Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1986 Carnation Major League Wrestling Set....Ric Flair Fresh Scans Added

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Road Warriors

I felt confident it would take $500+ to win this card. Time will tell where this one finishes.

Even though I only have one example of this card I think it is awesome to see such a truly deserving card get it's due.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    These cards are officially insane......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Final price for the Road Warriors card was $562.

What a spectacular price for a raw card from the 1980s..... truly amazing.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    I went back and looked at the original Carnation thread I started in 2011.

In the past two and a half years the cards have risen over 1000%. Pretty amazing.
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    That is amazing! A testament to all the work and positive publicity you've brought to this genre.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive prices! Great call on these dpeck!
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    I search EBAY every day for Carnation listings and came across this one last Saturday. The seller was using other people's scans and described the cards as mint. I quickly realized they were obviously not the cards he was selling and emailed him to see if he had any scans of the actual cards.

He quickly posted a photo to the listing of the cards in the display case that he had them in. I took a glance and sent him an email indicating if he wanted quick cash I would buy them for $800 and pay right away.

He lowered the buy it now price and I snagged them and paid. I took a leap of faith on these and got them this morning from my postman Mike.

They are indeed very nice. I will post some scans tonight to the thread and plan to send them off to PSA very soon with a number of other cards.

Carnation Set
    What do you think they will grade?
    I like a gambling man! I hope they come back with some good grades.
    PSA recently re weighted the set in the registry and the weightings are as follows.

1-Sgt Slaughter 2-The Koloffs, Kamala, Rick Martel 4-Ric Flair and 5-The Road Warriors.

This change took a tie and moved me into second place. Hopefully I can get an upgrade from some of the cards I have to send in.

Currently the highest graded Koloffs is a PSA 6. I think this example has a chance to come in higher then that.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

This is a great example of The Road Warriors card and I am very pleased to add this to my collection.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

This is a very clean Rick Martel. It is obviously off centered but a nice looking card.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

It was a bummer to find out that this card only got a 1 weighting. I have a PSA 9 in my set.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

I have always thought this was a cool looking card. I love the commentary on the backs of these. One of Kamala's hobbies is eating live chickens. image

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

One of the things I like so much about this card is he has the NWA strap in his hands. A great shot of the Nature Boy.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

• KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards. Good luck.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

Wow! Congrats!
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    Why the re-weighting?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards

<< <i>Why the re-weighting? >>

The collector who is now on top asked for it. I got an email from someone asking me what was up and I went and looked and saw the changes.

In the wrestling card market some of the sets are equal weighted and others are not. All three of the Wrestling All Stars are equal weighted. The WWF OPC Series II I collect has major weighting differences. Some of the Hogan action shots have a weight of ten compared to some of the base cards I collect with a weight of one. I have no plans to complete that set so it is really not a big deal to me.

I liked having my set rated number one but in reality I would rank his set better then mine because he has the Flair PSA 9 which is a monster card.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    It was more of one person re-weighting a set ... I like more of a PSA weighting it or a consensus of collectors building the set having the opportunity to re-weight a set. Obviously this happens across the board not just here
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
    I already posted a scan of this but wanted to add it to the thread on Carnation cards.

A few minutes ago I got done with my daily pop report checks and I see a Carnation Road Warriors in an 8 hit bringing the total to 5. It will be interesting to see if that hits EBAY soon and if so the result.

When I spoke to customer service yesterday he said two of my orders are five or six business days away and I have some strong Carnation cards in that sub that I am so hoping do well.

Ric Flair and Kamala sealed pack

This is the first time I have ever seen one of these offered by themselves on EBAY. I added it to my watch list in the morning and it got scopped up at the Buy It Now price.

$780 for two cards from the 1980s is very strong UNGRADED!!!!!!!!!!!

• I wonder if it still being sealed pack adds a lot of value to it. Can't be many of those still around. Would PSA grade it still sealed and give it a pack grade and slab in Wax pack case.

Anyone know it packs were random or were same cards always combined.

<< <i>I wonder if it still being sealed pack adds a lot of value to it. Can't be many of those still around. Would PSA grade it still sealed and give it a pack grade and slab in Wax pack case.

Anyone know it packs were random or were same cards always combined. >>

Carnation with Pack

PSA will indeed grade them and slab them.

At this point every pack I have seen has the same two cards. Rick Martel/The Road Warriors, Sergeant Slaughter/The Koloff's, Ric Flair/Kamala.

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if it still being sealed pack adds a lot of value to it. Can't be many of those still around. Would PSA grade it still sealed and give it a pack grade and slab in Wax pack case.

Anyone know it packs were random or were same cards always combined. >>

Carnation with Pack

PSA will indeed grade them and slab them.

At this point every pack I have seen has the same two cards. Rick Martel/The Road Warriors, Sergeant Slaughter/The Koloff's, Ric Flair/Kamala. >>

A complete set in slabs and then the three packs in slabs would be an awesome set and a tough one to replicate for being such a small set.
    I got my grades back yesterday on one of my orders that contained the Carnation cards I submitted.

There were a few errors with my order that are being worked out so I will post the full list once they are corrected.

The Carnation cards I sent in did pretty well and I was able to advance my set. Both of the Rick Martel's got 8's so that improved it and the Koloff's got a 7 and at this time is the highest graded.

At first glance I thought I had moved back into first place after the re weighting but it turns out the top set doesn't have its best Rick Martel added to it so once that is moved I will still be a little short.

My set has 129 points and begsu1013 has 130.

• Incredible cards.
  • you should see my collection !!!! Talk about ...

no I don't have those great cards .. just jealous hahah

awesome cards man !
    I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
    I decided to call PSA and speak to the registry department and see how set weightings are changed. It turns out that it is based on selling prices and if sufficient data is presented they will make changes.

The Sergeant Slaughter card was weighted a 1 and the lowest in the set and the selling prices clearly reflect it shouldn't have that low of weighting relative to all of the other cards in the set. Over the weekend I sent off an email with the completed listings from EBAY. I got a response yesterday that they agreed it should have a weighting inline with the other commons from the set. If you can call them that.

Anyway at the moment it has moved my upgraded set back into first place.

I will add the scans to my set once I get the cards back from PSA. They should be shipped out tomorrow.

Here is the updated registry list.

Carnation Major League Wrestling

• << <i>My set has 129 points and begsu1013 has 130. >>

begsu1013 was the guy that purchased the 1966 Sporting News Nolan Ryan PSA 9 paper cutout for $1,170.00

<< <i>

<< <i>My set has 129 points and begsu1013 has 130. >>

begsu1013 was the guy that purchased the 1966 Sporting News Nolan Ryan PSA 9 paper cutout for $1,170.00 >>

Nolan Ryan Basic

Bob has quite a collection. The Carnation set is just a little side project.

• << <i>Nolan Ryan Basic

Bob has quite a collection. The Carnation set is just a little side project. >>

Strong Ryan Basic set. Interesting pictures.

This one is impressive - http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=139396

And this one is cool - http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=166584

<< <i>

<< <i>Nolan Ryan Basic

Bob has quite a collection. The Carnation set is just a little side project. >>

Strong Ryan Basic set. Interesting pictures.

This one is impressive - http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=139396

And this one is cool - http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=166584 >>

I definately got a laugh out of the pictures.

I can't compete on wallet with Bob so I have to be crafty with finding the cards from this set.

<< <i>I decided to call PSA and speak to the registry department and see how set weightings are changed. It turns out that it is based on selling prices and if sufficient data is presented they will make changes.

The Sergeant Slaughter card was weighted a 1 and the lowest in the set and the selling prices clearly reflect it shouldn't have that low of weighting relative to all of the other cards in the set. Over the weekend I sent off an email with the completed listings from EBAY. I got a response yesterday that they agreed it should have a weighting inline with the other commons from the set. If you can call them that.

Anyway at the moment it has moved my upgraded set back into first place.

I will add the scans to my set once I get the cards back from PSA. They should be shipped out tomorrow.

Here is the updated registry list.

Carnation Major League Wrestling >>

Bob didn't take to kindly to this.

New set

<< <i>

<< <i>I decided to call PSA and speak to the registry department and see how set weightings are changed. It turns out that it is based on selling prices and if sufficient data is presented they will make changes.

Bob didn't take to kindly to this.

New set >>

YIKES!!!
    I don't see any issues with it. The weighting needed to be updated and the cards fell where they did.

<< <i>I don't see any issues with it. The weighting needed to be updated and the cards fell where they did. >>

I don't either. I was really taken aback by it and the other things that were said because of it. You would have thought by his response I killed someone. There were two negative comments posted to my set but I deleted those.

He claims to have gotten an offer he couldn't refuse for the cards but who knows. The Sergeant Slaughter card on EBAY now would have put him back in first place once he won it.

Time will tell how this plays out.

I did sell my PSA 7 Rick Martel this morning for $300.
    That's sad to hear. It sounds like he is hating the player instead of the game. You stepped up and updated the stats for the set that were out-of-date.
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    just stumbled upon this thread and got a good lil chuckle. 1st off, thanks on the comments on some of my sets. really like the Kenny Powers set to whoever pointed that one out. as for the pics on my Nolan Ryan sets, those are from Halloween shows for widespread panic. here's a stream for anyone interested: http://www.panicstream.com/vault/widespread-panic-10312011-chicago-il/

as for the carnation snafu. please rest assure dpeck hardly told the entire story nor did he enlighten anyone to the fact that after he submitted his self admitted "last ditch" effort to grab the 1 spot, he sent a very immature email stating "I wonder how much it's gonna cost you to get the number 1 spot back" when the slaughter 8 was on the block. I didn't bid solely because of the way and manner dpeck conducted himself. while I would be the first to admit the good he has done for the wrestling card community, this was a complete shocker and absolute petty thing to send someone, especially after his last ditch effort once his last 2 subs didn't come back good enough. not only that, as noted earlier in this thread, he saw that my martel card was off set into my 2nd set as a buffer. he also didn't explain to the masses that about a year ago, when I took the 1 spot that he was contemplating selling them off to me, in which I replied, no I want you to keep them and that I love good healthy competition! he also accused me of calling in to have the original set weight altered which was a complete fabrication. I was delighted to hear earlier in this thread someone else claimed to be the one that called in, so obviously I didn't take too kindly to that accusation either, especially when that was his "reasoning" to call in himself to have it changed. so please, david if you are gonna post, please post the entire story. you and I both what exactly happened, how you did it and most importantly...how you conducted yourself throughout.

as dpeck stated, the carnation set was just a fun little side project for me. but when someone acts with the lack of couth that was displayed, I bailed. I for one, don't need psa's status of having to have the number 1 set. I have the martel 9 (rarest card of the set w/ only 9 cards ever graded), the flair 9 (probably the highest valued card of all the cards), 3 of the the road warriors 8s. all 3 packs in psa 8s and 41 total cards, so i'm good. I rest fine knowing that my set(s) and collection of carnations is better but more importantly, that I handled myself in a proper manner.

I wish you all the best and hope you find the cards you all are looking for!

take care, guys and happy collecting!!!

<< <i>just stumbled upon this thread and got a good lil chuckle. 1st off, thanks on the comments on some of my sets. really like the Kenny Powers set to whoever pointed that one out. as for the pics on my Nolan Ryan sets, those are from Halloween shows for widespread panic. here's a stream for anyone interested: http://www.panicstream.com/vault/widespread-panic-10312011-chicago-il/

as for the carnation snafu. please rest assure dpeck hardly told the entire story nor did he enlighten anyone to the fact that after he submitted his self admitted "last ditch" effort to grab the 1 spot, he sent a very immature email stating "I wonder how much it's gonna cost you to get the number 1 spot back" when the slaughter 8 was on the block. I didn't bid solely because of the way and manner dpeck conducted himself. while I would be the first to admit the good he has done for the wrestling card community, this was a complete shocker and absolute petty thing to send someone, especially after his last ditch effort once his last 2 subs didn't come back good enough. not only that, as noted earlier in this thread, he saw that my martel card was off set into my 2nd set as a buffer. he also didn't explain to the masses that about a year ago, when I took the 1 spot that he was contemplating selling them off to me, in which I replied, no I want you to keep them and that I love good healthy competition! he also accused me of calling in to have the original set weight altered which was a complete fabrication. I was delighted to hear earlier in this thread someone else claimed to be the one that called in, so obviously I didn't take too kindly to that accusation either, especially when that was his "reasoning" to call in himself to have it changed. so please, david if you are gonna post, please post the entire story. you and I both what exactly happened, how you did it and most importantly...how you conducted yourself throughout.

as dpeck stated, the carnation set was just a fun little side project for me. but when someone acts with the lack of couth that was displayed, I bailed. I for one, don't need psa's status of having to have the number 1 set. I have the martel 9 (rarest card of the set), the flair 9 (probably the highest valued card of all the cards) and a 2 or 3 of the the road warriors 8s. so i'm good. I rest fine knowing that my set is better and that I handled myself in a proper manner.

I wish you all the best and hope you find the cards you all are looking for!

take care, guys and happy collecting!!! >>

If sending you a text that says I wonder how much it is going to cost you to get the number 1 spot back in a joking manner is that rude, I guess I am just a rude guy.

Why you took that one text so personal is beyond me. To suggest you talked me out of selling my cards to you is clearly not what happened but that is certainly fine if you feel that is what occured.

If leaving very negative comments on someone's set is what you felt was necessary then I guess we just view the world differently. To take it a step further and name your retired set after me and my actions is even more childish.

No one took credit for the re weighting. You might want to re read the thread.

I enjoyed speaking with you and emailing and so on and was genuinely disappointed with how this situation turned out.

Best of luck in your endeavours.

best set name ever.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like someone is a sore loser
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    not at all. coulda easily bought the slaughter.
    I've had transactions with both guys here and it is disappointing to see how this has all turned out. This is all about the "weighting" of the set and how any adjustment can alter the top sets. There are only six cards to the set so it should be fairly simple. In some ways I would not care if the cards were all the same (1) but I suppose there are a few cards that stand out more so than the others...........

In all honesty, I would rank the Kamala, Rick Martel, Sgt,. Slaughter, and The Koloffs all the same as they are now.......(2). I see no reason for these to be ranked higher than another between the four even if I were to be given data from the pop report. Frankly, the supply is not so much that I think there is relevance to a tougher card of the four. Time will ultimately tell.

The other two cards are the Ric Flair (4) and the Road Warriors (5). Although the Ric Flair has some earlier issues and this is the best early card of the Road Warriors (over the handcut 1985 all stars) I could see these being ranked the same......most likely 4s if I were to be the judge and jury for the weighting of the set. I'm unsure of how this would change the weighting at all between the top two guys.

I have never found dpeck to be malicious at all so I was a bit surprised to see how this all went down, and I can understand the current rating to the set as being appropriate. I would not complain at all though if the Ric Flair card was adjusted to be the same value as the Road Warriors card.

well stated! and my issue wasn't about the weighting change, it was with how it was done, when it was done and the message "what do you think it's gonna cost you to get the number 1 spot back" that I received outta the blue.

and for the record, if the flair was weighted the same as the road warriors card it would put me back in first. and I certainly haven't and wont campaign for it to be as then I would feel like eagles comment of a "sore loser". maybe that's just me. I wouldn't like the feeling of campaigning for the number 1 spot.
    I got some interesting information today in regards to the set. An avid wrestling autograph collector got one signed this weekend by Ivan Koloff. He said he has never once seen the card. Very cool to know!

I definately would like to get a dual signed one of Ivan and Nakita Koloff which is this guys plan.

A friend of mine got his Kamala signed recently......I have seen a signed Martel as well. Not too many of these have been signed though.
    Ric Flair

I see this just ended on my watch list. $375 for the Flair.

The Kamala that was listed is no longer for sale either and I will post the price once it shows up in the completed listings.

• kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Amazing price. Ungraded too
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got some interesting information today in regards to the set. An avid wrestling autograph collector got one signed this weekend by Ivan Koloff. He said he has never once seen the card. Very cool to know!

I definately would like to get a dual signed one of Ivan and Nakita Koloff which is this guys plan. >>

I wish I had the Koloffs card when I saw them at an event back in November. It would be pretty sweet to have it signed by both.
    Slaughter $150

This card looks pretty strong.
    It looks like Bob never left the field after all. Some great cards in his set for sure.

Carnation with pack