Home Sports Talk
Options

Tim Tebow

Comments

• Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else disappointed that the Steelers didn't try a 67yd FG to win the game with 3 seconds left? I am not a steelers fan, or a Tebow fan, or broncos fan either....I just wanted to see something historic. I think if the game was anywhere else, then the Steelers made the right call to send it into overtime....but, IN DENVER, regardless of how big of a leg my kicker has, I woulda give it a shot. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is anyone else disappointed that the Steelers didn't try a 67yd FG to win the game with 3 seconds left? I am not a steelers fan, or a Tebow fan, or broncos fan either....I just wanted to see something historic. I think if the game was anywhere else, then the Steelers made the right call to send it into overtime....but, IN DENVER, regardless of how big of a leg my kicker has, I woulda give it a shot. Just my opinion. >>

Not counting botched snaps, blocked kicks and blown fakes, field goal kicks can be returned and even in Denver there is a good chance a 67 yard attempt will land well short of the uprights. If the kick is returned there is the risk of giving up a score. If the kicker was Sebastian Janikowski or Denver's Prater then it would have been worth a try. Most other kickers, no.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I think I'd have given it a shot. Yes, it could have been returned, but I think those odds are really slim.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suisham's leg strength is below average. His career long is 52 yds, which some guys can exceed multiple times in a single game. No way he hits from 67, even in Denver.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The only part of my previous statement I will take back is the part about the Steelers being an elite team. After watching them get thrashed by the 49ers last month it was established that an elite team they are not.

If Denver gets by New England perhaps Baltimore down the road then I may change my mind but I am betting that won't happen.

Baltimore got thrashed by SD a couple weeks ago, so do you now say they aren't an elite team? And SD didn't even make the playoffs while SF is the #2 seed in the NFC. Nice attempt at backtracking, though..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Tebow rushed for 660 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Tebow started 11 games and won 7. Revelation 11:7 talks about the antichrist rising from the abyss (in this case, the abyss being the Bronco's depth chart, where Tebow was at the beginning of the season).

Hmmm....
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Hitler has a distaste for Tim Tebow

I lost it when I watched this video... especially seeing Hitler saying "poor Steven A. Smith"! LMAO!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Hitler has a distaste for Tim Tebow
    I lost it when I watched this video... especially seeing Hitler saying "poor Steven A. Smith"! LMAO! >>

Jeff ... that was a fun watch. I've seen people use that film scene for other parodies but this one was better than most! Thanks for sharing.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great video!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Hitler has a distaste for Tim Tebow

I lost it when I watched this video... especially seeing Hitler saying "poor Steven A. Smith"! LMAO! >>

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hilarious use of that videoimage

Come to think of it, maybe Skip Bayless does have a man crush on Tebowimage
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    "that" video floats around with different subtitles. there's one for the OSU Stanford game as well.

to add...if Ben wasn't hurt things may have been different, in SF and at Denver (may-have-been being the operative)
  • Options
    No way a 8-8 team deserves the right to a home playoff game over a 12-4 team. I dont care if denver won their division. Better teams should be rewarded in the playoffs. Lucky for denver pittsburgh was banged up.
  • Options
    I'll take 'Sorry Excuses' for $1000, Alex. image
  • Options
    Soundgard.

Apparently the NFL [through the rules it has adopted for the league] disagree with you.

The league has assigned teams to 4 divisions within each of the two conferences. The regular season is played to determine which teams will win the eight division titles. Each division winner qualifies for the playoffs and 4 wildcard teams are chosen. For whatever reasons the four divisions winners are seeded #1 through #4 in the playoffs and the two wild card teams in each conference are seeded #5 and #6 regardless of their regular season record. The higher seeded teams that do not get a week one bye [seeds #3 and #4] play the wildcard teams and are rewarded with a home playoff game for winning their division.

You state that an 8-8 team should not play at home against a 12-4 team. Taking this theme further you could also say that throughout the playoffs the teams with the better records should play at home. If you follow your theme, then you render the regular season and the division titles less important.

In fact, you could take it to the extreme and state that the league should simply ignore the 8 divisions and 2 conferences that comprise the NFL and simply state that the 12 teams (regardless of division and conference affiliation) that have the best regular season records will qualify for the playoffs.

The current rules that govern the playoffs make the regular season and the division titles have meaning and importance. The current rules have generated an exciting product that makes bundles of cash for the players and owners. Leave it as is IMO.
  • Options

<< <i>Soundgard.

Apparently the NFL [through the rules it has adopted for the league] disagree with you.

The league has assigned teams to 4 divisions within each of the two conferences. The regular season is played to determine which teams will win the eight division titles. Each division winner qualifies for the playoffs and 4 wildcard teams are chosen. For whatever reasons the four divisions winners are seeded #1 through #4 in the playoffs and the two wild card teams in each conference are seeded #5 and #6 regardless of their regular season record. The higher seeded teams that do not get a week one bye [seeds #3 and #4] play the wildcard teams and are rewarded with a home playoff game for winning their division.

You state that an 8-8 team should not play at home against a 12-4 team. Taking this theme further you could also say that throughout the playoffs the teams with the better records should play at home. If you follow your theme, then you render the regular season and the division titles less important.

In fact, you could take it to the extreme and state that the league should simply ignore the 8 divisions and 2 conferences that comprise the NFL and simply state that the 12 teams (regardless of division and conference affiliation) that have the best regular season records will qualify for the playoffs.

The current rules that govern the playoffs make the regular season and the division titles have meaning and importance. The current rules have generated an exciting product that makes bundles of cash for the players and owners. Leave it as is IMO. >>

The broncos reward for winning their division is a playoff birth. Thats really all they deserved. The steelers didnt win theirs because they have Baltimore to deal with every year. They play in a tougher division where 3 teams had winning records and made the playoffs. I just think its nuts to reward an 8-8 team the home game over a 12-4 team. And a 12-4 team who is the defending afc champion. The steelers clearly earned the home game. Not denver. Thats like giving a 6-6 college team a shot at the national championship.
  • Options

<< <i>Thats like giving a 6-6 college team a shot at the national championship. >>

Well if the BCS decides to go with a playoff system, that may just happen! But that's another thread I suppose. image

All in favor for the NFL changing the playoff rules to compensate for Baltimore being a better team then Pittsburgh? Anyone? Anyone? I didn't think so.

Oh well... I guess we're lucky that Steelers fans have a yellow rag to wipe their tears with.
  • Options
    Soundgard.

Notwithstanding your personal opinion that the Broncos reward for winning their division is a playoff berth, the current RULES of the NFL also reward division winners with playoff seedings of #1 through #4; opening week byes for seeds #1 and #2; and opening week home playoff games for seeds #3 and #4 against the two non division winner wildcard teams.

If you do not like the rules as they exist, you can contact the NFL and try to get the league to change the rules to reflect your personal opinion.

I am biased in favor of Denver since I am a Bronco fan, but if the Pittsburg won its division and Denver was a wildcard team, I would have no problem with Denver playing the opening weekend playoff game in Pittsburg even if Denver finished the regular season 12-4 and Pittsburg finished 8-8.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    In fact, you could take it to the extreme and state that the league should simply ignore the 8 divisions and 2 conferences that comprise the NFL and simply state that the 12 teams (regardless of division and conference affiliation) that have the best regular season records will qualify for the playoffs. >>

now you come up with the tie breakers!image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>now you come up with the tie breakers!image >>

Simple ... GMs each get a pistol .... take 10 paces ... turn around and shoot. If you are dead your team is out.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thats like giving a 6-6 college team a shot at the national championship. >>

Well if the BCS decides to go with a playoff system, that may just happen! But that's another thread I suppose. image

All in favor for the NFL changing the playoff rules to compensate for Baltimore being a better team then Pittsburgh? Anyone? Anyone? I didn't think so.

Oh well... I guess we're lucky that Steelers fans have a yellow rag to wipe their tears with. >>

No, actually this has been a problem with many fans for quite sometime. Like last year when a team with a losing record, was rewarded the home playoff game against the defending super bowl champions. The playoff format needs some changes. Better teams should be rewarded in the playoffs. Not the other way around.

A 6-6 team will never qualify for a playoff spot in college football. If a playoff happens, it will probably be 4 teams that qualify.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rules are in place when the season begins. A 12-4 team is rewarded by only having to play a 6-6 team. Should be a piece of cake. The 12-4 team needs to step up and win the game. They didn't. I haven't noticed the Steelers crying about it after the fact. Actually the only person I hear crying is Joe Flacco.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>Rules are in place when the season begins. A 12-4 team is rewarded by only having to play a 6-6 team. Should be a piece of cake. The 12-4 team needs to step up and win the game. They didn't. I haven't noticed the Steelers crying about it after the fact. Actually the only person I hear crying is Joe Flacco. >>

I think they did step up. They forced the game into overtime. There's no question home field is a huge advantage. All 4 home teams won last week.
  • Options
    If you want to go by record alone, then why even have divisions?
  • Options

<< <i>If you want to go by record alone, then why even have divisions? >>

How about lets look at it like this. Do you honestly believe Pittsburgh shouldve been a lower seed than Denver?
  • Options

<< <i>

How about lets look at it like this. Do you honestly believe Pittsburgh shouldve been a lower seed than Denver? >>

Yes. Get over it. The division rivalries are a major part of the excitement of the NFL. That's why division teams play each other twice each season. If Pittsburgh wanted a higher seeding, then they should have tried harder to win their division. That's what creates incentive and excitement.

Otherwise, the whole thing degenerates into a 32 team pool, where we pick the 12 best teams for the playoffs. No division rivalry. No conference rivalry. Why not just give up and have a tourney playoff system with all 32 teams. image

Division seeding is a cornerstone of the NFL playoff system. Git rid of it and the whole thing comes crashing down.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

How about lets look at it like this. Do you honestly believe Pittsburgh shouldve been a lower seed than Denver? >>

Yes. Get over it. The division rivalries are a major part of the excitement of the NFL. That's why division teams play each other twice each season. If Pittsburgh wanted a higher seeding, then they should have tried harder to win their division. That's what creates incentive and excitement.

Otherwise, the whole thing degenerates into a 32 team pool, where we pick the 12 best teams for the playoffs. No division rivalry. No conference rivalry. Why not just give up and have a tourney playoff system with all 32 teams. image

Division seeding is a cornerstone of the NFL playoff system. Git rid of it and the whole thing comes crashing down. >>

I have no problem with divisions. Its the seeding. There is no way denver deserved a higher seeding than pittsburgh. A denver team who lost their last 3 games and squeaked in because of a weak division. Heck, many fans argue that teams without winning records has no business being in the playoffs.
  • Options

<< <i>

I have no problem with divisions. Its the seeding. There is no way denver deserved a higher seeding than pittsburgh. Heck, many fans argue that an 8-8 squad has no business being in the playoffs. >>

You can't have meaningful divisions without higher seeding than wildcards. I'd argue that we should do away with wildcards altogether. Pittsburgh shouldn't have even made the playoffs. They couldn't even win their division.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have no problem with divisions. Its the seeding. There is no way denver deserved a higher seeding than pittsburgh. Heck, many fans argue that an 8-8 squad has no business being in the playoffs. >>

You can't have meaningful divisions without higher seeding than wildcards. I'd argue that we should do away with wildcards altogether. Pittsburgh shouldn't have even made the playoffs. They couldn't even win their division. >>

So, you think Alabama shouldnt be the national champion? Because they didnt win their division.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

You can't have meaningful divisions without higher seeding than wildcards. I'd argue that we should do away with wildcards altogether. Pittsburgh shouldn't have even made the playoffs. They couldn't even win their division. >>

So, you think Alabama shouldnt be the national champion? Because they didnt win their division. >>

I think comparing the college playoff system to the NFL playoff system is a red herring since they have absolutely nothing in common.
  • Options
    Sad to say but Denver will be embarassed by NE. Brady will make a statement. Only hope for Denver is for one reason or another they have to move the game to Denver.

Ralph

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Being a Pats fan, I would be very disappointed (and pissed) if they blow this game to Denver. That said, if the Pats had to lose to someone, losing to Tebow would probably affect me the least. I honestly like the guy. Normally, I root against the team that gets passed the Pats in the playoffs, but if Denver does win, I will be rooting for Tebow and his horses.
  • Options
    Under the current rules denver is entitled to a higher seed than pittsburg and cincinnati. If you follow the rules denver deserves a higher seed than the wildcard teams. Simple as that.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Under the current rules denver is entitled to a higher seed than pittsburg and cincinnati. If you follow the rules denver deserves a higher seed than the wildcard teams. Simple as that. >>

Exactly. I hear this complaint a lot from my friends who root for certain AL East teams. With an unbalanced schedule, it just isn't feasible or fair to discount winning your division when seeding, because you can't really compare records of teams that play markedly different schedules. Personalyl, I don't consider it fair that SF gets a home field game by thrashing the weak sisters in the NFC West, while an NFC East team has to slug it out down to the last weekend.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Under the current rules denver is entitled to a higher seed than pittsburg and cincinnati. If you follow the rules denver deserves a higher seed than the wildcard teams. Simple as that. >>

Exactly. I hear this complaint a lot from my friends who root for certain AL East teams. With an unbalanced schedule, it just isn't feasible or fair to discount winning your division when seeding, because you can't really compare records of teams that play markedly different schedules. Personalyl, I don't consider it fair that SF gets a home field game by thrashing the weak sisters in the NFC West, while an NFC East team has to slug it out down to the last weekend. >>

I would say SF earned their high seeding. They beat 4 playoff teams including the giants.
  • Options

I know what the rules are. As we've witnessed with denver and seattle the last two years, the rules are quite flawed.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Exactly. I hear this complaint a lot from my friends who root for certain AL East teams. With an unbalanced schedule, it just isn't feasible or fair to discount winning your division when seeding, because you can't really compare records of teams that play markedly different schedules. Personalyl, I don't consider it fair that SF gets a home field game by thrashing the weak sisters in the NFC West, while an NFC East team has to slug it out down to the last weekend. >>

I would say SF earned their high seeding. They beat 4 playoff teams including the giants. >>

True, but I was specifically talking about division records. They went 5-1 against there division mates, while the Giants had to slug it out with better competition and finished 3-3. That's 6 games for each team, over 1/3 of their schedule, that doesn't allow for a fair head-to-head comparison when seeding IMO.

NOTE: I'm not complaining or whining here, just pointing out that the unbalanced schedule already makes seeding comparisons "unfair". So, it isn't "strictly" possible to draw a direct comparison between the records for a division winner and a wild card and claim it's any more unfair than the whole process already is.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>

I know what the rules are. As we've witnessed with denver and seattle the last two years, the rules are quite flawed. >>

LOL. Maybe you can get the NFL to call you each year and provide the seeding for them.

Any objective system will appear to be flawed to some extent because of the unpredictable nature of sports, but it will always beat a subjective system like letting you decide.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would say SF earned their high seeding. They beat 4 playoff teams including the giants. >>

NOTE: I'm not complaining or whining here, just pointing out that the unbalanced schedule already makes seeding comparisons "unfair". So, it isn't "strictly" possible to draw a direct comparison between the records for a division winner and a wild card and claim it's any more unfair than the whole process already is. >>

One rule i would change is, playoff teams without winning records will not be hosting playoff games.
  • Options
    Can't wait for the game...my money is on Tebow, just like always. Over the next 48 hours, there's going to be A TON of stories about him, but this article might be the best portrait of who he really is, and should clear things up for those who still don't quite "get it". Enjoy.
  • Options

<< <i>Can't wait for the game...my money is on Tebow, just like always. Over the next 48 hours, there's going to be A TON of stories about him, but this article might be the best portrait of who he really is, and should clear things up for those who still don't quite "get it". Enjoy. >>

Thanks for that link. I hope more people get it. Win or lose, Tebow is an inspiration to many people.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Can't wait for the game...my money is on Tebow, just like always. Over the next 48 hours, there's going to be A TON of stories about him, but this article might be the best portrait of who he really is, and should clear things up for those who still don't quite "getdo it". Enjoy. >>

Why do Tebow supporters think others just don't "get it"? What is there to get? He's one of the least efficient starting QB's the league has ever seen, but some can't stop talking about him for some reason or another. Okay, he's been fortunate to have a D support him in some horrible performances. When they struggle, he seems to be made a fool. He seems like a nice guy, but keep the preaching to the pulpit. I have no issues with the guy. It's the media that's making me nauseous. He may improve in time, but his lackluster play doesn't warrant all of the attention the media wants to give him IMO.
  • Options
    HIs lacklusterness got them to the playoffs and to beat the defending AFC champions.........
  • Options
    Tebow is refreshing. Reminds me of Charlie Brown...finally got a date with the red haired girl...actually kicked the ball before Lucy pulls it away...finally wins a baseball game.

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Can't wait for the game...my money is on Tebow, just like always. Over the next 48 hours, there's going to be A TON of stories about him, but this article might be the best portrait of who he really is, and should clear things up for those who still don't quite "getdo it". Enjoy. >>

Why do Tebow supporters think others just don't "get it"? What is there to get? He's one of the least efficient starting QB's the league has ever seen, but some can't stop talking about him for some reason or another. Okay, he's been fortunate to have a D support him in some horrible performances. When they struggle, he seems to be made a fool. He seems like a nice guy, but keep the preaching to the pulpit. I have no issues with the guy. It's the media that's making me nauseous. He may improve in time, but his lackluster play doesn't warrant all of the attention the media wants to give him IMO. >>

Your statement is an example of not getting it. It's not about football.
  • Options
    The Tebow critics keep complaining about all the media coverage he gets yet they can't stop talking about him either.

One thing to keep in mind about his completion percentage: most QBs have high completion percentages because they dump the ball off and attempt very short, low risk passes. Many of Tebow's attempts are downfield passes which are much less likely to be completed in the first place. His running ability is also a huge asset that the vast majority of QBs don't even possess.

• Options

<< <i>The Tebow critics keep complaining about all the media coverage he gets yet they can't stop talking about him either.

One thing to keep in mind about his completion percentage: most QBs have high completion percentages because they dump the ball off and attempt very short, low risk passes. Many of Tebow's attempts are downfield passes which are much less likely to be completed in the first place. His running ability is also a huge asset that the vast majority of QBs don't even possess. >>

Good points. And he's very young. Time will tell just how good he can be.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One thing to keep in mind about his completion percentage: most QBs have high completion percentages because they dump the ball off and attempt very short, low risk passes. Many of Tebow's attempts are downfield passes which are much less likely to be completed in the first place. >>

Tebow was 4th in the NFL in yards per completion (13.7 yards), however, the other 4 guys in the top 5 had completion percentages of 61%, 60.7%, 61%, and 68.3%. Tebow's was 46.5%.

In yard per pass attempt, Tebow was 27th.