Home U.S. Coin Forum

2007-W P$100 - Newly-Discovered American Platinum Proof Eagle Variety - "Frosted Freedom"

12346»

Comments

• << <i>When you day there will now be a discovery set it implies to me that all three coins are now a part of the same set owned by one owner. Is this correct? It will be interesting to see what the first ff coin brings when one is eventually put on sale. >>

The 3 coins are all owned by 3 different individuals. I own the 1 ounce, a collector in Georgia owns the 1/4 ounce, and a collector in California owns the 1/2 ounce. I meant that the first coin of each denomination will always bear the "Discovery Specimen" label. I do aspire to have all 3 coins joined together one day. Who knows if that will ever happen. I doubt that any of the 3 coins will ever be sold as individuals.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ho Jason
    Thanks for the clarification.
    My comment regarding a sale was based on the assumption that in time another will likely be found and sold.
    How did the finder of the $50 come upon it? Did he happen to have one and checked and noticed it or did he see it somewhere, realize that it was an ff and buy it.
    These ff coins are just so cool. I would so love to come upon one.
    I also wonder if any were melted when plat was over 2k.
    Thanks.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • I would love to have an idea as to the individual value of each coin as well as how much the 3 coin set could be worth together as one lot. The owner of the $50 coin, had 3 - 4 coin sets that he purchased direct from the US Mint when they came out in 2007. After hearing of the Frosted Freedom coins in Coin World, the owner of the $50 coin began to do some research then decided to check his 3 sets. I have hypothesized that the Frosted Freedom coins were all possibly distributed in 4 coin sets. The 1/4 ounce and 1/2 ounce coins both came as part of 4 coin sets. I also believe that my coin was part of a 4 coin set, but I cannot prove it. It is very possible that the first 54 sets sold by the US Mint in 2007, each had one of the Frosted Freedom coins, possibly more. So, 2/3 of the 3 discovered to date, did in fact come from 4 coin sets.... Some may very well have been melted, but I think that most of them are still in safes, safety deposit boxes, depositories, etc... Most of the people out there that have these 2007 coins, probably have no idea about the Frosted Freedom coins. So, it will take years.....
    Thanks very much for the info. I had, I believe, two 4 coins sets which I ordered very early. I sold both in Balto. some time ago. I sure wish that I still had them to check....
  • Just wanted everyone (Mitch - wondercoin) out there to know that I have just received a brand new legitimate offer on my $100 Frosted Freedom coin. The offer is for $52,000. For those out there that have a Proof Platinum registry set, their sets are now incomplete and they will need each of the 3 Frosted Freedom coins.....
  • PCGS coin facts now has the Frosted Freedom coins listed as a "Major Variety."

$25 Frosted Freedom
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jason: Congrats on receiving that offer and thanks for letting me know! Will the coin sell at that level then?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • I am seriously considering the offer. I am just trying to factor in the pcgs registry set even though the coin would have to be cross graded. Am I correct that these 3 Frosted Freedom coins are needed to complete the set? If the person who made me the offer says we have a deal, then it will sell for $52,000. I am willing to accept it.....
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am seriously considering the offer. I am just trying to factor in the pcgs registry set even though the coin would have to be cross graded. Am I correct that these 3 Frosted Freedom coins are needed to complete the set? If the person who made me the offer says we have a deal, then it will sell for $52,000. I am willing to accept it..... >>

Hi Jason,

You are in the driver's seat.
    Sit back and consider your options.
    You can take $50k now, or go on and play the next part of the game!!! image

edited to add: Congrats on your remarkable find and successful outcome!!!!
    Jason-
    Congrats on the offer.
    Contrats also on the mention of your new position in NN.
    This sounds like a very nice offer. In time it's likely that others will surface and dirve the prices down a bit. Something to factor in.
    Best,
    R-
  • gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    jason...

congrats on the offer..... at the present time (6/11) PCGS does NOT require any FROSTED 07's in the Complete Platinum Proof Registry set....would it in the future???....that is a question to ask PCGS....but have they even graded one yet????

personally i would keep it in its current holder as the "Discovery" piece......sort of like Braddick's "Discovery" Cheerios...and not cross it....

jmho

gyros
    Just looking at the pic in the first post of this thread....man that's just soooooo cool!
  • Here's another news flash..... The $50 Frosted Freedom coin has landed in the hands of NGC. I personally delivered it yesterday as I needed to make sure the label would be done properly. The coin is just as legitimate as the first two, although it appears to me that it may be a PF69. We will see shortly..... Please look out for the upcoming NGC press release on the coin. I was also told last night that the Frosted Freedom coins will appear in the latest edition of "The Cherrypickers' Guide." Now that the coin is being considered a "Major Variety", it will more than likely appear in all major coin publications.

By the way, the deal for my coin is DEAD!!!!!

• In October 2011, the one ounce discovery specimen was acquired for $45,000 worth of coins in trade. The coin was acquired by the collector who discovered the second example of the error on a quarter ounce coin.

Looks like the deal was not dead after all image
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to LanceNewmanOCC for mentioning this 2011 link:

In October 2011, the one ounce discovery specimen was acquired for $45,000 worth of coins in trade. The coin was acquired by the collector who discovered the second example of the error on a quarter ounce coin

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘’I wanted to congratulate Mitch of wondercoin for getting PCGS to acknowledge PL in regards to the ATB Silver and the 2009 Ultra High Relief. Its about time that this was accomplished. Way to go!’’

The most disappointing thing in this entire thread from 11 years…

In the past 11 years, I have been unable to convince PCGS to incorporate the use of DPL in their grading of 2009 UHR coins, etc. (just as NGC has done for years and years now).

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file