Home Sports Talk
Options

Tim Tebow

Comments

• Options
    And the storybook season comes to a close. Tim Tebow and The Denver Broncos have a lot to be proud of...and a lot to build on.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Denver got thumped into the offseason, and they got thumped so hard you can see the folks all over the country falling off the bandwagon. Next season will be a pivotal one for Tebow. Next season if he shows pronounced improvement especially in his passing game then it could point to future potential. If he shows signs of regression, inconsistency or stagnation then his days as a starting quarterback are numbered. Time will ultimately tell.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great season all around. No one would have dreamed they'd get this far after a 1-4 start, and Tebow did a tremendous job. A great story for the NFL.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    he is not a good qb, you cannot run an offense like Denver has, no successful team runs it. He will be exhausted and injured if he has to play like this for more than a couple of seasons; can he be taught to be a real passer?
  • Options
    Like the passer in the 4th quarter against the Bears, or the passer against the Steelers in the playoffs.

I think he can be taught. He's just a rookie. Steve Young and Aaron Rogers had four or five years learning from Brett Favre and
    Joe Montana before they broke into the league. Tebow was thrown to the wolves as a rookie on a 1-4 team. He led
    them to a first round win in the playoffs.

What more do people really want. Good job Tim.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Like the passer in the 4th quarter against the Bears, or the passer against the Steelers in the playoffs.

I think he can be taught. He's just a rookie. Steve Young and Aaron Rogers had four or five years learning from Brett Favre and
    Joe Montana before they broke into the league. Tebow was thrown to the wolves as a rookie on a 1-4 team. He led
    them to a first round win in the playoffs.

What more do people really want. Good job Tim. >>

He's not a rookie.
    You are right, he didn't exactly have Elway to learn from day to day.
    He did just fine this year.
    Personally I only think he will be average in time at the very best. Average in the NFL can get you a great career and perhaps a ring like Dilfer on the right team.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Can't wait for the game...my money is on Tebow, just like always. Over the next 48 hours, there's going to be A TON of stories about him, but this article might be the best portrait of who he really is, and should clear things up for those who still don't quite "getdo it". Enjoy. >>

Why do Tebow supporters think others just don't "get it"? What is there to get? He's one of the least efficient starting QB's the league has ever seen, but some can't stop talking about him for some reason or another. Okay, he's been fortunate to have a D support him in some horrible performances. When they struggle, he seems to be made a fool. He seems like a nice guy, but keep the preaching to the pulpit. I have no issues with the guy. It's the media that's making me nauseous. He may improve in time, but his lackluster play doesn't warrant all of the attention the media wants to give him IMO. >>

Your statement is an example of not getting it. It's not about football. >>

No, I get that the guy does some great things for people. Lots of other athletes do, too, although not always publicly. I think all athletes should do these kinds of things. Sadly, not all of them do. I get that people support him personally, and even that they hope for him to succeed professionally. But right now, he's not very good. Yesterday, again, he was less than vanilla. Their defense was terrible, so most will blame them, and rightfully so. Yet had they won 10-7, everybody who supports Tebow would have said Tebow was the reason, and not their D. In the end, sure, he's a good guy. I don't mind reading stories about him and his good deeds in Newsweek or Time. But when I watch ESPN, listen to sports radio, or read a sports talk forum, one would expect that we're going to hear of his accomplishments on the field, for the most part.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am absolutely pumped that there is now a good chance that the media will talk about a few other things than Tebow now, the guy is an inspiration but lets give it a rest please!
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Brady's punt spiraled better than Tebow's passes.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched almost all of the game yesterday. When the score was 21-7 late in the first half I held out some hope that Denver would find a way to come back and make a game of it. Then Denver had to punt again and NE quickly made it 28-7. Then Denver got the ball back and had to punt again with between 1 and 2 minutes to go. I had a bad feeling when Denver had to punt. Too much time left on the clock and NE getting the ball back in time to put up one more score. Sure enough another TD and the score is 35-7.

As Don Meridtih used to sing on MNF "Turn out the lights, the parrty is over".

At the start of the second half Denver received and could do nothing. NE gets the ball back and promptly scores TD #6 to squash any remote hope that Denver could compete in the second half.

Denver's attempts at running the ball during the game were completely ineffective. Denver had 14 (or maybe more) plays that resulted in negative yardage. Denver finally had some success in moving the ball late in the game with some nice passes. However, after a long pass to Thomas gave Denver a first and goal from the 3 yard line, it tried four times to score a touchdown. Videotape of Denver's four plays should be made a "must see" training film as an example of "futility".

Denver's defense was very good this year. It had absolutely no answer for the New England offense. How in the world can ANY NFL team defend against the NE tight ends?????? Especially when Brady was given unlimited time to throw by his offensive line.

Gronkowski is so big (6'7" and about 270 lbs?), fast, strong and athletic that when a pass is thrown his way the opposing linebackers and defensive backfields look like midgets against him. When he catches a pass he then runs past, through or over defenders to add yardage to the play and/or to score touchdowns. Same thing with the other tight end.

Further, New England's defense was not very good this year and Denver has a good running game. Hats off to New England's defense yesterday. It rose to the challenge and put a beat down on the Denver offense.

So to conclude my comments:

1. Hats off and grats to the Pats for a great performance yesterday;

2. Hats off and grats to Denver (and Tebow) for a very entertaining year that exceeded all expectations for the team at the beginning of the year; and

3. Hopefully Tebow will succeed in the next year or two in improving his passing abilities (if so, he has a good chance of being a very good QB with a long career).
  • Options

<< <i>So to conclude my comments:

1. Hats off and grats to the Pats for a great performance yesterday;

2. Hats off and grats to Denver (and Tebow) for a very entertaining year that exceeded all expectations for the team at the beginning of the year; and

3. Hopefully Tebow will succeed in the next year or two in improving his passing abilities (if so, he has a good chance of being a very good QB with a long career). >>

1. Thanks Sanction!

2. You guys have NOTHING to be ashamed of, Denver had a great year and without question did much better than most expected

3. If Tebow can learn the passing game better I too believe he could develop into a great QB, as it is he is a great leader.

• Options
    You are welcome perkdog.

Regarding yesterday's game, my biggest disappointment is not that Denver lost, but that the game was so one sided. A back and forth slugfest with both teams scoring in bunches would have been much more entertaining/exciting for everyone [except die hard Pats fans].

Good luck next week. If NE plays like it did yesterday I suspect that it will beat the Ravens or Texans and head to the Superbowl once again.

I am a longtime Denver fan, but have mellowed over the years. Prior to Denver winning its first and second Superbowls after the 1997 and 1998 seasons (has it been that long ago?????) I was much more emotionally invested in the success of failure of the team (the prior 4 super bowl losses in the 70's and 80's were very hard to cope with as a long time fan). After seeing Denver win the title once, then twice, everything fell into place [I guess the young kid in me needing to see his favorite team win the title was finally satisfied].

Every small and big success that Denver has had since its two titles is simply icing on the cake and something to really enjoy (this year was great). Further every failure and disappointment that Denver has had is not that big of a deal.

I would like to see Denver get a really good team together again behind another superstar quarterback (possibly Tebow if he improves as a passer) and make an extended run of qualifying for the playoffs and playing in additional Superbowls.

All of the above said has to be qualified though. I have mellowed, but not that much. Everytime Denver plays the Raiders, I get an emotional high when they win and get the blues when the lose. My hope is that in the next decade or so Denver wins enough games to pull even with the Raiders in the all time series wins and losses, though that may be asking for too much.
  • Options
    Another good arguement of why teams without winning records should not be hosting playoff games. The game was a joke. Pittsburgh wouldve gave them a better game.
  • Options

<< <i>Another good arguement of why teams without winning records should not be hosting playoff games. The game was a joke. Pittsburgh wouldve gave them a better game. >>

Why would you think that? They couldn't even beat Denver, a team without a winning record.
  • Options

<< <i>Another good arguement of why teams without winning records should not be hosting playoff games. The game was a joke. Pittsburgh wouldve gave them a better game. >>

Pittsburgh Defense is getting old and Big Ben was hurting but I would think they would have faired a bit better however Denver won and deserved a chance against the Pats.
  • Options

<< <i>

Why would you think that? They couldn't even beat Denver, a team without a winning record. >>

Pittsburgh beat the pats this year.

I doubt denver beats pittsburgh at heinz
  • Options

<< <i>

Pittsburgh Defense is getting old . >>

Old? lol

They were 3rd best in nfl in rushing ypg.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Old? lol

They were 3rd best in nfl in rushing ypg. >>

The Ugly truth is Pittsburgh lost image
  • Options
    Whatever though, what the hell do I know. Im 2-2 on my picks this weekend, I thought NE would win and GB, NO, and Baltimore. Against the spread I would be 0-4
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Old? lol

The Ugly truth is Pittsburgh lost image >>

Not vs new england image
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Ugly truth is Pittsburgh lost image >>

Not vs new england image >>

You're right... they lost to the team that lost to New England. image
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of having the rules in place at the start of the year why not wait until the season is over and decide who is best in each Conference. Sportswriters and other experts can vote on who these teams are. That way we will get a true champion. The best team will be acknowledged. Not some lucky bunch of stiffs who just lucked into home field advantage or some inferior team who just happened to win enough to get to the playoffs, then win playoff games, then win the Super Bowl.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>Instead of having the rules in place at the start of the year why not wait until the season is over and decide who is best in each Conference. Sportswriters and other experts can vote on who these teams are. That way we will get a true champion. The best team will be acknowledged. Not some lucky bunch of stiffs who just lucked into home field advantage or some inferior team who just happened to win enough to get to the playoffs, then win playoff games, then win the Super Bowl. >>

I agree completely. Let's simplify it though and just let soundgard tell us who the best team is.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In nómine Patris, et Fílii, et Spíritus Sancti. Amen.

Edited to use Latin instead of Italian.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Old? lol

The Ugly truth is Pittsburgh lost image >>

Not vs new england image >>

May the best team (Patriots) win it all in spite of all the crying.
  • Options

<< <i>Instead of having the rules in place at the start of the year why not wait until the season is over and decide who is best in each Conference. Sportswriters and other experts can vote on who these teams are. That way we will get a true champion. The best team will be acknowledged. Not some lucky bunch of stiffs who just lucked into home field advantage or some inferior team who just happened to win enough to get to the playoffs, then win playoff games, then win the Super Bowl. >>

The seeding format needs a serious change. The last two years prove it. College is seriously looking at changes because of the joke that happened this year. NFL can do the same as in looking to make it better.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are too many divisions in the NFL. There should only be 6. Someday there will be a 6-10 team that wins one of those 4 team divisions.
  • Options
    To determine a champion, if the idea is to chose a champion based upon the outcome of on the filed competition, then all sports leagues should determine how many teams they will allow into the playoffs after the regular season comes to a close. Once the # of playoff spots is determined, then take the teams that have the best regular season records to fill the spots.

For example, if in the NFL there are 12 playoff spots and the NFC has 11 of the 12 teams in the league with the best regular season records, then 11 NFC teams should make the playoffs and 1 AFC team.

In fact, under that scenario why even have two conferences and four divisions in each conference. Chuck them all and just have all teams play with the final regular season rankings going from 1st to 32nd in descending order. Teams #1 through #12 make the playoffs and the rest take an early vacation.

Take it even further and expand the playoffs so that all 32 teams get in after playing the regular season. It is only fair, isn't it? Let everyone into the playoffs [I recall that at one time Indiana high school basketball had (and maybe still has) a state tournament where every school in the state made the playoffs after the regular season].

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The seeding format needs a serious change. The last two years prove it. College is seriously looking at changes because of the joke that happened this year. NFL can do the same as in looking to make it better. >>

Last two years prove nothing, other than people will always complain about something. If they rearrange playoff seedings to satisfy your fauxrage, then it will radically change the NFL as we know it. Super conferences rather than divisions, a scheduling nightmare (could only play within each conference [16 teams, 16 games]), and it would end the possibility to see all teams visit your town every 6(?) years.

So rather than bishing and moaning how the current system stinks, come up with a viable alternative.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The seeding format needs a serious change. The last two years prove it. College is seriously looking at changes because of the joke that happened this year. NFL can do the same as in looking to make it better. >>

Last two years prove nothing, other than people will always complain about something. If they rearrange playoff seedings to satisfy your fauxrage, then it will radically change the NFL as we know it. Super conferences rather than divisions, a scheduling nightmare (could only play within each conference [16 teams, 16 games]), and it would end the possibility to see all teams visit your town every 6(?) years.

So rather than bishing and moaning how the current system stinks, come up with a viable alternative. >>

I already have. You didnt read my other posts.
  • Options
    I read your alternative. It's worse than the current system, which I don't regard as bad.
  • Options

<< <i>I read your alternative. It's worse than the current system, which I don't regard as bad. >>

I guess we will agree to disagree. The way the current system is, a 7-9 team can be seeded higher than a 14-2 team that is also the defending conference champion. That is dreadful.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    So since the Broncos beat the Steelers, does that mean the Steelers didn't deserve to be seeded higher in the first place?
  • Options
    So Denver lands Peyton Manning and consequently Tebow is the odd man out. What do you think happens to Tebow? Traded to another team, moves to a tailback position or gets released?
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>So Denver lands Peyton Manning and consequently Tebow is the odd man out. What do you think happens to Tebow? Traded to another team, moves to a tailback position or gets released? >>

Releasing Tebow would be stupid. He's not worthless, and could be traded for something of value.

Heck, a team that acquires Tim Tebow will probably make their financial investment back within a month due to a spike in merchandise sales.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So Denver lands Peyton Manning and consequently Tebow is the odd man out. What do you think happens to Tebow? Traded to another team, moves to a tailback position or gets released? >>

Releasing Tebow would be stupid. He's not worthless, and could be traded for something of value.

Heck, a team that acquires Tim Tebow will probably make their financial investment back within a month due to a spike in merchandise sales. >>

I agree with that. Any team that's desperate to generate a little revenue, fan attention and interest wouldn't mind giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick for him.
  • Options

<< <i>Exactly my thoughts. Any team that's desperate to generate a little revenue, fan attention and interest wouldn't mind giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. >>

He's a dynamic player. He'd probably be a deadly weapon if moved to a team's running game.

• Options
    I love that after all the hype and "Tebowing" the guy gets replaced image
  • Options

<< <i>I love that after all the hype and "Tebowing" the guy gets replaced >>

Dude's basically a rookie getting replaced by a shoe-in Hall of Famer. Nothing to be ashamed about there.

The guys to laugh at are the crazy fans who got Tebow/Bronco tattoos.

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Jacksonville is perfect. Lame quarterback. Weak fan support. Already a big Florida Gators area. Tebow would be welcomed "home".
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    As a big Tebow supporter, at first I was hoping Manning would pick somewhere else. But the more I thought about it, if the suits in Denver can't get behind a guy who took a 1-4 team and lead them into the playoffs, screw 'em! Not that I blame Denver for taking Manning...if he's 100% healthy & motivated, he could be a MAJOR difference maker in that divison. But I just have the feeling that even if Manning went somewhere else, Elway would still be looking to replace Tim. Consider this: everyone talks about how good Tebow's intangibiles are, his critics say he just needs more time to develop. Who better to learn from than Manning, who at best has 2-3 left. Why not keep Tebow & have him learn under Manning, and have the QB position taken care of for the next 12 years or so?

PS-Yeah, those guys with the Tebow/broncos tattoos gotta be hating life right now.
  • Options
    Manning's 36 years old, coming off of a season lost to a neck injury that's required multiple surgeries in the span of a year to fix. He needs to prove that he can take a hit, all over again.

Seems to me that keeping Tebow around would be a good idea.

• Options
    It will be interesting to see what happens in Denver with Tebow.

I think the guy is a proven winner of a football player. Whether or not he can develop his passing skills to become an "NFL caliber starting quarterback" (whatever that means) is unknown. I would not bet against him though. I think that if he wants to become such a quarterback in the NFL he will succeed in doing so.

It would be more surprising to me if he did not become such a quarterback than if he did.

So with my assumption that Tebow can and will become such a quarterback, I would prefer that he stay with Denver. To do so he would have to be willing to be Peyton Manning's understudy/backup. If Tebow would be willing to accept this role, it would allow him to:

1. develop his passing skills (with assistance from Manning and maybe even Elway) while not having the pressure of being the starting QB; and

2. be in a position to take over the reins of the team at a moment's notice (for example if Manning takes a hit that ends his career via further damage to his neck).

Who knows if Tebow would be willing to accept the above. If he does, that would be something that most other guys in his current position would probably say no to.

Then again, even if Tebow would be willing to accept the above, maybe Denver will decide that it wants no part of Tebow under any circumstances.

If Tebow does leave Denver (by his own choice, or by the decision of the team), whichever NFL team he ends up with will likely be very happy with the acquisition.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I love that after all the hype and "Tebowing" the guy gets replaced >>

Dude's basically a rookie getting replaced by a shoe-in Hall of Famer. Nothing to be ashamed about there.

The guys to laugh at are the crazy fans who got Tebow/Bronco tattoos. >>

Absolutely no disrespect to Tebow, my humor in it all is towards all the Tebow Fanatics in Denver that thought he was the second coming of Christ.
  • Options

<< <i>The guys to laugh at are the crazy fans who got Tebow/Bronco tattoos. >>

That cheese grater in the kitchen or that power sander might come in handy. I saw those stories on the news about those Tebow tattoos and honestly it was something I wouldn't have believed until I saw it. I went to Denver late last year and I saw more than one.

Jacksonville would be the ideal fit for him. That's Tebow's hometown team and they need help selling out seats. The problem now is the Jags are too busy trying to convince themselves that Blaine Gabbert is their quarterback of the future
  • Options
    Tebow would be very popular in Jacksonville.

The Jags definitely need something or someone that can put fans in the seats. Tebow would do that given his popularity in parts of Florida.
  • Options

<< <i>

my humor in it all is towards all the Tebow Fanatics in Denver that thought he was the second coming of Christ. >>

Taking a 1 WIN and 4 LOSS team to the playoffs was a small miracle indeed.

Peyton Manning is one or two hits away from retirement.

Denver was in the Top 10 in the league last year in letting their QB get sacked.

Let's see how Peyton endures all that punishment next year the way Tebow did this year.

I say this deal bites Denver in the butt, and John Elway ends up paying for damaged goods.
    Elway doesn't have the OL to purchase a hurt QB. Not smart.
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So what do you guys think?

image >>

I think that this guy wishes he didn't get this tattoo now...
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    200!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind him playing here in NY. I'm a Giants fan first, but also root for the Jets. The Jets could use him like they did Steve Smith ... in the Wildcat formation. He could also be a legitimate backup to Sanchez.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.