Home U.S. Coin Forum

The deal is done. And a fitting end. ("1964-D" Dollars)

Comments

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So would it be safe to say that we have 3 classes of coin collectors...

Classic Coin Collectors (CCC)
    Modern Cr@p Coin Collectors (MCCC)
    Not Real Coin Collectors (NRCC)
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So would it be safe to say that we have 3 classes of coin collectors...

Not Real Coin Collectors (NRCC) >>

It would appear so. It also appears that some here think if you choose to collect certain categories of that list, you are a 'fool'. I think they would be hard pressed to convince Steph (coinsareus) that she is a 'fool' to collect those gorgeous tokens she is so kind as to share with us.
    I'll come up with something.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is somebody suggesting that I am dumb for collecting any of these? Which one(s) don't belong? I agree with Notsure.

imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Now we need DCARR to talk with capital plastics

Have a 5 coin holder put together with embossing of types and die

We need a larger order to do this.....

Both black and white inserts....

<< <i>Is somebody suggesting that I am dumb for collecting any of these? Which one(s) don't belong? I agree with Notsure. >>

According to Dragon (and his 'greater fool theory'), I believe you'd be a 'fool', not dumb, jmski52.

Those ALL belong, if you like them (and I like them all too, really taking a shine to those Wirtlands...even the 'Norfed'). I always thought one of the basic 'rules' was to COLLECT WHAT YOU LIKE.....noone should be considered a 'fool' because they like something and want to collect it. And thank you for agreeing with me, jmski52....a veteran like yourself agreeing with a point I made, well, it made my day!!! I finally feel like I didn't say something entirely useless, which I tend to do at times.
    5 coins in flips just arent doing it for me
    imageimageimage

I knew it would happen.
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .that silver Liberty coin above is breathtaking - is it available at D.Carrs website ?
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I think the silver coin is a 'norfed' dollar. I don't think they are available from the maker. The maker got in trouble for advertising them as a real alternative to US currency for transactions.
    I think the Norfed coins are still available on ebay, but I haven't checked lately. They usually sell for a nominal premium over melt, or they used to anyhow.

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>

It would appear so. It also appears that some here think if you choose to collect certain categories of that list, you are a 'fool'. I think they would be hard pressed to convince Steph (coinsareus) that she is a 'fool' to collect those gorgeous tokens she is so kind as to share with us. >>

And what about my Papal Medals ?

What about them, other than being awesome?image Which class do they fit into?

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>And what about my Papal Medals ?

What about them, other than being awesome?image Which class do they fit into? >>

I would say medals
    But it does highlight the different niches in the hobby.
    So I guess it all goes back to "Collect What You Like"
    back to reality

64-d peace dollars

papal medals deserve another thread.
    You are right 7 over 8

Hey
    How about a 3 over 8
    those papal medals are a thread killer

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ever happened to the coin ANACS slabbed? Was a photo of it posted? I would like to see what kind of slab was used, the curved top yellow / gold label holder or the normal slab blue label.

I would like to get some slabbed and since PCGS won't slab them I would send to ANACS if they are using the blue label regular holder. I don't like the curved top yellow / gold label holder image

I would like to ask if the person who got one slabbed could post a photo or even just a scan of the coin in the ANACS holder or at least tell us which holder his coin is in? Blue Label or Yellow / Gold Label with the curved top?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
    PCGS isn't slabbing them ...........yet image

.and those NORFED coins are on eBay by the fistfulls ......... I had no idea they even existed !

I'm still waiting for my Matte's ..........
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about some giant silver amero the beautiful hockey pucks ? There's a demand image

HE>I

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about some giant silver amero the beautiful hockey pucks ? There's a demand image >>

I think he would have to buy another coin press to make three-inchers.......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    If one TPG is grading the D. Carr fantasy Dollars , what is to keep PCGS from doing so ?

<< <i>PCGS isn't slabbing them ...........yet image

.and those NORFED coins are on eBay by the fistfulls ......... I had no idea they even existed !

I'm still waiting for my Matte's .......... >>

The Norfed's were fetching mucho $$ immediately after the seizure, but settled down, and are now very reasonable, and as PP said, they are plentiful. As for the '64-D mattes, I believe D. Carr said they'd be shipping soon...some may have left already (mine apparently hasn't yet), but I'd expect shipping in the next few days, where they are already produced.

I do wonder what went down with the PL/DMPL'S, though......total mintage was 183, released was 128??? I know he mentioned about 7 were used for the matte, but 55 weren't released after striking......care to fill us in, Dan? Nothing on the blog about it, and that's a big spread between minted and released.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS isn't slabbing them ...........yet image

I do wonder what went down with the PL/DMPL'S, though......total mintage was 183, released was 128??? I know he mentioned about 7 were used for the matte, but 55 weren't released after striking......care to fill us in, Dan? Nothing on the blog about it, and that's a big spread between minted and released. >>

as I recall,,,,,Dan stated in the thread somewhere that after sand blasting many coins had areas in the surface that chipped out or gave away and were unsuitable for sale. image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
    I'm sure there is a very good reason , when the smoke clears no doubt D.Carr will update his very detailed blog on the mintage's .
  • Anyone get their Matte Yet?
  • He told me mine was shipped on Wed. I'll be looking for it in tomorrows mail probably.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others

<< <i>He told me mine was shipped on Wed. I'll be looking for it in tomorrows mail probably. >>

Ditto here, though it doesn't show 'shipped' in my account, and haven't received a 'shipped' confirmation email. He's apparently hammered with orders (probably due to the article in CW).
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    Haven't received mine yet either but I am not in a hurry. Obviously he got quite a few orders in a short amount of time due to the sell out. A MS-68 and a PL went up on eBay as a combined lot. I have nothing to do with the auction, but will be watching it. I would have separated the coins out in two listings but that is my opinion......

eBay
  • Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Thanks for the info. I'll be watching the ebay auction. I've been wanting to get the proof, what would be a fair price for the 68 and proof?

<< <i>Thanks for the info. I'll be watching the ebay auction. I've been wanting to get the proof, what would be a fair price for the 68 and proof? >>

Considering this went for $235, and this went for $202.50, the pair in that listing, I'll throw out a guess of about $500...give or take (where the PL/DMPL is in the mix). The listing in question will be the tell-all of what these will do on the secondary market for starters...but, don't forget my sig line.....image
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the info. I'll be watching the ebay auction. I've been wanting to get the proof, what would be a fair price for the 68 and proof? >>

Considering this went for $235, and this went for $202.50, the pair in that listing, I'll throw out a guess of about $500...give or take (where the PL/DMPL is in the mix). The listing in question will be the tell-all of what these will do on the secondary market for starters...but, don't forget my sig line.....image >>

You know what is funny is that I am pretty sure last night when I saw the listing it had a buy it now of $435. Which sounded pretty reasonable considering a sold out product. So it will be interesting to see how it ends.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vast majority of matte coins have been shipped as of yesterday.
    A few orders that also contained 2011 Ameros are still pending
    (I've had issues completing the 2011 Amero dies, but I'm getting closer to finishing them).
    I haven't updated the order status on my eCommerce site yet, but will soon.
  • Thanks for the info DC! I'm looking forward to checking out the Matte Proof. Thanks for making it possible.
    I got my two Matte 's today safe and sound and a replacement for the PL that never got into my hands ..........boy , the P.L is the ticket

.....and I predict that will be the one that rises to the top of the most popular list
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All 5.

r95
    .very cool to see all 5 like that together ..............

just think how awesomely cool it would be to see them all like that in PCGS plastic !
    For some reason the phrase "lipstick on a pig" leaps to mind......

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    ........mine are all "hogs" ..........., but really - how many did you buy ? image

• << <i>For some reason the phrase "lipstick on a pig" leaps to mind......

image >>

Somebody's jealous. Na na na na naaaaa naimage
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others

<< <i>

<< <i>For some reason the phrase "lipstick on a pig" leaps to mind......

image >>

Somebody's jealous. Na na na na naaaaa naimage >>

I believe so....he's been a detractor from Day One.....I guess the good (?) Capt. doesn't believe in 'collect what you like'.

<< <i>........mine are all "hogs" ..........., but really - how many did you buy ? image >>

I don't buy counterfeits...............
    or sell them!
  • TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    Will you be selling the canceled dies?
    D. Carr is going to hold on to the dies .............at least for now

and I think it's safe to say the Capt. hate's the Fantasy dollars as much as I love them ..........

so much hate , so much negative input , ...................
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It would appear so. It also appears that some here think if you choose to collect certain categories of that list, you are a 'fool'. I think they would be hard pressed to convince Steph (coinsareus) that she is a 'fool' to collect those gorgeous tokens she is so kind as to share with us. >>

image >>

Wow, that Papal medal has the most detail I have ever seen outside of some of the Conder series. What a beautiful coin!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.......I think it's safe to say the Capt. hate's the Fantasy dollars as much as I love them ..........

so much hate , so much negative input , ................... >>

Ironic considering his sig line says "Hate kills".image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

I don't think Captn is out of line. He has one opinion, he may be right or wrong but that doesn't make him into a hater. There's no doubt that Captn is a traditionalist.image

I've bought all but one of the 1964-D Peace Dollar varieties. I actually like the Brilliant Strikes with full luster the best. I think that they are somewhat cool, but I can't quite wax poetic about these coins like PP. These coins are certainly in a "gray area", and I'm absolutely sure that D.Carr knew that the whole time - from start to finish - while he was designing and producing these.

D.Carr is pretty much a master of the "gray area". That being the case, I think we all know that at some point these coins could be declared off-limits in some way. If that's part of the allure, so be it.

I think that D.Carr has done a heckova job in combining his artistic talent, technical expertise and controversy. His product line needs a little cohesion, imo, but who's to say that too much organization or regimentation wouldn't be a hindrance to his overall efforts?

I say, give the man some room and let him run for awhile. See what else he comes up with. It's becoming an interesting ride. Go, Daniel!image

I knew it would happen.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    And now...on to the 2011 Ameros!

Just ordered my set last night!

Dan's 2011 Amerosimage
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • sure , Mr. Delory is free to express his opinion , but to constantly pound the issue with his disdain for the coins on nearly every thread about them serves no positive outcome ;

and I think is hateful in nature .

Additionally , to accuse D.Carr of outright counterfeiting is libelous , since counterfeiting is illegal and Mr. Carr has been selling his fantasy pieces for several months

without incidence , unless you count the squealing objections of dubious swinish nature voiced on these boards .
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Well, the whole counterfeiting issue in regards to this fantasy piece has been absurd from the get-go, and for the following reasons:

1) Anyone buying or selling this 1964-D issue as a true rarity will already know that 1964-D Peace Dollars don't exist. The exception is in the case of a con-man trying to sell one to the proverbial little ole lady, and the con-man can and will sell almost ANYTHING to the the little ole lady, so this piece is nothing special in that regard.

2) If someone was given or paid with this and told it was a legal tender dollar, the irony is that it's going to be worth way more than a dollar or an ounce of silver. In this case, the seller is going to be on the losing end.

You can argue all kinds of special cases, as you can with anything, but the chances anyone will "fall victim" to this piece of art is no greater than anything else--and probably a lot less.

As in politics, most over-the-top reactions (such as those we've seen on the boards) stem from fear. In this case, it's most likely fear of competition and or loss of assets. After all, if people are buying these, they may not be putting their money into real coins, and therefore, the value of those real coins will drop. The irony here is that if people get really excited about these, they will probably be MORE likely to also purchase some real classic coins. Isn't there a pertinent quote about fear from Star Wars that should go in here?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file