Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Lets build a 1952 Topps set.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Thanks Jeff.

I am anxiously waiting to see who will be posting MY Holy Grail.

THE MICK is next!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Drum Roll
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    It's not the best looking Mantle by far but I've had this one for a long time. Bought it for $150 back in the 70's and it came back "altered" the first time sent in for grading. I know some other guys on the board has better but it's a Mantle. Doug

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Doug...any 52 Mantle is a good Mantle...especially one that is genuine and slabbed.

Jeff

• Options
    Beautiful Jackie Jeff, just amazing.
  • Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    For continuity's sake, please disregard this content
  • Options
    Bobby Thomson. 'nuff said.

Please forgive the presence of Allie Reynolds in the scan of the backs. History shows he had a drinking problem.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    #314 Campanella - I'll try to get a back scan up later. I will try to chime in with #333 Pee Wee Reese when it comes up.

• Options
    315 - Leo Durocher. Durocher appeared as himself in an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies in which he scouted Jethro due to his wicked fast fastball. However Jethro needed possum fat to get a grip on the ball. Durocher balked at this because of the rule against spitters. But when Ellie Mae revealed she could match Jethro's heat without the possum fat, prime time hilarity ensued.

The back shows what a little paper loss can do to a grade

• Options
    JR ... nice LEO! I'll take "2s" like that all day long. I remember that Beverly Hillbillies episode. Classic! IIRC they talked out back by the SEA-MENT Pond. LOL

BTW ... why don't you send PSYCHUMP a pic of that Billy Martin card. This way he could edit his post and replace the reprint with the original card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet Jackie Jeff!
    Mike
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Well I missed posting my black star campos, I'd like to post #316

• Options
    What happened to Bobby Thomson?
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What happened to Bobby Thomson? >>

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Bob!

Good to see you posting some of your 52s!

Thanx.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>What happened to Bobby Thomson? >>

It looks like my photobucket album got completely overwritten with the high number uploads. I need to go back and re-do everything cuz my image codes are no longer valid.
  • Options
    HUH? Your Bobby Thomson card shows up for me.

Edited to add: This morning your Thomson card disappeared for me as well!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Bob you should have just posted your whole set and saved us all this time.image Very impressive registry sets, man!
  • Options
    BasherBoyBasherBoy Posts: 510 ✭✭
    have we stalled out?
    Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    BWAHAHA!! The lurking reprint dude has come to the rescue!!!

Great Cuban Pitcher!! Somebody should own his card!! Writing in The Saturday Evening Post in August 1952, journalist Collie Small stoked the controversy by reporting that the wily hurler had at various times reported that he was “positively thirty-five, absolutely thirty-seven, indisputably forty-three, and definitely forty-two”—yet when pressed for details always coyly admitted (with appropriate amounts of journalistically jumbled foreign idiom) only that “Me old enough, but me not too old.” Story here.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    To the rescue...

• Options
    Marrero, who will turn 101 next month, is currently the oldest living former Major League Baseball player. He lives in Cuba, so TTMs are out with him. There is a guy who runs trips to Cuba who knows Marrero and up until about 3 years ago would take your card with him and get it signed for you. I think he used to charge $100.00 and I believe he gave all the money to Mr. Marrero. Unfortunately he stopped because Mr. Marrero, who is blind, was no longer in good health.

EDITED TO ADD: I believe his date of birth on his Topps card is incorrect. April 25, 1911 is what I have heard is correct.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Doug...really cool info there. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
  • Options
    Here are a few more...someone will have to help with Joe Black 321...

Jeff

• Options
    Thanks Jeff ... I thought it was interesting. Too bad I got involved with TTMs after the gentleman stopped taking cards with him when he went to Cuba. I spoke with the guy a couple of times and he did have some auto'd items from Mr. Marrero, but no 52 Topps.

BTW ... do any of you guys have any raw low grade Hi #s that you are looking to sell? I may be interested in some of the guys that are still living. PM me if you do.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Ok I edited my reprint but kept the story up because it is such a good read albeit long. Over seven hours earlier too but since this is such a clique there is no love for the reprint even though Downtown never mentioned not to and it does help if there are no cards available. Great cards Jeff!! image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options

<< <i> there is no love for the reprint even though Downtown never mentioned not to. >>

I think when he wrote "I dont anticipate ever owning an entire 52 set", he was not talking about not being able to afford a $300.00 reprint set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Here is the next one...anyone else think it looks like a 6? No wrinkles that I could find.

Jeff

• Options
    Nice card Jeff, some of the best 5's I've seen are from the 52 set for some reason. I would say since it's a high number it is more than worth it to resub that card. That's a 6 at least all day. Good luck.
  • Options
    BasherBoyBasherBoy Posts: 510 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice card Jeff, some of the best 5's I've seen are from the 52 set for some reason. I would say since it's a high number it is more than worth it to resub that card. That's a 6 at least all day. Good luck. >>

looks sixy to me too!
    Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> there is no love for the reprint even though Downtown never mentioned not to. >>

I think when he wrote "I dont anticipate ever owning an entire 52 set", he was not talking about not being able to afford a $300.00 reprint set. >>

Just what i'm saying, big clique all about the $ not about posting a card that no one has the original of. Missing the boat on that one. I cannot afford the set either so I did purchase the reprint set and I am proud to post a card that nobody has to keep the string alive and bring to notice what cards are missing, not to mention the history of said player. If the OP wants me to stop then I will.
    Maybe next we should do a 1953 Topps set PSA 3 or higher so only the clique can post.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think when he wrote "I dont anticipate ever owning an entire 52 set", he was not talking about not being able to afford a $300.00 reprint set. >>

Just what i'm saying, big clique all about the $ not about posting a card that no one has the original of. Missing the boat on that one. I cannot afford the set either so I did purchase the reprint set and I am proud to post a card that nobody has to keep the string alive and bring to notice what cards are missing, not to mention the history of said player. If the OP wants me to stop then I will. Maybe next we should do a 1953 Topps set PSA 3 or higher so only the clique can post. >>

Clique? All about the money? I think the OP thought it would be fun if we, as a group, could post what is arguably the most important set to ever be produced. MANY of the cards that I posted are not worth even $50.00. Now, as we get into the HI #s, that's a different story. I don't own ANY HI#s. If we were going to post the reprints, there would not be much of a challenge, as many people own the reprint set. I used to have one as well and think it's a fun set to own.

Regarding your quote "not about posting a card that no one has the original of." Well, so far we, as a group, have been able to post the first 322 cards ... I think that's pretty kewl.

This thread, IF we get it finished, should be a great reference in the future.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    All of you high fallutin' card collectors and no Bubba (LOL)? Let's let low rent reprint dude show everybody what the card looks like. Apologies to the originalists and I will immediately delete my reprint as soon as an original is posted as I did with Billy Martin.
    Integral part of the 1950 Whiz Kids and 1951 he was even better!
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    Ted ... Serena MUST have been on Steroids in 1947! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Looks like this thing is stuck again. Maybe Bobsbbcards can help us out with a scan. I know he has the whole set listed in the registry.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it would be more difficult when we got to the high numbers. Perhaps Davalillo could help if only someone could show him how to send scans. I'd love to see some high grade 52s. Personally I will only be a spectator as I have no highs.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Happy to help...not the highest grade but looks much better than a 3.

Jeff

• Options
    I agree Jeff ... looks MUCH better. Is there a problem with the back? Creases we cannot see?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Doug...no creases and the back is clean and centered. I am blown away on a bunch of my 52 highs that have ridiculously low grades. I am going to crack a bunch of them and try my luck at some point. Guess I can't complain as I paid 3 money for it.

Jeff
  • Options
    Uh-oh, another reprint! Bah!

International League HOFer. MVP in '51, but no MLB dingerz image
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Well moving on then. Have to replace the reprints later. Here's the next couple if nobody minds me posting 2. I'll edit it with back scans later.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got dibs on #234 Wilmer Mizell.

Shane

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ben trying to win a Turk lown for a while now with no luck, anyone haveone to post? I'd like to post my 333 psa/dna image
  • Options
    have we stalled out? Do we need a reprint? Someone just buy a Lown so we can continue!
  • Options
    bump to top
    need some pics