Home U.S. Coin Forum

2007-W P$100 - Newly-Discovered American Platinum Proof Eagle Variety - "Frosted Freedom"

Comments

• The Mint very well may have used a laser in 2007. If anyone has a copy of the 2011 "The Official Red Book", please see page 353. You will find pictures of $100 Proof Platinum Eagles. The 2007 $100 Platinum Proof Eagle shows the same "Frosted Freedom" as in the coin I discovered. I have been in contact with a couple of individuals who will try to have my coin added to the Red Book in the future. When the NGC press release comes out on the $25 Frosted Freedom, we will see what they say this time. Please read the final line which says that collectors are urged to look at their 2007 $100 platinum proof eagles. They make no mention of the possibility of a frosted freedom on a denomination other than the $100 coin. I have been in contact with people who have much more experience than I and some are beginning to agree with me that the Mint may have produced a 4 coin Frosted Freedom set. Because the word Freedom was originally meant to be frosted, they then decided to change it to a "mirrored" finish. I've been to 3 different coin shows including the Long Beach show last week and have received many opinions and ideas on this. Again, be on the lookout for the next NGC press release showing the $25 Frosted Freedom.....
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2007-S Adams dollar proves that the Mint was using laser etching in 2007. Wait till you see the pictures!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Just want to let everyone know they should look out for the March 2011 issue of Coinworld. The Frosted Freedom story has taken a pretty dramatic turn..... This thread will probably be replaced by something a bit more interesting. If you think you had it figured out, guess again.....
  • I have been given permission to show you guys a scan of a 4 coin set which clearly shows the $25 Frosted Freedom which is currently being graded @ NGC.....
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been given permission to show you guys a scan of a 4 coin set which clearly shows the $25 Frosted Freedom which is currently being graded @ NGC..... >>

Somewhere I used to have a letter from the Mint telling me that the Mint never made mistakes on Proofs......
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Just so you know, this was not a mistake. It was what you might say, intentional.....
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    The mint used laser for the first time on an actual product with the National Wildlife Refuge Medals in 2003. With testing they have probably been experimenting with laser for 10 years or more.
  • FYI, it was thought that this may have been a possible laser issue, but I can tell you 100% that is not the case here. I do not doubt their use as they have been using them for a few years.....
  • Everyone please take a look at today's online version of coinworld. The story is right there on the Front Cover!
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    OK. so the mint has made it official that the frosted freedom was a pre-production version that was tweaked slightly for production. This is a very similar situation to the Cheerios Sac. --jerry
    Congratulations Jason! You da man!!!!!

A definite mint-made design change. Should make the Redbook, if not as its own line listing, then at least in the section text or a footnote. See the Redbook comments for the 1798 Heraldic Eagle dollars on the vertical lines in the shield being changed early on. That was one of my discoveries.

TD
  • Thank you very much! By the way, the picture of my coin is already in the red book. They need to add a picture of the correct coin showing Freedom as being "mirrored". The more time I spent looking at the picture in the Red Book, the more obvious it was to me that I had the coin in the book.....

<< <i>Thank you very much! By the way, the picture of my coin is already in the red book. They need to add a picture of the correct coin showing Freedom as being "mirrored". The more time I spent looking at the picture in the Red Book, the more obvious it was to me that I had the coin in the book..... >>

Good point. They used one of the early strikes to make the publicity pictures that they sent out to the publications, just like many of the Sacagawea publicity pictures showed the "Cheerios" reverse that I saw at a press conference in October of 1999.

After the regular issues came out with the revised reverse and I asked them why they changed it, they lied and said they did not. When I pointed out to them that their publicity pictures were different than the coins being released, they lied again and said that the obvious photos were merely "artist conceptions."

TD
  • 12 of the 1 ounce
    21 each of the 1/4th and 1/2 ounce
    0 of the 1/10th

released by accident..............

<< <i>12 of the 1 ounce
    21 each of the 1/4th and 1/2 ounce
    0 of the 1/10th

released by accident.............. >>

BTW, one of the 1/4 oz. was found in a four-coin proof set.
    Check 'em!
    TD
  • Lookout for prices on SEALED 2007 Platinum 10th Anniversary sets. They are going to go higher!!!!!
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen the article, but is the $100 coin a LOW R-7 pattern and the $25 and $50 coins LOW R-6 patterns then? If so, that may better help establish pricing for them.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • They made no such mention about anything pertaining to Low R-7 or R-6...
    Jason... they may not have, but my question still stands.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • I can try and ask. If I get an answer I will let everyone know.....
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    This is very exciting news.image
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Just read the Coin World article, and this is indeed a very exciting find. What's especially interesting, too, is that a number of the 1/2-ouncers may have been melted during the big run-ups in platinum. I haven't even checked the one in my SDB, but it looks like, what, 1/10 of one percent of the coins may be the "frosted proof" variety, except none in the 1/10 ounce coins. I predict these will soon be fetching serious money.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can try and ask. If I get an answer I will let everyone know..... >>

Based on the reported mintages, and if you consider them a pattern, Mitch is politely stating the R-factor. --Jerry
    Exactly Jerry.

I believe Jason had thought for most of this time that he probably had a unique piece (i.e. a high R8). In fact, it looks like these coins (if they are, indeed, patterns) are Low R7 and Low R6 patterns. Still a great discovery of course.

Wondercoin
  • gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can try and ask. If I get an answer I will let everyone know..... >>

Based on the reported mintages, and if you consider them a pattern, Mitch is politely stating the R-factor. --Jerry >>

can either you or Mitch give us a breakdown of the "R" Factor?? i.e. the ladder of rarity i guess....

To the pattern guys:

Unique : 1
    R-8 : 2-3 known
    High R7: 4-6
    Low R7: 7-12
    High R6: 13-20
    Low R6 - 21-30
    R5: 31-75
    R4: 76-200
    R3: 201-500
    R2: 501-1,250
    R1 - 1,250+

Wondercoin
    Gyros: Pricing patterns often takes myriad factors into account. Just last month at major auction, an R-8 pattern fetched less than $12,500 and a High R-7 less than $4,000. Meanwhile, different patterns can fetch multiples of these levels (easy). Again, assuming these are, indeed, patterns.

Wondercoin
  • gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    thank you for the very detailed explanation
  • Just thought I'd share this. I'm not familiar with patterns. I also do not know who to ask that may be able to help out with this.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/CoinDetail.aspx?s=149579&redir=t

Ron Guth: Normal examples of the 2007-W $100 platinum coins show the word FREEDOM (on the reverse) as polished, brilliant letters in contrast with the frosted, unpolished ribbon. In February 2011, a collector, Jason Fishman, reported finding an example with frosted, unpolished letters. The Mint confirmed the existence of this variety, claiming it was a pre-production piece "...inadvertently placed in the production stream during preparation for an internal audit." According to the Mint, only 12 such one-ounce pieces were released, making it one of the rarest varieties of modern times. Similar pieces were made of the 1/2 ounce and 1/4 ounce sizes.

Sources and/or recommended reading:
    Martin, Eric. "Mint Wrongly Releases Pre-Production Coins", Coin World 52, no. 2655 (February 28, 2011), 1 and 38.
  • http://www.coinresource.com/articles/dies_variities_error_numbers.htm

The Sheldon Scale

R‑1 Common

R‑2 Not So Common

R‑3 Scarce

R‑4 Very Scarce (population est. at 76‑200)

R‑5 Rare (31‑75)

R‑6 Very Rare (13‑30)

R‑7 Extremely rare (4‑12)

R‑8 Unique or Nearly So (1, 2 or 3)
  • The URS is a reasonable mathematical progression. One does not need to have a copy with him or her to be able to determine a correct URS. Just simply remember the easy progression.

The Universal Rarity Scale

URS‑0 None known
    URS‑1 1 known, unique
    URS‑2 2 known
    URS‑3 3 or 4 known
    URS‑4 5 to 8 known
    URS‑5 9 to 16 known
    URS‑6 17 to 32 known
    URS‑7 33 to 64 known
    URS‑8 65 to 125 known
    URS‑9 126 to 250 known
    URS‑10 251 to 500 known
  • Just figured I'd list these even though wondercoin has it under control (thank you). I'm not an expert on patterns, but I will try and get some answers.....
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    I have a sealed 10th anniversary set, what are the odds it contains an error?
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • http://platinumeagleguide.com/mintages/

If you have a sealed 2007 10th Anniversary Platinum set, you have a 21/25,519 chance. So, good luck, I hope you find one. It will be nice when the $50 - 1/2 ounce Frosted Freedom is discovered.
    2007 Proof Platinum Eagle Mintages

1 oz. 1/2 oz. 1/4 oz. 1/10 oz.
    8,363 25,519 6,017 8,176
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This find should focus collector attention on *all* the burnished plats and how scarce they are. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is such a fantastic and exciting thread. I wonder how many hands the discovery specimen went through prior to it's discovery.

I've of course checked my few '07 W plat proof w/the expected negative results. I have a few sealed plat. anniv. sets still sealed. Time to break into them?

Thanks for the fantastic discovery and the fantastic thread!! It's about time for the plats to get a little of the well-deserved spot light.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • I am thrilled and I consider myself very lucky to have discovered the $100 Frosted Freedom coin. You would be amazed how many people's hands this coin went through prior to being discovered. Let's just say it was quite a few.....

<< <i>This is such a fantastic and exciting thread. I wonder how many hands the discovery specimen went through prior to it's discovery.

I've of course checked my few '07 W plat proof w/the expected negative results. I have a few sealed plat. anniv. sets still sealed. Time to break into them?

Thanks for the fantastic discovery and the fantastic thread!! It's about time for the plats to get a little of the well-deserved spot light. >>

If I had one I'd open it.
    That's why God invented lottery tickets!

<< <i>I am thrilled and I consider myself very lucky to have discovered the $100 Frosted Freedom coin. You would be amazed how many people's hands this coin went through prior to being discovered. Let's just say it was quite a few..... >>

It's really amazing that you noticed it. Same for Nanny's '08 w/Rev. '07 discovery.

How did you notice it? Did you have it next to some normal coins? Just fantastic!!!!

<< <i>

<< <i>This is such a fantastic and exciting thread. I wonder how many hands the discovery specimen went through prior to it's discovery.

Thanks for the fantastic discovery and the fantastic thread!! It's about time for the plats to get a little of the well-deserved spot light. >>

If I had one I'd open it.
    That's why God invented lottery tickets!

image >>

I have two, will open them tonight.
  • http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=2002&Platinum-Eagle-Frosting-Error-Surfaces

I have personally handled many, many 2007 proof Platinum Eagles. When I looked at the coin, I knew right away that it was different. By the way, please look at today's NGC press release showing the newly graded $25 Frosted Freedom. I guess NGC decided to give themselves the credit for discovering MY coin!!!!!

ANOTHER PLATINUM EAGLE FROSTING ERROR SURFACES

The word FREEDOM is erroneously frosted instead of brilliantly polished.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=2002&Platinum-Eagle-Frosting-Error-Surfaces

I have personally handled many, many 2007 proof Platinum Eagles. When I looked at the coin, I knew right away that it was different. By the way, please look at today's NGC press release showing the newly graded $25 Frosted Freedom. I guess NGC decided to give themselves the credit for discovering MY coin!!!!!

ANOTHER PLATINUM EAGLE FROSTING ERROR SURFACES

Last month’s newsletter included an announcement that "NGC HAD DISCOVERED" a proof platinum American Eagle $100 one-ounce piece coined from dies on which the word FREEDOM had been erroneously frosted. We urged readers to examine their own coins for additional examples. Before any such reports came into us, another denomination of this coin series turned up here for grading. Like the other exanoke, this one is a 2007-W proof platinum piece, but it is the quarter-ounce $25 issue.

I am on the phone with NGC right now and they will be amending this press release. I'm just a bit confused here..... >>

imageimage

Another Platinum Eagle Frosting Error Surfaces
    Posted on 2/15/2011

Last month’s newsletter included an announcement that NGC had discovered a proof platinum American Eagle $100 one-ounce piece coined from dies on which the word FREEDOM had been erroneously frosted. The coin was discovered by Jason Fishman, who submitted it to NGC and we urged readers to examine their own coins for additional examples. Before any such reports came into us, another denomination of this coin series turned up here for grading. Like the other example, this one is a 2007-W proof platinum piece, but it is the quarter-ounce $25 issue.

The incuse letters in FREEDOM appear on the banner draping the shield on the reverse of this coin type, and the letters are supposed to be brilliantly polished, appearing in silhouette against the frosted banner. In this new discovery there is absolutely no trace of brilliant surface within the letters, and they clearly were given the same frosted finish as the rest of the eagle motif.

NGC Linker
    That NGC LINKER story does give Jason Fishman credit for the discovery, so apparently they have corrected their posting.
    Good.
    TD
  • A follow-up investigation by Coin World resulted in confirmation from the U. S. Mint that this was not an error in the conventional sense. Instead, these coins were prototypes that were ultimately rejected by the Mint because the word FREEDOM was insufficiently readable. The choice was made to polish this word for the production coins, and the only error was in accidentally releasing some of the prototypes. Since the discovery of the first example, several more of the one-ounce coins have surfaced lacking this polish.
    So what is the known pop now for all three sizes?
  • Well, well, well. Houston, we have a problem. I have no idea where NGC gets their information from. I do not see ANYWHERE that there have been more $100 examples submitted to either NGC and / or PCGS..... The problem here is in the reporting. Please re read the NGC press release from today February, 15th which has already been revised for now the THIRD time. I am trying to get down to the bottom of the situation.....
  • OK, everything seems to be back to normal here, not sure what that is anymore. I have checked with my sources and so far there are only the 2 examples we currently know about. There are more out there so, I look forward to more being found.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file