Home Sports Talk
Options

Tim Tebow

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Here is a quote from Tom Brady. Brady made this quote just last week. He is basically calling 1985fan and mlbfan turds....
    Came from Yahoo Sports

Brady also was asked about Tim Tebow (naturally) and the other quarterback du jour, Texas A&M lightning rod Johnny Manziel. In a roundabout answer — prompted by a strange question about his own excitement on the field, it should be noted — Brady seems to frown upon Manziel's antics. The answer comes around the 10:27 mark:

"I get pretty emotional. I have a lot of respect for the teammates, for my teammates, for my organization, and certainly for other guys in the NFL. There's not a guy playing in the NFL who hasn't earned the right to be here, and who isn't supremely talented. He's probably been the best athlete in his high school class, in his elementary school class. So when you look across the ball you have respect for those guys, and you treat them with respect because football's a physical game. And as RKK [Patriots owner Robert Kraft, who also was on the set of the show] would say, if you're a turd, it's going to come back to you."
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Yes Tom Brady stuck up for a (then) teammate. Surprise! The problem remains that Tebow is no longer an nfl quarterback. His record as a starter doesn't relate his complete inability to play the position. It's obvious you are unable or unwilling to see that Tebow simply doesn't have the tools to play quarterback at the nfl level. I've said it doesn't make him a bad guy it just means he doesn't have the skill to do it.

I'm sorry you're so emotionally invested in Tebow. I'm sorry the guy who you've obviously spent so much energy defending has proven to not be qualified to do his job. But the fact remains: Tim Tebow is awful at his job and why he finds himself unemployed.

Keep your chin up though buddy! Maybe he'll get an arena football job (but I doubt it!)
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Kinda funny that a lot of people (myself included) thought edmundfitzgerald was an axtell reincarnation. At the time, ax was bammed with his second alias and it had, from what I recall, less than 100 posts and EF appeared shortly thereafter. The timing and ship story were just way too much of a coincidence. In case I never did, I apologize to EF for the misunderstanding.

<< <i>It's your opinion. >>

Some people are incapable or unwilling to differentiate an opinion with a factual statement. We all know who unintentionally paints them self as truly ignorant but, I still have faith in humanity and pray it's all an act.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Or, Axtell is so creative, that he created another account so that he could argue with himself image

Not that that would confuse anyone here.

Or perhaps edmundfitzgerald had an enlightening experience, where he has changed a little over time image

Perhaps we should ask Axtell to find out the real story image
  • Options

<< <i>
    Some people are incapable or unwilling to differentiate an opinion with a factual statement. >>

Right. Suggesting Tebow is terrible at his job as an NFL QB and is unfit to play is fact. His QB numbers prove it, and the FACT that he no longer has a job in the NFL is a FACT. When your numbers as a passer (a QB's FACTUAL job analysis) prove you are not only mediocre, but way below average, you have facts to back it up. It's not opinion to say he's unfit to play QB in the NFL, as there's is ample statistical evidence to back up that statement. Throw in the fact that, once again, he is UNEMPLOYED as an NFL QB, and that not one NFL team has him on their roster is all the FACTS ones needs to prove he's not an NFL quality talent.

What's opinion, is the idea that he 'won' those games as a starter for Denver. 'Wins' for an NFL QB are as about as meaningful as wins for a starting pitcher. What's opinion is the debate over cold weather/warm weather locations for the super bowl.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    For the record, we've known for a *long* time you weren't him. Can't remember but think you either traded with someone or it just became obvious.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i> Can't remember but think you either traded with someone . >>

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what should the Jags to now? Sign Tebow, sell some more tickets, and go 2-14 or 3-13, or stick with Gabbert, and go 0-16 and get the #1 pick? And if Manziel enters the draft, he might pull an Elway or Eli Manning and refuse to sign.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see Tebow play pro football (Arena league, CFL, NFL it does not matter) at the starting QB position for an entire year or two without the spotlight or the media circus (which probably would not happen unless he changed his name, kept his mouth shut and had plactic surgery to change his appearance). If he could do this, then it could be determined, on the field, how good or bad of a starting QB he is.

The fact that he does not thrown the ball very well does not mean that he could never be successful. At one time in pro football there was no forward pass and teams, including the QB ran the ball every down. Just because the current norm in pro football is "passing" first and "running" second, does not mean that it will stay that way forever.

I suspect that if Adrian Peterson (or in prior years Emitt Smith, Walter Payton, of Jim Brown) had to play quarterback for some reason (even if he could not throw passes very well but otherwise had the skill set to play QB) and the Vikings decided to implement an offense that features a running quarterback who also throws every once and a while, the public, the media, coaches, management and the league would not denounce AP and the Vikings for doing so. If it turned out to be a success with the Vikings posting winning records and going deep into the playoffs, AP and the Vikings would be praised as "visionary".

I am a Denver Bronco fan and I enjoyed watching Tebow play starting QB for the last part of the 2011 season. It was both thrilling and aggravating at the same. The playoff win over the Steelers was great. The loss to the Patriots was the pits. The three game losing streak that followed the 7-1 winning streak after Tebow took over the starting QB slot was the pits and showed that teams were beginning to figure him out. But for the Raider's losing their final game allowing Denver to back into the AFC West crown and a playoff spot, Tebow mania would have likely died out quickly (no playoffs and a 3 game losing streak to end the season).

If Denver had not pursued and signed Manning during the break between the 2011 and 2012 seasons, it would have been very interesting to have seen Tebow (assuming Elway and management would have allowed it to happen, which is a big unknown) start for the Broncos for the entire 2012 season. I wonder if he would have been successful or a disaster or average.

Did not happen, since Denver went another direction with Manning. Tebow went to the Jets and did not play. He gets released by the Jets. He gets signed by New England for 2013 and gets cut at the end of training camp.

• Options

<< <i>It would be interesting to see Tebow play pro football (Arena league, CFL, NFL it does not matter) at the starting QB position for an entire year or two without the spotlight or the media circus (which probably would not happen unless he changed his name, kept his mouth shut and had plactic surgery to change his appearance). If he could do this, then it could be determined, on the field, how good or bad of a starting QB he is. >>

That's what practice is for. And even during practice, he is unable to get better at throwing the football with anything resembling accuracy. His problems at QB have nothing to do with media coverage - it's simply a shortcoming. This doesn't make him a bad guy, it simply makes him like the 99.9999% of the human population which are not professional caliber QB material.

<< <i>The fact that he does not thrown the ball very well does not mean that he could never be successful. At one time in pro football there was no forward pass and teams, including the QB ran the ball every down. Just because the current norm in pro football is "passing" first and "running" second, does not mean that it will stay that way forever. >>

Actually, if at this point in time, after a near lifetime of playing QB, he is unable to be an accurate passer, it's not going to happen.

<< <i>I suspect that if Adrian Peterson (or in prior years Emitt Smith, Walter Payton, of Jim Brown) had to play quarterback for some reason (even if he could not throw passes very well but otherwise had the skill set to play QB) and the Vikings decided to implement an offense that features a running quarterback who also throws every once and a while, the public, the media, coaches, management and the league would not denounce AP and the Vikings for doing so. If it turned out to be a success with the Vikings posting winning records and going deep into the playoffs, AP and the Vikings would be praised as "visionary". >>

Strawman, designed to set up a fake scenario for you to only defeat to attempt to move your point forward. Next point.

<< <i>I am a Denver Bronco fan and I enjoyed watching Tebow play starting QB for the last part of the 2011 season. It was both thrilling and aggravating at the same. The playoff win over the Steelers was great. The loss to the Patriots was the pits. The three game losing streak that followed the 7-1 winning streak after Tebow took over the starting QB slot was the pits and showed that teams were beginning to figure him out. But for the Raider's losing their final game allowing Denver to back into the AFC West crown and a playoff spot, Tebow mania would have likely died out quickly (no playoffs and a 3 game losing streak to end the season). >>

In that span, if Miami had the basic comprehension of how to cover an onside kick, Denver doesn't win that game, they have no shot of the playoffs, and the Broncos finish with a losing record.

<< <i>If Denver had not pursued and signed Manning during the break between the 2011 and 2012 seasons, it would have been very interesting to have seen Tebow (assuming Elway and management would have allowed it to happen, which is a big unknown) start for the Broncos for the entire 2012 season. I wonder if he would have been successful or a disaster or average. >>

Elway was long on record he didn't want Tebow back, and if there's any single NFL executive who knows what it takes to be and win as an NFL QB, Elway is that guy. 0

<< <i>Did not happen, since Denver went another direction with Manning. Tebow went to the Jets and did not play. He gets released by the Jets. He gets signed by New England for 2013 and gets cut at the end of training camp. >>

When you can't impress coaches enough in practice to give you playing time, then you aren't deserving of a job in the NFL. Just because your team won some games, doesn't give you a lifetime pass.

For the record, I think Tebow is a perfectly fine human being. What's not normal is the unending fanaticsm that his fans possess in trying to defend giving him playing time, despite the facts that he has shown repeatedly he doesn't possess the skill sets needed to compete in the NFL. He continually says that he wants to be an NFL QB. That's a fine goal, but it doesn't mean he gets special treatment. There's a laundry list of former Heismann award winners who have failed to compete at the NFL level. Tebow is no different. He has proven plenty in his time as an NFL QB career - it's time for him to move on.
  • Options
    My primary point in my recent post to this thread is that absent Denver obtaining Manning (and again making a huge assumption that without Manning Denver would have kept Tebow as its starting QB for the 2012 season) it would have been interesting to see Tebow start for an entire season.

If that had happened he could have been a big bust, could have been average or could have been great. If he had been a bust, all of his supporters who think he would be great would have to concede he flopped. If he had been great, all of his detractors would have to concede he is worthy of a starting QB job. Not having it happen simply prolongs the acrimony between his supporters and detractors.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My primary point in my recent post to this thread is that absent Denver obtaining Manning (and again making a huge assumption that without Manning Denver would have kept Tebow as its starting QB for the 2012 season) it would have been interesting to see Tebow start for an entire season.

If that had happened he could have been a big bust, could have been average or could have been great. If he had been a bust, all of his supporters who think he would be great would have to concede he flopped. If he had been great, all of his detractors would have to concede he is worthy of a starting QB job. Not having it happen simply prolongs the acrimony between his supporters and detractors. >>

The point people have been trying to make and is evidenced on this thread is that if Tebow started all of the 2012 season and flopped his cult of followers would blame everybody else except Tebow for his poor play. They would never concede that it was Tebow's own fault. They would blame his teammates, the coaches, Elway, the weather, the refs, etc. Anybody else except Tebow. They simply cannot see the facts for what they are. It'll always be somebody else's fault.

His cult of followers keep talking about his one playoff win against Pittsburgh in overtime. While they might think it's his incomparable divine talent, I'm sure home field advantage and the fact that the Steelers were missing half their starters due to injuries had lots to do with it.

The Jacksonville Jags might as well sign him. If you're going to suck you might as well do it in a stadium that isn't half empty.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    WTCG.

You are correct.

If Tebow started the 2012 season and flopped it is likely many of his supporters would blame others and not him. Some people just can not accept that the person who they look up to (Tebow, LeBron, Mark McGwire, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, MJ, Jim Brown, Mickey Mantel, Ted Williams, famous actors, Presidents and other politicians, business leaders, etc.) have flaws and failings just like everyone else. If he did play 2012 as a starter and fail, at least his supporters would be deprived of the excuse "he never had the chance".

However, the same thing would likely apply to a lot of his detractors. If he had played 2012 as a starter and played great, many of his detractors would have given the credit to someone else and not to him.

Guess that is just the way it is when someone is a polarizing figure.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    What's the downside for the Jags giving him a try? They sell a few tickets. If they lose they lose.
  • Options

<< <i>What's the downside for the Jags giving him a try? They sell a few tickets. If they lose they lose. >>

The downside? Tebow's already proven he's not an NFL level QB. He's had shots with multiple teams, but when you get released/traded 3 times in 18 months, it's time to realize the dream is over.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Tim!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tebow is back!

Tebow signs with Philly

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tebow is back!

Tebow signs with Philly >>

4th-string QB! I think that means he holds the pen cap for the guy that holds the pen for the guy that holds the clipboard.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I wish him good luck with the Eagles!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I highly doubt he will make the final roster cuts after training camp, I do wish him well though.
  • Options

<< <i>I highly doubt he will make the final roster cuts after training camp, I do wish him well though. >>

+1

I do, too~whatever you think about him as a player, he's as decent a pro athlete as you will find.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in the queue, baby...
  • Options
    Somewhere, Vince Young just kicked a toddler.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I think the Eagles should hold onto the kid. He was a winner at Florida, and even though he didn't play very well for the Broncos, he was a winner there too. Perhaps he's a good luck charm. Perhaps his positive attitude can rub off on players over the course of a long season. He may just be worth keeping 3rd string for a million or
    two a year. Now that he's done some work with that football guru, perhaps his football playing skills have improved enough for him to be a worthwhile back up or special team player. >>

I agree. Would like to see him make the team and play well when he gets the chance. The only time I want to see him on the ground with grass in his face is when he plays THE GIANTS! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pmcollectourPeyton Manning is one or two hits away from retirement. Denver was in the Top 10 in the league last year in letting their QB get sacked. Let's see how Peyton endures all that punishment next year the way Tebow did this year. I say this deal bites Denver in the butt, and John Elway ends up paying for damaged goods. Elway doesn't have the OL to purchase a hurt QB. Not smart.

Bump!

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly I have always felt that were it not for the religion thing Tebow wouldn't get one tenth the ridicule if not outright hate he has gotten. I guess that must make me one of those supposed "cult followers" who think he really hasn't had a truly adequate test.

I hear the Browns are going to need a new second stringer soon... image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Originally posted by: telephoto1

Frankly I have always felt that were it not for the religion thing Tebow wouldn't get one tenth the ridicule if not outright hate he has gotten. I guess that must make me one of those supposed "cult followers" who think he really hasn't had a truly adequate test.

I hear the Browns are going to need a new second stringer soon... image

He wouldn't get one tenth of the media coverage, either, which has certainly benefitted him, too, to some extent, in parlaying that coverage into a TV studio gig.

• Options
    Just saying...all other things equal, if his name was, say, Abdullah Tebow Muhammed and he bowed to Mecca after a TD I'm thinking a) no one would have made a huge joke of it and b)he'd probably still have a playing gig somewhere, at least as a backup. jmho

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    I didn't think his LSB appearance was that good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: telephoto1

Just saying...all other things equal, if his name was, say, Abdullah Tebow Muhammed and he bowed to Mecca after a TD I'm thinking a) no one would have made a huge joke of it and b)he'd probably still have a playing gig somewhere, at least as a backup. jmho

I think you're way off base here. Tebow is not in the NFL because he simply isn't good enough and refuses to consider playing any position other than QB. It has absolutely nothing to do with religion or race. If anything, he stuck around as long as he did and got as many opportunities as he did, becuae of who he is.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tebow is not in the top 100 QB's on the planet. That is why is is not playing in the NFL. That and he's a distraction to boot.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    It's funny because Kurt Warner pretty much had the same christian shtick yet had some talent and stayed in the league no problem. Reggie White was doing his little prayer circle nonsense and off the field he was a minister yet he too had the talent to play and stayed on the field.

Yet somehow in a country completely dominated by christian extremists, a place where most politicians can't get elected unless they claim to be christian and a place where corporations hire executive positions based the good ole boy system that is dominated by christians we have Tim Tebow who is the one who is persecuted due to the fact he is not automatically given a multi million dollar job to at least back someone up regardless of his talent. The outrage! I swear these religious fanatics think he is the second coming of their mythical christ character.
  • Options
    FYI, I'm far from an extremist-if any thing I'm agnostic. Haven't been inside a church since I was a kid except for funerals and weddings. Warner didn't stop to kneel/pray after a TD. I won't respond to the rest of the claptrap spouted by the SF dude above. I'm just saying the religion thing wouldn't have been made into a huge joke had he been other than Christian-the PC police would have gone nuts and everyone knows it. And I'm not particularly a real Tebow fan but I do think he has talent enough to be second or third backup level-and absent the whole religion flap he might have gotten looked at differently by some teams. Disagree if you wish.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012