Home U.S. Coin Forum

2007-W P$100 - Newly-Discovered American Platinum Proof Eagle Variety - "Frosted Freedom"

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
NGC Certifies Newly-Discovered American Platinum Eagle Variety
by NGC on January 13, 2011

Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) has announced that they have certified a newly-discovered platinum eagle variety.

This newly-discovered 2007-W American Platinum Eagle $100 variety was certified by NGC as PF-70 Ultra Cameo.

The latest oddity to surface in the U. S. Mint’s American Eagle Bullion Coin series is a 2007-W platinum $100 piece in proof with an obvious die-polishing error.

This popular coin type, which features a facing eagle with wings outstretched, also includes a shield on the eagle’s breast. Draped over this shield is a banner inscribed with the W mintmark at left and the word FREEDOM at right.

On dies having a normal polishing pattern, this incuse word displays the same brilliant finish as the coin’s fields, thus standing out within the frosted banner. The newly-discovered variety has the word frosted so that it blends in with the rest of the design. Presently unique, this curious coin has been certified by NGC as PF-70 Ultra Cameo, and it’s also identified on the label as FROSTED FREEDOM and DISCOVERY SPECIMEN.

The 2011 edition of R. S. Yeoman’s A Guide Book of United States Coins illustrates this coin type with a U. S. Mint-generated rendering that indeed shows the word FREEDOM frosted, as on this error coin, but that illustration is believed to be a conceptual drawing that predated actual production.

With evermore of the Mint’s die preparation becoming automated, it’s likely that this die simply missed the step which normally would have polished the incuse lettering to a mirror finish. Though the present coin is the first example found with a uniformly frosted finish to the banner, it’s likely that others must have been struck, and collectors are urged to examine their 2007-W proof platinum $100 coins for additional specimens.

Linker

Comments

• Dang! Goldbully... I was hoping you had made the discovery.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dang! Goldbully... I was hoping you had made the discovery. >>

Ah yes, to dream!!!!
    You are one sweet lady!!!! image
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to check your burnished plats for the same error! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a coin that you could easily cherry from a photo.
    I can't afford one even if I found one.

Remember in the movie Mad Mad Mad Mad World where the people say they aren't going to look for the "Big W"... LOL

Good luck:

search 2007 W plats on the bay
    Ed
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting find.

Maybe a few folks will take a closer look at this fascinating series after reading this press release.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Unfortunately for me I sold most of my 2007-W 1oz proofs when Platinum hit $2000+ in 2008.

I bet those 2007-Ws are well dispersed by now.

Not like you can go to most B&Ms or typical show and find any to cherry pick.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was busy buying the Burnished ones and never got around to buying a set of Proofs.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin. I can see these going for some serious money.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The collector who discovered it showed it to
    me at the FUN show last week - very obvious
    if you're looking on the reverse - which I suspect
    many buyers/collectors/investors haven't done yet.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Now we all need to go and see if there are any similar instances in other years or demoninations.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOW COOL!! Can't wait to check mine when I get home...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>Interesting find.

Maybe a few folks will take a closer look at this fascinating series after reading this press release.

Wondercoin >>

Let us hope!!
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>HOW COOL!! Can't wait to check mine when I get home... >>

Same here...I'm trying to remember how many I have in stock.--Jerry

<< <i>The collector who discovered it showed it to
    me at the FUN show last week - very obvious
    if you're looking on the reverse - which I suspect
    many buyers/collectors/investors haven't done yet. >>

Of course, on Ebay there are not pics of the reverses...

Image of the coin without the error........BIG difference!!!!

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else go on ebay trying to cherrypick this? image
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else go on ebay trying to cherrypick this? image >>

It's likely that the person who discovered this, and everyone he told, and the friends of everyone he told, plus all of his own friends, and all the friends of his friends have been scouring ebay for other examples over the last week, so you were probably among the last to look.

I still need to get over to the bank SDB and check my two copies. Mintage was 8363, but some must have been sent to the melting pot, since when sales began on 17 July 2007 the mint was selling them for $1599.95 while the spot price of platinum was fluctuating around $1300., but then soon afterwards, from February to July 2008 platinum was above or near $2000. How many were melted? It's impossible for me to guess and I've asked numerous persons who were involved but without getting anything approaching an answer. NGC has slabbed about 1300 of these, and PCGS about 500, and at least those 1800 were probably mostly spared. But of the other 7000 raw coins there must have been some substantial attrition.
    Checked mine. All normal.

Is there any word of more than one found so far? --Jerry
    Whoops, in my last post I should have written there were about 6500 raw 1 oz 2007 proofs, and not 7000.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    On a side note, how many coins have the legend "The United States of America"?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• << <i>Now we all need to go and see if there are any similar instances in other years or demoninations. >>

it was a 1 year type coin, there are no others...
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
    The discoverer has now been identified: coin dealer Jason Fishman who sells on ebay as jasonfishmancoin. He now has a half-ounce proof platinum 2007 for sale on ebay with his contact information.

<< <i>The discoverer has now been identified: coin dealer Jason Fishman who sells on ebay as jasonfishmancoin. He now has a half-ounce proof platinum 2007 for sale on ebay with his contact information. >>

***I'M AN NGC DEALER #2583, AND I JUST DISCOVERED THE 2007 W $100 - 1 OUNCE NGC PF70 PLATINUM EAGLE "FROSTED FREEDOM" DISCOVERY SPECIMEN" 3265741-001***

eBay Link

As far as I know, this is the only really significant error to date known on American Platinum Eagles, a series which began in 1997, and which already consists of 111 different coins. I've seen other APE errors, but consider them trivial, such as due merely to dirty dies or planchets, resulting in struck-through lint or grease. I've seen a few minor errors caused by planchet flaws or poor strikes. Has anyone noted other errors?

Incidentally, if someone were to obtain one of each and every APE, all 111 of them (not counting the 2007 error), they'd have a total of 52.45 troy ounces of 99.95% pure platinum, according to my arithmetic. The melt value of that much platinum right now at about 8 PM PST Jan. 16th, 2011, with Kitco showing the median between bid and ask at $1819 per ounce, is $95,406.55.
    Agreed. I'm not aware of another significant error in this series. And the minor errors you discuss, like strikethrus, sell at a small discount rather than a small premium. --Jerry
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Agreed. I'm not aware of another significant error in this series. And the minor errors you discuss, like strikethrus, sell at a small discount rather than a small premium. --Jerry >>

At least one 1/10 oz Platinum Eagle (1998 I think) has been certified by PCGS as a rotated die error.
    The rotation is about 15 or 20 degrees.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS certified this one as a "finned edge" error, for what it's worth. Talk about frustrating - it's an otherwise nice coin. It's not a marketable error, like the Frosted Freedom.

imageimage
    imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Those finned edges are very common in my experience.

• << <i>

<< <i>Now we all need to go and see if there are any similar instances in other years or demoninations. >>

it was a 1 year type coin, there are no others... >>

..........................................................................................................................................

None that have been found.............yet.

It took 3 years to find this one.

There may be other errors yet to be reported.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Incidentally, if someone were to obtain one of each and every APE, all 111 of them (not counting the 2007 error), they'd have a total of 52.45 troy ounces of 99.95% pure platinum, according to my arithmetic. The melt value of that much platinum right now at about 8 PM PST Jan. 16th, 2011, with Kitco showing the median between bid and ask at $1819 per ounce, is $95,406.55. >>

That's one major reason why the 1/10 ounce is likely to be the most popular size for collectors in the long run. Best combination of affordability, variety and scarcity.

12 bullion coins (1997-2008), 12 proofs (1997-2008), and 3 burnished (2006-2008) = 27 coins, or 2.7 ounces.

At $1819 per ounce, melt value is $4.911.30.

Maximum possible number of sets = 3,555.

None of the keys are prohibitively expensive (yet).

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

One would think that there must be more of these errors floating around. What is the life of a proof plat die? Pretty short I'd think, but I doubt that The Mint caught this. I will be fun to follow this. It will be a lot more fun to find one.
  • gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭

<< <i>
    That's one major reason why the 1/10 ounce is likely to be the most popular size for collectors in the long run. Best combination of affordability, variety and scarcity.
    >>

yes while it is the most affordable option, the biggest drawback is the small size....the 1/2 oz ($50) option offers a nice balance and the added bonus of the 07 Reverse Proof...

personally my favorite has been the 1 oz ($100)....best way to view all the great details between the mirrored and frosted finishes...

cool find BTW....

<< <i>One would think that there must be more of these errors floating around. What is the life of a proof plat die? Pretty short I'd think, but I doubt that The Mint caught this. I will be fun to follow this. It will be a lot more fun to find one. >>

Good points, Raufus!!!

<< <i><< Incidentally, if someone were to obtain one of each and every APE, all 111 of them (not counting the 2007 error), they'd have a total of 52.45 troy ounces of 99.95% pure platinum, according to my arithmetic. The melt value of that much platinum right now at about 8 PM PST Jan. 16th, 2011, with Kitco showing the median between bid and ask at $1819 per ounce, is $95,406.55. >> That's one major reason why the 1/10 ounce is likely to be the most popular size for collectors in the long run. Best combination of affordability, variety and scarcity. 12 bullion coins (1997-2008), 12 proofs (1997-2008), and 3 burnished (2006-2008) = 27 coins, or 2.7 ounces.
    At $1819 per ounce, melt value is $4.911.30. Maximum possible number of sets = 3,555. None of the keys are prohibitively expensive (yet). >>

That's a good explanation for popularity of the 1/10th ounce size APEs, thanks. Among the arguments against them is that the pro-rated premium over melt is often higher when they are purchased, partly reflecting a higher cost of fabrication, and the value of the coin is relatively lower per cost of slab if they are sent in for grading, in other words one is obliged to spend more for grading per amount of platinum metal. The coins are dwarfed by standard-sized slabs or by OGP single boxes. Just their relatively small size lessens their visual impact if one finds pleasure in the beauty of the designs. Other factors are also involved, and I'm not trying to tell anyone what to collect. I also like the tenths, and am missing only one, a fairly easy one to find, the 2008 ordinary bullion.

<< <i>

<< <i>One would think that there must be more of these errors floating around. What is the life of a proof plat die? Pretty short I'd think, but I doubt that The Mint caught this. I will be fun to follow this. It will be a lot more fun to find one. >>

Good points, Raufus!!! >>

• Just wanted to thank Mike (botanist) for an excellent conversation a few days ago. I have some thoughts on the frosted freedom coin. First, here's a quote from the NGC press release from 1/14. "The 2011 edition of R. S. Yeoman’s A Guide Book of United States Coins illustrates this coin type with a US Mint-generated rendering that indeed shows the word FREEDOM frosted, as on this error coin, but that illustration is believed to be a conceptual drawing that predated actual production." Having compared the frosted freedom to the picture in the book, also having tons of experience sending in 2007 Burnished and Proof Platinum Eagles, I believe this coin very well could be an artists rendition or concept coin. I would not hold my breath believing there is another out there. I could also be dead wrong and there could also be others. There also exists the possibility that there could be one frosted freedom for each denomination. Time will tell and the more time passes, the less chance anyone will find another. Realistically, it is way too premature to make any guarantees of anything. Also, according to NGC, "Presently unique, this curious coin..." If I think I know something, someone else knows something that I don't know. There is also much more to the story that most don't know about.....

<< <i>On a side note, how many coins have the legend "The United States of America"? >>

Credit goes to board member "kranky" for picking up on the The.
    2007 proof/burnished platinums were certainly the only APEs with that full inscription.

<< <i>Just wanted to thank Mike (botanist) for an excellent conversation a few days ago. I have some thoughts on the frosted freedom coin. First, here's a quote from the NGC press release from 1/14. "The 2011 edition of R. S. Yeoman’s A Guide Book of United States Coins illustrates this coin type with a US Mint-generated rendering that indeed shows the word FREEDOM frosted, as on this error coin, but that illustration is believed to be a conceptual drawing that predated actual production." Having compared the frosted freedom to the picture in the book, also having tons of experience sending in 2007 Burnished and Proof Platinum Eagles, I believe this coin very well could be an artists rendition or concept coin. I would not hold my breath believing there is another out there. I could also be dead wrong and there could also be others. There also exists the possibility that there could be one frosted freedom for each denomination. Time will tell and the more time passes, the less chance anyone will find another. Realistically, it is way too premature to make any guarantees of anything. Also, according to NGC, "Presently unique, this curious coin..." If I think I know something, someone else knows something that I don't know. There is also much more to the story that most don't know about..... >>

Welcome to the PCGS forums! And Happy Birthday, for the few minutes remaining of your big day!

<< <i>Just wanted to thank Mike (botanist) for an excellent conversation a few days ago. I have some thoughts on the frosted freedom coin. First, here's a quote from the NGC press release from 1/14. "The 2011 edition of R. S. Yeoman’s A Guide Book of United States Coins illustrates this coin type with a US Mint-generated rendering that indeed shows the word FREEDOM frosted, as on this error coin, but that illustration is believed to be a conceptual drawing that predated actual production." Having compared the frosted freedom to the picture in the book, also having tons of experience sending in 2007 Burnished and Proof Platinum Eagles, I believe this coin very well could be an artists rendition or concept coin. I would not hold my breath believing there is another out there. I could also be dead wrong and there could also be others. There also exists the possibility that there could be one frosted freedom for each denomination. Time will tell and the more time passes, the less chance anyone will find another. Realistically, it is way too premature to make any guarantees of anything. Also, according to NGC, "Presently unique, this curious coin..." If I think I know something, someone else knows something that I don't know. There is also much more to the story that most don't know about..... >>

Jason, welcome to the coin forum....and most of all, congrats on your major error find!!!!! image

• Thank you very much! I am still trying to figure out exactly how major of an error this actually is. I do know it is a waiting game now. We will see if there are more.....
  • While it's probably just a mistake at the Mint, I wonder if it's not a pattern of some kind (as the "Cheerios Dollar" was.) I would do a close comparison of the entire design in relation to a "normal" example of this coin to see if there are any differences in the design. Very neat error!

Jon
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • I have compared the coin to many other and I can see subtle differences. The Mint has not acknowledged this mistake and they say they know nothing about it. So, who really knows the truth here?
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭
    If you look in Eric Jordans bookModern Commemorative Coins you will find several pictures of this variety. it has been hiding in plain sight all along. See page 74 (I think, I dont have it in front of me) for an example. The $50 coins of the same design are showm with a mirrored "Freedom", at least the examples I found.

<< <i>If you look in Eric Jordans bookModern Commemorative Coins you will find several pictures of this variety. it has been hiding in plain sight all along. See page 74 (I think, I dont have it in front of me) for an example. The $50 coins of the same design are showm with a mirrored "Freedom", at least the examples I found. >>

Yes, it seems to show the error. However, as mentioned above by Jason, the illustration used in Eric Jordan's fine book Modern Commemorative Coins was also taken from the mint-generated artist's rendition, and does not depict the actual final coin in which every example so far, except the one newly discovered, has the letters of the word FREEDOM in dark just as are the proof fields.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jason - Congrats on your find! Do you plan on selling the coin any time soon? If so, please keep us informed.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Just got off the phone with coinworld and the article will be on coinworld.com sometime on Monday. Let's give this a few more weeks until the magazine comes out. I believe things may get interesting then.....
  • Here's the artist rendition clearly showing the word "freedom" as frosted.
  • No plans to sell as I want to see if any additional coins are found first. I will keep everyone informed. Thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file