Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B new additions...Magazine and Order Form Photos...dpeck100 new addi

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2017 8:37AM

@Dboneesq said:
    David ... sorry to hear about your dog.

This post was flagged twice. SMH

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

• Options

I haven't been buying much lately and just got these in the mail this week. No intentions to collect the set but will probably pick up a few more stars from it.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2017 5:48PM

I finally got a chance to scan these.

Edit: I need to clean my scanner! Haha

• Options

Greg and I are talking about going to the signing in Orlando. He has been in contact with Hogan's guy and hoping it works out. Got this stash to get signed.

• Options

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    1982 Wrestling All Stars Jesse Ventura PSA 10 Gem Mint. This is really a pop 3 as one of the 10's was crossed over to BGS and I own it but it was damaged and has an issue with the edge so I tried to cross it back with no luck.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Greg Valentine Gem Mint PSA 10. This is a Pop 1 and super tough in PSA 9 Mint. I am very excited to add this to the set and another major Pop 1 to add to the Dpeck100 collection.

I check the pop reports every day and when these hit I emailed a few dealers that have sold high end Wrestling All Stars in the past and tracked them down. They cost top dollar but I don't mind paying it when I can get cards that upgrade my sets and I don't have to deal with the stress of a 7 day EBAY auction.

These are major additions to the Series B set!

congrat!!!!

• Options

I had to check and see how old that post was. Amazing that was over five years ago. Only one fresh Ventura but Valentine didn't turn out to be as tough with a Pop of 7 now.

• Options

It's been a tough month. My wife and I are taking our niece Lezzette out for her 21st birthday!

• Options

I cleaned my scanner thoroughly and you can tell. I just got this card this weekend in the mail.

• Options

Ken Patera was so cool. Happy to add another high grade copy to my collection.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious...do you have a good relationship with the other top guys on the registry? Any chance they will ever part with the three 10s you still need? Or are you
    more focused on submitting your own?

• Options

@PaulMaul I have a reasonably good relationship with Ray and Joey from our emails and transactions over the years. Both seem very focused on acquiring the nicest cards they can. I haven't submitted a PSA 10 from the 1982 A in over six years. There are 62 cards that have graded a 10 from the set and 2 that I know of early on that were crossed over to BGS and I have 30 of the them. I was very fortunate to be so aggressive years ago in my purchases of both raw and graded cards. If either were to part with a card I need I am sure they would want to trade and as you can see I am not very good at parting with cards.

• Options

One of the primary reasons the PSA graded copies and bring so much more in high grade is this right here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-WRESTLING-ALL-STARS-SERIES-A-HARLEY-RACE-8-BGS-9-MINT-/222621047450?hash=item33d53f9a9a:g:w9AAAOSwQWlZnFXj&nma=true&si=JXoqXlk2%2BB4GWzL4AOIVH2bCfO0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This card would grade a PSA 9 OC or straight 7 if no qualifiers are requested. BGS is all over the place on their centering grades on these cards and there is a ZERO percent chance PSA if they had sub grades would award this a 9 for centering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Wrestling-All-Stars-Series-A-2-Hulk-Hogan-RC-Rookie-BGS-8-5-w-9-5-/372060220753?hash=item56a0846d51:g:xq8AAOSwzPBZpX4k

They gave this Hogan an 8 for centering and I don't see much difference. This would be a PSA 7 as well. If the cards don't have much lower border I don't even sub them at this point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BGS-9-5-GEM-MINT-HULK-HOGAN-1982-WRESTLING-ALL-STARS-ROOKIE-ICONIC-CARD-/172811998597?hash=item283c65d585:g:7Q0AAOSwighZiVpH

Here you have a BGS 9.5 grade for centering and once again it is glaring obvious this has no chance of crossing over and while this would most likely grade a PSA 7 it might with a very slight chance get an 8 due to overall eye appeal and condition.
    This is why the hunt is so tough and also so far why you have yet to see many 10's and no 10's on Hogan.

• Options

Very nice to see a set of Wrestling All Stars being offered in the REA auction. Wrestling cards have made the big time! :)

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=48498

• Options

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=48498

I wondered how this set would do being offered in a major auction house's auction. I think the closing price of $1,440 was very strong and I had the break up value at $1,100 or higher.

Very nice to see!

• Options

After breaking my card drought with the addition of the Holofoil Brock Lesnar I added a couple of other new cards to my collection that I am very excited about.

I have always wanted a PSA 10 of the 1985 Topps WWF yellow Hulk Hogan. Brock led me back to cards and searching to see how much a 1985 Topps Hogan went for led me to the 1982 Wrestling All Stars. This example is a real beauty and it was a perfect transaction.

It looks perfect next to the blue Hogan!! I was really excited to add it to my collection and I think it is one of the better wrestling cards ever made.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2018 6:10PM

This has got to be one of the coolest EBAY stories I have. About three weeks ago I was searching EBAY and came across an example of the 1981 Marusho Pro Wrestling Hulk Hogan. I wasn't sure of the name of the set so I did a Google search and found some threads on it. In the mean time I sent the seller a message to see if they would consider turning it into a Buy It Now as it was an auction listed with an opening bid of $19.99 and I was willing to make an offer. He wrote back the next day "No auction style" so I went ahead and bid the opening increment. A few days passes and still the top bid. I go to watchcount.com and see only one other watcher and only 24 page views so I feel I have a shot to get the card at a good price. With two days to go I see it gets ended and relisted and sold at $225 right away. I was ticked as there has only been one other I have ever seen listed on EBAY. I sent the seller a message and said "Why did you end the Hogan early? I was going to bid more than you sold it for." I hear nothing back and move on.

A week or so passes and I get an email from the seller saying he listed a card and wants me to buy it. It is under Tiger Mask. I was confused and couldn't find it listed and then finally I find the Tiger Mask and said it isn't a Hogan. He writes back buy Tiger Mask and I send you Hogan. I said okay I will give it a shot and snag the card and pay right away.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-wrestling-1981-Tiger-Mask-1st-new-japan-card-vintage-mexico/122952055687?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

A few minutes passes and he sends a pic of a Hogan and said I will send this. I felt good about it but wasn't 100% just because you never know. Mail day today from Japan.

He sent the Hogan!!!!! Card has an upper left corner ding but this is the type of card you will take in any condition. It was a mystery why the front looked like it does and there are images of a purple backed robe he wore in 1981. Just a few weeks ago I had taken this photo and text it Rob (WCK) and said wow the purple robe has the colors on it!!! From a match in 1981 at MSG. Really excited to add this to the collection!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dpeck, Great Ebay story and a great pickup. Congrats.

• Options

@JBrules said:
    Dpeck, Great Ebay story and a great pickup. Congrats.

Thank you for checking out the thread and leaving a comment.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

great pick up on that hogan. does psa grade that set yet? how much do the 81 popy hogans sell for now a days?

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

@eagles33

I don’t believe so but perhaps one day they will.

Would love to have it in a PSA holder. Low technical grade with the corner but still awesome in any condition.

Perhaps @wrestlingcardking can comment on Popy. Still trying to land one.

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Awesome! Congrats on landing that. There is also a pretty cool Andre in the set too. I haven’t been able to expand the checklist in the past two years, but it is a pretty big set and I am sure there are another dozen or so Cards to go.

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

Cool story about the seller in Japan. Glad he sent the Hogan!

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

@mcadams

Long time no see. Nice to see you posting again.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2018 4:53PM

I just got in the mail today a fresh 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B pack and ripped it right open.

It is standard to have some corner issues on some of the cards but overall a great pack with strong overall centering.

This Ricky Steamboat has virtually no black smudge along the bottom and is extremely nice.

I have the only PSA 9 of the Chief Jay Strongbow and this one may give it a run for its money.

It is so hard to find an Orndorff this well centered and sharp.

This is a very strong Killer Kahn and so far only one PSA 9.

There are 16 of the 36 that went into my review stack so there are definitely a few others that will be going to PSA.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've got a couple that make a strong case for a PSA 9.5 (the first two blue border). The Strongbow is by far the weakest of this bunch after the amazement of the corners/edges, IMHO, if the border color is as uneven as it present in the scan.

Is Khan a corner of the sheet card?

• Options

Here is the sheet.

• Options

Here are the others. I am afraid this Gagne is just a touch to OC to grade mint. Very close.

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Wow, those are really sharp! Backs looks good too?

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:
    Wow, those are really sharp! Backs looks good too?

Yes the backs looks great. There were others in the set that looked good but some minor fraying on the back.

I am buying a renewal today on my CC Platinum membership to get these shipped out to PSA as soon as possible. Going to have to get creative to fill 15 spots but I will figure it out.

The Steamboat is the nicest I have ever seen and nicer than the two PSA 9's I own with a total Pop of five. We shall see what the graders think.

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Good Luck on that Steamboat David. Keep us posted.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@RookieHOFers said:
    Good Luck on that Steamboat David. Keep us posted.

Thank you!

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Here is the sheet.

cut !!!

Haha

Aside from really wanting to have it in my collection I am glad it resides there so someone else can't!

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

SGC will do it for you

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

I called PSA and got a 15 card Platinum CC voucher and I am sending in a total of 15 from the pack. Here are the others.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Jimmy Valiant looks like he was in a barbed wire match with Cactus Jack!

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options

I have been having fun collecting these 1985 Topps WWF stickers. Here are some scans.

• Options

David, are these your submissions? Nice cards!

• Options

@Time4aGansett said:
    David, are these your submissions? Nice cards!

Ventura, Albano and Andre I self submitted.

The stickers are tougher than one might think. They come sharp out of the rack packs I opened but centering, chipping, and lots of print dots are common.

The top set better be careful because I am coming for him. :)

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/company-sets/1985-topps-wwf-stickers/alltimeset/266957

• Options

Awesome to see you on another project. I would be worried if I was the other guy and you were coming after him. I am going to check out the rankings.

Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

It is coming down to the wire. Today is business day 22 with four holiday non business days extending the overall wait time significantly. I am not certain if any of the 15 cards I have sent in will grade high enough for an upgrade to my set but there is a chance. It has been over a year and a half since I have had an upgrade to my Wrestling All Stars sets and if none of these grade high enough this will be my first calendar year striking out. Would love to have my order pop before the end of the year just in case!

• Options

Good luck!

• Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018 9:36AM

Dpeck, I appreciate your help on assisting me with which ones to submit from the set I recently purchased. As of right now, I'm subbing 22 cards from the set (6 from Series A and 16 from Series B ). I will post pics of the ones I decided on. This is a fun set. Time will tell if it was worth the gamble. I am subbing over 150 cards at the bulk level. So I'm guessing I won't see the grades until about April. Will update with grades then.

• Options

I am waiting on a bulk that logged at 10/26 and then shipped another bulk to PSA on 12/24.

• Options

Here's what I am subbing after our discussions, dpeck. I'm sure most won't get 10s but there are some candidates IMHO. Some of these do well in grades other than 10. You have to grade Andre, Hogan and Flair, no matter the condition. Wish the Hogan didn't have that big print dot, it's a stunner other than that.

• Options

You ave some nice sharp cards in the mix. There are a good number of cards from the set where there aren't any 10's and plenty with a very low number of them.

I think you will be very pleased with how these look in holders.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2019 9:25AM

What a bummer to here the news that Mean Gene has passed away. He was so great!

• Options

I am on business day 31 with 4 holiday days on top of it. The suspense is killing me.

In 2010 when I did my first Collectors Club voucher sub it was a 5 business day turnaround and mine were done in 4.

Hoping this order pops soon and hopefully some solid grades!