I have 108 and 109, give me a few minutes to scan and post

Mike
  • Options

• Options

Mike
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you know?

On July 4, 1939 Leonard pitched a complete game and the Washington Senators defeated the New York Yankees in the first game of a doubleheader at Yankee Stadium. After the conclusion of the first game, Lou Gehrig gave his famous "luckiest man on the face of the earth" speech

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Piggs! (Still dibbs on 191)
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Shane PMd me his #111 card since he was going out tonight. I'll tack on #112 before calling it a night.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was back from church a little while ago. Me, the wife, and kids just got done watching Cars 2 on Blu-Ray. Pretty neat flick.

Thanks for posting, Doug!

I'll take #115.

Shane

• Options
    Only 57 homers in 13 years mostly as a 3rd baseman, not great. But had a .969 fielding percentage for his career, that's great. Doug

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    On the closing day of the 1950 season, at Ebbets Field, Sisler hit a tenth-inning, opposite-field, three-run home run against the Brooklyn Dodgers that would give the "Whiz Kids" Phillies their first National League pennant in 35 years. Had Philadelphia lost, the Phillies and Dodgers would have finished in a flat-footed tie for the championship and a best-of-three playoff would have resulted. The home run made Sisler world-famous; Ernest Hemingway feted him in his novel The Old Man and the Sea.

Sisler was the son of Hall of Fame first baseman and two-time .400 hitter George Sisler.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On the closing day of the 1950 season, at Ebbets Field, Sisler hit a tenth-inning, opposite-field, three-run home run against the Brooklyn Dodgers that would give the "Whiz Kids" Phillies their first National League pennant in 35 years. Had Philadelphia lost, the Phillies and Dodgers would have finished in a flat-footed tie for the championship and a best-of-three playoff would have resulted. The home run made Sisler world-famous; Ernest Hemingway feted him in his novel The Old Man and the Sea.

Sisler was the son of Hall of Fame first baseman and two-time .400 hitter George Sisler.

image >>

And my good freind Doug,Dick was also the brother of Dave Sisler the big tall right hander who pitched for the Redsox,Tigers,and Reds.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>And my good friend Doug, Dick was also the brother of Dave Sisler the big tall right hander who pitched for the Redsox,Tigers,and Reds. >>

Pisano, the Sisler family WAS a baseball family, as older brother George Jr. was a longtime executive in minor league baseball.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Interesting stuff, guys.

Now, somebody hurry up and post #114 so I can post #115. I've got to leave in a little bit.

Shane

• Options
  • Options
    This George is from frankhardy- Shane.

• Options
    Not too EZ finding a decent looking autographed copy of this guy.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Gee the way we have been moving I better start warming up #159 Saul Rogavin.
  • Options
    Do you mind me asking why George is a difficult autograph Doug?
  • Options

<< <i>Do you mind me asking why George is a difficult autograph Doug? >>

Doug ... His autographs are probably plentiful on other items, but on the '52 set I think any of the players that died ~15 or more years ago are difficult to find on a good looking card. (I should have added at a decent price!) From what I have noticed, people nowadays are more concerned with the condition of the card they are getting autographed than they were years ago. Since I have been collecting the 52's I have not seen too many decent looking autographed Mungers.

I just saw that you posted one from Shane. LMK if you want me to take mine down.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    No,no leave the autographed version it's great, we'll just leave both cards since they were posted so close together. Thanks for the info on the signed '52 cards too.
  • Options
    Well ... it's been 4 hours and nobody posted the next card ... so here it is.
    In 1950 and 1951 Mr. Scheib had a combined record of 4-22. However, he did pitch for 11 years in the bigs. Perhaps his hitting ability was better, as in 468 lifetime at bats he had 5 HRs, 59 RBIs and a .250 average. Note on the back of his card ... he was only 16 when he played in the majors and he remained there for 11 years (except for a 2 year stint in the Army).

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    SHERM LOLLAR ... WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU????
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • Options
    I also just found #133 - Al Widmar.
    Mike
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to post #170. Thanks
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Famer Stan Musial said on an Ed Sullivan Show appearance that Raffensberger was the toughest left-handed pitcher he had ever faced and dubbed him "Crafty Raffy." FYI ... Raffy's Career W/L record was only 119-154, although he threw FIVE Shutouts in 1949 and SIX Shutouts in 1952.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    You guys have some great looking 52's. Doug, your signed ones are better than the ones from my unsigned team set. To those that don't know though, my goal is completion on my team sets, not necessarily condition. It'll be a while for my next one - #165/

Shane

• Options
    We are starting to get into numbers that I don't hve many cards of, so I better start helping when I can.

The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options

Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    Sweet Chakalas Dan very nice. Here's Gus don't call me Constantine Niarhos, a minor league manager once touted him the best catcher in the Yankeee organization. Uhh hmm better than Yogi? Maybe that's why he was a minor league manager. 1 career homerun in 9 seasons, yikes! One of my favorite cards of the '52 set and I thought it was a 7 at the worst. Oh well.

• Options
    Mickey McDermott fifth in K's in '51? That would place him 29th in the A.L. last year! Game has changed...
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    What an amazing story about Jackie, was the first person to play in a Rose Bowl, World Series and All star game:

He retired in his early thirties as baseball expanded westward, due to an intense fear of flying. As teams had increasingly turned to air travel in the 1950s, he had unsuccessfully sought to combat his aversion to flying, aided considerably by Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey, who arranged for therapy treatments. Once baseball expanded to the West Coast in 1958, and with further league expansion and constant air travel foreseen, these difficulties became virtually insurmountable. Jensen returned to play in 1961, but turned to hypnotherapy when his panic attacks at airports became unbearable. Frustrated by a sub-par season (.263, 66 RBI), he retired again for good.

• Options
    Wow. Didn't know that about Jensen. I can relate a little bit. I don't like to fly. I have never flown commercially. I have only flown in a helicopter, a 4 seat Cessna, and an (gulp) ultralight and I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!

Shane

• Options
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    The last line tells it all about poor Monte panning out as a starter. "He's used in relief". Poor guy.

• Options
    Although he played for ~7 seasons, I remember him as a manager.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Here is my last 1952 PSA 8. Will try to get the back in by end of day.

• Options
    Hey Doug, did you get that Bill Rigney from Mickey's Sportscards? I just bought a 1952 Topps Billy Johnson PSA/DNA from Mickey's. I don't have it yet, but I think it has the "MacAlister Collection" designation on the flip. I have bought several cards from Mickey's. If you haven't, I recommend the site.

Shane

• Options
    This guys legacy is huge here in Seattle. The Fred Hutch cancer research buildings take up about 5 city blocks in downtown. Cal Ripken Jr. was the keynote speaker a few weeks back for their annual auction.

• Options

<< <i>Hey Doug, did you get that Bill Rigney from Mickey's Sportscards? I just bought a 1952 Topps Billy Johnson PSA/DNA from Mickey's. I don't have it yet, but I think it has the "MacAlister Collection" designation on the flip. I have bought several cards from Mickey's. If you haven't, I recommend the site. >>

Shane ... I purchased MANY of my autographed 52s from Mickeys. When I first started buying from him he had 4 pages of 52's. Now it's down to ONE. About 6 or so months ago someone purchased about 2/3rds of all the 52s Mick had up for sale. He told me one guy spent a TON of money with him on the 52s.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Paul surrendered the first home run in Frank Robinson's career.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Only32 more cards to go for 159.Better get Saul back up in that whitesox bullpen and get ready to come in soon.This thing is moving pretty good now.This is truly a walk down memory lane for me.I have Charlie Maxwell #180 ready if we need him.
  • Options
    #128 on the way

• Options
    Nobody has the great Johnny Mize? I would LOVE to have this card image Should I post my 1983 reprint?
  • Options
    Johnny Mize on the way

• Options
  • Options

• Options
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Here's #133 - I'm heading out - so if someone can post it for me - then I'll delete it from here. TIA!

These are from my file - I owe you guys a bunch of back scans - will try to get to it tomorrow.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>#128 on the way

image >>

he is a distant relative of mine!! i got a signed one just because of the fact!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Didn't really want to post this card. I won't say ugly because it's amazingly clean and great corners but..........................................