Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Carnation Major League Wrestling Set....Ric Flair Fresh Scans Added

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    That is a great find. I am the wrong one to comment on how they are selling, so I will leave that to the other wrestling guys. But those cards have been extremely tough to find for almost 30 years, and believe it or not, some people have been looking for them that long...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Awesome! How much they set you back? >>

Thanks, I was quite pleased to find them. Believe it or not I didn't pay anything for them- I purchased a few other items and the guy offered to throw 'em in for me. I did not object image

After re-reading this entire thread I do have a few questions though:

1 - I understand the Martel & RW card came in the same pack. Then why is the RW card considered harder to find? Shouldn't the difficulty level of these two cards be equal?

2- Value. Is this set still blazing hot? I clicked around on ebay and can't make ends or tails of the pricing. >>

The Martel card actually has even fewer ever graded. There was a long stretch where none of these were really surfacing but a few have popped up over the past couple months. The Road Warriors cards didn't do very fell in the recent auction from PWCC. I was surprised.

The last Martel to sell went for $120 and only lasted on EBAY a day or so.

If these were free you hit a grand slam!

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

1 - I understand the Martel & RW card came in the same pack. Then why is the RW card considered harder to find? Shouldn't the difficulty level of these two cards be equal?. >>

Good question. Is the weighting based on original distribution or the difficulty of finding the card in high grades now?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

1 - I understand the Martel & RW card came in the same pack. Then why is the RW card considered harder to find? Shouldn't the difficulty level of these two cards be equal?. >>

Good question. Is the weighting based on original distribution or the difficulty of finding the card in high grades now? >>

Based on value.

• Options

<< <i>What do you think the cards will grade? >>

I think the Martel is a solid 8. It's got a minor indentation on the right edge near his hand, and you can't see it too well in the scan but the top left corner has the slightest touch. The RW card I'd guess to be a 6. Both top corners are touched, and it has the same indentation on the right edge that the Martel has. Pack must have gotten bumped. Great news is that the top crease that effects so many of these cards and has been written about in this thread isn't found on either of these cards.

Dpeck yeah I saw those PWCC prices, they definitely stick out like a sore thumb compared to all the other prices. Maybe some bidders shied away from that seller? Who knows?

Right now I have three options:

1- Do nothing, just hang on to the cards and enjoy them.
    2- Sell them. This is why I was curious about value. If I were to sell them I'd put the proceeds into my 50's & 60's Yankee collection.
    3- Build the set. This is honestly the way I'm leaning. I figure I got great head start with these two cards, so why not finish it? I'll be keeping an eye out for a nice Flair. I see some on the bay right now, but I'm going to keep hunting. I'm absolutely fascinated by the overall scarcity of this set.
  • Options
    Koloffs

This is a nice looking card in the scan.

I manual sniped and once again lost. It isn't about the timing of the bid but the amount you are willing to pay.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Strong raw card price from the 1980s......sorry to see you did not win.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Happy to add this to my collection

• Options
    Nice addition
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Flair pack

I was checking to see where the Carnation cards were at that are currently listed and saw this and snagged it. Hopefully they are nice.

There was a pack listed a few months ago that went super quick and you obviously don't see these very often.

• Options
    Are there any packs graded from this issue?
  • Options

<< <i>Are there any packs graded from this issue? >>

Yes
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    yes, here's the pack set. have 4 more packs at psa that are just awaiting loggage. another flair, 2 slaughters and 1 martel.

• Options
    Interesting they used different holders
  • Options
    for sure. original ones I sent in were holdered in the standard cello packs. sent in the flair about a year ago and came back in that holder. I thought it was more eye appealing as it shows the entire pack vs top/bottom being folded down. sent the original ones back in to be reholdered to match the flair one....and they came back in old but new "cello" holders. dios mio!

did get a credit voucher, but...
  • Options
    Those look super cool in either holder. Very nice.

• Options
    I got the pack in the mail today and cut it open. The cards are very nice. The colors are so vibrant and there were no wrinkles on the back.

• Options
    Those are sharp! Heading to PSA?
  • Options

<< <i>Those are sharp! Heading to PSA? >>

Definitely. The Flair has a touched lower corner unfortunately. Still a great card though.
  • Options
    that kamala is nice. flair seems to be have a slight tilt to her? might be the first carnation card w/ a tilt that ive seen....definitely unique.
  • Options
    surprised ya opened the pack too?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Those are sharp! Heading to PSA? >>

Definitely. The Flair has a touched lower corner unfortunately. Still a great card though. >>

Looks nice! Did you ever read Kamala's book?
  • Options

<< <i>surprised ya opened the pack too? >>

I have never been successful at keeping anything sealed.
  • Options
    Shipped these puppies off to PSA today. I had two cards that didn't grade in my renewal sub so these took their place.

These are very strong cards so hopefully they do well.

• Options
    My order was logged this morning. It appears they are running on time if your order is marked properly on the outside of the package.

• Options

<< <i>My order was logged this morning. It appears they are running on time if your order is marked properly on the outside of the package. >>

I am of the opinion that it just can be really random no matter what you do.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Mine was received last Thursday. Marked 5 day and still not logged.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    My package was delivered to their P.O. Box Thursday morning and logged this morning.

I have a friend who sent his overnight and it is an express order and it was logged today too after being received yesterday.

Hopefully yours gets logged soon. I also called to see how they were pacing on renewal subs and the phone rep said they are pretty much on time with the seven business day turnaround.

Within a few days I won't be able to help myself and will checking the order. LOL

• Options

Order #20943159 / Submission #6987997
    Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 24581132 GEM MINT 10 1986 Carnation Major League Wrestling Kamala Card
    2 1 24581133 MINT 9 1986 Carnation Major League Wrestling Ric Flair Card

• Options
    Nice!! Congrats
  • Options

<< <i>Nice!! Congrats >>

Thanks! I am extremely excited about this!

The Flair is now a Pop 3 with none higher and the Kamala is actually a Pop 2 and one of the only two cards to ever grade Gem Mint from the set.

• Options

<< <i>Order #20943159 / Submission #6987997
    Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 24581132 GEM MINT 10 1986 Carnation Major League Wrestling Kamala Card
    2 1 24581133 MINT 9 1986 Carnation Major League Wrestling Ric Flair Card

image >>

With that you are probably the top guy in the registry over that begsu guy ..........both you CU members have amazing Carnation sets. Congrats to you both. image
  • Options
    d@mn, I hear ya son! kamala was definitely nice. think ya got the grader who had a threesome the night before w/ the flair though! image
  • Options
    and probably feels a lil better doing it that route, huh? image
  • Options

<< <i>and probably feels a lil better doing it that route, huh? image >>

The game is far from over! image

• Options
    exactamundo!

congrats, d....

if ya take it over, then now ya deserve it!

kudos!
  • Options
    As I said before, both of those top sets require a ton of work......those cards are really condition sensitive and I bet many others would not have the persistence of these two CU members.....the race is on and as dpeck said, far from over!
  • Options
    for sure. just checked and they hadn't loaded the new ones to be added....

but in all honesty, the #1 set should reside w/ a collector's whose main passion is wrestling cards!

i'm sure he will take the spot and am glad it transpired in this fashion versus the other snafu.

now he truly deserves it and am completely happy for him!

just know, i will still be keeping him on his toes...

muhahaha.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Great cards!

Now, why can't I ever get T.G.W.H.A.T.T.N.B.?
    I am sick of T.G.O.D.

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Ah yeah, congrats. That is awesome!
  • Options
    The mail man can't get here soon enough! image
  • Options
    These look so nice in the new holders. I love it when they are sealed nice with the plastic sleeve holding them in tight.

• Options
    I text a pic to Ric Flair and he text back!!! Haha

Awesome!!!
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Flair!!!
  • Options
    kamala gets my approval all day long, but still say the flair was a gift.... image

just logged onto the site and I guess they updated w/ bonus points...

puts me back on top, but still not a fan of this bonus point sh!t. at. all.

edit: would gladly relinquish the spot and go to no. 2 if they removed this gimmick.
  • Options
    Calculating the cards with the bonus points on a set with various weightings is confusing at first to say the least.

If you take the Sergeant Slaughter card. It is a 2 weighting so it would have been 20 total points in a 10. The total points in the set would be 170.

Last week when I was entering the cards and playing around with the numbers to try and figure out my ranking I would have given this card 2 X 9 +2 = 20 points. Instead it is 22 points.

The Road Warriors card is 50 points and so an 8 generally would be 40. Because there is no grade higher then an 8 the card received one bonus point and this takes its weighting to a 45 which would be the equivalent of a 9.

Essentially what this is saying is that the Sergeant Slaughter is an 11 so you must add the points first and then multiply by the value of each point and in this case 2.

It is going to take some time to get used to on sets with weightings. Because the Wrestling All Stars sets are equally weighted it is easy math and I got that one right from the start.

What PSA has done with this new program is amplify the importance of low pop cards. If it sticks around you are going to see some serious battles on EBAY.
  • Options
    It has been a really slow year for me on the buying side but always nice to pick up a Flair.

This is a nice copy with strong centering but obviously has that little print dot in the upper blue area.

Either way I will take it for $100.

• Options
    yes, was the under bidder on this card. coulda been snagged at $81 had i not participated. fairly decent example, but i've simply been watching vs. bidding heavy just to see where pricing is on this series. must say, the prices have seemed to drop drastically. the pwcc road warriors 8 few months back, the martel 8, this fairly decent flair. all seem to have gone ridiculously low.

heck, there's even a kamala 9 @ $499obo that's been listed awhile now that still hasn't moved...

• Options
    Someone nailed some big grades this morning. A fresh PSA 9 Flair and a Pop 1 PSA 9 The Koloffs.

• Options
    muhaha.