Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Silver Eagle two coin set in the works!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>One per HH, 20,000 mintage. Let's make collecting interesting, forget the high mintage stuff. >>

I would have to get the speed dialer out of the closet again for that one!
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    With a 20K mintage I wonder what effect that would have on the 1995 W no longer being the key.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With a 20K mintage I wonder what effect that would have on the 1995 W no longer being the key. >>

I think Silver just made up the 20K thing, the US Mint is way to greedy to only mint 20K.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    On sale 6/7/2012. Posted on the US Mint site.

2012 American Eagle San Francisco Two-Coin Silver Proof Set
  • Options
    Hey! the mint could will reopen carson city next year image
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>With a 20K mintage I wonder what effect that would have on the 1995 W no longer being the key. >>

I think Silver just made up the 20K thing, the US Mint is way to greedy to only mint 20K. >>

Yes, I was. The Mint should make it limited and rare.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey! the mint could will reopen carson city next year image >>

Now there is a great idea!
    I like that!
    Best.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    A quick check of the US Mint web site shows this set being available for sale on June 6, 2012.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<A quick check of the US Mint web site shows this set being available for sale on June 6, 2012. >>

To be more exact: Available between 12 Noon and 1:53 PM...but then ALL GONE!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<A quick check of the US Mint web site shows this set being available for sale on June 6, 2012. >>

To be more exact: Available between 12 Noon and 1:53 PM...but then ALL GONE! >>

But, after 1:53 PM they'll be happy to put you on their waiting list.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭

<< <i><<A quick check of the US Mint web site shows this set being available for sale on June 6, 2012. >>

not quite. How about a 4 week window of taking orders and minting to demand from those orders. 6-6-12 to 7-6-12.

That is what USM CS just said. No press release and no price yet, but she was reading these details carefully. and seconded 'mint to demand' when I said it.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

not quite. How about a 4 week window of taking orders and minting to demand from those orders. 6-6-12 to 7-6-12.

That is what USM CS just said. No press release and no price yet, but she was reading these details carefully. and seconded 'mint to demand' when I said it. >>

those 1-800-USA-MINT people don't know anything.

they are contractors
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    To be taken with grain of salt, for sure.

She was reading this from her notes or a script, and said 'they' came and told us all this, this morning and that she was surprised to have that news already, since they just showed up online yesterday. she also confirmed there is no press release from the Mint directly yet on these.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll get it if it glows in the dark.image >>

The Canadians just issued the first one that does. Sold out very quickly.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

The Canadians just issued the first one that does. Sold out very quickly. >>

say it isn't so!!!

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...if minted to demand.

That will definitely dampen both speculation...AND TOTAL SALES...not an easy hat trick to pull off!
  • Options
    I'm not buying this one bit. Saw the same thing posted on another board by the same guy. So The Mint is allowing the order takers to read off a memo to explain the distribution process to callers. That makes no sense
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

You forget they supposedly upgraded their online ordering infrastructure to handle more capacity. Not that the mintage will be the same as the 25th anniversary set, but a sellout of that mintage could take less than an hour if their upgrade was effective.
  • Options

<< <i>

You forget they supposedly upgraded their online ordering infrastructure to handle more capacity. Not that the mintage will be the same as the 25th anniversary set, but a sellout of that mintage could take less than an hour if their upgrade was effective. >>

upgrade will not be ready until the fall.

ibex, feel free to call yourself. that is why I did.

Not sure why I am being discouraged from passing along information I got directly from the Mint? whatever.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You forget they supposedly upgraded their online ordering infrastructure to handle more capacity. Not that the mintage will be the same as the 25th anniversary set, but a sellout of that mintage could take less than an hour if their upgrade was effective. >>

Not sure why I am being discouraged from passing along information I got directly from the Mint? whatever. >>

Stand strong, you bet, he raised, now you just have to push all in and ibex will fold.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not sure why I am being discouraged from passing along information I got directly from the Mint? whatever. >>

Stand strong, you bet, he raised, now you just have to push all in and ibex will fold. >>

can I split my ASEs and double down? image

• Options

<< <i>To be taken with grain of salt, for sure.

She was reading this from her notes or a script, and said 'they' came and told us all this, this morning and that she was surprised to have that news already, since they just showed up online yesterday. she also confirmed there is no press release from the Mint directly yet on these. >>

It is possible this is true.

I will speak to the real mint people this week. I'll confirm with them.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I hope so. Need to get some more bullion. Tired of chasing numi dreams image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    No brainer here guys. If priced at $125/set - both proof? Just buy and let the numbers shake out later.

Just think of your downside risk......that's right, virtually none.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    My Prediction Not only will the set of 2 coins be overpriced but the mintage will be so high the collectibility factor will be about the same as the 2006 sets............The mint is trying to make amends for the 25th set and this is going to be super overkill......look for limits of 2 per customer for the first 30 days ............IMO
  • Options
    The sale date on The Mint site is June 7, not June 6. Where are you all getting 6/6 from?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Canadians just issued the first one that does. Sold out very quickly. >>

say it isn't so!!! >>

It is so - AND it's done very well....

RCM glow in the dark Dino coin
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762

<< <i>My Prediction Not only will the set of 2 coins be overpriced but the mintage will be so high the collectibility factor will be about the same as the 2006 sets............The mint is trying to make amends for the 25th set and this is going to be super overkill......look for limits of 2 per customer for the first 30 days ............IMO >>

I generally agree. I don't know if they will be "overpriced" (though some folks consider anything over spot overpriced) but I agree with the rest.

My guess is mint to demand or a limit around 250,000. They will still be good sets, just not the great sets the 2012s were.

Mint to demand is probably better for the hobby than the former.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So we are now reduced to commemorating 25th-50th-75th etc. anniversary of buildings. >>

US Mint Building Yes.

However, they totally dismissed the 100th Anniversary of the US Mint Facility at Denver, Colorado!
    Fortunately, Daniel Carr Didn't!

I recall reading somewhere that when he was photographing the buiulding for this coin that the Mint Police started questioning him!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Great point about Denver. Looks like they need a new Congresswoman.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    From another forum....food for thought:

<< <i>Just read on the cointalk forum and someone spoke with a mint rep and they just read a released statement that they will stop taking orders after July 5, 2012 and there will be no limit on mintage. Price not yet released. So it may look like they will only take orders for one month. >>

Another:

<< <i>2 members over at kitco also spoke to a mint rep that said they will be taking orders for 4 weeks, and will mint to demand (no limits). But like many have said across the forums, I'll believe it when I see it in writing. But why would they fabricate a story? I'm inclined to believe it... >>

• Options
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Might there be a limit per HH yet ?
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From another forum....food for thought:

<< <i>Just read on the cointalk forum and someone spoke with a mint rep and they just read a released statement that they will stop taking orders after July 5, 2012 and there will be no limit on mintage. Price not yet released. So it may look like they will only take orders for one month. >>

Another:

<< <i>2 members over at kitco also spoke to a mint rep that said they will be taking orders for 4 weeks, and will mint to demand (no limits). But like many have said across the forums, I'll believe it when I see it in writing. But why would they fabricate a story? I'm inclined to believe it... >>

>>

If this scenario is true, what will happen? What can we reasonably expect for sales numbers? Seems to me this will help the 2011s & 2006s. Also, seems the 2012 proof "S" coin should still do pretty well...

Thoughts?
  • Options

<< <i>Might there be a limit per HH yet ? >>

if what people are hearing from the contractors is true, then I'd expect no HH limit.

• Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Might there be a limit per HH yet ? >>

if what people are hearing from the contractors is true, then I'd expect no HH limit. >>

K , Thank you so much !
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    This set will be great! Now we can have stacks of RPs accumulating. A few to toss as mini-frisbees or maybe to paint.image
  • Options
    which part do you paint!?!?!

if there is no HH limit and a month long "mint to order" period, the only flippers making money will be those receiving them first and those doing pre-sales.

these will be valuable to the collector's mostly, not really to the flipper community.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    With no HH limit I think these will still sell for a premium.

With only one month of sales mintage might still only be 250-350K which
    I think make these winners.

Joe

6 weeks to prepare, No matter mintage I will do 20 sets. 10 to grade and flip and 10 for the closet. image

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    The 2012-W proof has sales of 330k in less than two weeks. Therefore, I would think that the SanFrans would sell close to 1 million in a month.
  • Options
    imageCopied from US Mint catalog;

Adobe Acrobat Reader For only four weeks, from June 7, 2012, to July 5, 2012, the United States Mint will be offering a special new set to coin enthusiasts. The 2012 American Eagle San Francisco Two-Coin Silver Proof Set is an exquisite collection that captures the essence and timeless beauty of the American Eagle Silver Coins. This set -- one American Eagle Silver Proof Coin and one American Eagle Silver Reverse Proof Coin minted at the United States Mint at San Francisco -- is a testament to the fine, exacting craftsmanship that has been a United States Mint hallmark since 1792.

A special feature of this elegant two-coin set is the coin featuring a “reverse proof” finish. Reversing the mirror-like background finish of a traditional proof coin and applying it to the design elements of the coin achieves a magnificent contrast.

• Options

<< <i>imageCopied from US Mint catalog;

Adobe Acrobat Reader For only four weeks, from June 7, 2012, to July 5, 2012, the United States Mint will be offering a special new set to coin enthusiasts. The 2012 American Eagle San Francisco Two-Coin Silver Proof Set is an exquisite collection that captures the essence and timeless beauty of the American Eagle Silver Coins. This set -- one American Eagle Silver Proof Coin and one American Eagle Silver Reverse Proof Coin minted at the United States Mint at San Francisco -- is a testament to the fine, exacting craftsmanship that has been a United States Mint hallmark since 1792.

A special feature of this elegant two-coin set is the coin featuring a “reverse proof” finish. Reversing the mirror-like background finish of a traditional proof coin and applying it to the design elements of the coin achieves a magnificent contrast. >>

And if you hit the specification link, mintage= to demand

So, welcome the first 'affordable' RP.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>imageCopied from US Mint catalog;

A special feature of this elegant two-coin set is the coin featuring a “reverse proof” finish. Reversing the mirror-like background finish of a traditional proof coin and applying it to the design elements of the coin achieves a magnificent contrast. >>

And if you hit the specification link, mintage= to demand

So, welcome the first 'affordable' RP. >>

Please load up on these and lots of PCGS FS 70's. I'll pick up one set raw and one nice graded set after the glut hits the market.
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall the Mint doing something similar with the 1998 RFK dollar/JFK burnished silver half combo. Short ordering period, minted to demand, no household limits, price around $60 (or $85 in today's dollars). Around 62,000 sets were sold. The set goes for around $160-$185 raw today, primarily because the half is by far the lowest mintage Kennedy.

I think the 2012-S silver eagle proof/reverse proof set has a chance for modest appreciation but nothing like the jump experienced by the 2011 25th Anniversary Set. This is because neither of the two coins in the 2012-S set is likely to be anywhere near the lowest mintage for its type. That honor should continue to be held by the 1995-W proof (30k) and the 2011-P reverse proof (100k).

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    I'm thinking sales will reach 400 to 500K. I think it will sell for a small premium, but won't be a flippers dream beyond the first week of deliveries.

I'm basing my estimate on 2011 ASE proof sales at just over 400K during the first 4 weeks and 2010 ASE proof sales at a 6 week sellout of 800K.

What will be most interesting is how this eats into sales of other 2012 ASE products (both the W proof and unc).
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm thinking sales will reach 400 to 500K. I think it will sell for a small premium, but won't be a flippers dream beyond the first week of deliveries.

I'm basing my estimate on 2011 ASE proof sales at just over 400K during the first 4 weeks and 2010 ASE proof sales at a 6 week sellout of 800K.

What will be most interesting is how this eats into sales of other 2012 ASE products (both the W proof and unc). >>

...Don't forget this is not your Mama's regular proof. 800k in six weeks for a routine 2010 proof coin and this is an RP...could approach a million in a month

...One good thing is that we won't have to send unopened boxes for grading AND we can check the coins before submitting to see if they are worth paying the piper

...and...the chaos on the first day of availability will be lessened..not by much but at least a little image

...it does take a bit of wind out of the deal though. The thrill of victory just won't be there....
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    has the milk spot issue been resolved yet?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm thinking sales will reach 400 to 500K. I think it will sell for a small premium, but won't be a flippers dream beyond the first week of deliveries.

What will be most interesting is how this eats into sales of other 2012 ASE products (both the W proof and unc). >>

...Don't forget this is not your Mama's regular proof. 800k in six weeks for a routine 2010 proof coin and this is an RP...could approach a million in a month

...One good thing is that we won't have to send unopened boxes for grading AND we can check the coins before submitting to see if they are worth paying the piper

...and...the chaos on the first day of availability will be lessened..not by much but at least a little image

...it does take a bit of wind out of the deal though. The thrill of victory just won't be there.... >>

Thans for the numbers. What percentage of the regular proofs are purchased on the annual subscription?

and that box looks a lot like last years. what's the chance they learned anything from the 'loose coin' problem?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file