Home U.S. Coin Forum

The deal is done. And a fitting end. ("1964-D" Dollars)

dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
All done - no more will be made now (all remaining dies cancelled).

This "project" was a lot of work, but to me it was worth it for the educational and entertainment value alone.
Towards the end I started intentionally abusing the dies (I wanted to see a crack !).
Somewhat fitting that when the die did fail, it broke right over the "64" (the location of the crack was not planned).

"1964-D" Fantasy Over-Struck Peace Silver Dollars - Production Blog

Comments

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool project. Thanks for the image of the dies, that is neat.

Did you get all 1,964 pressed out? I see several listed on your blog that are struck but not released. Example: the 10 gold plated ones. Are these 10 counted as part of the 1,964 pieces?
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a major cud. Are you selling the canceled dies?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool project. Thanks for the image of the dies, that is neat.

Did you get all 1,964 pressed out? I see several listed on your blog that are struck but not released. Example: the 10 gold plated ones. Are these 10 counted as part of the 1,964 pieces? >>

Yes, all 1,964 pieces are done. Items that were struck but not released are included in the 1,964 figure. So the total number of coins actually sold ("released") is less than 1,964.

<< <i>Wow, that's a major cud. Are you selling the canceled dies? >>

I'm sure there would be a few buyers for them, but no.
    I usually throw dies in the "rust bucket" to rust away.
    Instead, I cancelled these with the "X" cut. I may keep
    them for display purposes.
    PS:

All the ones I allotted for sale are gone (all types are "Sold Out" at my web site).

I did save a quantity of different types for my own collection,
    but those will not be available in the forseeable future (if ever).

• If anyone wants to trade a matte proof for my PL PM ME!

Nice project DC. The die pics are very cool.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks DC, it was a fun ride.
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the wonderful pieces Daniel, your hard work is appreciated by a lot of us.

Thanks Again !
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great project, certainly provided this forum with a lot of discussion.... Cheers, RickO
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Nice! For some reason when you said you were overstriking original peace dollars, I pictured just the date and mintmark being struck into the fantasy dollars. I didn't realize that you made entirely new dies!

I wonder if the secret service is concerned about you striking regular coins? Obviously you have the skill and materials to strike everyday presidential dollars of you wanted! image
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many, many thanks. I never in a million years thought I would purchase a modern restrike. I've got two of yours - the single struck MS version and the PL. Both are awesome!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All done - no more will be made now (all remaining dies cancelled).

This "project" was a lot of work, but to me it was worth it for the educational and entertainment value alone.
    Towards the end I started intentionally abusing the dies (I wanted to see a crack !).
    Somewhat fitting that when the die did fail, it broke right over the "64" (the location of the crack was not planned).

"1964-D" Fantasy Over-Struck Peace Silver Dollars - Production Blog >>

What was this one struck on, a copper disc? I see no Peace dollar understrike in the cud area, or the corresponding unstruck area of the reverse behind the cud.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Congratulations on the major financial success. As others have calculated, the profits on the project are enough to buy a decent house. Amazing money for a few months of production run, and a far cry from not even breaking even, while traveling to set up at a major coin show.

Some champagne to celebrate might be called for, if you and your wife drink. Cheers.

• What was this one struck on, a copper disc? I see no Peace dollar understrike in the cud area, or the corresponding unstruck area of the reverse behind the cud. TD

The "understrike" Is at the top where the eagles head is.
  • I wonder if there would be a premium for your error coins? image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What was this one struck on, a copper disc? I see no Peace dollar understrike in the cud area, or the corresponding unstruck area of the reverse behind the cud.
    TD >>

Read the blog Tom:

"Die Pair 6
    Cud die break on date.
    Broad-struck on 39mm
    copper blank."

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Neat.

Anyone else notice the bifurcated lettering?
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Yep. Great project Dan! Now I'm just waiting for my "CAL" gold piece, and maybe the octagonal Pan-Pac!

Here's one more idea that might be more feasible: I don't know how many of you read my novel DOUBLE EAGLE (plug, plug), but in it, the boys find an 1861-O double eagle that has a Confederate States of America reverse. I mean, really, if you think this Peace Dollar was hot, imagine the sales from all the people interested in the Civil War?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Can you show us the strikes with the broken die on the various planchets you used, seventeen pieces I believe?
    Paul
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awwwwwwwwww. Man!!! I had to wait until payday (today) to get one. That's my luck. Ok, I'll go kick my dog now........ Ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Dwayne Sessom
  • I've got a couple different finishes on that 1971 Postal Service inauguration medal. I'd be willing to send 'em in for overstriking anytime.

<< <i>

<< <i>What was this one struck on, a copper disc? I see no Peace dollar understrike in the cud area, or the corresponding unstruck area of the reverse behind the cud.
    TD >>

Read the blog Tom:

"Die Pair 6
    Cud die break on date.
    Broad-struck on 39mm
    copper blank."

>>

So, if the other pieces were not counterfeits because they were struck over genuine Peace dollars, these copper strikes are..........what?

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

TD >>

Read the blog Tom:

"Die Pair 6
    Cud die break on date.
    Broad-struck on 39mm
    copper blank."

>>

So, if the other pieces were not counterfeits because they were struck over genuine Peace dollars, these copper strikes are..........what?

TD

Trial strikes of a fantasy coin.

image >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

That say UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and ONE DOLLAR?

C'mon, Perry......he's crossed the line into counterfeiting and you know it.

Don't feel the need to keep repeating "The parrot's not dead! He's just resting!"

TD
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, if the other pieces were not counterfeits because they were struck over genuine Peace dollars, these copper strikes are........Not for sale.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool that the die broke the way it did, with the Fates allowing the die to disavow any knowledge of having been dated 1964. It would have been way cool for other reasons (and quite impressive) had it developed the typical Peace dollar "smile" die crack (rim above IN, down through IN GOD, to the tip of the bust, along the lower edge of the bust, up through TR, behind hair, through Y of LIBERTY, into rim).
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go, dcarr. You...you've earned it:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Neat; we'll have a few "late die state" coins with die cracks.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.

• << <i>That say UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and ONE DOLLAR?

Don't feel the need to keep repeating "The parrot's not dead! He's just resting!"

TD >>

Come on Tom, we all know you're just jealous because he never came out with that bolo tie piece you wanted so bad.image
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I was a coin collector and still a kid when the 1964-D Peace Dollars were struck and I can still remember my excitement that we were going to have some new silver dollars made. It never happened. It was a disappointment when they were shelved. This has fulfilled a 46-year fantasy, for me and probably others. Thanks Dan.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if someone uses a high end laser printer and makes a $100 bill, but doesn't release it... then is it counterfeiting?

yes.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    I also missed out on the matte proof.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one of the very first matte proof coins...This is one beautiful piece!!

imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

<< <i>That say UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and ONE DOLLAR?

TD >>

Come on Tom, you know it's a fantasy coin and couldn't be a counterfeit since no 1964 Peace dollars exist.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That say UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and ONE DOLLAR?

TD >>

Come on Tom, you know it's a fantasy coin and couldn't be a counterfeit since no 1964 Peace dollars exist. >>

Piece Brother....image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello Dan,

First CONGRATULATIONS image on a great job on a fine coin. image

As I read thru your production blog I see that in fact 1964 pcs were struck but only 1610 pcs were released. That is a difference of 354 pcs. Your site says all coins are sold out. I am sure you have many coins in your private stock but my question is:

Do you have all 354 unreleased pcs or were many of them reused or destroyed? Just wondering what the final number of actual coins is?

Thanks, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • IF the United States of America were still minting coins like this, and they still circulated, these could pass for "real" coins. But the government stopped making real money decades ago, and these handsome replicas cannot circulate in 2011. To say that they are counterfeit (and imply that their maker is a counterfeiter) is ridiculous. I own four different examples myself, and they are as good as any Mint product, and better than some. Kudos to Mr. Carr.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/

<< <i>Hello Dan,

As I read thru your production blog I see that in fact 1964 pcs were struck but only 1610 pcs were released. That is a difference of 354 pcs. Your site says all coins are sold out. I am sure you have many coins in your private stock but my question is:

Do you have all 354 unreleased pcs or were many of them reused or destroyed? Just wondering what the final number of actual coins is?

Thanks, GrandAm image >>

interesting question, yes.

what are the sales/released figures ?

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    Dan, congrats on finishing your project and thanks for the three versions I picked up along the way. Your artistry is evident on these overstrikes and to me that makes them appealing. image
    Dan---Are you planning to make any more fantasy coins?

• dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< IF the United States of America were still minting coins like this, and they still circulated, these could pass for "real" coins. But the government stopped making real money decades ago, and these handsome replicas cannot circulate in 2011. >>>

Interesting logic. Are you saying that "real" coins are no longer legal tender and cannot be used as real money today?
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if someone uses a high end laser printer and makes a $100 bill, but doesn't release it... then is it counterfeiting?
    yes. >>

Not necessarily...

If you wish to do pretty much what Dan did but with currency, you need to modify a real $100 bill, leave the denomination alone, and muck with the design. Have fun!
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>if someone uses a high end laser printer and makes a $100 bill, but doesn't release it... then is it counterfeiting?
    yes. >>

Not necessarily...

If you wish to do pretty much what Dan did but with currency, you need to modify a real $100 bill, leave the denomination alone, and muck with the design. Have fun! >>

There are specific rules regarding duplicating currency - size and all. I don't think it is the same thing as what Dan is doing. If you copy it on a copier, in all cases this is a federal crime.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IF the United States of America were still minting coins like this, and they still circulated, these could pass for "real" coins. But the government stopped making real money decades ago, and these handsome replicas cannot circulate in 2011. To say that they are counterfeit (and imply that their maker is a counterfeiter) is ridiculous. I own four different examples myself, and they are as good as any Mint product, and better than some. Kudos to Mr. Carr. >>

If you were to strike a chain cent today without the word "copy" it would be a counterfeit. A real chain cent is still valid as one cent in commerce, as is every other coin struck by the mint valid for its given denomination. That the US no longer produces a design, type, or base metal has no bearing over the legality of copying those coins.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forget: What year was it that chain cents were minted and then melted in their entirety according to mint documents?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

yes. >>

Not necessarily...

If you wish to do pretty much what Dan did but with currency, you need to modify a real $100 bill, leave the denomination alone, and muck with the design. Have fun! >>

Actually that's not true... if you use currency in the same manner as Dan used the Peace Dollar, the ONLY thing you would change would be the date... so you could take a $100 bill from 1999 and scan it into your computer, change the date to 1964 and print 1,964 of them and sell them... since there are NO 1964 $100 bills, this would be legal... correct?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

<< <i>So, if the other pieces were not counterfeits because they were struck over genuine Peace dollars, these copper strikes are........Not for sale. >>

That is correct - the only pieces sold were those that were stamped over genuine legal tender Peace silver dollars, with no metal add or removed and no heating or melting.

None of the strikes on other items are being sold. Final disposition of them has yet to be determined. There are a couple possibilities:

1) They will eventually be destroyed.
    2) They will later be stamped "COPY" and sold (like when I retire for good).

For the time being, I'm going to just enjoy them as part of my own personal "collection".

<< <i>Hello Dan,

Thanks, GrandAm image >>

The total number of individual struck pieces that currently exist, in one form or another, is 1,964.
    Anything listed as minted but not released is currently in my long-term posession.
    Final disposition of those will be determined at a later date (hopefully much later).

<< <i>Dan---Are you planning to make any more fantasy coins? >>

Yes, but I'm not working ony any at this time. Maybe in a few months when I get my new engraving machine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file