Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Barring my previous pessimistic comments regarding grades, I would have to agree that the one on the right is a solid 8 any day.
  • Options
    Minimaster- no chipping issues what so ever. In my humble opinion it was a candidate for a PSA 10, but you all know how stingy they are with those on these rare cards. It's truly a beauty.
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Options
    That's been the issue with this card all along.....either short cut or littered with snow or other print defects. The fact that they are full sized is worth getting them graded. Even in a 7 holder they will sell for more than the overall grading process will cost you. If you get an 8 or even a 7.5 it will be worth the effort image
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    The Ryan has a minor tilt that would prevent a 10, regardless of other issues.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Minimaster- no chipping issues what so ever. In my humble opinion it was a candidate for a PSA 10, but you all know how stingy they are with those on these rare cards. It's truly a beauty. >>

tilt
    corner touch lower left
    slight chipping on bottom edge
    white print mark in sky area

might meet 9 criteria but no way 10
  • Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Did PSA labels evolve over the years? Check out the PSA 9 George Brett just relisted on the bay and see if you agree that the label looks like it came out of a dot matrix printer. I'm only a year or so into collecting PSA graded cards and, quite honestly, I've only owned about 1000 total. So I'm certainly not the most well rounded collector, but I've never seen a label with that long a bar code or the slashes through the zeros.

Can anyone confirm that this is just the way they were in the beginning? I am interested in the card and think the price is reasonable, but the label scares me.
  • Options
    The flips have changed font/look quite a few times over the years. There was a thread with pictures of the differences somewhere on the boards. Maybe someone can chime in and help. The Brett appears to be a very early graded card( I think).
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the cards from my recent renewal sub...I've never had much luck with the MVP cards, but this one was really nice..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Maybe prices are finally starting to come down? Was pleasantly surprised to see the legit Foote and Christensen cards sell for those prices. I had been looking for a good #229 for some time. The pop says 7 but at least two are shorties. Xmas came early! Now where is that new Milbourne PSA 9 that the pop says exists-- hasn't come up for sale yet...
  • Options
    Check your PM regarding the Milbourne MattyC-
  • Options
    Matty C. I thought the Christianson looked short? It was definitely not filling the holder, more easily noticeable at the bottom of the holder in the scan. I sure hope it measures 80mm at that price image
  • Options
    I saw that it was not perfectly flush on the bottom, but it's fine to me. As someone documented in the old thread that went poof, there is a natural, albeit small, variance-- and that tiny hair-thickness on this card doesn't bother me in the least. I'll live with that card at that price all day. Heck, I'd've paid what both auctions cost me just for the Barry Foote.
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    is a natural, albeit small, variance-- and that tiny hair-thickness on this card doesn't bother me in the least

I agree, it looks good to me.

Which brings up a question, has anyone submitted a 75 mini pulled from a pack and in a color combo other than red/yellow or green/yellow that came back Min Size?
  • Options
    Many, many times. I've had some 77 Topps come back min siz req. from a cello box I bought like ten years ago. Other threads show that it happens to guys on other sets, too. Just part of the grading process, def not endemic to minis only.

Edit to add: Just participated in a group rip; it's fun. Once in a while we mini set collectors should try and do a group box rip from BBCE.
  • Options
    is a natural, albeit small, variance-- and that tiny hair-thickness on this card doesn't bother me in the least

I agree, it looks good to me.

Which brings up a question, has anyone submitted a 75 mini pulled from a pack and in a color combo other than red/yellow or green/yellow that came back Min Size?

It';s very common with other issues, but of the hundreds of 75 minis I've submitted to PSA over the last couple of years, the only cards to come back minsizereq were red-yellow and gree-yellow.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

Where I was going with my question is whether anyone has pulled a 75 mini from an untampered pack where the card was less than 80 mm and not a red/yellow or green/yellow combo. I'm asking because I have some mini's in color combos other than red/yellow or green/yellow that are less than 80 mm and show no signs (as far as I have the ability to tell) of trimming; I didn't pull them from packs, so I don't know their entire history. They're just a little short. So I'm thinking that because other Topps issues also come up a little short and are legit, the same may be true of some mini's.
  • Options
    Once in a while we mini set collectors should try and do a group box rip from BBCE

Agreed. That would be fun.
  • Options
    my Nolan Ryan PSA 9 mini is up for auction as of 30 mins ago at: http://www.gregbussineauauctions.com/Catalog3.aspx
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Options
    I just opened two packs from BBCE right now at my desk while procrastinating and just by looking at how they sit stacked up, to the naked eye there are natural size variations. I have a Jim Rice RC here that is way taller than some other cards in the pack (which are not red/yel or green/yel). If this Rice and a shorter card were sent in for grading and examined right next to each other, I can totally see how an inexperienced grader might think the shorter card is trimmed and issue a min size req.
  • Options
    forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question, but is there an overall lack of HOF power of PSA Mini Listings on eBay?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    I've found cards shorter and longer in packs. Outside of the more commonly found Red/Yellow, Green/Yellow color combo cards, any other color combo's on cards are not at all common to find short. I've found the Pink/Yellow color combo longer cards Matty C. has described, along with the Tan/Light Blue color combo longer cards. I'm wondering if there is any common bond between the shorter and longer cards. It is possible these Pink/Yellow, Tan/Light Blue color combo's might have been getting cut longer while the red/yellow, green/yellow cards were getting cut short? Perhaps they had just the right placement on the sheets when they were cutting the cards at the factory? Seems logical in that we commonly find two similar color combo's short and 2 similar color combo's long? Of course there are full size cards of all the cards, so there obviously had to be some sort of correction made by Topps at some point in the cutting process of these cards.
    Just thinking out loud here people, what are your thoughts?

• Options
    I've wondered if the green/yellow short cards relate to the problem these seem to have with the miscut yellow strips along the top of some of these cards.
    1975 Topps Minis, 1964 Topps
  • Options
    ThoseBackPages,

There seems to be a lack of 75 Topps Mini's in general on eBay. Numbers are way down. I'm mainly referring to the higher end material.

Still, even the PSA 8 numbers are down. Though that doesn't surprise me that much. The higher pop common 8's don't sell for much. If you are looking for certain higher pop common examples and are willing to pay me my grading fee's and the associated costs of grading the card ie; shipping/handling etc. then let me know and I'll see if I have what you need. As far as HOF'ers in 75 Mini's, I have several of those as well. Though they will cost more image
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    MM, pm sent
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    it really is weird that there are currently only 665 "1975 Topps Mini PSA" items currently running on ebay.

MM, i understand what you're saying about 8's not being worth the price of submission, but you'd think there
    would be more listed anyhow.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anybody is in need of a mini set, I am getting ready to list a set I bought (mostly) from Julen23. Please let me know if interested.

He built it with the help of guys here, and with wax he cracked (and some that I busted too). Most of the stars and HOF'ers are PSA 8, some green/yellows in 8 too - about 50 PSA graded and the rest is very clean raw. New sheets and binder.

Thanks.

FWIW, I was thinking that the mini listings on ebay looked low too.

EDIT: Now on ebay: Linky
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    It's likely the dealers or collectors are not getting what they want for them and they are just sitting on them. Demand for the 8's at say $10-$12 would bring them back in a big hurry. No demand at right price, no cards image
  • Options

Here are uncut 75 T sheets. Note that the shorties (red/yellow and green/yellow) run along the top. The long cards (pink/yellow and tan/blue) run along the bottom. Note where the toughies C.Washington, Giusti, and F.Taveras sit (all in the same spot).

Another general observation: Many of the cards that are commonly off-center sit on an edge (e.g., Nolan Ryan #500 (third sheet, right edge) and Cubs Team (first sheet, left edge - Also, Hegan, Costa, Blyleven, etc - all on an edge).

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Some other observations:

On sheet 2, rows 7 and 8 are killer finding centered well. Most of those tend to be off-center top to bottom with the centering skewed toward the bottom (i.e., thin border on bottom/thick border on top). Think Doyle, Garvey, Bourbon, Milner, E. Williams, Lolich, etc.

High pop commons are grouped together as well. Example: Sheet 1, row 6 (especially, Pena, McCarver, and Hunt).

Notoriously snowy cards are together as well. Reitz and Marshall Highlights on Sheet 2 jump out at me (row 11, column 9 (Reitz) and row 10, column 9 (Marshall Highlights). Heck, a large part of that column 9 on that sheet is tough as far as PD goes.

• Options
    Thanks for posting those sheets, Indy! You can certainly see why certain kinds of cards will naturally come out of the pack short or long. PSA does allow for some variance but the only cards likely to be designated minsizereq are the ones we've mentioned. In well over 1k cards submitted I only had those two color combos rejected, primarily red-yellow more than green- yellow.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, those sheets bring back memories of some packs I broke wherein each of the 5 or 6 packs had a super-long pink/yellow rookies in it. They were literally bowed by the wax wrapper, had a nice Jim Rice that PSA wouldn't grade because it was too big. Ended up an 8 in a condom after 4 or 5 subs.

And (logically) the green/yellows in those packs were micro-mini. I recall an esp. tiny Claudell Washington....

Thanks for the sheet pics image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Thanks for posting the scan Indy. It's easy to see why the cards show up as they do. Most cards living on the edge or corners of the sheet didn't do so well when Topps rolled them onto the cutting machine. It's also interesting that several cards within the sheet are very tough to find in high grade. Notice where the #50 Brooks Robinson Card is located. In fact, that whole row and the one below it is littered with extremely tough to find in high grade cards. I'm sure the other 2 sheets not shown tell the same story. So many questions answered after looking at the uncut sheets image
  • Options
    Wow, since 2004 I've never seen the list of 75 Topps Mini PSA 9's offered on the bay showing only 2 cards with bids. The rest have no bids and most are BIN auctions? Strange days indeed.
  • Options
    Those sheet are awesome. That definitely explains the shorts and why some of the cards are so tough. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    im THINKING about collecting the HOFers in PSA 7.5 to 8.5 form with it all about being the centering/eye appeal. i know, im crazy! LOL
  • Options
    Great info Indy. Thanks for sharing. Do you have pix of the other 2 sheets?
    1975 Topps Minis, 1964 Topps
  • Options
    That's all I have. Here is a link to a fourth sheet with Alou in the upper left. You'll have to click on the second photo. Note all the difficult-to-find centered cards on an edge (Morton, Ryan Highlights, Belanger, Staub, etc)

Fourth Sheet
  • Options
    Here are my latest 75 Mini grades...I pulled all of these from a lot of mini wax packs I bought on ebay a couple of months back. Was very pleased to get a PSA 9 on the F. Robinson and tough 8s on the Hughes and Blyleven cards. Does anyone know what the value of a PSA 8.5 #460 NL Championship card is?

1 1 19406611 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 531 REDS TEAM SPARKY ANDERSON, MGR. Card US
    2 1 19406612 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1975 TOPPS MINI 460 N.L. CHAMPIONSHIPS Card US
    3 1 19406613 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 580 FRANK ROBINSON Card US
    4 1 19406614 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 498 AL DOWNING Card US
    5 1 19406615 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 594 JIM FULLER Card US
    6 1 19406616 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 1 '74 HIGHLIGHTS HANK AARON Card US
    7 1 19406617 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 134 RON HODGES Card US
    8 1 19406618 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 223 ROBIN YOUNT Card US
    9 1 19406619 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 520 AMOS OTIS Card US
    10 1 19406620 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 159 STEVE ARLIN Card US
    11 1 19406621 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 174 BAKE McBRIDE Card US
    12 1 19406622 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 304 PIRATES TEAM DANNY MURTAUGH, MGR. Card US
    13 1 19406623 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 621 ROOKIE PITCHERS Card US
    14 1 19406624 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 136 JIM MASON Card US
    15 1 19406625 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 612 TERRY HUGHES Card US
    16 1 19406626 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 206 1968 MVP'S D.McLAIN/B.GIBSON Card US
    17 1 19406627 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 30 BERT BLYLEVEN Card US
    18 1 19406628 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 486 RAY FOSSE Card US
    19 1 19406629 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 455 DON WILSON Card US
    20 1 19406630 N8: MISCUT 1975 TOPPS MINI 56 RICK WISE Card US
    21 1 19406631 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 276 WHITE SOX TEAM CHUCK TANNER, MGR. Card US
    22 1 19406632 MINT 9 OC 1975 TOPPS MINI 228 GEORGE BRETT Card US
    23 1 19406633 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 654 JERRY TERRELL Card US
    24 1 19406634 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 OC 1975 TOPPS MINI 500 NOLAN RYAN Card US
    25 1 19406635 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 246 CARDINALS TEAM R. SCHOENDIENST, MGR. Card US
    26 1 19406636 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 630 GREG LUZINSKI Card US
    27 1 19406637 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 178 CESAR TOVAR Card US
    28 1 19406638 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 223 ROBIN YOUNT Card US
    29 1 19406639 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 42 JOE COLEMAN Card US
    30 1 19406640 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 199 1961-MVP'S R.MARIS/F.ROBINSON Card US
    31 1 19406641 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 589 BRAVES TEAM CLYDE KING, MGR. Card US
    32 1 19406642 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 307 HOME RUN LEADERS D.ALLEN/M.SCHMIDT Card US
    33 1 19406643 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 490 REGGIE SMITH Card US
    34 1 19406644 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 601 JUAN BENIQUEZ Card US
    35 1 19406645 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 477 TOM HUTTON Card US
    36 1 19406646 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 394 LARVELL BLANKS Card US

• Options
    Hey Grote, Very nice!

The .5 is kind of a funny thing, because those targetting an 8 set probably would not want to pay too much more for an 8.5 versus an 8, and those wanting a higher grade set (higher than an 8) would probably hold out for a 9. The last 8 that I remember selling went for something like $25-$30, so maybe an 8.5 would get $35-$40? Just a guess.

Were any of those 8's you received at the lower marging of 8 centering? I've noticed that the last 1-1.5 months that they are grading cards centered at the margins a ton less stringently than the previous 8-9 months. The margins are about 2mm on one border and 4 mm on the opposite border resulting in about 33/67 centering. Prior to about 1.5 months ago, I was getting 8's about 40-50 percent of the time with cards centerd like this. Recently, I've been batting a thousand.

Also, is the Aaron Highlights in 8 for sale? If so, please shoot me a pm. Thanks!

• Options
    Grote, PM sent.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys! Indy, I'd say the 8s are higher-end, except for maybe the Yount and Ryan which were centered low, but submitted because they are star cards. For commons, I pretty much try to weed out anything that doesn't have a realistic chance at a straight 9. Star cards, I'm more lenient on.

• Options
    I just listed some low pop 9's and a couple of 10's on ebay if anyone's interested.

#460 N.L. championship PSA 9 pop 5
    #461 W.S. game 1 PSA 9
    #638 Cubs Team PSA 9 pop 6
    #474 Walker PSA 10 pop 2
    #117 Orioles team PSA 10 pop 2
    #612 Hughes PSA 8(full size)
    #581 McEnaney PSA 8(full size)

I'll be listing a bunch more Sunday
  • Options
    i figure this is a good start...

• Options
    Sharp Brett card! Very nice indeed! Probably a Mint 9 if not for the fisheye, as PSA seems to be tougher on that then they used to be.

• Options
    Cubs and NL psa 9's in one sub? That is major. Years ago there was mad drama over the 460 card. Shame that old thread is gone. Some fun times back there!
  • Options
    i figure this is a good start...

Definitely an excellent start.

I like the OPC Brett in your sig line as well. Very richly colored.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Memories... you bought that 460 and a psa 9 alou back to back from me... that was a nice sub.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Duff, almost every key card in my set is from you. They are hands-down my most prized possessions. At least once a month I take a moment to wish you'd start subbing again.
    If you still have a case, I'll kick in some $ and we should crack that bad boy in search of some new star 10s and a Claudell 9, etc.

Just received the PWCC Foote and Christenson. Both are awesome. The latter measures just fine-- so glad I pulled the trigger on it.
  • Options
    What is it exactly that makes these minis so damn addictive? (and i mean that in a totally GOOD way)
    im sure this was answered in the "old thread", but if one of you experts could wax poetic for a bit, im sure im not the only one that would appreciate it
  • Options
    Like the regular 75s, this set has a great design, and an abundance of stars, HOFers, and RCs. Yet the second one looks into building a graded set of minis, one sees how very challenging it is to find well-centered, sharp examples. And the notorious ones are just absolute beasts. Challenges being rewarding, so becomes building this set. Then there is the great balance of passion, camaraderie, and competition among the set's enthusiasts.

To think how many boxes have been opened, and so few minis are even worth grading-- that is a factor that makes looking only at the pops and sub stats when evaluating this set's toughness a little specious. After the "flood" of the Conlon auction, we still don't have a PSA 10 Rose, Ryan, Schmidt, Winfield, or say a Gibson HL, let alone a PSA 9 of Tommy Davis, or new 9's of Washington, McEnaney, Krausse, Blyleven, Tanana, Cruz, and many others.

The stability of the pops of these cards in high grade over time is a real testament to how difficult the set is.