Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Lets build a 1952 Topps set.

Comments

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes Jeff, great card. The Ashburn is nice too.
  • Options
    Thanks to Jeff's nice card we didn't get totally skunked during the day. I thought I'd do the ole knocking down the domino's with a group of cards. Two from me, one from Mike who has cards in the waiting, another from me, then Mike again. If anyone wants to replace at least my cards you're more than welcomed as I can move them around. I hope I made total sense. image

• Options
    Mike's (Stone) card.

• Options
    My card.

• Options
    Mike's nice card of Joe. There you go.

• Options
    BasherBoyBasherBoy Posts: 510 ✭✭
    nice cards! I think my next is #243, I'll be watching though
    Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I have 7 of the 10 cards (autographed) from the 230's. Keep going guys. This thread is going to be an amazing reference piece.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed out on #220 Joe Presko. I was working late.

Here is #228 Al Brazle.

Shane

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found I have #238.
    Mike
  • Options
    Wasn't this the last time the Indians won the series?

The 1948 World Series between the Indians and the Boston Braves was tied at 1 when Bearden started Game 3 at Cleveland. The 28-year-old lefty was at his best, shutting out the Braves on five hits in a 2-0 victory; at the plate, he contributed a double and a single. In Game 6 at Braves Field, Bearden was summoned from the bullpen to relieve Lemon in the eighth inning. Bearden got the final five outs for a save and the Indians held on for a 4-3 win that clinched the championship. Wiki

• Options
    An apropos name for a baseball player!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    I can still get a few in here.

The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    Billy Cox ... where are you? You are slowing things down.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

• Options

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys...here is 233 Bob Friend. Quite a pitcher in his day. Thanks also for the compliments on the few that I have posted. I am really looking forward to the high numbers.

Jeff

• Options
    Thank you for your service Mr. Souchock.

In the military, served in the 691st Tank Destroyer Battalion of the 87th Infantry Division, US Army. He served in the European Theater of Operations. Serving the military for three years, he eventually earned the rank of First Sergeant. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge. His unit was attached to Patton's 3rd Army. Toward the end of his military service, Souchock earned a Bronze Star in Europe as commander of a five-man gun crew. He returned home with five battle stars in late 1945, Souchock said, "The war cost me three important years, as it did many ballplayers."

• Options

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Sorry don't know how to turn it sideways.

• Options
    And with this one I say GOODNIGHT!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I'm reserving #242 Tom Poholsky. It will have to be tomorrow though. I'm hitting the sack.

Shane

• Options
    I thought this was interesting, Houtteman fractured his skull in a car crash in March of '49 during spring training. The beginning of bussing for spring games.

As a result of the injuries to Houtteman and Yankees star catcher Yogi Berra due to car accidents, Cleveland Indians manager Lou Boudreau banned Indians players from driving, which forced them to ride chartered buses to exhibition games. Wiki

• Options
    I have #238

Mike
  • Options
    I just noticed I posted mine and Doug posted it also. Oops!

but mine has a different color background - is that OK Doug - or do you want me to delete it?
    Mike
  • Options
    I think it's fine to leave it Mike, they look good together. Nice card you have there.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it's fine to leave it Mike, they look good together. Nice card you have there. >>

Thanx Doug.

Ya know? It's an older flip - it might deserve a bump?
    Mike
  • Options
    Not just a great baseball name, a great name anywhere. Everett Lamar "Rocky" Bridges.

• Options
    Calling Jack Phillips. #240, Jack Phillips, you are up next. Just because you are one of just 23 players in major league history to have a Walk-Off Grand Slam, joining the likes of Hall of Famers Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Roberto Clemente, Roger Connor, Mickey Mantle, Carlton Fisk, and others like Tommy Henrich, Bobby Thomson, Derek Jeter and David Ortiz, does not give you the right not to show up here soon.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have one more after this.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Sorry for the delay. Here is #242 Tom Poholsky.

Shane

• Options
    BasherBoyBasherBoy Posts: 510 ✭✭

Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    Vic is a part of World Series history.

Wertz hit the long fly ball that Willie Mays caught in the 1954 World Series (see The Catch). It went over 450 feet to dead center of the Polo Grounds in New York, and a sportswriter said, "It would have been a home run in any other park, including Yellowstone." Wiki

• Options
    I'll take #263 Harry Brecheen (signed and unsigned).

Shane

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Vic is a part of World Series history.

Wertz hit the long fly ball that Willie Mays caught in the 1954 World Series (see The Catch). It went over 450 feet to dead center of the Polo Grounds in New York, and a sportswriter said, "It would have been a home run in any other park, including Yellowstone." Wiki

image >>

Vic actually had his homerun binge , not in 1947 but in 1950 . In 1947 he hit 6 homeruns .
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    My miscut Sherry Robertson card. One of the few players in the '52 set from Canada. Eh?

• Options
    Well lets get this thing going this morning. Here's HOFer George Kell.

• Options
    Hi guys...here is the next one. Just received this one but check out the TRIM job on bottom right side. WOW. What do I do with this??

Jeff

• Options

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    That's interesting Jeff, do you think it's just the tilt in the card? '52s are bad on being tilted, I know I own several of them. That is quite the drastic bottom edge though. Hmmm? Doug
  • Options
    Doug...it measures up short on that side with my JRuler and looks cut from the middle to the end. Guess I will need to call PSA and see what they will do. Too bad becuase it is a nice looking card.

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Doug...it measures up short on that side with my JRuler and looks cut from the middle to the end. Guess I will need to call PSA and see what they will do. Too bad becuase it is a nice looking card.

Jeff >>

Wow I can't believe that card got holdered. That should have definitely been evidence of trimming.
  • Options
    It's funny how we have all have gotten EOT cards back and we look at them and measure them and wonder why, send them back and then they get graded. Then a card like that. I don't know what PSA would say about that, if you sell it I guess you can be upfront about it and see what happens. I would also say, I don't think the bottom corners warrant a 7 grade.
  • Options
    So has it been discussed who gets the honor of posting #311?
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>So has it been discussed who gets the honor of posting #311? >>

It sure and hell is not going to be me! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So has it been discussed who gets the honor of posting #311? >>

It sure and hell is not going to be me! image >>

Me neither. I can't even afford the reprint.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Likely my last one guys. Not a blazer by any means. It's been fun and wish I had more to help with. Looking forward to the rest of the way.

• Options
    Can you believe this, Branch Rickey of all people. This is after Chico hit .315 during the previous minor league season and .364 in the playoffs.

His inability to speak English fluently may have caused Dodgers General Manager Branch Rickey to sell him to the Chicago White Sox although, Rickey later admitted that the move was a mistake. White Sox' General Manager Frank Lane solved the language communication problem by trading Carrasquel's uncle Alex for reliever Witto Aloma, who served as the interpreter between Carrasquel and White Sox' manager Jack Onslow. Wiki.

• Options
    In case this goes fast tomorrow - here's my next contribution.

Mike