Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Lets build a 1952 Topps set.

Comments

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Wally is another '52 that is very hard to find centered, mostly left to right.

• Options
    How do you guys think this is going? It seems a little slow but I don't want it do die. I'm home all weekend and I'll give it 4 hours or so but if you have any cards coming up let me know or PM a picture of one you have and I'll be happy to put it in it's place. Doug

Al Evans last year in the majors was 1951 so his cards went a year longer than he did.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been a fun thread Doug - very nice cards.

I can't seem to find any more until the 200s?
    Mike
  • Options
    In the same boat, my next is 189 and feel like I've been waiting forever lol
    Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    When you (I) collect the autographed 52s you (I) don't mind a little writing on the back of the card when the front presents pretty well.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I'm counting 8 minor league cities he managed in. He must of really loved the game. BTW Gemint, another stunner, great card.

After his playing career ended, Overmire became a manager in the Tigers' minor league organization. Through the 1950s, he served as a manager in Little Rock, Terre Haute, Montgomery, Valdosta, and Decatur. In 1959 as manager of the Decatur Commodores of the Midwest League, Overmire was named Manager of the Year. He moved on to Durham in 1960 and Jamestown in 1962. From 1963-1966, he was a coach in the Major Leagues for the Tigers. In 1967, he managed Lakeland, and in 1970, he returned as the manager for Montgomery. He finished his career as a manger in Lakeland, Florida, where he served as manager from (1971-1975).

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Hey Guys! I have to step out for the night.If 159 comes up It will be put on in the early morning.I PROMISE!!!! Have to go baby sit.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Well ... gettin up early to run, so I'm hittin the sack now. I have 6 cards in the 160s to contribute, so let's see what happens tomorrow.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

• Options
    Bob Usher is one of the first TTMs I received when I started TTMing again 3 years ago.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    To say this guy had a interesting life is a understatement. I think the coolest info on the back of any baseball card:

Eddie Waitkus, the son of Lithuanian immigrants, grew up in Boston. Eddie began his pro career in 1938 playing for the Worumbo Indians, a semi-pro team sponsored by Worumbo Woolen Mill in Lisbon Falls, Maine. He saw some of the bloodier fighting of World War II with the U.S. Army in the Philippines, earning four Bronze Stars. Upon his return to baseball he quickly became a star for the Chicago Cubs. He also became a popular media figure, as he was well-educated and could speak several languages.

Just a few years into the start of what seemed a very promising career, Waitkus was shot in the chest by Ruth Ann Steinhagen, an obsessed fan, on June 14, 1949, at the Edgewater Beach Hotel in Chicago.[1] Steinhagen had become infatuated with him when he was a Cub, but seeing him every day in-season apparently kept her obsession in check. Once he was traded to the Phillies and would only be in Chicago 11 games in the season, her obsession grew to dangerous proportions. She checked into the hotel using the alias of a former high school classmate of his, and left a note at the desk asking him to come to her hotel room on an urgent matter. She then shot him with a rifle, the bullet barely missing his heart. He nearly died several times on the operating table before the bullet was successfully removed. Steinhagen never stood trial, but instead was confined to a mental institution. Steinhagen's obsession and stalking was covered at length in one of the Fireside Book of Baseball entries.

On the night of August 19, 1949, the Phillies held "Eddie Waitkus Night" at Shibe Park and showered Waitkus with gifts. Waitkus was in uniform for the first time since he was shot in Chicago. After the 1950 season, Waitkus was named the Associated Press Comeback Player of the Year.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    waiting for 161
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    Joined the original coaching staff of the 1969 Kansas City Royals. Friend wore uniform number 5 for the Royals, a number George Brett would later wear and retire. Friend died in Wichita, Kansas at age 80.

• Options
    Come on Orioles ... post it. Have #161 ready to go, but waiting for you to post it.

Edited to add: It's been over 2.5 hours since the last one was posted ... Orioles, you have another 15 minutes! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Sorry Orioles93 by your online light being off I'm going to step in with my off center Bud. I think with Doug's cards we could and should sweep through the 160-170's today. The other Doug

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry bout that. i wasnt home this afternoon. Ill get a different one!
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

<< <i>sorry bout that. i wasnt home this afternoon. Ill get a different one! >>

Post yours and I'll take mine off. No problem. Doug
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Here's a toughie to find centered. #162 Del Crandall

• Options
    STAN ROJEK

Stan was what a typical shortstop was back in the day. A guy who did not hit for power.
    In 1,764 Lifetime At Bats he hit 4 Home Runs.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    If my Charlie Maxwell #180 comes up before I go to Lakeland I will post mine. Its time to go lay down and listen to the ball game.Thats right 1957 Brooklyn Dodgers against the Pirates at Forbes Feild on Memorial Day Maglie against Vern Law.Several of the 52 guys are in this game.
  • Options
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a beautifully centered #165 Eddie Kazak. image

I'm out of the game until #196 Solly Hemus (unsigned and signed).

Shane

• Options
    I was just about to copy your card over Shane. Good thing I looked first.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was just about to copy your card over Shane. Good thing I looked first. >>

Just got in from church a few minutes ago. Thanks.

Shane

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patiently awaiting to post #170. I will check status first thing in the AM.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Great cards guys!

I'd like to jump back in with #201 and I'll hold off till #209 - these are some of my better centered cards.
    Mike
  • Options
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Bump for Bill Howerton, St. Mary's alum...anybody,Piggs?
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    Bill does not look so happy lol
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Well ... since it's been taking a while for cards to be added, I am going to list two cards in a row. If anyone has a problem with that, let me know and I will remove the second one.

CHARLIE SILVERA
    As a collector of autographs on this set, I will take cards that look like this all day long, despite the back once having been glued to an album(?).

HOWIE JUDSON

Calling GUS BELL. MR. BELL, you are on deck. #170, GUS BELL, is on deck.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    gray back

Ralph

• Options
    6 years in the bigs 15 wins for Ed.

• Options
    In Game 4 of the 1947 World Series against the New York Yankees, when Bill Bevens was attempting to complete the first no-hitter in the history of the World Series, Miksis pinch ran for an injured Pete Reiser with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning. He scored from first base with the winning run on the Dodgers' only hit of the game, Cookie Lavagetto's pinch hit double.

• Options
    Sent my Roy Smalley to him TTM on January 10, 2011 ... never received it back. He must have been too sick to sign, as he passed away on October 20, 2011. RIP Mr. Smalley.

OK ... who has one to post?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    My only regret is that I did not buy the 52s at a buck a piece in 1974.image
  • Options
    Here a go.

Ralph

• Options
    O Boy it looks like Old Paw Paw #180 will be called off the bench soon.
  • Options
    Calling the man who was the Yankees pitcher to start the first night game at Yankee Stadium on May 28, 1946. Also known as #174 in the Topps '52 set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Calling the man who was the Yankees pitcher to start the first night game at Yankee Stadium on May 28, 1946. Also known as #174 in the Topps '52 set. >>

The obscure Clarence Marshall.
  • Options
    "Cuddles" Seriously? Ouch. Someone please tell me they have Billy ball coming up next. He's one that I do not have. Doug

• Options
    Wow Doug - that's a beauty!
    Mike
  • Options
    Sweet Cuddles!! image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Step right up Billy Martin.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Charlie is getting nervous at #180 as he is sitting in the clubhouse now smoking up a storm.
  • Options
    Are we stuck?
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    I do not have him. Maybe we can do a APB with a thread calling for Billy, what do you think? Doug
  • Options
    I will be the bad guy with a reprint(30 year old reprint!).Just wanted to move things along. I can't wait to see Bob Ramazzotti!! Please delete if George rehires him and he shows up.