Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Lets build a 1952 Topps set.

Comments

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Movin Mike's card down to the proper spot. I'll throw another card up before bed if know one else does. Doug

Joe Tipton and Lloyd Bridges, what do you think?

imageimage
  • tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    Just thought I would share that Topps 1952 #131 was my grandfathers first cousin from down in the sticks of Missouri, so he was my third cousin and my dad took me to visit him in Washington, MO when I was 13. Very cool to know he pitched for the Cardinals at one point in his career and also pitched to Mantle and some of the greats. His nickname was "LEFTY". He gave and autographed a couple of cards for me including a 52 and a 58. Just a great guy but sadly he died recently. He has one heck of a story. Here is the address if you are interested in reading it.

http://www.examiner.com/baseball-history-in-new-york/morrie-martin-former-brooklyn-dodger-and-world-war-ii-hero-passes-away-at-87
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Just thought I would share that Topps 1952 #131 was my grandfathers first cousin ... so he was my third cousin >>

That's a pretty kewl story!
    BTW ... he was not your 3rd cousin, but your First cousin Twice removed! Mr. Martin's grandchildren and you are Third cousins. (Yeah, it's confusing! LOL)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just thought I would share that Topps 1952 #131 was my grandfathers first cousin ... so he was my third cousin >>

That's a pretty kewl story!
    BTW ... he was not your 3rd cousin, but your First cousin Twice removed! Mr. Martin's grandchildren and you are Third cousins. (Yeah, it's confusing! LOL)[/q

My relatives from the old school were either cement men or shoemakers and one was a tailor at West Point.They could play Bocci ball real good though.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    #135 Dixie Howell -Sorry I don't have the back scanned. Cards are buried in a closet right now.

Since we have put together this great thread about the 52 set, I thought the below article would be fun to read. It's about the print runs of the 52 and 53 set.

Read and Enjoy.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
    Roy McMillan ... where ya at Rookie?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's Roy. Half of the greatest ss-2nd base combination ever. Johnny Temple and Roy McMillan. At least that's what I thought when I was a kid.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Here's the back. Not too good with technology. Only other size I was able to do looked like a postage stamp.

Ralph

Here's some high praise for Roy McMillan:

Hall of Fame member, Pie Traynor said, "McMillan makes his own bounces, He's the only present-day shortstop who can do that..he can take the ball on the half hop all the time, a very tough play." Leo Durocher hailed Roy as " the best defensive shortstop in the game today." Manager Birdie Tebbets declared, " Roy McMillan is the finest defensive shortstop I've seen in the last 20 years. He's a good run-batted-in man and his hitting is continually improving."
    Only played in the majors in 1950 and 1953 winning 8 games.

A mailman in the off season, Ken only played 20 games for the Red Sox in '52 before getting traded to the Senators.

Off to swim and run. BBL and I'll see if any more cards have been posted. I have the next few autographed.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I also have the next three autographed, but I am going to wait to give someone else a chance to post theirs.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Great watching the 52's spring to life!!! image

I wish I had some to share, but I'll just admire yours. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    LOL Roy McMillan working in a gasoline pump factory!!! How times have changed.image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

<< <i>LOL Roy McMillan working in a gasoline pump factory!!! How times have changed.image >>

Look two below him ... Ken Wood was a mailman in the off season. Most of these guys had blue collar full time jobs in the off season to provide for their families. The salary they received for playing ball was not enough.

I agree ... Times HAVE changed.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Great thread, wish I had more.

Sold a bunch last year.

Thanks for sharing guys.

Good for you.
    Well ... another 2+ hours has passed and nothing new added ... so here's Harry:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

17 more to go and Saul rogovin will make his appearance at #159 .
    This is what I need for my lawn............Les Moss.

Can everybody post their HOF's or only first dibs or best card or what? I'm getting nervous for my #191 image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

<< <i>Can everybody post their HOF's or only first dibs or best card or what? I'm getting nervous for my #191 image >>

I don't have a problem with multiple posts of the same card when it comes to Berra, Mays, Mantle etc. As long as they are posted around the same time and not spread out between other cards. JMO
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the better threads in some time!!!!!
    Mike

<< <i>I don't have a problem with multiple posts of the same card when it comes to Berra, Mays, Mantle etc. As long as they are posted around the same time and not spread out between other cards. JMO >>

I agree. Let's make sure though, as the other Doug stated, that they are posted IN ORDER. If we can keep this set in order throughout, it will be a GREAT reference to use.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

8 games pitched in, and 8.2 innings with a 0-0 record in the majors.
    After his playing career ended, Blake went on to become a plumber. He spent nearly 50 years in the plumbing business and was formerly the president of Plumbers Local 360.

A future lawyer...the Reds brought him up for a trial..LOL image

<< <i>A future lawyer...the Reds brought him up for a trial..LOL image >>

Looks like his law career worked out as well as his baseball career.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Looking at the stats of these pitchers, makes me want to get in a time machine and go see what the game looked like. Nearly everyone has more walks than strikeouts. Cliff Lee had like a 10:1 SO / BB ratio one year and these guys have 1:1.5.

Obviously hitters don't care if they strikeout these days, but what was going on prior to 1952? Where they just playing pepper?
    Like I have mentioned before, it's always nice when you can pick up an auto on a '52 Topps that's in decent shape.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Like I have mentioned before, it's always nice when you can pick up an auto on a '52 Topps that's in decent shape.

image >>

Gollie I wish I knew back in the 70s when I bought a bunch of 52 Tigers that this Set was going to be astonomical..I think I had most of them but the Hi #s.I think I paid a buck a piece for them then .I realised in later years I did not have them all and would you not know it they were all the Hi#s one being Billy Hoeft and the other was Freddie Hatfield.I do not remember having the Red Rolfe or Marlin Stuart in the lows.

Your Piggy They called him Pig House is a great lookin card. Franks dad recieved a Caddilac as part of Franks bonus.
    Picking up '52 Hi#s for a buck ... WOW!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Picking up '52 Hi#s for a buck ... WOW! >>

I am not sure whether he had any Hi #s because I did not have the Tiger HIGH #s or I would have bought those 2 not really realizing their value at that time.This was a time before the monthly price guides came out.
    Anybody got a Johnny Klippstein 1952 Topps card? image or should I post my '82 reprint version?
    NO REPRINTS PLEASE!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

if 159 comes up tonight I will put it on first thing in the morning>I do not want to look at this computer one more time tonight!!!!
    You better hope it does not pass you by my friend!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I'll be glued to the computer tomorrow to post #170.

Oh Gawd, I need to get a life. image

Ralph

<< <i>Oh Gawd, I need to get a life. image >>

You? Do you want to know how many friggin hours I spend a day on here? GEEZE!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Johnny was another mailman in the off-season and had a nice career with 101 wins. Love the '52 horizontals.

"He (Johnny Klippstein) passed away just after the Cubs scored that fifth run (in 11th inning of Game 3 of the 2003 NLCS). He was listening to the game as we had it on the TV at his bedside, clutching my hand and blinking to let us know he was aware of what was going on. He stuck out one more victory." - John Klippstein, Jr. (October 11, 2003)

Sorry guys I technically have posted 3 in row, the first was almost 13 hours earlier so hope I get a pass. Plus this is my first "8" to post. One of the sharpest '52s I own as far as clean picture and white borders.

Mr Kryhoski, another war vet in the '52 set:
    As a machinist's mate he served aboard the aircraft carrier USS Ticonderoga in the Pacific. The Ticonderoga supplied air support for the landings at Leyte and Luzon. In January 1945, the carrier was hit by two Japanese kamikaze planes, killing more than 100 sailors.

Great stuff Piggs!!! Beautiful card!
    Real nice card Doug. It looks as though Mr. Kryhoski is still a little startled from that kamikaze bombing.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

TED BEARD - Although he played for SEVEN YEARS in the Big Leagues, he played in only 194 games, had 474 at bats, 6 Home Runs and 35 RBIs.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Good morning ya all.Lets get this thing on a roll.image
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting on #165 Eddie Kazak, which is the next Cardinals player.

Doug, no need to apologize. If no one posts in a while or doesn't have a spot reserved, then go for it....especially on a beauty like that!

Shane