Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• Are Probsteins cards from that recent graded set sold?
  • I think so, but not 100% sure
  • Yes they are the seller who broke up that set doesn't have any psa 10's listed any more.
  • I've been looking for sweet mini 9s and 10s for a while but I keep reading that lots of them are "short" so I have abstained from bidding on any. I'm new to this thread but I have been following some of the mini news from this site for a while and I'm still a bit confused. I seem to recall another thread a few months ago (where did it go, by the way?) and there were lots of posts where collectors were warning others of shorter than usual minis. But how can there be short cards if the PSA experts approved them as being authentic and unaltered and encapsulated them? Don't they look at cards under magnification? Shouldn't the edges look different when trimmed? Also, even if bunches of altered cards did slip by, I'm assuming PSA had to have been notified by some of you guys (you all seem so passionate that I can't believe you'd settle for such a thing if true) so once PSA learned of this, why didn't they simply buy them off of eBay to get them out of circulation? I just checked that link by Probstein and many of his PSA 10 minis do indeed look obviously short when I compare them to other mini cards in PSA slabs. Am I missing something here? Doesn't PSA back up their service? Can someone please enlighten me because quite frankly this has me baffled and very confused. Can PSA spot altered cards or not? Does PSA fix mistakes by buying back cards or not? I have hundreds of ungraded minis and I was thinking of submitting them to PSA but why should I spend thousands of dollars if this service can't be trusted? I'm also asking these questions on behalf of about a half dozen other mini collectors who I met at a card show a few weeks ago. They also have been kicking around the idea of putting together graded mini sets but have heard about "the shorts" and have changed their minds. Help!!!
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    there is a fine line on shorts, many shorts were short from the pack. there has been a lot of packs opened from the group here who can attest to this many of the collectors on here have been relegated to abstaining from all shorts(unless they opened them) for fear that some shorts became short after the fact. I believe there was a suspect group that was pointed out in the old thread.
  • Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    If you click on my registry set (the link is in my sig line), you'll see that I have photos of every card in it. Note how they completely fill the holder with no gaps except for a few red top/yellow bottom and green top/yellow bottom combos. This is how I buy.
    BTW, FygarSlayer, welcome to the boards. I see by your board name that you're new. Or are you the same person on here who was Toad and DangerBird at one time? You sure sound like him.
  • purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Just found out the results of some toughies that I sent in on a group sub. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results.

18519919 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 14 MILT WILCOX Card US
    18519920 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 54 ERIC SODERHOLM Card US
    18519921 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 58 CHUCK TAYLOR Card US
    18519922 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 86 JOE LIS Card US
    18519923 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 125 KEN SINGLETON Card US
    18519924 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 125 KEN SINGLETON Card US
    18519925 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 127 GLENN BORGMANN Card US
    18519926 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 133 DAN DRIESSEN Card US
    18519927 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 219 ED HERRMANN Card US
    18519928 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 301 DAVE ROBERTS Card US
    18519929 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 302 RICK BURLESON Card US
    18519930 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 326 WAYNE TWITCHELL Card US
    18519931 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 442 MAXIMINO LEON Card US
    18519932 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 456 BOB COLUCCIO Card US
    18519933 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 514 JOSE CRUZ Card US
    18519934 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 564 TOMMY DAVIS Card US
    18519935 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 612 TERRY HUGHES Card US
    18519936 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 647 CLAUDELL WASHINGTON Card US
    18519937 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 647 CLAUDELL WASHINGTON Card US
    18519938 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 649 JACK HEIDEMANN Card US

The 8's are headed to eBay after I get them back.........I felt that the 7's were just as nice image
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work on Twitch and Tommy D image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only "natural" shorts are the red-yellow or green-yellow cards out of the pack.

It's very tough to get cards with those color combos graded as most will now come back minsizereq.

I would not bid or purchase any other card with a different color combo that doesn't fill its holder.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only "natural" shorts are the red-yellow or green-yellow cards out of the pack.

It's very tough to get cards with those color combos graded as most will now come back minsizereq. >>

These 2 were from packs and were sent several times before they finally graded.

• hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    When were those graded?
    I have a Gullett red/yellow that is slightly short but mint
    I haven't sent it in because I didn't think it would grade
  • If those that are willing to pay $1,000 for a 1/1 1975 Topps Mini common PSA 10 would please contact me at their earliest convenience. I just might be willing to sell some of my #1 set's premium examples. Of course any commons that are really tough to come by might require a little more incentive prior to my parting ways with them image The reality of how rare the high end premium examples of this set are seems to be setting in. Consider the most recent sales on premium low pop PSA 9 and PSA 10 examples.
  • How did those rare Psa 10s that Probstein was selling do?
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I think those were higher pop 10's.

MM you selling your 647 Psa 9 too? If so send me a scan.
  • My #647 fills the holder completely, no question why it's the only PSA 9 example image If I were to sell it, what do you think it would go for?

Only one way to find out what the market would bring. Put it on the bay and let the chips fall. I'd be all over it.

Selling whole vs breaking up depends on a whole host of factors. Time one has on hand, time one wants the sale by, desire to maximize value of best cards in set, etc. Pros and cons to each avenue. In earlier post it seemed you were down with breaking certain cards loose.
    MM,

Would love to see a scan of that CW card..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Yeah MM,
    Id like to see it as well.
  • Unless I received an offer I couldn't refuse, I don't see myself selling or breaking up the set. Far to iconic a set in my humble opinion to simply break it up after working on it for the past 7 years plus. I feel it has enhanced value on many levels. 1) It being the #1 set on the PSA Set Registry, 2) The only modern baseball card set voted into PSA's HOF, 3) A set having countless premium examples. Most of the PSA 10's I have in my set fill the holder! I've seen many 2nd examples that do not. You can do the math on how that would improve the stock of my set. You'd really have to see the set to really have an appreciation as to how well it stacks up against any other set of it's kind.

Can you tell I like my set....lol image

Gorgeous 647. I'll put a standing offer of a grand on it if things ever get tight for you image For as Mobb Deep said, "When the dough get low the jewels go." This post represents my procrastination for the week, now sadly no more cards and back to work.
  • Matt! Ya slacker!.... Actually, I imagine your hard at work on another fine project of great interest.

The Claudell would go for a bit more than your standing offer I would imagine..... though it would be a good starting price, if it were for sale.... image

The scan shows real small when I click on the link, but from what I could see, that is a super sharp CW card!

• It is an amazing card considering all the one's that show up miscut, grossly off center or with wicked print marks. Just consider all the cases and boxes that have been cracked and this is the only PSA 9 (with no PSA 10's) that exists!
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Matty - grats on Carlton. I had made the initial bid, but couldn't be online for the auction end. Same with the Seaver.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    Thanks. Was pretty shocked at the final price-- way lower than expected. Especially after the major prices we've seen recently for PSA 9 commons like Stanley and Randle. While the Carlton is a pop 5, they have never come up for sale and this one from Eric was solid. Sadly I was a bit low on the Seaver.

Was that Seaver the one you got from a pack?

Even with all the common 10s that have popped up recently (self subs by the set owner from centered boxes/case?) it's crazy how the low pop cards still stay so low. Even the stars like Ryan and Rose have seen no big increase in their PSA 9 pops, and forget about us ever seeing a 10 of those guys.
    No, it wasnt my seaver... seems he had two... If it had been mine, I would have bid quite a bit more. Mine was dead centered back as well.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • This Seaver PSA 10 looked pretty nice to me, and the price was right as well image
  • Matt, Nice pick up on that Carlton. Very nice looking card! Was glad you were the one to get it. I have not forgotten, you helped me get my # 185 Carlton PSA 10 several years ago, along with a few other star 10's of the highest quality! image
    I posted this on the B/S/T page too, but if anyone working on this set needs the following cards in an 8, auctions for these cards end tonight on the bay (10/25):

18519919 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 14 MILT WILCOX Card US
    18519920 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 54 ERIC SODERHOLM Card US
    18519926 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 133 DAN DRIESSEN Card US
    18519930 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 326 WAYNE TWITCHELL Card US
    18519934 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 564 TOMMY DAVIS Card US
    18519935 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 612 TERRY HUGHES Card US

Thanks!
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Congrats PurduePete, you were selling in the right place at the right time.

I'm wondering if someone out there has a pile of cash and is simply trying to buy their '75 mini set outright, regardless of price, as quick as possible. Sure, I've only been assembling my set for six months and feel, like many others in this boat, that it could easily turn out to take a year or two if I remain aggressive.

However, with regards to the cards that ended last night (shown in the previous post), all I can say is, "Seriously?". I do not need any further education in the low populations of Driessen, Hughes and Tommy D, but $500 for the trio??? In PSA 8?? In my opinion, Tommy Davis is the only card that warranted the price, because a PSA 8 is the end of the scale for that card.

I suppose simple laws of supply and demand will exacerbate these swings now and then, especially if an individual is trying to buy their way into a competition. The last Tommy Davis PSA 8 closed at (I believe) $89 three weeks ago, sold by Rick Probstein.

[Living and Learning]

dk

• Nice final selling prices for those cards. IMO that is pretty close to what those go for. The last two Hughes I remember being sold went for $300+ each. Twitchell was normal at about $35. The Davis did well, but it was a full size reasonably centered green/yellow which probably helped bring a premium.
    As to the prior Tommy Davis card selling for less and it being a supply and demand thing, I think it's much more than that. Each card has its own slightly unique attributes that affects its price. For example, many value a 50/50 centered PSA 8 card, especially if said card is difficult to find even marginally centered, more than one that is centered at the lower end of the PSA 8 range (i.e., 35/65 or 30/70) and will pay more accordingly. These little nuances can wildly affect the price of a card.

Also, you say you are "living and learning" so, regarding the green-yellow and red-yellow combos, these cards more often than not came factory cut a little on the short side (about 1 mm or more short). For this reason, full-size examples of these cards are relatively rare, and I place a higher value on them; I've observed others do so as well. This is another one of those little nuances that can wildly affect the price of a card.

Good luck with your set!
  • I'm just glad I picked mine up long ago when prices were nowhere near where they are now, and have been for the past several years!

A glimpse of what I paid for several of my cards. Many are pretty hard to come by! Don't let the list fool you.... I've paid plenty for many other 9's and 10's. it's pretty amazing how far this graded set has come since 2004 image

#16 - Frank Tanana PSA 9 - $40
    #53 - Dave Giusti PSA 9 - $56
    #59 - Ken Henderson PSA 10 - $69
    #64 - Dave Chalk PSA 9 - $18
    #65 - Don Gullett PSA 9 - $31
    #116 - Lerrin LaGrow PSA 9 - $30
    #143 - Cliff Johnson PSA 9 - $46
    #149 - Tim Foli PSA 9 - $30
    #205 - 1967 MVP's PSA 10 - $112
    #218 - Jerry Johnson PSA 10 - $57
    #229 - Barry Foote PSA 9 - $30
    #246 - Cardinals Team PSA 9 - $22
    #322 - Ed Goodson PSA 9 - $26
    #339 - Jim Fergosi PSA 9 - $25
    #345 - Clay Carroll PSA 9 - $24
    #371 - Gates Brown PSA 9 - $39
    #405 - John Montague PSA 9 - $26
    #408 - Clyde Wright PSA 10 - $100
    #417 - Skip Lockwood PSA 9 - $40
    #480 - Carlos May PSA 10 - $112
    #503 - Fred Stanley PSA 9 - $30
    #612 - Terry Hughes PSA 9 - $40

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone! Please tell me what I missed on this one.

Thought I had a legitimate shot at a 9.5 er 10, well a 9 for sure. Under 10x magnification only a minute bit of an imperfection on right side corners. I figured the rough cut was a good thing as well. Naked eye looks great to me!?!?!?!?!

Joe

edited to add second scan. BTW back centering is good.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    Crack and resub. They are just brutal on these. Brutal.
  • I'll give it a shot. Centered a bit low, but not too bad. Snow is an issue with these cards, but I can't see that this is an issue from your scan.
    1975 Topps Minis, 1964 Topps
    I have a 9 in my registry this one is as good or better. I am not a fan of the rough cut. Actually have two more raw almost as nice...... well I guess that's up to PSA. Hate to sell a $300.00 card for $30.00. What would a 10 be worth? $900.00?????

This one's going back.

Joe

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    A ten of a star like that, depends on how deserving. If it's not an over graded card, I'd say at least $900. Beyond that depends on who's in the hunt.
  • DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    This is exactly the reason I'm so hesitant to spend good money on submissions. Yesterday I received a (purchased) Bobby Bonds slabbed PSA 8. I'm not sure I want to litter my registered set with it...it measures only 76mm and has three yellow fish eyes on the green (two of them are MASSIVE); to top it off, the photo is tilted 5 degrees within the border.

With 8's like that, all my raw cards appear to be 9's and 10's.

Sorry...venting again...I'll try to keep it in check.

Healthy prices are good for all of us mini collectors...Grading varies over time...if you don't agree with the grade, and the upgrade is worth it, crack and resubmit for sure.

Bonds is one of the natural short cards, and I've seen PSA 9s with fisheyes.

Re the Killebrew: Is there snow in the dark brown top half of the card? That is the only reason I can see why that card would not grade Mint 9.

If at first you don't succeed, crack, crack again... if you believe it is a legit 9. It has been true for a long time now that using previously slabbed cards as a guide will not work for minis any longer. They have been graded, in my opinion, at least .5 if not a full grade lower for the last two years on average than they used to.

It is for reasons like that, that a clean, full sized, centered green or red yellow will command a premium. I thought the prices the other night were spot on. I also thought the probstein davis was an outright dog and was priced accordingly.

Two years is not at all an unrealistic timeframe to complete a graded mini set, particularly in 8 or better. It took me longer and I have subbed well over 5,000 minis personally. I'm sitting on a sub of 500~ cards for months myself for lack of time to market them and lack of faith that the grades will be worthwhile.

I am about to create a lot of free time that I have not had in a very long time and will be able to focus on cards again. I have roughly 1,000 graded minis I havent had time to list, so for folks looking to fill sets, help will be on the way in the coming weeks.

Jim
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    They have been graded, in my opinion, at least .5 if not a full grade lower for the last two years on average than they used to.

Absolutely. Probably more like a full grade lower.

The newer holders with the numerical grade below the stated grade are better for judging the length of the card (that is, better for judging whether the card is full sized or not). I've noticed that buyers pay slightly more for cards in the newer holder.

Another change, prior to about 2 years ago, PSA would give an 8 for a card with snow in the photo. Those days are over. Snow in photo, even if faint/light = 7 max. There seems to be no exception to this now.

Still another change is this: all else being equal, you have a better chance getting a 9 on a card if the colors are really bold AND the focus/registry is crisp. If centering is slightly off of perfect (50/50) vertically, you have a better chance of getting a 9 if the card is skewed toward the top of the card rather than the bottom.
    Grote, no snow at all. Card just looks gorgeous!

Here's the one that didn't get sent in.

Prolly a 7OC LOL ("spots" on scanner)

Ever wonder why there seem to be different standards for different sets and star players vs commons?

Have fun collecting!

Joe
  • Bottom of the Killebrew PSA 8 appears to have a slight curl? Otherwise it has very nice centering. I take it the blue-ish coloring around Killebrews neck is from your scan and not on the card. If it was on the card.... that would justify a PD qualifier. If the rough cut is only on half of the left side of the card as we see it.... that might have been a problem for the PSA grader? If these issues are all a result of a poor scan then most definitely resub! Good Luck image
    LOL new scanner is already on the way. Ordered an Epson Perfection V300 through Amazon the other day.

Rough cut is most noticeable on the top but gets gradually less so as you travel towards bottom.

If this was the 1961 thread I could show you an even worse example of an undergraded card!

Still having fun collecting!

Joe
  • I just put up a great 75 Topps Mini Nolan Ryan PSA 9 for auction through Greg Bussineau's auction site, go here to check it out. Simply search for NOLAN RYAN: http://www.gregbussineauauctions.com/Catalog3.aspx
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Does that #500 Nolan Ryan PSA 9 Mini have some chipping issues on the lower (left of center edge) of the card?
  • #647 washington-finally find some full size example and they're completley overwhelmed with snow. I don't think it's possible to find another example of a 9.

The card on the left has T/B centering that might be an issue - but the card on the right is really nice! Looks like an 8 to me...

I would definitely sub it to see what PSA thinks.
    Tom