Home U.S. Coin Forum

2007-W P$100 - Newly-Discovered American Platinum Proof Eagle Variety - "Frosted Freedom"

Comments

• notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i> There are more out there so, I look forward to more being found..... >>

Not so fast. There are probably more out there. However, in early 2008, during the southern hemisphere summer, power shortages shut down the S African mines and platinum prices went through $2000/0z. The most recent platinum on shelves at the time was the 2007. We don't know how much got melted but you can bet a lot was....so it is entirely possible the other examples have been melted.

Platinum chart 2008
  • Without getting into the question of whether they were or were not actually melted I'll admit to being one of those who in 2008 broke down my 2007 4 coin proof sets and stripped out the 1 and 1/2 ounce proof coins and sold them for scrap at $1950.

15 oz total.

I did keep the 1/4 and 1/10 coins and have checked them for the frosted Freedom but no luck.

Were any 1 or 1/2 oz. frosted Freedoms actually destroyed during the great 2008 meltdown??

We will just have to watch the TPG populations and see how they rise with time.

In the meantime a good cherypick to watch for.................

P.S. For anyone feeling sorry for the potential loss I'll say I used the $$ to buy 4 coin buffalo sets at $2,000 image
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Just checked, I don't have this frosted freedom on any of mine. I bought 3 of the Platinum Anniversary Sets. Kept one and sold the other two. This Frosted Freedom does not show up on any of my past archive pics of these sets.

• << <i>Interesting. Just checked, I don't have this frosted freedom on any of mine. I bought 3 of the Platinum Anniversary Sets. Kept one and sold the other two. This Frosted Freedom does not show up on any of my past archive pics of these sets. >>

Imagine how you'd feel if one of your archive pics showed a frosted freedom. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the big deal? All the 1/2 oz. reverse proofs have a frosted freedom. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting. Just checked, I don't have this frosted freedom on any of mine. I bought 3 of the Platinum Anniversary Sets. Kept one and sold the other two. This Frosted Freedom does not show up on any of my past archive pics of these sets. >>

Imagine how you'd feel if one of your archive pics showed a frosted freedom. image >>

Indeed. The FIRST thing that I checked were my pics from old Ebay auctions for the '07s. I was thinking "just my luck, had one and sold it". Fortunately, not the case.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • I just purchased 2 - 2007 $100 Platinum Eagle NGC PF70 today from Dillon Gage for $2220 each. Considering that my $100 Frosted Freedom was purchased indirectly from Dillon Gage, I figured it would be well worth the risk. Not to mention that the last one sold on ebay was a buy it now for $2500 image
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>This is such a fantastic and exciting thread. I wonder how many hands the discovery specimen went through prior to it's discovery.

I've of course checked my few '07 W plat proof w/the expected negative results. I have a few sealed plat. anniv. sets still sealed. Time to break into them?

Thanks for the fantastic discovery and the fantastic thread!! It's about time for the plats to get a little of the well-deserved spot light. >>

If I had one I'd open it.
    That's why God invented lottery tickets!

image >>

I have two, will open them tonight. >>

Well?????????
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Instead of opening your sealed Platinum Anniversary sets, I would send them into NGC for grading. I would then stipulate that if the 1/2 ounce coin is Frosted, they should then graded is as such. That way, you can still have the 10th Anniversary label. Otherwise, the proof is just a proof.....
  • Since the Platinum Anniversary set was released at the end of 2007, it is highly unlikely that one would find a Frosted $50 coin in said set. The reason being that the 2007 Platinum Proof coins were made available for sale approximately 5 months prior. Chances are that the coins were placed in 4 coin proof sets and individual $50 boxes. Anything is possible but the second scenario may make more sense...

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>This is such a fantastic and exciting thread. I wonder how many hands the discovery specimen went through prior to it's discovery.

I've of course checked my few '07 W plat proof w/the expected negative results. I have a few sealed plat. anniv. sets still sealed. Time to break into them?

Thanks for the fantastic discovery and the fantastic thread!! It's about time for the plats to get a little of the well-deserved spot light. >>

If I had one I'd open it.
    That's why God invented lottery tickets!

image >>

I have two, will open them tonight. >>

Well????????? >>

Sorry! I should have posted this on the 16th. The big 0 as to Frosted Freedoms in my Anniv. sets.

Jason's post on these makes a lot of sense.

<< <i>Instead of opening your sealed Platinum Anniversary sets, I would send them into NGC for grading. I would then stipulate that if the 1/2 ounce coin is Frosted, they should then graded is as such. That way, you can still have the 10th Anniversary label. Otherwise, the proof is just a proof..... >>

Hi Jason-

Thanks very much for your posts!! I just wish that I had read them prior to opening my sets :-(

I got crushed at work and forgot to check this thread prior to opening them.

Thanks!! R-
    My CW just arrived w/the Frosted Freedom story the top story on the cover. FANTASTIC!!!!!! I want one sooooooooooooooo bad.

I hope that this will re-invigorate the plats in general.

It will be interesting to see how many views there are on each ebay auction as folks check for frosted freedom coins.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I gotta agree this is the most exciting error--or variety--I've seen in the past few years. Even more interesting than the '99-w gold eagle "error" varieties.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

<< <i>I gotta agree this is the most exciting error--or variety--I've seen in the past few years. Even more interesting than the '99-w gold eagle "error" varieties. >>

Well, I would respectfully disagree with that. An extra mint mark is a bit more important than a change in frosting.
    MOO
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Drei, who is it you agree with and why?
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

Drei, who is it you agree with and why? >>

Look at his avatar. image
    Actually I was agreeing with CaptHenway. The Frosty '07s are very interesting, but not as significant as the added "W" on the 1999s. However, there appears to be only a fraction of the "Frosties" compared to the "W." If I were a gambling man, and I am, I'd attempt to obtain both!!! image

<< <i>Actually I was agreeing with CaptHenway. The Frosty '07s are very interesting, but not as significant as the added "W" on the 1999s. However, there appears to be only a fraction of the "Frosties" compared to the "W." If I were a gambling man, and I am, I'd attempt to obtain both!!! image >>

Go for it!!!
    TD
    As I'm sure all of you already realize, and just for the sake of getting our terms consistent, the frosted freedom wasn't a production error at all, but rather it was the originally designed version, then changed later by deliberate choice after only 54 coins were minted, if the story relayed to us from someone at the US mint by Jason is accurate. It is therefore not quite comparable to an inadvertent error. Among the remaining questions though, in my mind, is who made the decision to mix the earlier frosted freedoms with the later mirrored freedoms when the coins were distributed? Was that a conscious decision, or was it done by mistake? Who was responsible for either the decision or the mistake? The plot is still unraveling.

• << <i>As I'm sure all of you already realize, and just for the sake of getting our terms consistent, the frosted freedom wasn't a production error at all, but rather it was the originally designed version, then changed later by deliberate choice after only 54 coins were minted, if the story relayed to us from someone at the US mint by Jason is accurate. It is therefore not quite comparable to an inadvertent error. Among the remaining questions though, in my mind, is who made the decision to mix the earlier frosted freedoms with the later mirrored freedoms when the coins were distributed? Was that a conscious decision, or was it done by mistake? Who was responsible for either the decision or the mistake? The plot is still unraveling. >>

For the record, the Frosted Freedom design for the coins was the original concept. As per the coinworld article on page 38, the paragraph entitled ORIGIN OF VARIETY -
    Michael White (of the Mint's office of public affairs) revealed the origin of the coins, writing: "These coins were struck during the pre-production process West Point (Mint)." A small quantity of coins were struck and retained as 'good product' prior to production. "During the pre-production review process we changed the frosting mask to polish the word FREEDOM to make it more readable and went into production with the new dies," wrote White. "We believe the frosted FREEDOM coins, which were struck prior to production of the approved version, were inadvertently placed in the production stream while preparing for an internal audit."
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I might have missed seeing it already posted but the 2/28 CW has the number of these pre-production coins that the Mint said could have been released to collectors.

One ounce - 12
    1/2 ounce - 21
    1/4 ounce - 21
    1/10 ounce - none

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

<< <i>

<< <i>I gotta agree this is the most exciting error--or variety--I've seen in the past few years. Even more interesting than the '99-w gold eagle "error" varieties. >>

Well, I would respectfully disagree with that. An extra mint mark is a bit more important than a change in frosting.
    MOO
    TD >>

It's interesting that both involve frosting: the Frosted Freedoms and the '99 Ws which were struck on unfinished (unfrosted) proof dies.
    It will be interesting to see if any more turn up now that they are on the cover of CW.

• << <i>It will be interesting to see if any more turn up now that they are on the cover of CW. >>

I do believe that more of these will surface eventually. I have been saying and hoping this would happen all along. In a perfect case scenario, the next coin would be the $50 denomination. Also, since there were 21 of the $25 denomination, out of a possible 6015, one would assume that more of them will be found as well. There have to be more out there. I am buying these coins daily hoping to find another one. I was just able to purchase 2 - $100 Platinum eagles NGC PF70 for $2220 each. Take a look on ebay at this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-W-EAGLE-4-COINS-PLATINUM-SET-NGC-PR70UCAM-/190349769143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c51baf9b7
    LINK

Were you thinking one of these is frosted? The $25?

• << <i>LINK

Were you thinking one of these is frosted? The $25? >>

I was amazed to see the 2007 Platinum Eagle 4 coin NGC PF70 set sold for $5115. That was the highest I have ever seen one sell for. I just purchased one for $4200 and the $25 and $10 were Early Releases. Prices of 2007 proof platinum will continue to go higher.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭
    The quarter ounce? I don't think it is.
    Is the $25 frosted?? Don't think so, but horrible pics. Let us know :-)
  • By the way, I didn't buy it for $5100. I won't know if its frosted. I just bought 2 sets today graded NGC PF70 for $4100 per set.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I just can not get moved by this "variety" as it is not an error and so minor that it is barely worth mentioning. I do think that the earlier '99W error gold are significant because of the mintmark.

Still, to each their own. I will eventually get around to looking at what I have and would be glad to sell if the right price. What do you readers think a sell price (retail) should be for any of these?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

• << <i>Wow, I just can not get moved by this "variety" as it is not an error and so minor that it is barely worth mentioning. I do think that the earlier '99W error gold are significant because of the mintmark.

Still, to each their own. I will eventually get around to looking at what I have and would be glad to sell if the right price. What do you readers think a sell price (retail) should be for any of these? >>

If it was barely worth mentioning then how do you account for it making the cover of Coinworld. It must be so minor that its not even worth mention at all, hey?
    It's funny, like many things, it's in the eye of the beholder.

I just love this variety. I like it a lot better than the '99 Ws (of which I have several of both denominations, nothing against them).

The difference is also far more obvious than the Cheerios Sac and the '08 w/Rev. '07 (yes, the '99s and the '08/'07 are errors and not varieties, I know).

I think that this is a fantastic looking coin - the best of the series of three - and the difference is clear between the frosted and the regular.

In addition, there are so few of the Frosted Freedoms, I think that they will do very, very well.
  • If this Frosted Freedom is nothing, then why would you account for the dramatic price increase since the very day the first NGC press release came out on January 14th. Or maybe its just a coincidence. Also, now that the story is on the current cover of coinworld, which I just ordered 150 copies of, I suppose it means very little to even me. The fact is that 7jaguars probably doesn't even have a single 2007 Platinum Proof coin. If he wants any, he came to the right place. Let's start with the 10 - 2007 Platinum Eagle NGC PF70 - 4 coins sets I currently have. Don't worry about getting a frosted Freedom from me because the one I have is not for sale. The other known one is also not for sale. So, maybe everyone should concentrate their efforts on finding one of the remaining 52. Maybe, we now have a reason as to why there is a dramatic price increase in the 2007 Proof Platinum series, as well as a MUCH NEEDED kick start. If anyone wants to know the facts, I have them all right here. In fact, I have more than anyone else knows. So, the saga continues image
  • By the way, THERE IS NO CRYING IN COINS! image

<< <i>If this Frosted Freedom is nothing, then why would you account for the dramatic price increase since the very day the first NGC press release came out on January 14th. Or maybe its just a coincidence. Also, now that the story is on the current cover of coinworld, which I just ordered 150 copies of, I suppose it means very little to even me. The fact is that 7jaguars probably doesn't even have a single 2007 Platinum Proof coin. If he wants any, he came to the right place. Let's start with the 10 - 2007 Platinum Eagle NGC PF70 - 4 coins sets I currently have. Don't worry about getting a frosted Freedom from me because the one I have is not for sale. The other known one is also not for sale. So, maybe everyone should concentrate their efforts on finding one of the remaining 52. Maybe, we now have a reason as to why there is a dramatic price increase in the 2007 Proof Platinum series, as well as a MUCH NEEDED kick start. If anyone wants to know the facts, I have them all right here. In fact, I have more than anyone else knows. So, the saga continues image >>

Who is saying that the Frosted Freedom is nothing? It's a great variety, deliberately created, and time will tell what its significance is within the hobby.

Is it the greatest American coin variety ever struck? No.
    Is it nothing? No.
    It is somewhere in between.

I tried to get a mention of it in the next Redbook, but it was already o n the printing press. I will try again next year.

TD
  • gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭

<< <i>By the way, THERE IS NO CRYING IN COINS! image >>

Jason....every member is entitled to their opinion. Yes your discovery was a great find. Let it speak for itself, period.

The small group of platinum collectors will most likley appreciate it, sadly however the vast majority of collectors will not.

Will this change the platinum collecting base.....probably not, nor will it have any long term, meaningful effect on the price of 07s....as the reward of finding another Frosted is not really worth the investment.

jmho

gyros
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Gyros is right ... I will sell my 07 proof platinum sets at the same level as when there was no "frosted freedom" coins (i.e. no premium at all for that date). Now whether certain "speculators" might overpay to buy what they believe to be a "grandma fresh" 07 set ... that might be a different story.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭

<< <i> Now whether certain "speculators" might overpay to buy what they believe to be a "grandma fresh" 07 set ... that might be a different story. >>

lol....sort of like those "sealed" boxes of Cheerios that sold on ebay for $200-250 post Cheerios Sac's....$250 for a box of oats and a "DREAM"

• << <i>

<< <i>By the way, THERE IS NO CRYING IN COINS! image >>

Jason....every member is entitled to their opinion. Yes your discovery was a great find. Let it speak for itself, period.

The small group of platinum collectors will most likley appreciate it, sadly however the vast majority of collectors will not.

Will this change the platinum collecting base.....probably not, nor will it have any long term, meaningful effect on the price of 07s....as the reward of finding another Frosted is not really worth the investment.

jmho

gyros >>

You are correct that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and "everyone knows everything and no one's ever wrong." The facts are that this HAS already caused a price increase. Who wants to deal with facts? I do.....

• << <i>I believe Gyros is right ... I will sell my 07 proof platinum sets at the same level as when there was no "frosted freedom" coins (i.e. no premium at all for that date). Now whether certain "speculators" might overpay to buy what they believe to be a "grandma fresh" 07 set ... that might be a different story.

Wondercoin >>

All I know is that the $3600 2007 NGC PF70 Platinum Eagle 4 coin sets I bought 60 days ago are now selling for as high as $5,100. You are more than welcome to sell them at pre Frosted Freedom levels. I just sold one for $4500 so I'm not complaining. Thank you for all of the very positive comments. Thank you also for the negative ones as well. That's why the world goes 'round image

<< <i>You are correct that everyone is entitled to their own opinion... The facts are that this HAS already caused a price increase. Who wants to deal with facts? I do..... >>

Hey Jason! Please don't tell everybody else these are going up like gangbusters and hotcakes until after we've cornered the market. image
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have been a platinum collector, esp of the 1/4s and 1/2s but honestly even though I have all of them have not checked my 07s yet. It is fun to make a discovery, and have made a few myself (see my posts on the Cayman Islands 1984-1988 proof sets with regards to the 50c, $1, and $5 dollar coins).

Even better to turn the discocery into cash! Way to go...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Sorry to let the cat out of the bag Mike. But we always have wondercoin to fall back on since he apparently wants to give his 2007 Platinum away at pre Frosted Freedom prices. I want to know what's for sale image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like an idiot, I never bought the '07 4-coin proof set and I bought multiple burnished sets instead.image Not too long ago, I did buy the 1/10 oz and 1/4 oz proofs in addition to already having the 1/2 ozer from the Anniversary Set. Now you are telling me that the 1 ozers are rising? Argh.

Either way, Jason - Congrats!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>Like an idiot, I never bought the '07 4-coin proof set and I bought multiple burnished sets instead.image Not too long ago, I did buy the 1/10 oz and 1/4 oz proofs in addition to already having the 1/2 ozer from the Anniversary Set. Now you are telling me that the 1 ozers are rising? Argh.

Either way, Jason - Congrats! >>

Thank you very much. I mean that all 4 coins have increased in value. Also, keep in mind that the mintage on the 2007 $25 coin is ONLY 6,017 and yet nobody seems to realize this......

<< <i>

<< <i>Like an idiot, I never bought the '07 4-coin proof set and I bought multiple burnished sets instead.image Not too long ago, I did buy the 1/10 oz and 1/4 oz proofs in addition to already having the 1/2 ozer from the Anniversary Set. Now you are telling me that the 1 ozers are rising? Argh.

Either way, Jason - Congrats! >>

Thank you very much. I mean that all 4 coins have increased in value. Also, keep in mind that the mintage on the 2007 $25 coin is ONLY 6,017 and yet nobody seems to realize this...... >>

It figures that the only year that I didn't buy a four coin set was '07. I did buy two 1/4 oz 2007 Plat proofs on the first day that they were offered as I like that denom. Of course, both are non-frosted. Oh well. Being that I ordered them on day one, I had hope. I still love the coins though.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Also, keep in mind that the mintage on the 2007 $25 coin is ONLY 6,017 and yet nobody seems to realize this......"

Yes, I believe you were quite surprised when I first informed you of that! LOL. Now, if I could only figure out how to price my 2007 proof platinum coins to ensure that I am not "giving them away". image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file