Options

1986 Carnation Major League Wrestling Set....Ric Flair Fresh Scans Added

Comments

• Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Damn those sell good
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A PSA 10 Kamala hit the pop report this morning. If that hits EBAY that will be an interesting card to watch for sure.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh My! Will you be going for that one if it reaches ebay?
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A PSA 10 Kamala hit the pop report this morning. If that hits EBAY that will be an interesting card to watch for sure. >>

This should be interesting.
  • Options
    NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    First 10 graded !!! Lots Kamala fans. Could go for big bucks.
    Surprised Monty gum has so many tens graded from 1986.
  • Options
    The Monty cards were graded a long time ago and I don't think PSA realized they came with a perforation.

I owned a PSA 10 Bruiser Brody and sold it and I will just say they don't come out of the packs the way that card was.
  • Options
    Carnation Road Warriors

This card looked like it has been run over and still sold for $35.

It will be very interesting to see what one of these brings if it is nice and listed right.

• Options
    The Carnation Road Warriors from above came back a PSA 8. I was thrilled and I think it may not have been a true wrinkle. I did send in the Koloffs with the same submission and it had a much worse wrinkle and it came back a PSA 5.

There is some stiff competition from another collector for this set and so this recent purchase was a registry fueled buy price. It was more then perhaps I wanted to pay but I could tell from the scans that the cards were very nice. I am pleased with it as these are incredibly clean cards. The color just jumps off the card and the backs are not faded at all.

The Sergeant Slaughter has razor sharp corners and unfortunately has a print dot right to the left of his hat. I am not sure if the scan does the corners justice as they are razor sharp. I already have a PSA 9 of this from the raw cards that were purchased earlier in the thread and I am hoping for a PSA 8 on this example. I recently parted ways with my PSA 6 so this would be a nice replacement.

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/SlaughterCarnation2_zps3a64f08b.jpg.html]image[/URL]

The Koloffs card is super sharp too and the corners are just blazing. The centering is off from left to right but could be strong enough for a NM-MT grade. It has the slightest wrinkle on the top like many and is very faint so I have my fingers crossed it will grade high. At this time the highest graded example is a PSA 6 and I own it. There have only been 40 cards from this set graded and I can't stress enough just how hard these are to find. The recent higher prices will help drive some into the market but because of the scarcity they just are not surfacing in mass.

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/KolofffsCarnation1_zps0f851d83.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/KoloffsCarnation2_zpsa82b4e4d.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Good luck on improving your registry for this set. I really like this set as the photos of the wrestlers are nice and distinct and the lack of action in the cards is very appealing to me. It will be interesting to see if a nice Koloffs appears in the near future. This is definitely a condition sensitive set and seems to be quite popular on ebay now.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I just got a package in the mail with this card and a few others I will post and I about had a heart attack when I opened the package. I saw this front and thought it could be the one. The back prevents it from being Mint or higher but the front is the best I have ever seen. Such a nice card.

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/FlairCarnationFront_zpsb218fd1a.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/RicFlairCarnationBack_zpsa2d949ef.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    What are the two bottom cards? Austin & Jack? I think I've seen them before.
  • Options
    Yes they are the Steve Austin and Cactus Jack 1992 WCW Magazine Cards. Both of their rookie cards.

• Options
    Very cool. Thanks for the info! I was looking at wrestlingtradingcards.com and didn't see them listed in 1992, but 1993 although it looks like they were printed in 1992 and released in January 1993. It doesn't look like PSA has a set registered yet either.
  • Options
    Yes the trademark is 1992 but they came out in a 1993 magazine.

I have a feeling PSA will label them 1992.

Either way I think they are very cool.
  • Options
    One of my three Austins are at PSA now.........
  • Options
    King any predictions on what you think it will grade?

• Options
    What reference does PSA use to grade wrestling cards? The Wrestling Card Price Guide? WrestlingTradingCards.com? This forum? Or a combination of all?
  • Options
    With a card with perforated edges I would rather not predict but it is one of my nicer ones out of the six that I have had......I have seen very few other outside the ones I have...maybe two others in the last 6 months......
  • Options
    I completely understand.

Hopefully your example does well.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards. I need to add that Austin someday. Its pretty new to me. I've only known about for a few months. I think the king brought it to our attention in another thread.

Dpeck, this one looks pretty sharp for a HC. Never know how it will grade but it looks good to me
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What reference does PSA use to grade wrestling cards? The Wrestling Card Price Guide? WrestlingTradingCards.com? This forum? Or a combination of all? >>

I have found that a lot of the times you just need to reference a credible website that they could go to to verify information you give them. They won't accept information on forums.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Yes King started snatching them all up. I have been looking for months and finally got one.

The seller had a set listed and a Ric Flair Carnation and Kamala and by the time I saw it the Flair was already gone. I snagged both the Kamala and the WCW set and emailed him to see if he had any other Carnation's. He said he had another Ric Flair and I said I would pay the $60 he listed the other one for and he said fine and I asked him to send me a money request via PayPal. I sent the $60 and thought it might still be too good to be true. Around 5 PM yesterday the packaged arrived.

One of my better buys on EBAY in a while.

• Options
    The Austin does look good with the perforated edges, just be sure that the sides and bottom have the natural perforations while the top should be hand cut. I am amazed how tough these are to find. I'm a believer in this card due to rarity and condition sensitivity.
  • Options
    Checklist

I have given some thought to the fact that there are wrestlers featured from both the AWA and NWA in this set and I have come the conclusion that this set must have been released during the Pro Wrestling USA joint venture. The copyright on the back is from 1985. Rick Martel is featured as the AWA champion and he lost the title on Dec 29, 1985 and left for the WWF.

Pro Wrestling USA

1985 Pro Wrestling USA programs
  • Options
    The line down the front of the Steve Austin is a distraction but is not a surface issue. The surface is flat and not rigid. I am not sure how much if any that will hurt the grade.

I have a large submission I am sending in soon and we will see how they turn out.

• Options
    I have many of my better cards in the 36 card display cases on the wall and for whatever reason did not scan in the Ric Flair and The Road Warriors Carnation cards before putting them in the case and hanging it back on the wall.

It is a pain to get the case it is in down so I have managed to convince myself each time to do it another day. I finally decided enough was enough and got it down and scanned in the cards to upload to my set.

Carnation Wrestling PSA Registry Set

Here are the scans I just made.

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/RoadWarriorsCarnation_zpsb37c511a.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/RicFlairCarnationPSA82_zps80017ba1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/FlairCarnationPSA8_zpsdc235e2f.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/FlairsignedPSACarnation_zps956524d1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/RicFlairsignedraw_zpsc637d151.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    I like that blue ink auto of Ric Flair, very nice. woooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    PSA 8 Ric Flair

I saw this one hit the pop report and have been checking daily to see if it would hit EBAY. It must have hit this morning and already sold.

• Options
    I have added a few new Carnation cards to my collection.

It is very rare that a Rick Martel comes up for sale. I will be sending this one in.

This Kamala is obviously off centered but still a cool card.

• Options
    That Martel looks sharp!
  • Options
    Carnation Road Warriors

This will be a fun auction to watch. As I have said these cards in general are really hard to find and the Road Warriors hardly ever come for sale. I have easily 15,000 wrestling cards and only have one of these.

Clearly wrestling cards will never be as valuable as baseball and the other major sports but if this card came from one of them it would be in the thousands in strong condition.

There are four PSA 8's and I own one and another collector owns three and there are none higher. If a high grade example surfaced and hit the market it would do quite well for sure. My PSA 8 is one of my favorite cards in my entire collection.

• Options
    It's too bad the picture is poor. I guess it doesn't matter with a card this rare.
  • Options
    The card is in terrible condition with rounded corners and creases and is still at $52 with over 5 days to go.

There was one raw card that surfaced a few weeks ago after a very long time with no examples surfacing but the buyer knew it was being listed and bought it a few minutes after it hit EBAY for a great price of $100. He has the most Carnation cards of anyone unless someone is sitting on a large stash of raw cards and is keeping quite about it.

The point of my last post was that if wrestling cards had a bigger collector base that a card that can sell for this price or higher in such poor condition would command a very steep price in nice condition.

There are not very many cards from the modern era that sell for this price raw in such poor condition.

I really wish I had been able to find more but have only owned two and traded the PSA 6 I had to help get back the first PSA 8 Ric Flair that I sold several years ago. It worked out okay with the last PSA 8 selling for $499.

• Options
    I see your point now that I looked at the photo a lot closer.
  • Options
    The Road warriors beater finished at $132.50 which is a very strong price for such a poor condition card.

Higher prices bring out supply and a much nicer version is on EBAY now. This example has the more severe wrinkle on the back and will most likely grade a 5 at most but it presents well. The reason I say more severe is the very faint wrinkles that do not raise the surface appear to be able to achieve a NM-MT grade. If you run your finger over it and can feel it PSA will downgrade it for sure. I have a few cards that are easily mint but have a wrinkle and reside in a much lower grade slab.

Here is the auction.

Road Warriors

• Options
    It is eye opening for sure to see a raw card from the 1980s to be near $250 with obvious flaws...great auction for the seller but these cards clearly bring high prices now.....
  • Options
    Just a little over 5 hours to go.

Current bid is $312.

It ends close to 2 am so I will be anxious to see what the final price was in the morning.

• Options
    $275

Wow these cards are getting major action.

• Options
    Yeah they are. A lot of coming out of the woodwork.
  • Options
    EBAY sales

Eight listings if you include the recent one I posted.

I wouldn't classify this as coming out of the woodwork.

This move higher is fascinating to watch. I bought my first example of Koloffs card for less then $10.

• Options
    Strong prices for sure, do you know who picked up the Road Warriors card for $100 a little while back?
  • Options
    Yes it was Begsu. He snagged it like two minutes after it hit EBAY.

• Options
    Kamala $250

The strong prices keep pulling out a few loose cards. This one lasted less then 24 hours on EBAY.

• Options
    very strong prices for raw cards.....
  • Options
    Any idea on production run for these?
  • Options
    No clue.

• Options
    I sold my Flair with a BO in less than 24 hours..... these are definitely hot in any form............
  • Options
    I just got this promo photo of The Road Warriors today in the mail. A very cool piece. This photo shows some wear but I would bet a more mint copy of these 1980's promo photos could draw some serious interest.

These guys were just awesome!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

100!

(Ha, my first one)

Carry on...