Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Silver Eagle two coin set in the works!

http://numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=25045

One proof one reverse proof both with S mint mark. imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Might get in on this one!
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    So much for the rumor of the S marked burnished eagle. Both coins are proofs (well one is a RP). The 3 would have been a nice set......

....of course nothing stops them from adding the burnished S later in the year and maybe we will then have a burnished set also...
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    "The mintage, price and release date of the set have not yet been set."

If limited mintage, I might be in for the flip.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More ultramodern junk from the US Mint.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flipper alert!
    Collectors continue in snooze pattern.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"The mintage, price and release date of the set have not yet been set." If limited mintage, I might be in for the flip. >>

Therein lies the key - limited mintage...YES, I'm in; unlimited mintage...NO, NO, NO!
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll get it if it glows in the dark.image
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee...the 25th Anniversary sets that I bought [and held] have only tripled in value...I wonder if I'll buy these...?

[sarcasm]
  • Options
    Actually...the celebrate the 75th anniversary of the SF mint...that's actually a pretty cool idea.

And when the limit is only one or two per HH...let the games begin!!!
  • Options
    I'll be in with 43 guns locked and loaded image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will buy a couple of sets.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    If limited mintage, I might be in for the flip. >>

Ug. Has it boiled down to this? I know most of us do some flippin' but do we have to make it sound like the main objective? Seems so crass.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After the Mint's experience with the 25th Anniversary Set sellout, I wouldn't be surprised to see an issue limit of 250,000 or more and a household limit of one or two sets.

With three down and more on the horizon, the reverse proofs may become a separate series distinct from the regular proofs.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ug. Has it boiled down to this? I know most of us do some flippin' but do we have to make it sound like the main objective? Seems so crass.

They still haven't stooped as low as Phillip Diehl in 1995. Stay tuned.

I'm waiting to see when the Mint finally makes it too difficult for collectors to do what they only wanted to do in the first place - collect. That's what Diehl did in 1995, making it prohibitive for anyone who didn't have $1,000 burning a hole in his pocket - to obtain one of a "limited mintage" of 30,000 coins.

This is just a garden variety version of "soak'em for all you can get". They're just getting warmed up.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree. They should have let well enough alone. Right after the 1995 SilverEagle, (10th anniversary) was when it got absurd! I love the ASE series but com'on!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    The mint might just make this a very high mintage issue, thus killing the value on the earlier Reverse Proofs. Some people will want just ONE -- for type.

"Giving away an MS-65 $20 St. Gaudens to everyone logged in when I make my 10,000th post..."
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ug. Has it boiled down to this? I know most of us do some flippin' but do we have to make it sound like the main objective? Seems so crass.

They still haven't stooped as low as Phillip Diehl in 1995. Stay tuned.

I'm waiting to see when the Mint finally makes it too difficult for collectors to do what they only wanted to do in the first place - collect. That's what Diehl did in 1995, making it prohibitive for anyone who didn't have $1,000 burning a hole in his pocket - to obtain one of a "limited mintage" of 30,000 coins.

This is just a garden variety version of "soak'em for all you can get". They're just getting warmed up. >>

I know flippin goes on and on a limited basis think it is ok. I just worry that to many of the new crop of "collectors" only has $ in their eyes and shows little appreciation for the coins themselves. I worry that more and more of us have a collection that consists of unopened boxes sittling in a closet that have never seen the light of day since they left the Mint. Seems the stock flippers became house flippers who became coin flippers leaving a trail of destortion where ever they go.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>http://numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=25045

One proof one reverse proof both with S mint mark. imageimageimage >>

Linkified Linkie

I'll buying a few of these sets!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ditch the reverse proof

make a 3 coin set of the bullion, proof and Unc. for a price lower than if they were bought individually.

that would sell well.

they are ruining the specialness of the reverse proof.

boooooo
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    I will definitely be getting one or more sets, I love the RPs. Thanks for the heads up!

Steve
  • Options
    johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭

<< <i>I will definitely be getting one or more sets, I love the RPs. Thanks for the heads up!

Steve >>

yeah shush! Nobody but us here need to know about this. wink.

and ordering and release is due before the new online ordering system... image

• Options
    ...and all you have to qualify to buy one of these sets...is to also buy 5 proof Buffs!!!

Only kidding!
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Here comes another long thread.....

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here comes another long thread..... >>

If not this thread, than another thread down the road once more details become apparent.

However, myself, I promise, not to sell, commit or obligate myself in any way the 75th SF Anny sets I may acquire to any pre-sale buyer no matter the circumstance.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...and all you have to qualify to buy one of these sets...is to also buy 5 proof Buffs!!![Q/]

I dont think they'll do that again!!!!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved my RP 20th anniversary and was bummed to spend all that time and not get the 25th RP to add to the collection.
    Now I can look forward to the new 75th SF mint edition.
    Cool.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The mint might just make this a very high mintage issue, thus killing the value on the earlier Reverse Proofs. Some people will want just ONE -- for type. >>

The 2006-P will probably continue to do okay, since it is the only one with the 1986-2007 reverse.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    After the 25th Anniversary experience,I wonder where all the coins in the set will go for grading. I think we should set up a poll.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    $124.95 Set price
    300,000 Mintage
    1 per hh

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Makes sense on a couple of different levels. The Mint can milk the ASE market again and also try to appease some of the folks who may have missed the 2011 set. Rest assured that mintage figures will be higher than last year. Personally I worry they are trying to milk this market too much (especially if we have unc. S and W mints this year). That said, I will be buying unless it looks like the mintages are high.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    <<More ultramodern junk from the US Mint.>>

Yeay!!!!! image
  • Options
    And a dozen more dumb labels from the TPGs
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see if they have updated their site by the time this fiasco starts.....
  • Options

<< <i>$124.95 Set price
    300,000 Mintage
    1 per hh >>

One per HH seems to low with 300K mintage! They should leave it at Five per HH. image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blow the flippers out and strike unlimited I say. A collector will still want one, but the clown factor will be reduced if they do that.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    My guess 5 per HH with 300k mintage. The mint will want these gone as fast as possible. They did a 10 per HH for the 20th Anniversary at 250K mintage. This is how they think-moving out items as fast as possible.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Blow the flippers out and strike unlimited I say. A collector will still want one, but the clown factor will be reduced if they do that. >>

No way, with an unlimited strike you could rule out half the collectors out there too.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you feel,that 25, or the 25th year, is a good round number to stop production, of this series? Think of it! If the mint would put a halt on this series, doesn't anybody feel doing this would really set this series "ablaze"? I think It would skyrocket up!All good things must come to an end! Agreements?Disagreements?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Whenever a series ends, e.g. the State Quarter Program( PCGS and NGC 70 Silver PF State Quarters took a major hit), etc there is waning collector interest. We shall see. The series will no longer be in the spot light. JMHO.
  • Options
    So we are now reduced to commemorating 25th-50th-75th etc. anniversary of buildings.

How may federal building do we need to issue coins to celebrate??
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>So we are now reduced to commemorating 25th-50th-75th etc. anniversary of buildings.

How may federal building do we need to issue coins to celebrate?? >>

As many as there is a profit in store ! ! ! !
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options

<< <i>So we are now reduced to commemorating 25th-50th-75th etc. anniversary of buildings.

How may federal building do we need to issue coins to celebrate?? >>

All of them that can mint the coins that commemorate themselves
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I bought 5 of the 2011 ASE 25th Anniversary sets -
    One to keep raw for the Eagle Album, and I had the
    four others certified as "First Strike". One set contains
    all "70's" - which I will keep. The others are a mix of
    68's , 69's & 70's. There seems to be no demand for
    these sets as there was when they were first released.

It seems the same was true for the 20th Anniversary
    three piece sets. ( I kept all of them raw in their original
    Boxes.)

Will I get the 75th San Francisco Anniversary "two piece sets ? "
    .... Yes, but, I think only two sets.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mintage for the 1995 Anniversary sets was 30,000+. They took several months to sell out and the imputed cost for the 95-W ASE was high (about $200).

The mintage for the 2006 Anniversary Sets was 250,000. They took several months to sell out @ $100/set.

The mintage for the 2011 Anniversary Sets was 100,000. They sold out in about 5 hours @ $300/set, and the Mint received tons of complaints over the way the sets were sold.

Let's examine which way things could go from here. If the Mint continues to offer multiple mintmarks in special limited edition sets, the desirability of the new offerings will no doubt depend on the anticipated mintages, and ALSO on the proliferation of these special issues.

(A side note - after the 1995 fiasco, I quit collecting ASEs entirely and became a Mint issue speculator. I bought (5) 2006 sets and (5) 2011 sets. I haven't ever bought any other Silver Eagles except as bullion. No more collecting them for me - once burned, twice shy.)

How many others are simply speculating now instead of collecting? The Mint's behavior encourages speculation, and in my opinion demand for collectible ASE issues will now depend more on the "performance" of all past and all forthcoming special issues, and less upon collector demand.

The pricing pattern for this type of speculation mimics those as for Air Jordans and XBoxes. The residual collectability is another matter. The Mint is charging a nice, fat premium for these sets - which makes the return on investment harder to gauge. especially in the short term.

EricJ uses previously-issued series as models for the newer series, and he likens ASEs to the Morgan Series. I don't know that the analogy will remain valid if the series becomes fragmented and if high-premium special issues become over-produced. At some point, the ASEs may become more comparable to the Classic Commemorative Half Dollar Series than to the Morgan Dollar Series. It took several decades for Commemorative Half Dollar demand to catch up with the over-proliferation abuse that the series endured during the 1930's through 1954. The lack of discretion by Congress in over-proliferation was the main reason for the series' discontinuance.

As a longterm speculator, I like <some of> the ASEs. As a short term proposition, I think that an over-proliferation of lower-mintage varieties sold at high initial premiums will dampen the short term prospects for profit. It's a dilution effect if the Mint lets it get out of hand. I don't think we are there yet, but we could be getting close.

If I were the Mint, I'd be careful not to alienate too many more collectors like they did in 1995 and again in 2011. They should stick to selling special sets to meet demand for awhile. Just my opinion.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Over saturation. 3 proofs this year and an ASE MS W. 4 X $60+ $240 yearly to keep up. I think collectors may opt out.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The mintage for the 1995 Anniversary sets was 30,000+. They took several months to sell out and the imputed cost for the 95-W ASE was high (about $200).

The mintage for the 2006 Anniversary Sets was 250,000. They took several months to sell out @ $100/set.

The mintage for the 2011 Anniversary Sets was 100,000. They sold out in about 5 hours @ $300/set, and the Mint received tons of complaints over the way the sets were sold.

Let's examine which way things could go from here. If the Mint continues to offer multiple mintmarks in special limited edition sets, the desirability of the new offerings will no doubt depend on the anticipated mintages, and ALSO on the proliferation of these special issues.

(A side note - after the 1995 fiasco, I quit collecting ASEs entirely and became a Mint issue speculator. I bought (5) 2006 sets and (5) 2011 sets. I haven't ever bought any other Silver Eagles except as bullion. No more collecting them for me - once burned, twice shy.)

How many others are simply speculating now instead of collecting? The Mint's behavior encourages speculation, and in my opinion demand for collectible ASE issues will now depend more on the "performance" of all past and all forthcoming special issues, and less upon collector demand.

The pricing pattern for this type of speculation mimics those as for Air Jordans and XBoxes. The residual collectability is another matter. The Mint is charging a nice, fat premium for these sets - which makes the return on investment harder to gauge. especially in the short term.

EricJ uses previously-issued series as models for the newer series, and he likens ASEs to the Morgan Series. I don't know that the analogy will remain valid if the series becomes fragmented and if high-premium special issues become over-produced. At some point, the ASEs may become more comparable to the Classic Commemorative Half Dollar Series than to the Morgan Dollar Series. It took several decades for Commemorative Half Dollar demand to catch up with the over-proliferation abuse that the series endured during the 1930's & 1940's. The lack of discretion by Congress in over-proliferation was the main reason for the series' discontinuance.

As a longterm speculator, I like <some of> the ASEs. As a short term proposition, I think that an over-proliferation of lower-mintage varieties sold at high initial premiums will dampen the short term prospects for profit. It's a dilution effect if the Mint lets it get out of hand. I don't think we are there yet, but we could be getting close.

If I were the Mint, I'd be careful not to alienate too many more collectors like they did in 1995 and again in 2011. They should stick to selling special sets to meet demand for awhile. Just my opinion. >>

JM some good points thank you. Please define short term and long term?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Will it be 1 or 5 Per HH ?
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limited mintage sometimes works against a series. The 2010 ATB 5 oz coins were limited to 27,000 P issues and the first ones sold out in days, with some hours. Now that limits are lifted they can't even sell 20k of the '11 ones.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Will it be 1 or 5 Per HH ? >>

2 or 3 per HH mintage 250k

just a guess
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    One per HH, 20,000 mintage. Let's make collecting interesting, forget the high mintage stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file