiful looking pack. I think I have a shot at a 9... >>

Good call and good luck with the grading. I couldn't see the first card. So I went for it. Not disappointed in not getting Jordan. Just wish there was better centering. The backs are more OC than the fronts too. Might sub the Barkley just so I can tell the story that it was from a pack that I ripped. I wouldn't open a pack after seeing this group.
  • I so want to get into a ripping frenzy tonight, but will wait for Mark and our Thursday nights card fest.

Coongrats to those who have pulled some nice cards so far. The 72's I hear are incredible!!

Keep the rips and posts coming!! image
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • man oh man there are some NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE! scans in this thread! image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

<< <i>I so want to get into a ripping frenzy tonight, but will wait for Mark and our Thursday nights card fest. >>

Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
    Well, I just ripped everything but the 86 Fleer Basketball and could not have struck out more. I mean literally nothing out of quite a few packs. Everyone's chances just went up a bit more.

GL guys
  • Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Here are the best I found in my packs. The Brett would have been nice if it weren't for the rough bottom edge.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    No scans, but I did have a Jordan sticker on back.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    That Raines looks nice
  • ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I ripped some of packs, and some will be sent for grading. On the 78 wax packs, I have one with Robin Yount on back, and one with Lou Brock on back. I'll get those two slabbed. Here are a few of my highlights:

• Great stuff you pulled. Looks like you made out extremely well. A shame about that Mattingly though - but that Ripken sure looks nice - very centered which is tough to pull.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pack, Stang.

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Got called out of town for a client, so I did not get home to find my box from Steve until yesterday.

I had

4 x 1972 Topps BB Series 5/6
    2 x 1973 Topps BB Series 5
    2 x 1972 Topps BKB
    2 x 1986 Fleer BKB

All packs were bought with the intent of ripping (unless a major star was showing).

Met up with my friend Steve (orbitdoc here) and we shared the job of opening the packs together. It was like being 10/11 years old all over (except neither of us had much interest in chewing the gum).

1972 BKB yielded a few HOF names and stars. 1973 BB had nice cards but nobody of major significance. I'll scan
    some of these later.

On to the big time stuff.

The major hits were in 1972 BB (series 5) and the 1986 BKB...NOTE ALL OF THESE PULLED BY STEVE:

His Airness: 60/40 T/B, print eye and rough edge on the left side but very sharp overall

1972 Ryan (a bit off T/B plus top edge has something happening on the upper right) + 1972 Rose (looking
    very sharp)

And some major RCs from 1986 Fleer (Blackman and Mullen a bit OC but very sharp and Olajuwon
    nicer than MJ and same rough edge)

Dave
    Cha Ching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice job David. There is the 2nd Jordan. 1-2 more to go.

Love the Ryan and Rose. Very, very sharp cards and centered fantastically.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Sweet pulls. I'll guess 8's on the MJ and Ryan, and a 9 or 10 on the Rose.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pulls on the 72s, David! I am going to guess a 7.5-8 on the Ryan and an 8.5 on the Rose. Is there a mark on the left border of the
    Rose about halfway up the card? L/R centering may keep it from grading Mint 9, imo..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the Mattingly sort of reminds me of looking at a picture that isn't hanging quite straight on the wall!

<< <i>Great stuff you pulled. Looks like you made out extremely well. A shame about that Mattingly though - but that Ripken sure looks nice - very centered which is tough to pull. >>

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    congrats on the pulls
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some incredible stuff guys!

Thanx.
    Mike