Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Carnation Major League Wrestling Set....Ric Flair Fresh Scans Added

Comments

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

<< <i>muhaha. >>

almost forgot about this sub as it was sent in on 7/13. been sending in tons of small subs for the hof rc set and pushed it to page 2.

actually a few other decent hits on this sub as well...

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1980 Star Wars Opc Empire Strikes Back 9 Yoda (tech his "rookie" card per smr mag a few months back, opc version and pop 1, 0 higher)

MINT 9 1980 Star Wars Empire Strikes Back 11 Boba Fett

MINT 9 1979 TCMA Odgen A's 9 Rickey Henderson

GEM MINT 10 1988 Houston Show 7 Rod Carew (this set is rare. cool, low budge cards given away at a show)

MINT 9 1988 Houston Show 11 Yogi Berra

NEAR MINT 7 1979 Quelcom, S.A. Ases Mundiales Del Deporte 13 Ballesteros (rare, pop 1, 0 higher)

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1989 WWF Super Stars of Wrestling-Series 2 1 Hulk Hogan

NEAR MINT 7 1989 WWF Super Stars of Wrestling-Series 2 Directory Card

GEM MINT 10 1988 WWF Superstars Playing Cards Randy "Macho Man" Savage King of Diamonds

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NEAR MINT 7 1979 Quelcom, S.A. Ases Mundiales Del Deporte 13 Ballesteros (rare, pop 1, 0 higher) >>

• Options
    thank you sir, i knew you'd be excited as me!

edit: but I have the large right? don't think they notated...
  • Options

<< <i>thank you sir, i knew you'd be excited as me!

edit: but I have the large right? don't think they notated... >>

I have the only PSA graded Large. Non-notated are the small.
  • Options
    and the large are the extremely rare ones?
  • Options

<< <i>and the large are the extremely rare ones? >>

142 total smalls graded vs. 71 total large. Both are pretty darn tough sets.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koloffs PSA 9

What an absolutely beautiful card. Finding cards like this to add to your collection is what makes collecting so much fun. My top copy was a PSA 7 and that is a tough grade for this card with only two graded higher.

I took one glance and hit the BIN. I honestly wondered if a PSA 9 was possible on this card. It certainly is.

• Options
    Sweet pick up. While I don't collect wrestling cards I remenber watching it as a kid and seeing all the cool stuff you guys dig up is awesome.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet pick up. While I don't collect wrestling cards I remenber watching it as a kid and seeing all the cool stuff you guys dig up is awesome. >>

I naturally realize most will never collect the cards but I appreciate the positive comments.

There are some great wrestling collectibles and many are very tough to track down. This set has proven to be quite the challenge in higher grades. This addition will take my set to a GPA of 8.71 and include all cards in a grade of PSA 8 or higher.

Wrestling cards will never match the values of traditional sports trading cards but you would have to go up the price scale dramatically to match the rarity in many cases. The Ric Flair from this set only has five PSA 8's, four PSA 9's and no 10's. I would think a Flair PSA 9 could fetch $500 or so but as I said if this was a person of similar historic significance to their profession it would be deep in the thousands.

• Options
    Flair pack

Someone snatched this up moments after it was listed. Nice score.
  • Options
    This is such a bummer. I just got the PSA 9 in the mail. It has a crease in it about a half inch running up from the bottom.

• Options
    I returned the Kollofs and the seller did send it back to PSA for review and it appears they honored the buy back program as it is no longer in the population report.

There was no damage to the case so either it was missed by the grader or damaged during sealing. The top grade is back to a PSA 8.

• Options
    very cool!
  • Options
    I knew you would be happy. Not thinking anything like this could ever happen I sold my PSA 7 before the PSA 9 came in the mail.

You will be back on top tomorrow.

• Options
    nah, wasn't talking about that. it was simply the right thing to do....
  • Options
    Gotcha.

I am waiting to here back from him on how it played out. I was so excited to get the card and then when I opened it I couldn't believe it.

The card had tremendous centering and no wrinkle on the back which is obviously extremely tough to find for that card.

• Options
    where was the flaw?
  • Options
    I took the pics with my phone at the time to show the seller. I just text them to you.

• Options
    i went ahead and retired my set, so you'll remain at number 1.

again, it's a wrestling set and should reside w/ you.

if ya need a koloffs 6 for a temporary plug, lemme know.
  • Options
    You don't need to do that.

I still have a few 6's and 5's so my set is complete.

I have enjoyed the friendly competition! image

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    i dont collect but def enjoy your updates and just viewing....maybe it will get me to start but I'm sure has gotten others to start collecting wrestling..thanks
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Dpeck100
    It has been a really slow year for me on the buying side but always nice to pick up a Flair.

This is a nice copy with strong centering but obviously has that little print dot in the upper blue area.

Either way I will take it for $100.

Scored a 9 on this. Very pleased about that.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    It's been a while since i read this thread. Can't believe the prices some of these raw cards were getting three to four years ago. I thought I posted my one and only card from this set but obviously didn't on this thread. I picked this up raw about six months ago or so for $80. Saw it pop up as a buy it now on ebay late one night pacific time and while I didn't know a lot about it I figured if I didn't pull the trigger someone else would snag it before the next morning.

It took two attempts to get it graded.

• Options
    Great pick up for $80! It is a good thing you saw it before I did because I will buy them all day in nice condition for that price. This set remains elusive in high grade that is for sure.

• Options
    Martel, Flair and Backlund Interview

This is pretty cool. It comes from Pro Wresting USA the promotion that I believe the Carnation cards were created around.

• Options
    When I checked the pop report for the set this morning I got excited as a PSA 9 The Koloffs recently hit. My excitement didn't last long as it is already in Bob's set so it won't be coming to EBAY.

• Options
    jtala18jtala18 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    I bet that is a sweet card...is bob willing to part with a lower grade Koloffs card for a lowly novice Carnation collector like myself? Either way, nice score...keep finding the nice copies of this set!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jtala18
    I bet that is a sweet card...is bob willing to part with a lower grade Koloffs card for a lowly novice Carnation collector like myself? Either way, nice score...keep finding the nice copies of this set!!!

Bob saw your post and said he will get you one out for free. A nice gesture. PM your info.

• Options

Nice to see some PSA graded Carnation material hit EBAY.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Carnation-Major-League-Wrestling-Ric-Flair-PSA-6-EXMT-PWCC/401223681928?_trksid=p2060778.c100277.m3477&amp;_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150520070957&meid=78ae494659f441ec995cd6eb60c6c1ce&pid=100277&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=401223681805

This Flair is doing well so far. I have to think a PSA 9 would bring a strong price. If a 10 ever hit I could see it easily going for over a grand.

• Options

The graded pack that was auctioned off with the Flair on top yielded this PSA 9.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Carnation-Major-League-Wrestling-Ric-Flair-PSA-9-MINT-PWCC/352282711070?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&amp;_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

Very little good material has been making its way to EBAY so this will be a fun auction to follow. The first time a PSA 9 has been offered on the open market.

I put in a bid of $300 not expecting to win and I am already out bid by two collectors. Hoping the price is strong for obvious reasons.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahh. PWCC, the sky is the limit...

• Options

https://www.psacard.com/pop/boxing-wrestling-cards-mma/1986/carnation-major-league-wrestling/34560

There was a PSA 9 that hit last week that appears to have bumped and now there is a Pop 1 Ric Flair PSA 10. I will be on the lookout for that one!

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's crazy. Good luck!

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

@wrestlingcardking said:
    Wow, that's crazy. Good luck!

I have found it. Just need to try and work the deal.

• Options

Funds sent.

Very excited to add this to my collection.

Definitely going to find a few things to list to lesson the blow! LOL

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    Funds sent.

Very excited to add this to my collection.

Definitely going to find a few things to list to lesson the blow! LOL

Congrats and can't wait to see it!

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your upgrades to this set. It is so tough to find those in high grades but you have done it.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

It is a cool looking set.

There is so much that is unknown about it. I have never seen a package that they were distributed in and the poster offer on the back has never surfaced.

It is very odd.

I have opened a few packs that had dust from some type of cocoa mix on them so it does seem very likely they came in packages of it but no images exist of the boxes or advertisements.

My belief is the set was for the short lived Pro Wrestling USA promotion so maybe it was a limited test issue that ended quickly.

Time will tell.

• Options
    edited November 26, 2018 4:58PM

Just got this in the mail today. Looks great!

So many people think the registry is all about points. I want the nicest cards that I can get and you can clearly see the PSA 9 is a better card.

• Options

Someone hit some nice grades yesterday. Three fresh PSA 9's hit this morning.

Flair, Kamala, and Slaughter.

It was nice having the Slaughter as a Pop 1 for so long but now a Pop 2.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Whether you like it ... or don’t like it ... learn to love it .... cuz the ric flair carnation card is the best card going today ... it costs as much as these alligator shoes ... I’ve spent more money on spilled liquor than all the Kamala cards combined ... woooo

Love Dpecks collection and the Nature Boy

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    Whether you like it ... or don’t like it ... learn to love it .... cuz the ric flair carnation card is the best card going today ... it costs as much as these alligator shoes ... I’ve spent more money on spilled liquor than all the Kamala cards combined ... woooo

Love Dpecks collection and the Nature Boy

Thanks for the comment.

Watching old Nature Boy promos never gets old!

• Options
    edited June 13, 2020 8:25AM

I just busted out the pack I recently won in the PWCC auction and ripped it. To this day I have still opened every pack or set I have purchased. My initial concern was the top back on the RW and I left this sealed for a few days. I kept examining it and then compared it to a Kamala this morning with the wrinkle and felt confident it was okay to give it a shot. You can barely see the issue and it doesn't go through the card. I am going to check my graded copies now and compare. This card is either a 5 or a 10.

I didn't even realize there was a Road Warriors example out there with this centering. The card generally has too much top border to grade mint.

On a side not I am still not sure when these were made with my thesis being they were made around the Pro Wrestling USA promotion that went defunct later in 85. I looked up both of their careers and Martel lost the title on December 29th of 1985. Interesting info.

• Options

Here are some 5’s and 6’s I cracked out and got signed with the fresh card at the bottom.

• Options

This was a lot of fun. On Tuesday night I was walking my dog Grace Kelly and talking with our neighbor Linda who has her boyfriend the little poodle Captain and said I need to focus on this EBAY auction it is coming down to the wire. She thought it was fun and so I explained to her the pitfalls of the auction and that the Road Warriors card would probably have a wrinkle in it but you don't know until you open and how condition sensitive these cards are. I proceeded to win the auction for the pack of 1986 Carnation Major League Wrestling cards and she was intrigued when I explained how technical the card grading was and that pack fresh cards might still not deliver.

Today my wife and I got some take out sushi from one of our favorite Japanese restaurants and killed it. I said lets go for a walk and I started chatting with my neighbor Stephanie as she walked her dog and sure enough Linda and Captain were walking by and they came up and joined us. Linda and I were chatting and she asked if I had gotten the cards yet and I said you know they might be in the mailbox. I said let me check and they were. Shipped in a plain white envelope but thankfully an attempt and helping the cards travel safe was made. I opened the envelope and the pack looked fine and so I cut it open and pulled out the cards and put them in card savers and then flipped over the Road Warriors card and said see this is what most look like with this paper wrinkle. She was surprised it hurt the grade so much. I said OMG check out this Rick Martel. I have one of the two PSA 9's and this is Mint. The centering is a fraction off side to side but this is a stunning card and honestly I think has a very serious shot at a 10.

I am always hunting.

• Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Awesome! Love your posts Dpeck100. I just picked up the 86 Carnation Road Warriors PSA 8 off eBay... and the 85 Wrestling All Stars Road Warriors Rookie Card SGC 84 (NM 7) as well. The Road Warriors and Robby Piper Rookies are what got me into WWF cards last year... now I cant stop. Sucks that I am buying during a 'sellers market' though.

• Options

@Crashingwaves said:
    Awesome! Love your posts Dpeck100. I just picked up the 86 Carnation Road Warriors PSA 8 off eBay... and the 85 Wrestling All Stars Road Warriors Rookie Card SGC 84 (NM 7) as well. The Road Warriors and Robby Piper Rookies are what got me into WWF cards last year... now I cant stop. Sucks that I am buying during a 'sellers market' though.

Great pick up with the Road Warriors card!

So far none higher and one of the best looking cards ever made. I absolutely love the shot of them. You did just fine price wise. I saw what you paid through watchcount.

Good luck with your collection!

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

Every time I see anything about these awesome cards it burns my a$$. I sent in a minty Koloff's to PSA about 3-4 years ago and came back with a smashed corner in a PSA 7 holder :(