Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***Official 25th Anniversary ASE Set First Strike®/NFS® PCGS Population Reports....Updated Sunday 02

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    67s, 68s and 69s should be more valuable I think...there are a lot fewer of them! Most of the stuff is a 70 for the modern bullion. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have pictures of the different cert's PCGS is putting in these slabs? I've seen some with the signature, some with the ol' flag FS lable, some with the grades on the front of the slab, some with the grades on the back.. I think there might be enough variants of the labels to actually start a new registry set.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sucks to be the guy who just paid over 3 grand for a 70 set on eBay.
  • Options
    Got to give the mint credit for some awesome quality..or were you guys hoping for junk and a few (yours?) MS/PR70's ?
  • Options
    I told you all the 70s would be at least 50%. For whatever reason, the ratio of 70s went up starting in 2010.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    There's no "as of" date. Could be 11/14, maybe 11/15, 16, 17, 18, 19, or 20th.

No way to gauge what is going on here. Daily, real-time pop updates are in order.
  • Options

<< <i>There's no "as of" date. Could be 11/14, maybe 11/15, 16, 17, 18, 19, or 20th.

No way to gauge what is going on here. Daily, real-time pop updates are in order. >>

Daily would be nice, but the Pops are done weekly....As I recall, they are updated Sunday AM.
    Methinks you are asking a bit too much!
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the orders could have been with a minimum grade of 69 specified. If it's lower than 69 it doesn't get graded or slabbed.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There's no "as of" date. Could be 11/14, maybe 11/15, 16, 17, 18, 19, or 20th.

No way to gauge what is going on here. Daily, real-time pop updates are in order. >>

Daily would be nice, but the Pops are done weekly....As I recall, they are updated Sunday AM.
    Methinks you are asking a bit too much! >>

Its simple, take some of those employees off the "devoted to packaging & shipping returns of the OGP material," and put them to work on the pop report. After all, the members pay for a premium service.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a lot of 70s...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Consequently either 70 sets overpriced OR sealed sets underpriced. seems to be a good arbitrage opportunity for someoneimageimageimage
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking I may want to keep my 4 unopened sets just that (for a while)...
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obvious which ones freed themselves from the capsules during shipment.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Take a minute and think about this..........so many sent in submissions hoping to capture that extra $$$............once those sets are sold they probably will not be resold.........(well except for those that flip)......but if 1/2 end up in collector hands then they are put away for a long time............IMO you are putting the patient away before his last breath..........Just watch!!
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Take a minute and think about this..........so many sent in submissions hoping to capture that extra $$$............once those sets are sold they probably will not be resold.........(well except for those that flip)......but if 1/2 end up in collector hands then they are put away for a long time............IMO you are putting the patient away before his last breath..........Just watch!! >>

no one is saying a 70 set isn't worth the premium, but how much?

• Options
    Once the initial offerings are bought then the price will rise............Yes I too am amazed at the number of 70's considering the mint quality from years past........But again!.......I go to the collector base of these coins........simply will not have enough supply to meet demand.................
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this Goldbully image.
  • Options

<< <i>Once the initial offerings are bought then the price will rise............Yes I too am amazed at the number of 70's considering the mint quality from years past........But again!.......I go to the collector base of these coins........simply will not have enough supply to meet demand................. >>

I think you got this pegged. Whether people will follow it is something human nature seems to defy.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ............IMO you are putting the patient away before his last breath..........Just watch!!

Once the initial offerings are bought then the price will rise............Yes I too am amazed at the number of 70's considering the mint quality from years past........But again!.......I go to the collector base of these coins........simply will not have enough supply to meet demand.................

Dice21, I agree with you on both points.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TTT
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    With a mintage of 1/3 and this POP report in contrast makes one wonder if the 95-W will have some upward pressure going forward.

70's sure seem to be common. What's the lowball set going to be?

LOL a 68 and 69's?

The 95-W currently is:
    63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70
    Pop/PCGS 2 13 31 57 169 504 1,476 5
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK...the next question...has anybody seen enough 70's to know if they are really 70's or if they just relaxed the grading standards?
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sucks to be the guy who just paid over 3 grand for a 70 set on eBay. >>

Especially after the coins start growing milk spots down the road.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can look at it this way there is only 298- 70 set for now and how many collectors in the Eagle program and alot of opened box's that will not get the 25th Ann complet set. When you see a deal grab it.But that is just me Type2. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>............IMO you are putting the patient away before his last breath..........Just watch!!

Dice21, I agree with you on both points. >>

I agree too!!
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well in the other threads it has been reported out of 50 coins only 11 were 70's. Those pop results you were showing had to be from dealers submitting 100's of these with a minimum of 69 and thats why they have way more 70's. After seeing the results from 2 on this board I really think getting a whole set of 70's out of a box of five is not going to be that easy, and I only submitted a box of three which means 3 70's if I am lucky. Good luck to everyone image I am not saying that the pops are wrong, I am saying that most of those numbers were submitted by dealers, lets say a dealer sends in 10 boxes to my 1 collectors/dealers the odds of them getting more 70's is greater than the collector. I guess time will tell when others start reporting but 11 out of 50 is not looking good.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Those pop results you were showing had to be from dealers submitting 100's of these with a minimum of 69 and thats why they have way more 70's.
    I'm not following your logic here.
    The pops are the pops.
    These 'dealers' submitted sealed boxes just like everyone.
    I doubt that PCGS would want to treat them as a bulk submission and throw out anything under 70.
    Where am I wrong?
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldbully: I can tell you that in my opinion that pops are skewed in overstating the S mint and Rev proof coins grade through rates. Some % of these coins are being screened before being submitted to PCGS for FS. A collector doing it for example has already shared some of his results with me and half or less of the gross # of coins are actually even being submitted for a shot 70 on those particular 2 pieces. The other 50% are simply being sold as "opened sets".

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Well in the other threads it has been reported out of 50 coins only 11 were 70's. Those pop results you were showing had to be from dealers submitting 100's of these with a minimum of 69 and thats why they have way more 70's. After seeing the results from 2 on this board I really think getting a whole set of 70's out of a box of five is not going to be that easy, and I only submitted a box of three which means 3 70's if I am lucky. Good luck to everyone image >>

I don't see how the "specifying a minimum of 69" argument could cause the results to skew. Regardless of whether some of the dealers specified a minimum of 69 or not, the ratio of 70s to 69s would still be the same. The results in the report show that to be 2:1 in favor of 70s. It just means fewer 68s and below would be counted. But that has no bearing on the 70s to 69s ratio.

I understand the results from the two forum members here is alarming, and I don't know why they are so different from what we're seeing in the reports.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>Goldbully: I can tell you that in my opinion that pops are skewed in overstating the S mint and Rev proof coins grade through rates. Some % of these coins are being screened before being submitted to PCGS for FS. A collector doing it for example has already shared some of his results with me and half or less of the gross # of coins are actually even being submitted for a shot 70 on those particular 2 pieces. The other 50% are simply being sold as "opened sets".

Wondercoin >>

I can see the S and RP being skewed since they can be cherry-picked while retaining the "set" designation. But the common ones that are getting the "set" designation cannot be screened. Also, we're not seeing a huge disparity in the number of each coin submitted, so I would think the large majority of the coins are being submitted as sets, not as cherry-picked individual coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Those pop results you were showing had to be from dealers submitting 100's of these with a minimum of 69 and thats why they have way more 70's.
    I'm not following your logic here.
    The pops are the pops.
    These 'dealers' submitted sealed boxes just like everyone.
    I doubt that PCGS would want to treat them as a bulk submission and throw out anything under 70.
    Where am I wrong? >>

Pcgs has no say they offered the bulk submission for dealers and that only grading 69 and above has been going on for awhile. That way they can repackage the 68 and lower and sell in ogh. And like my edit says when a dealer is submitting 10 sets to our 1 there chances are better to get more 70's. This next couple weeks will tell when the collectors coins come back. 11 out of 50 to me is not close to 50 percent like the pops are showing. Has nothing to do with the boxes being sealed more to do with the amount they submitted compared to us. Enjoyimage

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanations guys.....much appreciated.
    Now, if I check the totals of each coin in the pop report.....455/440/457/475/478.
    Those numbers sure reflect 5 coin sets as they are so close to each other.
    Thoughts?
  • Options
    All i know is this same thing happen and was caught by those of us that played the atb game, certain AP's kept the best sets and sold the rest to collectors, than all of a sudden up popped the 69 and 70 sets. After tracking the numbers on the coins I was able to figure out some of them had sent there whole batch in under this program. I always thought this was unfair as they have access to hundreds of sets take the best out and sell the rest to others that didn't have a clue. I also wonder if a collector could have sent these in using the same method and I think I already know the answer. As far as the numbers they may have submitted 1000 of those to get the 400 all the 68 and lower will not show up. I know a few here remember jack hunt and another ap who did really well doing this. Bummer image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options

Still loads of 70's!!!!! Is that Opa's 66?? image

• Options
    Non First Strike..........

• Options
    So the odds of getting a full 70's set out of a sealed box of 5 still looks good!!...............1 in 5 I would take those odds......why would anyone NOT get first strike??........costs??
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GB

Yup, I'm still #1 with that ms66. I'm also tied with a PRDCAM - 67. image

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I am the only one with a reverse proof in 67, first strike that is.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like I am the only one with a reverse proof in 67. >>

Welcome to the 67 & below club....maybe we can get a low ball set goingimage
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like I am the only one with a reverse proof in 67, first strike that is. >>

Recheck - I'm the only one with a S mint mark on 67, but It's not in the pop report. The coins haven't shopped yet,
    So maybe they're not being counted.
  • Options

<< <i>Still loads of 70's!!!!! Is that Opa's 66?? image

image >>

The previous ratio of 70's to 69's was nearly 2:1 - not anymore. If you left the 2 keys out of the equation, I did well with the number of 70's I got. But not one 70 in the reverse proof or S.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... looks like only a couple of us didn't spend all of that extra money for the First Strike labels...

• Options

<< <i>Wow... looks like only a couple of us didn't spend all of that extra money for the First Strike labels... >>

Good news for those that did, will be easy to start doing some trading to get the sets complete, I already started a listing on the bst for trades and think others who are missing one or two of the keys will do the same. It should be much easier to do the trades instead of listing, selling and than buying what your missing. And since most of us did pay the extra should be easy to match up some nice sets. I have decided to keep (when I can put together) the 70 set. Than will start trading the 69's to get complete sets of those. Than sell off the rest. Hopefully this next week will see alot more grades coming out in the those holders Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options

<< <i>Wow... looks like only a couple of us didn't spend all of that extra money for the First Strike labels... >>

I'm amazed at the huge number of First Strikes® compared to non FS.
    When you consider that the label is $4.00 more than the grading price and 25 x $18 = $450.00....
    That's a lot of $$$$$$.

I really look forward to the Pops by year's end!
  • Options
    I have two boxes of 5 to send in to have graded. Would it be better to send them in separate boxes with separate submission forms or is it cheaper to send both boxes together in one main shipping box. I am worried about the coins getting damaged if sent together considering the weight? The way it looks if I wait any longer the graded sets will be worth less than the ungraded ones? Is there a better percentage of getting MSPR70 coins back when there is more coins in a submission? Dumb question but I had to ask. image
  • Options
    You will save on Postage and return shipping & handling fees. The rest of your question is strictly speculation. You need to ask yourself....;"Do you feel lucky?"
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have two boxes of 5 to send in to have graded. Would it be better to send them in separate boxes with separate submission forms or is it cheaper to send both boxes together in one main shipping box. I am worried about the coins getting damaged if sent together considering the weight? The way it looks if I wait any longer the graded sets will be worth less than the ungraded ones? Is there a better percentage of getting MSPR70 coins back when there is more coins in a submission? Dumb question but I had to ask. image >>

USPS sells a 17x17x16 "redipost" box for about $6 that will hold two mint shipping boxes nicely with a little extra space for foam peanuts. Cheapest way to ship is registered priority insured. I sent two of these with two boxes of 5 each for about $60 per shipment. Cheaper fees and shipping if you send together with one submission form.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Will the charge for returning the Mint packaging be the same though? $30 for every 5 sets? So it would be $30 on each form and $60 on one form. Where does a person put that return shipping charge on the form?
  • Options

<< <i>Will the charge for returning the Mint packaging be the same though? $30 for every 5 sets? So it would be $30 on each form and $60 on one form. Where does a person put that return shipping charge on the form? >>

I just crossed out one of the unrelated costs & wrote: return shipping charge for OGP

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file